Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Hell, my last plane had a built in delay for shutting an engine down in flight just to give you time to put the switch back in case you moved it on accident, something like 5 or 7 seconds before actually shutting down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

Highly recommend this guy.

https://www.kcheadsets.com

1 week turnaround from receiving the headset. Fix was $150

I've used this guy to get parts for my Bose X. The lifetime warranty is very easy to use as well.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I followed (what I thought was) the KCM line at SJC this morning and it spit me out at a normal looking TSA desk and they made me go through the scanner with everyone else and wouldn't let me go back to the pre check line all because i told the truth when he asked if I was flying or dead head (dh today). I've never heard of this policy and I should have asked for a supervisor but I was already running late for my flight. gently caress the TSA. I've never been hassled while in uniform before, even the lady running the scanner asked me what the gently caress I was doing.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Kwolok posted:

Are there any hidden fees or bullshit charges schools or instructors tend to try and sneak in I need to look out for?

Are fuel surcharges still a thing? I haven't been watching GA prices for a few years but a lot of places would quote an hourly rate and in small print have an hourly fuel surcharge.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I’m a grown-rear end man, I’m not saying Moonflower.

Are they still around? I remember working them all the time when I worked for arinc.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

on that note has anyone ever had a, uh, bathroom emergency in the cockpit? i have peed in a bottle but that's it

I had a captain poo poo his pants because he thought he could hold it until we landed. We were an empty ferry flight and had plenty of time and fuel to hold. Instead he rolled the dice and we both lost.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Rolo posted:

Did my first WATRS run at night yesterday, PR to Philly.

Pretty humbling being out there in the pitch black.

I used to work the HF radios out there. Only in the middle of the night did I have pilots giving voice reports while logged on CPDLC.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Hey Atlas guys, I'm looking really hard at coming to 5Y. I'm currently flying a Global doing a decent amount of international flying and really enjoying it but my QOL isn't very good and unlikely to change.

Questions: How much does your base affect you? I live in MI so ORD or CVG are close by but both are a 4+ hour drive so sitting reserve at home is out of the question. Does it just mean a shorter DH to base?

How often are you getting paid just the min guarantee? My last job at the regional getting 80-90hrs of credit wasn't too difficult with careful bidding. Looks like 1st year pay is around 100k and 2nd year around 130k from what I saw on APC. Does that sound reasonable? We're good at budgeting around min guarantee but anything above that it always nice.

Extra flying on days off, is that really even much of an option for someone not living in base?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Animal posted:

I’m sure you are aware of Atlas’ gateway system. They will either buy you an airplane ticket to get to work, or if you are 4 miles away, you will get the mileage credit. A lot of folks drive up to their base for reserve duty rather than fly, because they wanna have their car. The company will pay for the hotel.

As for picking up open time. Yes it will be much easier if you live not too far from your base, as a lot of them are last minute trips and they need someone that can be there ASAP. Open time is based on seniority, of course. As a new hire you may struggle getting them whenever you want. But you’ll get seniority quickly enough that you’ll eventually be making a lot more money if you wanna work extra. I know FO’s who break $300k.

Just PM me and I’ll make sure you get the interview.

e.pilot posted:

QoL is massively fleet dependent here, pick the 737 if you like time off and decent money, 767 if you like money and a decent amount of time off, 747 and 777 are only if you hate yourself/your family.

Bases are fairly irrelevant because we have gateway travel, pick one that’s easiest for you to get to or you like the flying that particular base has. There are a couple of exceptions that won’t matter until you have the seniority to hold them.

737 will pretty much always be min guarantee for now
767 can make some decent money, 70-80 hours is pretty typical
747 lines all kinda suck rear end but there’s money to be made there but you’re going to work for it and be massively fatigued
777 is hell and not worth it at all, avoid if at all possible

open time is seniority based and pretty decent as far as industry standards go, if you play the game well you can usually pull off 2-3 100-120+ hour months a year without giving the company any extra work days

open time availability is very fleet dependent

overall it’s not a bad place to work, but after 5 years here I’ve got my resume out at the majors for reasons I won’t go into in a public forum

I’ve been on all the fleets but the 777 at this point and am happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Thanks a lot for the info!

I'm a few months from making a decision so I'll hit you guys up if I think of any other questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

A non-smooth landing doesn’t mean your landing isn’t safe, either. You could make the smoothest landing in the world but if you’re beyond the touchdown zone or off centerline you could kill yourself.

I had a flight attendant poo poo all over one of my landings while in the hotel van and the captain was nice enough to explain to her why smoothness isn't a priority when you're dealing with a hefty crosswind "bUt iT CoUld hAvE BeEn sMoOthEr"