Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

PT6A posted:

I want to fly a light sport aircraft? Can I do that?

Yes and no. We have something called a recreational pilot permit, which enables you to fly single-engine non-high-performance aircraft with a maximum capacity of 4, but with only one other person. It's vaguely ridiculous, but it comes with a lower hour requirement, and lower medical requirements. You can also get it at 16 rather than 17, which is why I have one! Fun fact: since it's not technically a license, it doesn't get superseded by a PPL or a CPL or an ATPL, so it still got printed in my most recent Aviation Document Booklet (our licenses look like passports, and you get a sticker every time your ratings, license, or medical change).

You missed two entire classes or aircraft and a completely separate license. I don’t have the numbers in front of me but I suspect that there are more UL permits issued than Rec.

So in Canada we do not have light sport aircraft or FAR103 ultralights. Instead we have two categories of ultralights that share a common license.

Basic ultralights and Advanced ultralights. Both require at least an ultralight pilots permit or greater (theoretically the glider pilot permit is greater but good luck getting that by your insurance company)

The UL permit is issued by your instructor with no flight test requirement much like gliders and has a more basic written exam. The only add on for a UL permit is for passenger carrying in advanced ultralights and it also requires you to go from a class 4 to a class 3 medical.

Unlike FAR103 ultralights basic ultralights can actually have substantial gross weights and top speeds in the exchange for that you need to get some flight training register your aircraft and get insurance. This class is otherwise pretty wide open as long as you meet the stall speed requirement. You cannot carry passengers unless they possess a license that would allow them to fly the aircraft.

Advanced ultralights are mostly the same but can allow an appropriately rated pilot to carry unlicensed passengers. In order to get that extra privilege the aircraft needs a letter of conformance and must be maintained according to the manufacturer’s schedule.

The numbers for basic and advanced are the same.

Maximum gross weight of 544 kg (1,200 pounds) and,
Maximum stall speed of 39 knots (45 mph) indicated airspeed

Doesn’t sound like much but you can get some European glass missiles that fit the bill.

The vast majority trend towards the slower and lighter end of things but that does not represent the entire category. I personally owned a very flying lawn chair ultralight and it was loving rad. I get that people here are working towards careers and fun is not allowed but flying doesn’t need to be all business all the time.

The other interesting privilege that the ultralight pilot permit gets you is that you can legally fly any aircraft that would qualify as an ultralight regardless of its actual category. So plenty of cubs, champs and luscombes that can be flown by ultralight pilots.

I should also write up something about gliders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

PT6A posted:

The only advice I would give is: be extremely careful with who you use for ultralight flight instruction.

If you think that is unique to ultralights you should try flying with some one man flight schools.

Our local airport manager and flight school operator did a lot of harm to aviation due to flying way beyond his useful years. Scared the crap out of more than a few potential new pilots.

How he was still getting a medical when he was nearly blind and had an ostomy is extremely frustrating.

So as for gliding.

It is very fun and a great way to learn how to fly. It is a very different experience than typical GA flying. With GA you show up shortly before your lesson fly for an hour or so and then head home. Gliding is a group activity and you can easily spend all day at the field.

A typical day goes like this. Arrive around 9-10 AM. Unpack the hangar and give any of the aircraft that are going to fly a daily inspection. After the daily inspections they will be washed if they need it. From there the get towed down to the flight line and lined up to get ready for launch.

As far as getting airborne goes there are two main ways. Winch launches and Aerotows. Winch launching is like getting a kite up into the air. A few thousand foot long cable is attached to the glider and it quickly gets it up to flying speed and then the glider pitches up into a kiting attitude and rapidly climbs up to 1000+ feet for release. Aerotow is much more gentle and is basically formation flying with a rope enforcing your following distance. It does take finesse to tow well as any drag reduces the climb rate. Most tow planes are taildraggers with 180+ hp engines so Scouts, Super cubs and various AG planes like Pawnees are the norm. You get attached to the towplane and then a wing runner uses hand signals to get the towplane to take up slack and then power up for takeoff. There is always a chance that the rope or winch cable will break or disconnect early so this is trained for (Just about every glider is capable of doing the impossible turn from about 300')

Approaches and landings are pretty routine and are flown very similar to the way that powered aircraft fly them only they tend to be a lot tighter and are adjusted a lot to account for wind and lift/sink in the downwind. Spoilers and sideslips are used for approach control and give gliders a lot of control over where they touch down. Bigger glider operations will have quite wide runways so that the runway is not blocked by a single landing glider. After landing the gliders are towed back to the flight line with golf carts.

So like I mentioned earlier this is a group exercise. You need a handful of people to move aircraft around and get them launched. The nice thing is that while waiting to fly you are waiting with a bunch of likeminded people and there are a lot of learning opportunities by helping out. One of the best parts of the club environment is the opportunities to fly with very experienced instructors and the wide variety of aircraft available.

At some point I'll write up something about the training process and the progression from heavy duty trainers to single seat high performance.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

It is mostly urban legends from WW2.

And just to really mess with that bullshit the rotary is a geared engine. So the relationship between manifold pressure and RPM is even further from the theory on this being harmful. See also: turbocharged engines for more information samples of how oversquare doesn’t make much sense.

Run the engine according to the charts in the POH and you will be fine.