Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Does anyone here have first or second hand experience with the flight training programs the airlines have started in the U.S.? They seem like they might be the way to go for training if you're interested in going down the 121 route but knowing airlines they could also be overpriced pilot mills that exploit students. They haven't been around long enough to develop a reputation that I've heard about even though I fly for an airline that has one.

e.pilot posted:

Give me an idea of different aircraft rental prices.
Wet hobbs time for my school (03/2012):
172M - $97
172R - $117
172SP - $127
172 Glass - $142
182 - $195
Instructor - $55

This info is over a decade old at this point. I don't know what rates are like these days but I'm guessing they have increased since then.

Feel free to update me to PHX/A320 in the op although I will soon be LAX/777 because I suck at bidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

Get a load of mister wide body over here! Congrats on the new type :cheers:

Really wish we still flew 330’s. I wanna go wide one day but I love DA BUS.

Thanks. I was aiming for CLT 777 but I didn't think I would get it. So I put in a bid for LAX 777 to get on the equipment earlier and then transfer domiciles when I could hold CLT. I did some thinking and realized that if things changed in CLT, or it got more senior, I could be stuck in LAX for a long time. So I decided to remove my LAX bid.

Except I forgot to actually remove it.

And then it went ~2,000 numbers junior to CLT/777 with me as the one of the lowest awards.

oops.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rookie airline pilot mistake. Ideally you want to be the least qualified pilot on the reserve list but dodging an LA qual on OE is pretty difficult. On the plus side long San Juan overnights are freaking awesome and half our pilots avoid them because they think it's a foreign country.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I was thinking of their other carrier, the John Wayne

You're thinking of Burbank in northern Los Angeles, not John Wayne in southern Los Angeles.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

azflyboy posted:

Assuming the story is true, this was just a case of which of the majors was going to blink first.

It's true but it's not what you think:

While there is strong financial, staffing, and scope relief incentive to merge ENY/PDT/PSA into AA there's been no official announcement of a merger. This is just APA saying they're looking into it the same way DALPA did with Endeavor a while back. The other possibility is that it's a scare tactic by APA to dissuade participation in an ongoing ALPA card drive. For various reasons AA pilot trust in APA is at an all time low and a lot of us are interested in seeing what replacing them with ALPA might look like. APA has not been handling it well at all and has resorting to scare tactics like this:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is APA attempting to tell it's pilots "Only APA can protect you from ALPA regional pilots trying to steal your seniority." I wrote a giant 1,500+ word shitpost about it but decided there had been enough posting about poo poo in here recently.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

A Sneaker Broker posted:

22, and the ultimate goal is to be a commercial or cargo pilot. Not picky, as I just want to fly for a career.

If you're not currently going to school or working the big full time pilot schools are your best bet. Most smaller flight schools are designed to fly students once or twice a week, not every day. Keep in mind that going from zero to professional pilot in a year or so will cost a ton of money. If you don't have a giant pile of cash hanging around you will want to look at schools with cadet programs or secure some sort of financing before starting.

I would highly suggest doing a few flights at a local flight school to see if you actually like flying before making a huge financial and time investment.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Were you in a neo? CPDLC makes it feel a bit weird when you do do a sel call check and then don't talk on the radio for several hours.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

There were two on social media. One about a sky writer drawing a smiley face over somewhere, and one about Allegiants pilot contract with was sky typed over the superbowl.

Both were neat but neither obtained the legendary status of the sky "writing" over Whidbey Island a few years ago by some F-18s.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Not a bad way to make a living is it? Did you go through with the LGA thing or are you going to stay where you're at?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Sitting on an a319 that isn't departing because "there is an inoperative equipment or system, which we are legal to fly without, but to do so requires a qualification which none of the pilots have". I can't think of what that could possibly be. They're waiting on a company phone call, so maybe it's a company policy thing, not FAR. Any ideas what could be broken?

My best guess is rvsm related, which doesn't seem right.

I'm scratching my head as to what this could be. The only things that require special qualifications for broken equipment are post maintenance or ferry flights and paying passengers are strictly prohibited on those. My guess is that something got lost in translation, maybe a pilot wasn't comfortable flying with a certain system inop based on the circumstances and somehow that ended up getting announced as "the pilots aren't qualified."

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

As someone with big dumb feet (US size 13 4E width) l just used newbalance sneakers as a student and Dunham dress shoes as an instructor.

A lot of instructors will tell you to keep your heels on the floor to prevent landing with brakes applied. I've never been able to do that while still maintaining proper rudder authority so I'll just leave my feet on the pedals in a "normal" position and make sure I only press them with my heel and not the whole foot until I'm ready to use brakes.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Now that I'm on the 777* I get a total of 2-3 landings per month at best. I've been feeling the same itch to get back into GA but I've found that messing around in virtual reality in DCS scratches the "Actually flying an airplane" part pretty well for a fraction of the cost, time, and effort investment. That plus I get to pretend to land airplanes on boats which is usually not allowed under part 91.

*If we're still doing OP updates I'm now officially LAX/777

Rolo posted:

Crazy to think I've been at the airline for a year.

Congrats! What's next, CA, widebody FO, or senior narrowbody FO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I ask because while it is hard to come up with a scenario where it’d make sense to do it and the g forces+pressurization situation actually support it being possible some aircraft/missions have been set up for it.

A United 232 type situation where you have limited control but not enough to land is the only thing I can think of.