Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

a patagonian cavy posted:

funny way to spell “737 MAX8"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

FL420 :boobeer::cheersbird::clint::dukedoge::guinness::2bong::350::420::drugnerd::okpos::rznv::shroom::weed::gas::boston::fourloko::goofy::horsedrugs::kav::pcgaming:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

KRNO
ATP LR-JET B737 B747-4
Comm MEL
CFI CFII MEI not anymore let those lapse

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I flew 35's flying canceled checks for Airnet from like 2006-2010 and then again for this shitbag air ambulance operator in the southwest from 2015-2015 (8 months)

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rolo posted:

You train at FSI in Tucson?

CAE Dallas. The sim at the time the first level C biz jet sim ever made. It was from the early 80s if I recall and had its own data center of ancient computers to run the thing. Night only, only had like 3 airports in the database and broke down constantly. At some point in the 90s they added a UNS1 FMC and it was run by some beige box windows computer that I'm sure had some insane kludge to get it to talk to the rest of the sim. I thought it was awesome! Maybe they replaced it with something newer but it was their pride and joy; it was the first thing you saw as you walked in the building and was behind huge glass walls

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

PT6A posted:

Also — if you get a degree, for God’s sake get it in something other than aviation. Study something you’re passionate about, something that will help you be a better pilot (meteorology maybe?), something that will help you manage a business if you don’t want to go the airline route, something that will make you money if your medical craps out. Anything! Other than aviation…

this is the advice I give to anyone who asks me about getting into aviation. Heard from a friend of a friend that my airline hired a person with only a HS diploma recently. May be true, may be not, but its believable in this day and age

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Wild that the low scoring guys get helicopters. I thought that poo poo would be harder than FW.

Anyway there was shenanigans with the printer today:

The latter of which made my dickhead RT reading captain go apoplectic over. Made my day

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

It's the first time I've ever seen it. I thought the printer was busted at first because it wasn't printing and I found the first sticker (the mugshot) when I manually advanced the roll. LOL'd heartily, the second sticker came out when it finally printed, then I LOL'd again because the mugshot sticker was of a higher quality than the FJB sticker.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Hey Chuck, its Jeff and nope, not overreacting. If you can, take your money elsewhere since they've proven, in one preflight, that their maintenance isn't capable of maintaining the aircraft and don't seem to care that they're not either. I think, unfortunately, that small town aviation is gonna be pretty tricky since most flight instructors are going to want to be in the large college or pilot mill programs, because that is what's going to get them to the majors the fastest, while instructing the dad with a full time job at the local uncontrolled field isn't. If time and money allow it, I'd suggest looking at one of the larger pilot programs near you. West Michigan isn't too far from Chicago or even Detroit so those might be options. I trained back when you did, and the aviation landscape has changed so drastically it's hard to put into words. It's not even the pre 9/11 hiring boom, its bigger than that, and there is an absolute frenzy to get people through training and on to the regionals and majors, which is leaves people like you with a much harder task of finding a place where you can achieve more modest goals like instructing on the weekends or teaching your son. Good luck!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Yeah same gmail and same number too if you've still got it. I thought you had stopped posting here so reading your post was like a bolt from the blue. Any way I'll stop the detail but feel free to call or email or PM!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:catstare:

Just kill yourself, jesus.

Do they teach pilots hand-to-hand?

Yes. They tell us to yell "judo chop!" and then comically slap someone's hand

Real talk though it sounds like the poor guy has some real unfortunate poo poo going on in his head and maybe if the FAA and aviation in general didn't stigmatize mental health this person wouldn't have done what he did. 88 felony counts isn't going to help him and it drat sure isn't gonna get others that are having problems like that seek out help either. HIMS programs and the like work and seriously get in touch with them if you need to.

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 24, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rolo posted:

When I worked at FSI we had an instructor that, during recurrent, liked to give you a flock of birds on takeoff that would kill an engine and light the other on fire. Every so often a guy would grab the glowing handle without thinking and whelp here comes the red screen.

I once had a really contrived scenario where one engine has an IDG fail and then at some point the other engine started on fire in flight. uh oh better pull that fire handle! *cockpit goes dark* Oh gently caress! Plausible? Not really, but it gets you to think a little before blindly following the QRH.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Yo if we're talking about pilot gear it's new shoes time for me so what do yinz like for footwear that is

Comfortable and breathable (obvs)
TSA compliant because I can't stop getting randomed at KCM and
won't fall apart in a year
300 dollars or less. Although if they're s tier I could go higher

Danke arigato

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

https://us.ecco.com/ecco-mens-citytray-chelsea-boot-512804.html?dwvar_512804_color=01001#start=1

I have these and ariat roper boots. These are way more comfortable than the ropers. They’re pretty fashionable as well.

Those look nice thanks!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

vuk83 posted:

Just fyi. Ecco is still operating in Russia, they haven’t pulled out or divested there operations there.

Crud back to searching then

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Flew with a 74 guy who was an ffdo. Couldn't take it with him like, ever. What's the point then?

I'd almost do it for the get out of random screening free card but gently caress that.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

cigaw posted:

You may have answered your own question there.

Freight dawgs don't usually go through kcm as part of their jobs.

Yeah but flying to artesia for a week (2weeks?) and then having to jump through all the hoops to keep current isn't worth the squeeze for me so that's why I don't want to do it. Although lately it's been more tempting. Anyway get rid of that program it's stupid as gently caress

G43 I have bad news about that sks...

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

LOL at all the SJC talk because it's the worst kcm I routinely go through and possibly the worst TSA in the country. No way it should take that long to go through security at an airport that size. I don't cut in line either, because that's lovely to everyone else and it ain't like the airplane is leaving without me. Oh and don't tell me it's random selection either since 8 out of 9 people got randomed at the kcm in RNO today as I was going to work. Total bullshit

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

vessbot posted:

It's specifically not random, that's just a nickname/catchword. (Maybe it used to be random in the past? Who knows.) It's called Unpredictable Screening Procedures, and there's various triggers that'll get you on the selection train. (Whether that actually decreases unpredictability, I'll leave to the math PhD's.)

Isn't unpredictable and random the same thing essentially? Or am I being dumb

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

My airline didn't have that line and it was very distressing!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

So you’re the reason why I keep getting emails about butterknives through my company? Where’s that meme of the guy spreading cream cheese on a bagel with the crash ax?

Idk what it would cost to have me touch or inadvertently touch something in our cockpits with my tongue but I guarantee you it would be lots and lots.

KCM removing what is and isn't allowed from their website for "security" reasons will surely help us to know what is and isn't allowed and fight those pilot types trying to hijack their own airplanes!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'm in the middle of 11 days off and haven't thought about airplanes or flying them the whole time; it's been pretty great.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Wasn't Hawaiian supposed to get dreamliners or am I wrong about that. RIP though I really liked hawaiian when I flew on them to Hawaii a few times.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

ANOTHER THING! I really liked the 321neos they'd fly from the west coast. Guess it'll be a goddamn -900 or max9 now ughhhhhhhhh

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

azflyboy posted:

raise Hawaii fares and get a stranglehold on inter-island flying.

Southwest is gonna fight that tooth and nail. SWA sees Hawaii flying as the next empire to conquer and you might see real price war shenanigans start if the two companies merge.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Landing fees maybe?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Idk if it's still around but there was a cargo outfit in Texas with the call sign "rough rider" and every time I heard it i imagined all the pilots being buff gay leather daddies

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Pilot humor :imunfunny:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Kwolok congrats on taking your first steps toward learning to fly! Have you thought about what the end game post license is going to be? What are you going to use your ticket for? Hundred dollar hamburgers? Transportation to remote and far-ish away places? Just boring holes in the sky and doing trips around the pattern? Any and all are fine goals to have but having a clear goal is helpful to have when inevitably money or time or ambition run low and it will help you to get through those times instead of spending thousands of dollars without having anything to show for it.

I'll say this and it isn't really apropos of anything but these thoughts might be rolling around the back of your head because they sure did mine when I was at that stage of training: regularly renting or even buying an airplane as a means of travel is an extremely tempting and romantic idea that is ultimately pretty pointless unless you have a very specific mission you're trying to accomplish. I got real into wanting to buy a real all weather cross country machine (a Cessna 210 or similar) but realized my wife kids and I could literally fly first class for the rest of our lives with the money we would spend on such an airplane. I'm not trying to discourage you or any one else; just sayin.

Anyway for a hobby 10k to get into it isn't really all that much money and I wish you the best of luck! Also fly the Cessna because Pipers are junk made by meth heads in Florida

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The reserve section that people are whining about is hilarious because the company and the union both keep going back to "the most productive pilots in the industry" and they're not going to get you huge pay raises to sit on your rear end doing long call. You can't have it both ways and the people who whine about it are obviously at the wrong airline. The hotel language is disappointing and the fact that we didn't get aircraft swaps included in the leg change override is a bummer but the only real hard no I had was any change in the way our sick time was accrued and paid out. Those didn't change so I'm probably a yes unless some poison pill emerges. 1% better rates than delta? Bet your rear end thats a good deal, and thats just for top of the pay scale captains, it much better for pretty much everybody else. Reserve proffer and an actual no poo poo training bid are huge huge wins. Plus new vacation bidding rules and the ability to shift your vacation are also big pluses. Having to spend your uniform allowance at the company store is crap because all they sell is garbage but maybe I'll just buy a new roller board for every day of the week.

One thing mentioned on the union forum was the huge difference in monthly guarantee between DL and SWA. It's over 20 hours in SWA's favor. Everyone is going to make a lot more money period. Having a bigger number on paper is just dickwaving and when all the power players get in on open time you're gonna see real numbers put up.

Anyway it'll pass but as BAF said it'll probably be fairly slim because of a bunch of out of touch captains.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Southwest uses a HUD for all Cat III landings so you're manually flying the airplane to a minimum of 50 feet above the touchdown zone with a minimum forward visibility of about 500 feet. You then use outside visual references to land the airplane so not totally zero/zero but pretty drat close.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

azflyboy posted:

Do they not do autoland?

I'm pretty sure Alaska's 737's can autoland, so I'd just assumed that was what everyone else did.

They do not. The airplane can certainly auto land but swa loves to remove things from their airplanes that Boeing just puts in by default. Printers, sunshades, the left CDU for a while and auto land are all things swa decided were too expensive to maintain so they just yank them out when they take delivery of a new airplane. Its real dumb

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

Yo if we're talking about pilot gear it's new shoes time for me so what do yinz like for footwear that is

Comfortable and breathable (obvs)
TSA compliant because I can't stop getting randomed at KCM and
won't fall apart in a year
300 dollars or less. Although if they're s tier I could go higher

Danke arigato

From waaay back but my wife got me these for Xmas and they're super duper choice.

Also I'm in HNL for new years so me=better than you

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

eh probably not but I'm not really versed in that so maybe? Ive had a pair of their brown suede boots for years now and wear them all the time and they're holding up nice so I think the quality is there at least

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Called off Christmas because of terrible norovirus which is apparently going around where I'm at but if you're sick you're sick and don't go giving whatever you've got to others. You made the right choice!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I mean I wouldn't trust ALPA either unless I was a delta or United mainline pilot. ALPA famously doesn't give two shits about you unless you're at a legacy. Friends at AA don't seem to trust APA either so Japanese should shrug emoji

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I had heard various lovely things that ALPA had done to the various regional airlines they represented but it really sealed the deal for me that ALPA sucked when ATI wouldn't honor ABEX Air's one day strike in the winter of 2016 or 17. gently caress them for that.

ALPA did great work back in the day but they've been FYGM for decades now

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Meanwhile ALPA probably supports age 67 or some other FYGM age related bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rolo posted:

I get triggered when pilots

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 13, 2024