Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i'm just rolling an idea around in my head, but are there any a&p mechanics here? what's that like for work? how intense is the training?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i watch a fair amount of aviation content on youtube so the algorithm is always trying to show me more, and at a glance it seems like there are a lot of people trying to be "learning to fly after doing my hair and putting on full makeup" influencer-types

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
gonna start asking the pilots for a signed approach plate when I fly

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
if i want to do my ppl sometime in the near future, but in the meantime am a nerd about aviation and would like to be able to follow along better when i ride along with my friend who has his ppl, is there any downside to doing an online ground school other than "costs a few hundred bucks, might have to repeat it / do a different one by the time a ppl becomes realistic"? is any particular school a good pick, with that in mind?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
thanks for the discussion re ground schools

i decided to save my money for now and get copies of the PHAK and the Airplane Flying Handbook--i know the pdfs are free but it's the kind of thing that's nice to have in hard copy format

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I have some questions about constant speed props

The normal procedure for changing power seems to be "prop forward, throttle forward" to increase or "throttle back, prop back" to decrease. I understand in general this is to prevent pressure surges in the prop regulator.

Does this mean it would be some flavor of bad to, for instance, reduce the throttle without also reducing the prop speed or similar?

Does it work the same for turboprops or is there something different about their power bands? Watching random pilot youtube vids makes it seem like they're more like max for takeoff and then pull back for cruise.

One more: for piston planes with constant speed props, people talk about varying rules of thumb about running the prop/engine "square", ie the manifold pressure less than, equal to, or greater than the rpm/100. Others say as long as you're within the limits in the POH you can do whatever. Is there anything mechanical about this, or is it more of a shorthand for not remembering or looking at power charts? Assuming the power output is the same, is there some advantage to running higher pressure + lower rpm vs lower pressure + higher rpm?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
thanks for all the great info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
smarter to let the wings + engines separate from the fuselage. that's where all the fire and potential fire is kept