Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

*placeholder for smartass comments and gallows humor*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

Typically, you will monitor 126.7 and make position reports, or if you own a Vans, you will not.

Don’t gotta make position reports from the overhead break, bra.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

When you ask for the block 410-430, everyone knows what you’re really doing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

For shits and giggles, I'll occasionally add up what Embry-Riddle charges, and last time I'd checked, they're up to well over $300,000, and that's assuming they don't raise prices in the intervening four years.

Recently there was a group of Riddle rats on a tour of ZMA. They parked four or five of them up behind our high sectors while it was pretty slow, so I was answering questions and such, shooting the poo poo. I was making a point of being on my best behavior, not saying “gently caress” quite as much as normal, etc. I was also consciously staying away from any topic that could be construed as economical or political, when one of them asked how the hiring process worked when I got hired, and where I went to school.

I told them about the process itself (it’s changed significantly since my time,) and that I didn’t go to school for Air Traffic, that I’m a mechanic which got a couple eyebrows. Another kid asked me point blank if I’d recommend taking an Off-the-street bid if it meant leaving riddle early without a degree.

I finished a clearance, turned fully around to look him in the eye, and said “you know what the difference between (pointing at my coworker) this guy and me is? $150,000 in student loans.”

And I turned back around. The professor/chaperone shuffled them all directly out of the control room.

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

“No Degree lol” on my nice rear end tombstone

Degree programs are a wonderful, necessary thing. Just not for ATC. Or for pilots, honestly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

Also — if you get a degree, for God’s sake get it in something other than aviation. Study something you’re passionate about, something that will help you be a better pilot (meteorology maybe?), something that will help you manage a business if you don’t want to go the airline route, something that will make you money if your medical craps out. Anything! Other than aviation…

:emptyquote:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Your instincts were 100% correct. That mechanic has normalized enough deviance that he’s absolutely gonna loving kill someone, it’s just a matter of when.

Condolences on trying to find an alternate rental though. That part sucks real hard right now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

the milk machine posted:

i'm just rolling an idea around in my head, but are there any a&p mechanics here? what's that like for work? how intense is the training?

I went to a part 147 school back in ~2004-2006 to get mine. I spent not quite three years as a line mechanic for a (literally and figuratively) fly-by-night ACMI airline, and was unable to find work after my airline went out of business in 2008. I got hired by the contractor that was running the FAA’s ATC training at the time as a Remote Pilot which is just about the lowest-responsibility gig on the planet (for more money than I was making turning wrenches,) which is generally inhabited by controllers’ kids and such, and got hired by the FAA as a controller after that.

I don’t regret getting my A&P, but it’s a tough sell as the 147 program exists today. The pay is good but not great, the lifestyle is not everyone’s cup of tea, and the work can be physically demanding. Knowing what I know now, I would have gotten my FE license while wrenching and turned that into my pilot ratings later.

I have gripes about ATC presently, but it’s still an excellent gig if you can maintain a medical but don’t want to be a pilot for some reason.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

Heard Norse Atlantic on the radio yesterday, the callsign “longship” is so cool.

:black101:

Their flight crews are chill as gently caress too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m a grown-rear end man, I’m not saying Moonflower.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

Now is not the time to share that particular story in full. But, suffice to say, it looks like you can talk yourself from a major error into a critical error if you’re stubborn enough.

With enough grit and determination, anyone can turn a major error into a dangerous situation!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob A Feet posted:

Well, the reality of being a first officer at a plucky, small, culturally rich Texas based air carrier has become slightly better. The new contract was almost completely rewritten and has patched in a lot of the open holes. I still have some skepticism about some parts of it but at this point, eh 🤷🏻

The internet chatter seems to be saying that it’s alternately the second coming of Labor or the worst thing that’s happened to SWA since they did away with FA miniskirts. Any details on what’s good and bad? Trying to live vicariously through people whose union actually gets them paid.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/delta/s/5vYI7FcFQ7

How much artwork do you usually get done during cruise?

Thought I was in the cursed images thread for a minute there.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kwolok posted:

As someone going through my first few instructed flights (Just practiced power on stalls), its crazy to me hwo people can be so careless with flying. Like I am overly anal no doubt, but its just mind boggling to me you can be that bad and so carefree about it.

By the time I touched an airplane for real for the first time, I had been reading fighter pilot memoirs and I Learned About Flying From That columns for years. I had family members that were both civilian and former military pilots. I had a healthy respect for both the machine and the environment in which it operates. This has only become more true with time and further experiences.

Unfortunately, not everybody entering aviation has these advantages, and a lot of them think an airplane is a Toyota with wings and that you just have to memorize some laws so you don’t get in trouble.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arson Daily posted:

"southwest 420 y'all got stairs in your house?"

"southwest 420 i am protected"

I have done this to a GTI 767.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Not THAT one, but I did talk to that one on the way out. :negative:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

They have diesel diamonds?

The NGs are Austro FADEC turbocharged diesels with constant speed props. Last trip I did I managed 138ktas at 11,500, at 7.1gph.

They’re pretty fuckin nice airplanes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

i am kiss u now posted:

How do you get oil and grease off your hands? A little bit of 100LL works wonders!

I’ve used a compressed air siphon gun with 100LL to degrease cowlings. AMA.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

yellowD posted:

explains your state of residence

A great many other things as well, tbh.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shame on an IGA posted:

Hadn't heard that acronym before and discovered some serious Graphic design is my passion

https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/files/2022-03/WATRS.pdf

Oh my sweet summer child. My daily briefing feed at work is a cavalcade of lovely boomer clipart interrupted only by FAA-template PowerPoints that could easily be a simple memo and GENOTs for new call signs that are still scans of a paper fax from ICAO for some loving reason.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

King is old and cringy, just like the subject matter.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BobHoward posted:

That's some impressive precision flying. I wonder if the pilot built it in different vertical layers, to avoid loving up already-drawn lines while doing others.

Skytyping is actually relatively tame. The aircraft fly a very stable formation and the computers do the rest.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

Did you watch the video? That isn't skytyping. Classic all-manual skywriting.

It… Absolutely is. I was replying to something that was clearly skytyping, but very well might be a figment of my fatigued mind. I have no idea what I was looking at.

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

the milk machine posted:

I have some questions about constant speed props

The normal procedure for changing power seems to be "prop forward, throttle forward" to increase or "throttle back, prop back" to decrease. I understand in general this is to prevent pressure surges in the prop regulator.

Does this mean it would be some flavor of bad to, for instance, reduce the throttle without also reducing the prop speed or similar?

Does it work the same for turboprops or is there something different about their power bands? Watching random pilot youtube vids makes it seem like they're more like max for takeoff and then pull back for cruise.

One more: for piston planes with constant speed props, people talk about varying rules of thumb about running the prop/engine "square", ie the manifold pressure less than, equal to, or greater than the rpm/100. Others say as long as you're within the limits in the POH you can do whatever. Is there anything mechanical about this, or is it more of a shorthand for not remembering or looking at power charts? Assuming the power output is the same, is there some advantage to running higher pressure + lower rpm vs lower pressure + higher rpm?

Think of the CS prop as a CVT transmission. It varies load to equal power output, in order to achieve the commanded RPM. This is used to reduce wear and tear, temperatures, improve fuel economy, and reduce noise. Running the engine at a lower RPM and higher manifold pressure increases the effective cylinder pressures. This can improve fuel economy, but is only possible to the point that it starts causing preignition, knocking, or other ignition issues. Airplane engines have fixed ignition timing, so you can’t use ignition curves to improve this behavior like car engines do. Think of a car engine being lugged in top gear at highway speeds with the pedal down. That’s similar to what you’re doing to an aircraft engine running too much MP at low engine speeds. Running an engine with the MP higher than RPM is completely fine, if the manufacturer says it is. (They almost all say it is, within limits.)

Now think of eighty-plus years of hangar “wisdom” being applied to the operation of an aircraft engine. It’s all smoke and mirrors and shade tree bullshit. Follow the instructions in the PoH.

Turboprops are a whole different ball of wax, and fall into two very broad categories: Single-shaft and free-turbine. Again, very broadly speaking a single shaft turboprop has the propeller directly connected to the power turbine through a reduction gearbox. The engine essentially runs at 100% RPM even at idle (with almost no load) and the blades remain in flat pitch. When you advance the power lever, the blades move towards coarse pitch at the same time the fuel control is adding additional fuel, generating thrust. The engine governs itself to maintain nearly the same RPM at all times. These engines are mostly obsolete, but are probably best represented in modern times by the TPE331 series.

The other type is the free-turbine. This type is widely represented across the manufacturers, and is best represented by the Pratt and Whitney PT6.

The prop here is again connected to the power turbine through a reduction gearbox, but the power turbine is on a second spool inside the engine. That is to say, the compressor turbine and the power turbine are attached to separate but concentric shafts, and are free to turn at different RPMs. This type of engine uses a constant speed prop that is of very similar concept (during flight operation) to that on a piston engine, but whose governor works in a different way.

I’m not even going to begin to explain it, so here’s a primer on the PT6 prop governor specifically. This type of engine and prop combination is more modern, safer, cheaper, and more reliable, and is the flavor that’s been chosen by basically every engine manufacturer for the past fifty years.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/779261100

quote:

Travel Required
76% or greater - Extensive travel required

:allears:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Salami Surgeon posted:

That's double what I was expecting. I thought astronauts did not get paid well.

They pretty much only accept candidates with advanced degrees and/or significant applicable experience, so frequently they are wildly underpaid compared to what they could earn in the private sector.

The office is pretty cool tho.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m a club member with DA40NGs.

It’s tits.

The engine is superb, if slightly underpowered. The climb rate is uhhhh. Gentle. Oh, and if you’re over ~6’2”, it’s kind of a crapshoot on if you physically fit in the thing. The seats are fixed and the rudder pedals adjust, so if your torso is too tall, you’re just SoL. Rudder forces can be a bit high as well if you’re used to a 172. Plenty of authority, just heavy.

The bad stuff out of the way, holy poo poo the engine. Literally automotive stuff, so it starts without having to think about it. It’s FADEC with a constant speed prop, and it’s turbocharged, so it makes power all the way up. (Critical altitude is ~12500ft) It’s slippery as well, so 90% power gets you 140ktas or more above 6000ft. Since the engine is liquid cooled, you get a water/air heater core that doesn’t try to CO poison you when something cracks, and hooooo boy does the heat kick rear end. This is actually another small negative in warm climates: You’re right up against the engine, and you can tell. It’s really nice when it gets cold out though.

Cockpit visibility is superb; Better than a 172 in my opinion, despite the wing. The elevator and ailerons are pushrod actuated, so the stick has just excellent control feel. There’s just a takeoff and a landing flaps setting, with most of the lift coming with the former, and the latter functioning essentially like speed brakes.

The G1000nxi/GFC700 loving rules. It’s everything you could want in a GA airplane. It has absolutely ruined me on any other panel. Oh, and it has an air conditioner. It’s not able to keep up with South Florida summers (that canopy greenhouse is in desperate need of tint,) but it’s noticeable even then. It keeps you from wanting to die during taxi-out and initial climb.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s a Cessna. Open the window. The big one. Hang your elbow out during slow flight like it’s a Chevrolet.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

I used to feel self-conscious about squawking dumb little things like a loose window hinge or a finicky radio knob. Like, it's stuff that is objectively broken, and with my background and experience it bothers me when mechanical things aren't working properly and I will go out of my way to put them back the way they're supposed to be. For instance, right now I am casting a bunch of custom shaped silicone bushings in a 3D printed mold because some of the fairing mounts on my motorcycle are dried out and you can't get the original part anymore. Most people just use a stack of generic rubber washers to approximate the right shape and it works fine. But that's not right. So here we are :spergin:

Anyway, I saw these small things that bothered me, but I didn't know whether I was clogging up the mechanics' inbox with stuff I should just ignore. As a result I wrote some of the squawks apologetically.

The MX chief found me eventually and said no, please absolutely report everything that you notice if you even suspect it might be wrong, because we'd much rather replace a 5 cent locknut on the window hinge right now than the entire window when it falls out in flight a month from now.

Squawk all day erryday

The only thing more expensive than maintenance is not doing it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

Fastest update ever, the entire CLT area is out of hangar space until the end of time.

LiterallyEveryMetroAreaInTheUS.txt

Aviation is rapidly becoming a hobby for well to do people who live in the sticks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vahakyla posted:

On the air force T-6, there’s this little green box or something, dunno how to describe it, that sits above the EADI. You are supposed to adjust your seat rails and height so that you cut that little 1x2cm green box precisely from the centerline with your brow panel while using your gaze. You do this every time you sit in it.

Sim, full motion sim, and the real deal. It all just sits perfectly!

It’s crazy how effective it is. I definitely didn’t give two shits about it initially.

It’s common in lots of bigger airplanes. Airbus and Douglas both use(d) a trio of balls in the windscreen divider for the two flight crew to align their eye position. I think Airbus calls it the Eye Reference Indicator.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

epswing posted:

What are the requirements/credentials a person needs to become an NTSB investigator?

Field investigators have a really simple list of basic requirements, but frequently come from wildly varying backgrounds. Aeronautical engineers, materials engineers, senior flight crew, experienced MX people and inspectors, etc. There’s a couple slots for ATC liaison people that help collect and organize that side of incidents that hires exclusively controllers that I’ve had my eye on, but it’s a pretty significant pay and benefits cut for me. Basically my backup plan if I lose my medical.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

This is drifting off into trivia land that may be better for one of the other aviation threads (AI or the TFR Cold War one which appears to be on a forum safari atm) but has there ever been a bail out from a transport category aircraft which… well, didn’t involve DB Cooper, I’m feeling too lazy to figure out the qualifiers there.

A few airliners, or rather prototypes, special variants and their military derivatives have had special equipment for emergency bailouts. I know some examples include the 747 prototype, the 747 based space shuttle transporter, the P-8 (and P-3 - it’s an Electra). Have any actually been used? The 747 bail out tunnel description I found once sounded about as practical as the ejection seats on the space shuttle orbiter.

There was a bailout from another 727 in 2012.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Boeing_727_crash_experiment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya unusual attitudes is all about IGNORING what your inner ear is telling you, opening your eyes, interpreting your instruments, and then acting on that information instead of whatever your reptile brain is screaming at you. Which is wrong.