Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

azflyboy posted:

The other thing to be aware of is that the Jeppesen private pilot textbook is a huge rip off. All they're doing is repackaging a couple of FAA publications (the airplane flying handbook and pilot's handbook of aeronautical knowledge) that are free online with shiny pictures and some questions at the end, and then charging $90 for it.

The Jeppesen Private Pilot Syllabus is a different book though. Having a syllabus, any syllabus, is cool and good and you should probably think twice about any flight school that does not follow one.

And the pay and print versions of Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge are worth paying for over the free ones (eventually, if you end up using them a lot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Yes, hassle them. If they feel hassled over what should be routine questions, we'll maybe that's a sign you shouldn't give them thousands of dollars and trust them with your life. IMO a school that has its stuff together will have a lot of the basic information on their website.

Basically you want a school that is safe, has known up front costs, clear goals and progression, easy scheduling, and fits your needs. Some questions to get there:

Get their rates, the plane's hourly rate with fuel and the instructor's hourly rate, their ground instruction rate and requirements (they might not do a full ground school but might tack on a standard 15 minutes of ground time for pre-flight and post flight, extra first lesson pre-flight, pre-solo oral exam).

Find out what planes they have, tail numbers so you can lookup models and history, ask what checkout requirements they have for each. Do they have aircraft available for high performance and complex endorsements, IFR and multi engine ratings (if you want to go down that path eventually)? Do they have checklists available for you to review on your own? Who does their maintenance? If you really want to hassle them, grab a renter's checklist like this one: https://twisted-wrench.com/Renter.html

How many instructors do they have and what are their ratings? Do they usually keep you with one instructor or is it whoever available?

What training materials are required? Do they have a syllabus that they follow? This is where I like Jeppesen because if you need to change schools for whatever reason, it's like saving your progress for anyone who uses the same material. But any syllabus is going to be about the same.

How do you book instruction? Are you using an online system like Flight Circle or Flight Schedule? Can you see their current schedule (and next week's, and the next week's) to see how busy they are/how far in advance ypu need to book? Are they on top of instructor and aircraft availability? How do they make sure you're not booking a plane when the annual or 100 hour inspection is due? What are the cancelation policies on their part (aircraft availability, weather, etc) and your part (emergency, non emergency).

A lot of this is seeing who passes the smell test and eliminating the ones that stink, so don't get too overwhelmed with trying to answer all of them. Or any of them. Just find a school that is safe, has known up front costs, clear goals and progression, easy scheduling, and fits your needs.

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 6, 2023

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Kwolok posted:

Sounds good, I'm leaning towards https://www.ltfsd.com/rates

The rates seem good and the site contains a lot of good info. But I'm always nervous about schools because man some of them can be poo poo

Looks good to me. The website already hits most of the important parts. At some point you just need to roll the dice, but with all the training they offer I'm betting they want to keep students through multiple ratings and endorsements, and would keep retention up by being not poo poo. And you've got 7 other choices nearby if they are poo poo. Your hours transfer.

And you can train in a Beech 18? BADASS

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 6, 2023

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

I dread what those videos are going to show.

Tertiary minimums

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Aw a lil goon meet cute :3:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Walrusmaster posted:

I'm also a dumb fixed pitch pilot, but I assume there would be a table in the POH with power settings at various rpm/manifold pressure combinations.

Yes that's it.
Wipe open throttle means the atmosphere at your altitude is setting the manifold pressure, so you just have to set your prop for the RPM at your desired power level, then your mixture for rich of peak or lean of peak.

It's going back to juggling two knobs instead of three.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Arson Daily posted:

turbo compound

WELL ACKSHUALLY I think you mean compound turbo. Turbo compounding is a completely different thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-compound_engine
Turbo compounding is a really cool technology that you will probably not encounter save for some extreme edge cases

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
It's still being used now. Freightliner has it in some engines, but I don't think Daimler is using it anywhere but in North America. Volvo is using it in Volvo, Mack, and Renault engines in at least North America and Europe. They are for fuel economy now, but sometimes an OE might add TC to an Australian engine package for extra power with road trains.
Here's the Greg's Airplanes video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbMgwDIdScY

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

quote:

Salary
$152,258 - $152,258 per year
That's double what I was expecting. I thought astronauts did not get paid well.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

KodiakRS posted:

DCS ... a fraction of the cost, time, and effort investment.

Haha, good one

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Waiting on the local airport to call me back with hangar waitlist info. I think this is the year of “owning an airplane research.”

Good luck. Call all of them and get put on the wait list now.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Yeah unfortunately the only way to get hanger space now is to buy a place that comes with hanger space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

epswing posted:

What are the requirements/credentials a person needs to become an NTSB investigator?

AV Web videos have gotten boring as poo poo lately, but I did find this one interesting. Interview with Kristi Dunks​, Deputy Director for Regional Operations at NTSB. She talks about becoming an investigator somewhere in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHW4C56q_NA&t=748s