Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
7600 problems but a radio ain't one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
On the 175 pulling the fire handle back into the aft detent shuts off fuel and hydraulic, turns off the fadec, shuts off the IDG and arms the fire bottles. To discharge the bottles the handle must be rotated either left or right (for A or B fire bottle, respectively).

If the bottles haven't been discharged, stowing the fire handle back into the fwd detent will undo everything and the fadec will attempt to automatically relight the engine.

If the bottles have been discharged, I honestly don't know. Not sure if we couldn't relight due to procedural limitations or if there's a system interlock to prevent it.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Yep, it was a ERJ-175. Horizon doesn't operate CRJs.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Yeah, I think the design philosophy behind most jet engines is "if the pilot wants it on during flight it's probably for a reason" and it'll do it's darndest to get turning. Kinda how modern fadecs will auto shutdown an engine on the ground if on fire but not in the air.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Sucks to be a Captain these days between jumpseaters trying to kill the engines and FFDOs trying to kill you.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
You may have answered your own question there.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

Freight dawgs don't usually go through kcm as part of their jobs.

Yeah but flying to artesia for a week (2weeks?) and then having to jump through all the hoops to keep current isn't worth the squeeze for me so that's why I don't want to do it. Although lately it's been more tempting. Anyway get rid of that program it's stupid as gently caress

G43 I have bad news about that sks...
Good points! Forgot not everyone is subject to the whims and incompetence of the mighty TSA.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
KCM is the fall guy here. We really need to get rid of the TSA or at least have them start hiring people with IQs above ambient temperature.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Eh, right now the talk is to keep Hawaiian and Alaska operations separate. Most of the pilots I've spoken to at Hawaiian are excited, which is admittedly just anecdotal and based on a single day's interactions.

We're still slotted to receive the 787s and more A330 Freighters for the Amazon contract. No information has come through about changing or cancelling these orders.

Today was my most entertaining Pacific crossing to date. Gossip on 123.45 was awesome lol

e: I want Delta to butt in and get into a slap fight with Alaska over Hawaiian.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Both are ALPA carriers and have Merging clauses in their respective PWA. A joint working agreement and eventual seniority list merge will have to be worked out, but Hawaiian internal comms are stating that livery and branding are to remain separate.

I don't know how they'll structure this merger. From what I can tell, it'll all fall under the Alaska Holdings parent company, so they could very well keep Alaska, Horizon and Hawaiian as separate entities.

If a new, common, PWA gets negotiated between Alaska and Hawaiian I certainly hope they keep Alaska's Snap Up compensation clause. It'll be a solid pay raise for Hawaiian pilots, especially on the narrow body side.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Rolo posted:

What do you guys think about trips that end with a red eye? I’m gonna try to volunteer for one this week that has one leg home that pays 2 days. Yeah I hit the pillow at like 6am but then I’m off for the rest of the day before getting another 4 days off. Seems kinda dope.
I personally hate outbound red eyes but don't mind red eyes as the go-home leg. Once.Inget home I just eat a light snack and take a 2h nap and I'm good to go for the rest of the day. I do my best to avoid multiple red eye trips in a row though.

E: my tolerance for red eyes increases if it's an enhanced crew, but we do have a cushy crew rest bunk.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Kwolok posted:

Cool thanks for all the help everyone. I got my class 3 medical clearance, and I am going to schedule my first flight for a bit later in the month. Time to start shopping for headsets!

Congrats on the medical! Make sure you go to at least one physical pilot supply shop and try the headsets on! Fit is more important than the brand. You also get to chat with people in the industry who are usually happy to help those starting out. If you think aviation will be at least a long term hobby, an ANR (Active Noise Reduction) headset is a solid investment.

172 vs Archer chat: if you're a big/tall person or have some sort of reduced mobility, getting into and out of a 172 is at least an order of magnitude easier than a Piper.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/kxngspade/status/1732847708870680831?s=46

I want to ask a question along the lines of “what do you do if this is your plane” but keep returning to just “what the gently caress” which I guess is technically a question.
:wtc:

I kept trying to come up with something better than "what the gently caress" but that sums it up nicely.

Eating a meal cooked inside of an airplane lav and scooped out of the sink into a sick sac probably counts as time served if the airline decides to prosecute him for whatever. Solid grounds for committing him to a mental institution though.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Hell yeah! Both are great training airplanes.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

MrYenko posted:

With enough grit and determination, anyone can turn a major error into a dangerous situation!

Sagebrush posted:

Cruise speed is directly proportional to how much money you're willing to spend.

Voted :five: went hog wild

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
You're probably looking at a C182 or Piper Warrior/Cherokee. Both are likely a significant step up on rental prices compared to a 172 or an Archer.

A Van's RV or Grumman Cheetah or Tiger might be cheaper if still fast, if you can find them to rent.

cigaw fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 17, 2023

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Agreed. Much as I enjoy flying recreationally with friends and family, flying solo is The poo poo.

I need to get back to GA stat.

e: I'm out of probation at Hawaiian! They can't fire me for being an idiot and I get a pay raise! :toot:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Yep.

https://youtu.be/v6Hs4ll93Ms?si=D-Mw6qDh7llipe86

About 09:30 for instrument only takeoff.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Kwolok posted:

Right so maybe I should have been more clear, I know you can capture the ils and have it take you down but he is saying he had to fully land and bring the plane to a stop using only instruments.

And mainly I'm curious about his claim of the old trainers during Vietnam and less about if any modern planes can.
I thought the video covered that pretty well. It might sound ridiculous at first but we consistently disregard old technology as limited while forgetting that we went to the moon using wire coils to store computed information.

Doolittle did the first takeoff, flight and landing relying solely on flight instruments in 1929. Not a huge stretch to consider that the military might have been doing something similar with a few additional decades of technology development.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Oh sorry, I get what you're saying now. You're correct that the video didn't show an actual touchdown and landing. I'm fairly positive there's a video somewhere showing an instrument landing but I can't seem to find it now.

The localizer by design will keep you aligned on the centerline as long as you keep the CDI centered. The glideslope will take you consistently to the same spot down the runway, so an actual touchdown is just a factor of reducing power and holding a proper landing attitude at some predetermined height above the runway. I'm not saying it's easy by any means, especially at those speeds, but it's perfectly doable.

Also, military and civil aviation usually have vastly different thresholds for acceptable risk. Even so, I don't think they were taking a regular ILS to 0-0 conditions unless it was an emergency - this seems to have been a training exercise to develop confidence and skill in instrument flying where you had an instructor to take over if necessary.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

From waaay back but my wife got me these for Xmas and they're super duper choice.

Also I'm in HNL for new years so me=better than you

Do those seem to be resolable by a competent cobbler?

Enjoy your HNL New Year! I'm based here and off Reserve tonight so there :coal:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I just try to insert loss, goatse, groverhaus and house stairs into every conversation to check which corner of the internet people are from.

Awesome impromptu goon meet! I seem to only run into people I don't want to see lol

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
"Anybody on the Echo Track has stairs in their house?"

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I guess I will start posting here since I told my parents I'm done being lazy, and according to my grandmother, I quote, "need to start pursuing my pilot dream of mine." Is it better to just go to a local school and treat becoming a pilot at school like a job, or is there some big chain of schools doing it better than everyone else? I was recommended ATP, but I need to find out more. I live in Hawaii, so all advice is welcome since I will most likely be moving to go to flight school. Thanks in advance because the more I look into this, the more I need clarification.

I'll send you a PM shortly but here's an effortpost about my time at ATP. I'm not sure what has changed since my time there (2018-2022) so take it with a grain of salt.

My experience with ATP was a net positive. I did the full program from zero time through MEI and then instructed with ATP for the majority of my time building up to 1500. I found that in general, you get what you put into the program - if you really make an effort to excel and make sure you communicate your needs early and often to the instructors and managers you’ll do well and have fewer sources of frustration than most. I did my training and instructing out of Sacramento (KSAC), which was a smaller training center and my experience was likely very different from that of someone who attended a larger facility like Mesa Gateway (KIWA) but the vast majority of instructors care about your success as do the managers and training support personnel. Most of my issues and frustrations came from aircraft availability (seems like when one goes down for maintenance they all decide to break down in solidarity), weather delays and DPE availability. Most of this has improved a lot and maintenance at ATP is great. Instructor quality can vary a lot since they’re all mostly inexperienced but the program is so structured that it greatly mitigates it until they get more hours under their belt. ATP isn’t shy about swapping instructors if it isn’t working out due to personality issues or whatever it may be but they will try to address any issues before swapping out, which is understandable. The Training Support Manager for the California region was very responsive throughout my entire time as a student and as an instructor which made life easier whenever an issue did arise. Instructing for ATP can be challenging - it is incredibly structured which is helpful and you have a strong support network to help you excel but there is very little flexibility to do things your own way and there are pretty tight goals for keeping students on track. It’s like working for any large company - change takes a long time to implement.

If the 100h ME program still exists I don’t really think it's worthwhile unless you either want to go fly corporate or Part 135 ASAP or you want the guaranteed MEI position - and even then it’s not required to be an MEI at ATP. I would recommend checking out ME rental costs at other flight schools if you want to build more multi time for a corporate or 135 job and compare that to the extra cost at ATP. There are a lot of instructor opportunities at ATP if you want to do more than be a line instructor - MEI positions usually require some instructor experience before they put you through multiengine indoc and you can also apply for a Lead Instructor position if you want to play a bigger part in managing the instructors and overall training. I took on both roles and they have extra responsibilities but add interesting challenges and cool flying. The MEI life gets to be incredibly repetitive, you essentially only fly the same 6 maneuvers over and over again - some people love it as you get great at it and some get sick of it eventually, like I did. As a Lead Instructor you get to fly with students in all phases of training which makes it incredibly varied and, in my opinion, fun.

SAC has ME aircraft and a sim but I did hear that ATP was planning on centralizing some ME training so I would highly recommend that you get very clear answers on any additional costs that may be incurred if you have to go out of town for extended training.

Fleet type and simulator availability varies wildly between training centers. It's a good idea to ask what the specifics are at each location you're interested in attending.

I did opt for a partial loan from Sallie Mae and self funded the rest of it. I opted for the variable rate loan which ended up being fine because I didn’t take the full amount and was able to pay it off early, which is good because the rate was coming up quite a bit in the past few months. I do have a couple of friends who refinanced their Sallie Mae loans successfully so there is that.

On top of all that I would also budget at least an extra month on top of the planned training footprint to account for delays. Two months would be safer for sure.

ATP partners with Sheppard Air test prep software and it works well. It's all based on rote memorization, which I absolutely hate, but it also works well. With a program like ATP I suggest you view the written exams as something you need to get out of the way so you can start actually learning the material. I also recommend you ask about getting the written tests out of the way and how it would work. You get the test software for free when you're enrolled so I'm not sure if you can get it prior to starting or if ATP will reimburse you for getting it done early. Worth finding out. That said, it is perfectly possible to do the writtens while going through the program, so don't stress too hard about it.

One more thing to consider is that ATP has a Part 141 Program out of Mesa Gateway (KIWA) partnered with ASU. Could be an option if you want to get a degree during your flight training. As mentioned above, this will allow you to get a Restricted ATP license at 1000h if you get a Bachelor's or 1250g if you go for an Associate's.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
That's a weird loss.jpg

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Rolo posted:

Did my first WATRS run at night yesterday, PR to Philly.

Pretty humbling being out there in the pitch black.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like WATRS. If you put WATRS into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put WATRS into a gulf and it becomes the gulf. You put it in an ASAP, it becomes the ASAP. Now, WATRS can flow or it can crash into the Bermuda Triangle. Be WATRS, my friend.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Rolo posted:

Are people still having sex dreams about Martha
That's part of why I recommend the Kings course.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I had a good experience with basic Vans. I think anything with fairly thin rubber soles and a tighter toe box should be fine.

Pipers do kinda suck when it comes to that weird crossbar thing. You eventually just develop muscle memory for proper foot position.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Rolo posted:

All this slow flight chat is furthering my itch to get back into GA. I get off of first year pay on the 19th (and off probation woopwoop) and my goon rear end is still single so I could finally swing it if I wanted to budget some flight club fun bux.

Crazy to think I've been at the airline for a year.
Same on the GA front. I even have a friend who runs a flight school at HNL and would gladly check me out but due to a combination of :effort: and constant use of flight benefits to visit friends and family out of town it has yet to happen.

Nofeed posted:

Well, after even more weather and work delays, I flight tested yesterday and am now a private pilot! Now writing a sternly worded letter to The Minister admonishing them on having standards low enough to let me in the club.
Congrats! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Why not just make the parachute twice as big and put it on the whole plane

Hear me out: gigantic turbofan powered paraglider. Think of the Mustard video we'd get 30 years from now!

Lord Stimperor posted:

I submitted my application for the airline flight academy. So now it's waiting to see if they laugh me out of the door, whether I flunk out by loving up any of the 27 IQ-tests they make you do, or whether I manage to completely upend my life.
Fingers crossed for you!

cigaw fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 29, 2024