Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Kwolok posted:

With cost of living increases and inflation, would the cost to get a PPL be significantly higher now? I live near a small airport with a flight school. I would love to get my PPL, budgeting ~10k for it but I have no idea if that is a reasonable amount of money to expect anymore.

Really depends on what they charge buddy. You'll need a minimum of 30 hours dual and 10 solo. More likely to take between 50-80 hours. Talk to the school, rates differ between schools and planes available.

e. To add, a local flight school to me wants $134 an hour wet for a 152 and $75 an hour for instruction. Ground school there is $600. If you get to the solo stage budget $1100 for a quality ANR headset.

Maksimus54 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Figure about 150MPH in a trainer type plane you could get checked out in and rent.

E. Thats a very broad number, for a very broad question. Give us a budget and you'll really find out.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Kwolok posted:

Still doing some research into ground schools and came across this: https://www.learnthefinerpoints.com/ground-school

Anyone have any insight, it seems pretty great and people online seem to have a great deal of respect for the people behind it, but like everything on the internet, I am always a bit leery.

Looks like a subscription based deal? I've watched his videos and they seem fine, but I think you're better off paying the Kings $300 and have the material forever.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

I was going to fly tomorrow but our club's Sports Cruiser has a problem. Turns out the throttle randomly slams forward into a full open position.

Upon this revelation, discussion ensued. People assure me that this is safe to operate. Well, as long as you have a second qualified and current guy in the cockpit who can make sure there's at all times at least one hand on the throttle. Because of the throttle-jumping-to-full-open-uncommanded when you're busy doing something else. It was discussed whether rubber bands or a string of cloth could be used as a temporary fix. A friendly guy kindly volunteered to go up with me and make sure the throttle would behave.

Then people with authority read the discussion and well, plane's grounded now lol.

Does Boeing run your flight school? What the actual gently caress!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
At the least make a squawk so the flight school is aware. It's "probably" not going to kill you or others but a papertrail might scare them into action. We had an exhaust crack on our C177 that we didn't know about, a couple failed CO monitors helped point it out.