Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Uh yer on guard buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

On my citation the fire buttons just close the shutoff valves and arm the fire bottles, and pretty sure hitting the button again opens the valves back up, so it’s possible but definitely aircraft dependent.

No one really talks about it though because it’s assumed you’re hitting the fire button for a reason :shrug:

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

This week I commuted home through SJC where the KCM line led me past and in full view of the entire checkpoint, ending in an unmanned KCM terminal and a doorbell. I pressed the bell, stood and waited for about 5 minutes while one by one just about every TSA agent noticed me, turned vaguely in the direction of a random co-worker and said “someone’s at KCM” as a line of other crew started forming behind me. Finally, I watched one guy wander away from handling the empty luggage bins, walk over to meticulously adjust and re-adjust the angle of an oscillating fan, lean against a table for a little while, then sigh and come up to log in to the KCM terminal.

But at least I didn’t get a random screening.

I was at the terminal super early or I’d have just done precheck, so yeah if KCM evolves into just a dedicated “skip to the front of precheck” line, I won’t be missing it much, personally.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

PHNL-KSEA-PHOG :raise:

seems like the perfect routing for a 787 what's the problem

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Thanks man I appreciate the insight. I would love to check out other airfield eventually but I live within walking distance of Montgomery so it's hard for me to justify learning elsewhere.

Again just consider that the 20 minutes extra drive time to Gillespie could easily be made up in time saved from quicker taxis, less time waiting at the end of the runway, shorter flights to the practice area, etc.

I’m also Southern California based and would add I just had a much more pleasant experience with traffic and the controllers at SEE vs MYF.

I’d say your experience checking out the actual schools and instructors would be the tiebreaker though. Quality instruction at a really busy field beats lousy instruction anywhere.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Still doing some research into ground schools and came across this: https://www.learnthefinerpoints.com/ground-school

Anyone have any insight, it seems pretty great and people online seem to have a great deal of respect for the people behind it, but like everything on the internet, I am always a bit leery.

Jason Miller is pretty great, yeah. I tested that course from the instructor side and from what I remember the content was good, it just wasn’t the curriculum I used regularly. If I recall correctly, I think it’s really designed for and works best if you’re working with an instructor using it as well, but as a solo ground school course I would think it should hold up as well.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

“Hey, this guy sounds like a huge fuckin dork…”

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Animal posted:

We’ve been here for guys who started from 0 and are now working at legacy airlines.:

Oh, hello. I started flying in 2018 and my class at a legacy airline is coming up next month.

Just for some variety, I didn’t do my training through ATP, but rather at several small flight schools in inland Southern California. I really enjoyed the flexibility to do some time building in a less structured way, and do a lot of stuff the regimented syllabus of an ATP type school would not have afforded me. I did my complex airplane training flights on a fly-in camping weekend with some good friends, for example.
On the other hand, I think I got really lucky connecting with the schools and instructors that I did, for the most part. My instrument instructor was almost useless, not current on his flying or knowledge and I wound up with a lot of bad habits that took me a bunch of extra time and money down the road to correct. It definitely took a lot more discipline and effort on my end to make my own study schedule, set my own goals for progression and stay on top of scheduling all my flights.

Still, it probably only took me a few months longer to start instructing (18 months from my first lesson), but I really valued the freedom and flexibility in pursuing this passion while I got there. Probably wound up saving a few bucks, too. I think at one point I calculated around $55k for my total flight training costs and I believe ATP was what still like 80 grand?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

There’s not a lot to be meaningfully gained from a home flight sim at the private pilot level, unfortunately. Flight sims can be pretty good for learning procedures, so if/when you get to your instrument rating, sims can be a good tool for practicing there. As you’ve probably noticed, most of the flight skills you’re developing now have to do with feel and proper visual reference, which a home flight sim just won’t really give you.

On the other hand, flight sims are fun and unless you’re already developing some really bad habits in the plane, it won’t hurt, so knock yourself out. You can always go the extra mile and add in Vatsim to practice radio work with sim nerds, too.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah my guess is something required for the approach, how’s weather where you’re going?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Welcome to flying airplanes, this is a very normal part of it.

You are trying to learn a very fine motor skill that requires a lot of hand eye coordination and quick, accurate responses to varying wind and aircraft conditions.

It is typically by far the hardest single maneuver to master.

It took me probably 10-15 hours from starting on landings till my first solo. Then more time getting soft and short field landings passable. I spent several more hours working on landings for my multi engine rating. Hell, I’ve spent the last month training 5 days a week in a 737 simulator, and almost any session we’ve had time left over, I’ve asked to get in a couple more landings, and they just started feeling mostly good most of the time about 3 or 4 sessions ago.

You will chase the high of a consistently greased landing for the rest of your life as an aviator.

Your instructor is encouraging because the only feeling better than nailing a landing is watching a student finally nail them too :v:

Reztes fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 16, 2024

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

:siren: Checkride down :siren:

Requesting OP entry update (wow mine is several behind)

KSNA - ATP AMEL CFI/II/MEI IR, B737, CE-500, CE-560XL

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

e.pilot posted:

:siren: If you would like to be special and listed (or updated) in my Pilots ITT list. Please either PM me or respond to this message :f5: (please do NOT quote ALL the text). Also since V5.0 if you'd rather me put your airport vs Country let me know.

Oh I guess I should follow directions, too. Please update me senpai

KSNA - ATP AMEL CFI/II/MEI IR, B737, CE-500, CE-560XL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I’m glad that’s working for you folks, but baffled that it had to come from here. IMO that’s as fundamental as looking outside during steep turns. CFIs these days boy I tell ya :argh: :corsair:

Anyway to elaborate on that method, once you’re looking at the end, you can develop the sight picture and feel of the roundout by smoothly bringing the nose of the plane up to the horizon (or, depending on your aircraft type, covering the end of the runway completely). From there you just add backpressure as needed to keep that sight picture until you tun out of energy and touch down.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 26, 2024