Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hello, thread! Sometime last year I casually started reading through the previous thread and got through more than 60 pages before this thread was started. I've also read a bunch of Admiral Cloudberg's work, I really enjoy the long-form articles that take their time with the details.

As someone in the software development world, the aviation industry is fascinating to me, in particular the lengths the NTSB and other similar organizations will go to find and fix potential issues. I think there's a lot other industries can learn from how aviation carries itself.

Anyways, questions:

What are the requirements/credentials a person needs to become an NTSB investigator?

And I know this is a stupid question, but I'm interested in the discussion:

Why don't pilots have access to parachutes? The first obvious answer that comes to mind is you don't really want the pilots of an airliner to jump ship at the first sign of trouble. But in some cases, like a cargo plane with no passengers flying over unpopulated land or sea, if there's some catastrophic event that dooms the aircraft, it appears the pilots are forced to go down with the ship. In flight school are there any topics that discuss this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU