Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

For OP
PPL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I was going to fly tomorrow but our club's Sports Cruiser has a problem. Turns out the throttle randomly slams forward into a full open position.

Upon this revelation, discussion ensued. People assure me that this is safe to operate. Well, as long as you have a second qualified and current guy in the cockpit who can make sure there's at all times at least one hand on the throttle. Because of the throttle-jumping-to-full-open-uncommanded when you're busy doing something else. It was discussed whether rubber bands or a string of cloth could be used as a temporary fix. A friendly guy kindly volunteered to go up with me and make sure the throttle would behave.

Then people with authority read the discussion and well, plane's grounded now lol.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Maksimus54 posted:

Does Boeing run your flight school? What the actual gently caress!

It's the flying club. They are, in my opinion, pretty good about maintenance and enforcing/cultivating safe practices, but sometimes you get these "what if we put a rubber band to it, is that still airworthy" discussions until a grownup enters the chat.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm getting difference training for constant speed props next week. It's a Rotax.

There's one thing that I want to ask. Not about the workings or operations of the thing, that part is well explained. But it's a bit more historical.

When I watch tutorials or read article, there's a bunch of sources telling me to never ever run the engine oversuare, unless the very exceptional case that the POH might allow it. Oversquare meaning here that you have higher manifold pressure than RPM/100. It's likened to trying to drive a car up a hill from a standstill in fifth gear.

The thing is, according to my POH, running oversquare is far from the exception - it's in fact the norm. At sea level for 75% power, you're expected to run the engine at 27Hg @2100rpm. The manual does state that you should avoid lowering the rpm too far under 3000 feet, but at basically at any altitude that isn't class A in my area, you'll be flying oversquare.

So, is this oversquaring panic just an urban legend that boomer pilots tell each other in the hangar? Is it a remnant of poo poo engines from the past? Is it a difference between Rotax and Lycoming?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I've been flying with EasyVFR4 recently and its giving me terrain warnings when im joining the circuit

I feel like im a survivor of Russian sabotage

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

1) The chief pilot telling me "look at the top of the trees at the end of the runway" rather than "look down the runway." Like other people, it seems that having a specific point to focus on makes a big difference.

I like this. With the weather improving I've started getting more flights in but I notice that every day's first landing is dog poo poo. I think it's because I'm looking at the wrong reference point.

On the flipside, what consistently is easier than what I expected from video games is proper lining up and glideslope management. It's super finnicky in a video game, but with a real aircraft under your butt and a working inner ear you just know where to go as long as it isn't mega gusty.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 16, 2024

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I adored the C150 I trained in. Doors didn't close fully, sometimes the flaps motor would fail in hot weather, directional indicator occassionally got stuck but drat if it wasn't cozy and easy to handle. Now I'm in a Sports Cruiser and while it's super easy to handle as well, I feel like a toddler in the seat.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thanks for the tip with looking at the end of the runway. Tried it today and the experience was butter.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Reztes posted:

I’m glad that’s working for you folks, but baffled that it had to come from here. IMO that’s as fundamental as looking outside during steep turns. CFIs these days boy I tell ya :argh: :corsair:

Anyway to elaborate on that method, once you’re looking at the end, you can develop the sight picture and feel of the roundout by smoothly bringing the nose of the plane up to the horizon (or, depending on your aircraft type, covering the end of the runway completely). From there you just add backpressure as needed to keep that sight picture until you tun out of energy and touch down.

You know, my instructor(s) probably did tell me to focus my eyes on the end of the runway. But I'm dumb as rocks and what with 6 months of the year being basically IFR, I need reminders. :v:

But speaking of instructors reminding you of things, I did get my first difference training today :science:. As of today I'm allowed to fly variable pitch. Our flying club got a brand-new looking (its actually from 2013) light airplane. It's basically a Rotax-beefed-up sail plane, like many modern small planes are. And it glides. You idle the engine for a simulated engine failure and it just keeps going, and going, and going. Practice emergency landings? Better hope visibility is good because you might as well select a field that's on the horizon, you're not coming down earlier than that. It also just doesn't really stall if the wings are sort of level. It just lowers the nose a bit and then lazily tumbles down. We flew less than 40 kts when the stall actually became noticeable in terms of sink rate. Add even the slightest bit of power or push the nose further down and it's going again. On the opposite end of the power spectrum, if you put the engine in max continuous it goes at 130 knots.

And it starts up the first time you crank it! The battery doesn't poo poo itself in the winter! The engine doesn't want to go out if it's cold and the OAT is < 15 degrees. It has stall heat! Touch screen avionics! Punching in a route is a matter of seconds if you don't have to scroll through the alphabet with a dumb rotary knob. Brilliant little thing. The only real downsides are that it's a fair bit heavier to tow on the ground than the two-seater it replaces, and that it will also be a little bit more expensive to rent.

The club FI who did the difference training nudged me to take a peek at one of the schools he's working at (he's an airline captain and complete aviation nut who, next to his airline job, does a bunch of GA stuff at different and companies, in addition to helping run our club). He wonders how I'd find it to get an instructor rating to start working on my CPL. He also said I could still try to get a spot at his airline's academy, mid-thirties wouldn't be too late. It's not the first time he asked me that, last year when I was finishing my PPL he was already chatting me up about ways to get into commercial aviation. He makes it really difficult to suppress my mid-life crisis!

I'm thinking I might just sign up at the airline academy so they can reject me and I can be done with it. Completing the application makes me feel really akward. The sign-up form is asking when I graduated high school or if I'm still in school. If I already had a university study in mind, or even studied a bit. And I should include work experience, such as, ahem, summer jobs or extracurricular work. I feel old. But I am actually eligible. And I feel with a PhD in a science field and a bunch of work experience in number crunching I can sort of compensate for lackluster math performance in high school. Worst case they all have a good laugh. Best case I can use my savings account to survive while they make me ATPL.

Should I send the application, see what comes back?

epswing posted:

Why don't pilots have access to parachutes? The first obvious answer that comes to mind is you don't really want the pilots of an airliner to jump ship at the first sign of trouble. But in some cases, like a cargo plane with no passengers flying over unpopulated land or sea, if there's some catastrophic event that dooms the aircraft, it appears the pilots are forced to go down with the ship. In flight school are there any topics that discuss this?

In addition to what the others have said about big planes, in small planes you do occassionally see parachutes. In my old glider club, it was mandatory to get into the plane with a parachute. No they didn't explain to us how to use them. But they did work, because a couple of years ago someone bailed out of a disintegraing glider while the other crew member stayed in and died. But as Sagebrush says, it's a real tough call to make. If I bail out, does my plane fall into an orphanage? What if it turns out afterwards that it was a completely avoidable accident? I bet a lot of people were alive today had they admitted to themselves that they wouldn't be able to fix their situation, and/or that it's better to get asked uncomfortable questions than to be dead.

Also, at this point ultralight airplanes often carry rescue chutes for the entire plane. IIRC, EASA also has made them mandatory for new constructions. Many accidents occur because pilots wait for far too long before they ask for help / declare emergencies / admit to themselves that the situation won't become better. The situation won't get better and the aircraft runs out of options. The manuals of these planes therefore are very explicit that when in doubt about the landability of the airplane, the rescue chute is the first, not the last option. I don't have a source at hand, but I've read blog posts and articles that suggest that across general aviation, such chutes have turned many fatalities into insurance claims. I would like to at some point have one of these - even if it's just for morale.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 26, 2024

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I've filled in the application letter doe the airline flight school. Buddy at the airline is looking over it. Might hit send tonight.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Don't worry guys i solved it

*Hits bong*

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I submitted my application for the airline flight academy. So now it's waiting to see if they laugh me out of the door, whether I flunk out by loving up any of the 27 IQ-tests they make you do, or whether I manage to completely upend my life.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm invited for the first step of the selection procedure at the airline flight academy. Time to brush up my skills in matrix puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'll PM you :)