Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Flying with an FFDO on a cargo flight is disturbing because they only have the gun to shoot you. Or a stowaway? But most likely, you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I just want a TSA pre line dedicated to crew, I literally do not give one single poo poo about running my bag through the xray and walking through a metal detector

I just hate dealing with pax lines

Lately in some airports if I’m tight on time I’ve been skipping KCM and going straight to TSA Pre. Safer than walking to a distant KCM point, getting randomed, and having to go back to TSA Pre anyways.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

I'm in the middle of 11 days off and haven't thought about airplanes or flying them the whole time; it's been pretty great.

When I go home a switch flips and I completely forget about aviation unless I’m reading this thread or someone asks me a question about flying, or a coworker contacts me, etc. Life becomes all about my kids, what are we gonna eat today, my friends, wrist watches, and video games. Then a day before my next trip I remember I’m a pilot. And that’s cool when it happens, I actually love my job.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

What do you guys think about trips that end with a red eye? I’m gonna try to volunteer for one this week that has one leg home that pays 2 days. Yeah I hit the pillow at like 6am but then I’m off for the rest of the day before getting another 4 days off. Seems kinda dope.

You should do it if only so you can get a feel for whether you wanna do it in the future.

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Best thing about the job in some ways, I was self employed for 3 years before I started flying and it never ends, quit work eat dinner and pull out the laptop cause no one else is gonna do it. Now I land shut down and go home. I don't think about work till I have to go to work. The company has occasionally sent an email when I'm off looking for someone to cover something, I'm free to ignore it or I can pick up a ridiculous amount of money to sell my day off. Friends of mine in an office environment struggle to disconnect and I'm like ha ha tell them to stop contacting you and they're like oh no I have to cover this. gently caress that my time off is sacrosanct now.

I accepted a promotion at my airline that will sadly put an end to this, I’ll be working a lot from home, and occasionally choosing a trip to go fly. I’d much rather be a line pilot, but the amount of money I will be making will mean a better future for my family. Buying a home in NYC will become realistic.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just got yelled at by a KCM TSA agent with face tattoos that “yo, your names don’t match!!!” between my crew badge and my passport. My crew badge has FIRST LAST and my passport has FIRST MIDDLE LAST MOTHERSMAIDEN. A non-TSA security guard had to calm him down and explain that this is normal. He glared at me and waved me through. Very strong Idiocracy vibes.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

I mean I wouldn't trust ALPA either unless I was a delta or United mainline pilot. ALPA famously doesn't give two shits about you unless you're at a legacy. Friends at AA don't seem to trust APA either so Japanese should shrug emoji

I’ll never forget working for a Delta regional carrier and ALPA asking us to take concessions, only for Delta pilots to receive their largest profit sharing bonuses ever. Then they hired those same union EXCO members who were pushing for concessions. What a coincidence.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

I had heard various lovely things that ALPA had done to the various regional airlines they represented but it really sealed the deal for me that ALPA sucked when ATI wouldn't honor ABEX Air's one day strike in the winter of 2016 or 17. gently caress them for that.

ALPA did great work back in the day but they've been FYGM for decades now

Oh yeah, ALPA scabbing on ABX was a real scumbag move. It runs like a corporation, not a union.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

TSA goon just straight up catcalled 2 of the FA’s I walked out with. It was creepy and lame as poo poo.

check your PM (unrelated to the TSA mouthbreathers)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I think her CFI’s failed her.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kwolok posted:

As someone going through my first few instructed flights (Just practiced power on stalls), its crazy to me hwo people can be so careless with flying. Like I am overly anal no doubt, but its just mind boggling to me you can be that bad and so carefree about it.

The problem is that she didn't know what she didn't know. Her instructors really did fail. From watching her talk in her videos I get a feeling that she genuinely wanted to do well. She even fired one of the CFI's for being too lax on her and too helpful instead of teaching her to be a good instrument pilot.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

yeah a year or two ago i had a high schooler ask me "what did people do before they had google maps?"

i said "they used maps"

"no, before there was Maps."

"they used paper...maps."

We dialed up into the internet, opened a website with driving instructions, then we printed them.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Pilots are the worst.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

Here’s me posting something that isn’t a complaint!

When I first started posting in this thread back in like 2013 I said that I’ve always wanted to live in NYC but couldn’t afford it. Now I’m at a gig where I can, plus I would upgrade earlier being based there. Additional pro: I’m single with no pets or ties. Biggest con: I’m already 36. 37 soon.

I’m in CLT, which is convenient but lacking pretty heavily in culture that isn’t airport or banker bro based. The older I get the less I’m loving the “I’m still in college mentally” scene that is everywhere here.

Maybe I’m just having a mid life thing but I’m really starting to kick the idea around. Also don’t tell the NC thread.

Wait... were you in Fort Worth last night?? Eating a big-rear end burger with an egg on it? I swear I had this same conversation with an AA pilot last night. Must have been you.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

ARE YOU [redacted]

Wow.. what are the odds. PM me you contact for when you are around in NY and we'll hang out in Brooklyn.

Animal fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 13, 2024

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

If I had a nickel for every time I ran into some random internet person while I’m at an equally random airport I’d have like 3 nickels so glad I’m not the only one it happens to

This wasn’t even at the airport, it happened in an ordinary burger bar in downtown Ft Worth. And I layover all over the world. Truly very small odds.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

rolo you couldnt tell it was animal by his fuckoff huge rollie on his wrist? step up the game son!

I would have let him wear it!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

A Sneaker Broker posted:

So far, I was looking at KSAC or KLGB. Thanks! Yeah, I may transfer credits over if I end up pursuing my full bachelor's. I feel as if California is my second home since it's so close to Hawaii (flight-time-wise). Also, I have some family out there, so housing would not be a factor at all. Thanks for the information!

I think the guys here have steered you in a good direction. I wanna add something important. You will have to be very self motivated and disciplined. You’ll have to study on your own consistently. You’ll have to show up regularly even on days you don’t feel like it. Accelerated courses are intense. I was in your same shoes almost 20 years ago, early 20’s and lazy. It wasn’t easy finding the strength. But that poo poo has to end. You’ll have to find the willpower to “become an adult”, because ATP is not gonna hold your hand. And they will gladly take your money even if it’s clear that you don’t have what it takes to make it to the finish line. You don’t wanna waste your family’s resources and then spend the rest of your life regretting that you didn’t complete this. So make sure you are ready for this not just financially but mentally.

If you do go through with it, you have amazing opportunities ahead of you. It will take you just a couple of years to achieve what took me ten years, just because the industry timing is great right now. It’s a prosperous cycle for pilots. Rolo and I were talking about this when we met a few days ago. You’ll be very fortunate, don’t squander it and don’t waste time or you could find yourself in a bad industry cycle later on. Keep coming back to this thread regularly to post your progress, your struggles, and your success. If you persevere, it won’t be long before you’ll be giving us news about your first solo flight, then your first check ride, then your first job. We’ve been here for guys who started from 0 and are now working at legacy airlines. Make sure you’re the next one. Make us proud, boy :clint:

Animal fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 14, 2024

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Yeah, I realized a while ago that I can either A. Be a lazy POS that lives off my parents and does nothing with my life or B. I can fulfill my late Uncle's wish, he told me last year, and go out into the real world and become a pilot. Option B is firmly the position I will be taking.

Sounds good, strike while the iron is hot. Get started ASAP. My advice is that you get your medical certificate early so that you can iron out any issues that come up. Then complete your PPL knowledge exam as early as you possibly can. Just get that poo poo out of the way and focus on flying and on learning the important stuff.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

For me it was essential to move somewhere else to do my training, far from home. In my early 20’s it would have been impossible to focus. Drinking buddies, girls, gaming PC. Those distractions are no good. And much like my home island, Hawaii is just too much fun. I lived an ascetic life in a cheap $40 a night motel in Kissimmee. With just my books and a crappy Acer laptop. Flew twice a day for 5 days a week, with the other two days relaxing and studying. Not because I was an ultra disciplined warrior monk, but because I knew I was a fickle man-child and this was the only way I could finish it. I still slipped every now and then and got wasted with my CFI’s and with a couple of girls who worked at the Hooters 5 minutes away. But it was much better than trying to do it back home.

E: grammar

Animal fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 14, 2024

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

FunOne posted:

I'm amazed the pilot forums aren't telling you to go to a low income tax state instead.

“Why would you live in NYC, looks at my house in Kentucky!”
*shows you a horrible McMansion on the lock screen of their clapped out iPhone 6S*

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

How much leaded fuel splashing on your skin is enough for damage? I remember getting splashed all the time back in the GA days. I guess it could explain a lot.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

I will say, in the spirit of fairness, the vast majority of AA boomers I’ve worked with on DA BUS have been absolute dudes. Even when I bring up that I may be moving to NYC, they’re supportive and excited for me to make a big change.

Bus boomers wholesome, who knew?

There’s different breeds of boomer at different bases

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

Hey Atlas guys, I'm looking really hard at coming to 5Y. I'm currently flying a Global doing a decent amount of international flying and really enjoying it but my QOL isn't very good and unlikely to change.

Questions: How much does your base affect you? I live in MI so ORD or CVG are close by but both are a 4+ hour drive so sitting reserve at home is out of the question. Does it just mean a shorter DH to base?

How often are you getting paid just the min guarantee? My last job at the regional getting 80-90hrs of credit wasn't too difficult with careful bidding. Looks like 1st year pay is around 100k and 2nd year around 130k from what I saw on APC. Does that sound reasonable? We're good at budgeting around min guarantee but anything above that it always nice.

Extra flying on days off, is that really even much of an option for someone not living in base?

I’m sure you are aware of Atlas’ gateway system. They will either buy you an airplane ticket to get to work, or if you are 4 miles away, you will get the mileage credit. A lot of folks drive up to their base for reserve duty rather than fly, because they wanna have their car. The company will pay for the hotel.

As for picking up open time. Yes it will be much easier if you live not too far from your base, as a lot of them are last minute trips and they need someone that can be there ASAP. Open time is based on seniority, of course. As a new hire you may struggle getting them whenever you want. But you’ll get seniority quickly enough that you’ll eventually be making a lot more money if you wanna work extra. I know FO’s who break $300k.

Just PM me and I’ll make sure you get the interview.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

I’m still heavily considering LGA, to the point that I’m planning to do it unless I change my mind for some reason. I’ve been spending a random week out of the month there just to test the water and I have a blast every time.

Pretty wild to think I may fulfill my dream of moving to NYC cause I happened to run into a goon in Texas lol.

Let me know when you are around so we can hang out, I can help you pick which neighborhood is best for you

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Where do pilots typically live in NYC? Isn’t it like turbo expensive?

There's a lot of pilots in Brooklyn. And I haven't met one I didn't like. Yes its expensive but a legacy airline pilot can afford to live here comfortably if they don't expect to have a 3br apartment in a nice area. Affording to buy property is a different matter. You'd have to either have family money, work your rear end off to save a huge nest egg, or have a partner with high income. I live in Park Slope and I love it, once you are here for a few years it kinda ruins the rest of the country. The supermarket is a 3 minute walk, my kid's public school is a 10 minute walk and its excellent. Yesterday my wife accidentally sprayed a little bit of bleach in her eye, the ophthalmologist was literally on the other side of the block, she walked two minutes to get treated. The food options are incredible, any kind of cuisine you can imagine can be as good as if you were ordering in its country of origin. Museums, hobbies, you name it, you can't get bored here unless you are a boring person. NYC is far from the best city in the world, but its the best of what we got in the USA if you value this kind of life. I drive my car maybe every two weeks. The nature of our jobs make it a particularly great place to live because when we are off, we are off for days. So we can enjoy all that the city has to offer without all the stress associated with making a living within the city. It's also the junior base for most airlines so its easy to get seniority and then pick up open time trips.

Rolo posted:

I’d be moving to Brooklyn, most likely downtown, Boreum or Williamsburg but I’m still working on the list.

And yeah Animal I’ll 100% hit you up next time I’m in the area, probably gonna take a trip up around April or early May.

Spring season is amazing in Brooklyn, lets hit a few breweries, get good food, and walk around Prospect Park.

Animal fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 8, 2024

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

That all sounds perfect I’m in.

And I’ll double what you said about the food. Every time I go I eat like a pig and it’s incredible.

Did I mention there are three Microcenter stores within range, one of them a 15 minute bicycle ride?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

That sounds like a dream come true for me. I've been feeling really down about how awful the pay is for Canadian pilots. I'm willing to take my lumps and put in my time to get experienced but once I hit ATP minimums I'm going to seriously look at talking to an immigration lawyer and getting a job with an American legacy and settle in NYC.

The last FO that I flew with was a Canadian transplant. He didnt make it seem like it was a hard thing to do. But then again, he is originally an immigrant from Soviet Russia. So the kinda of bureaucracy that we would find Kafkaesque would be routine for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

fly with flip-flops, be free.

(I totally never ever did this during my Caribbean island hopping days)