Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
There is no EST or CST in the summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

e.pilot posted:

what about MST

You guys are ok, that's the least of your transgressions

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
:lol::lol::lol: @

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Oh and don't tell me it's random selection either since 8 out of 9 people got randomed at the kcm in RNO today as I was going to work. Total bullshit

It's specifically not random, that's just a nickname/catchword. (Maybe it used to be random in the past? Who knows.) It's called Unpredictable Screening Procedures, and there's various triggers that'll get you on the selection train. (Whether that actually decreases unpredictability, I'll leave to the math PhD's.)

Also we can't go straight to Precheck without being directed by USP, unless you're a Precheck member.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Isn't unpredictable and random the same thing essentially? Or am I being dumb

That is was what I was sorta agreeing with, in my parenthetical. But whether the U in USP is really accurate nomenclature, the secret triggers definitely exist. Common speculation is that that one of them is using KCM at the same airport twice in too short of a time period, is one.

dupersaurus posted:

You can’t use randomness as a cover for over-investigating brown suspicious people

It just pops up a notification on their laptop, when you scan in.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I assume you need a self launch endorsement to fly the shuttle?

Except for the Enterprise

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Guys just the other day I saw Southwest go around, on their own volition, from being unstable.

I know it sounds too far out, but I was there and I saw it and I swear it!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Rolo posted:

My hot take that I know nobody cares about but I gotta post it:

Always hated the “children of the magenta” thing. When I was an instructor the boomer students were even worse at figuring out how to navigate with older tech and literally the only ones who complained when I turned screens off.

If your student cannot understand old school navigation, it isn’t because they’re children, it’s because you aren’t teaching it to them.

"Children" is figurative. And in the famous AA video of Capt. Vandgerburgh's seminar where the phrase originated (or at least caught on), he makes the point multiple times that it's the training department's fault, and "we" (the training department) have failed all those pilots.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Another thread miracle!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Goons that have asked the stairs question on the radio

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
There was a recent skytyping thing that made the forums/social media/group chats circuit in a minor way.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

the milk machine posted:

I have some questions about constant speed props

The normal procedure for changing power seems to be "prop forward, throttle forward" to increase or "throttle back, prop back" to decrease.

Everything they said is true, but to answer this part in a nutshell: For every RPM there's a max allowed manifold pressure, (though, as has been pointed out, this is not "square") to avoid exceeding the safe cylinder pressure during combustion; and doing the changes in this order prevents you from temporarily going through a non-allowed combo. Both directions of power change, you're going in the safer direction first.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Think of the CS prop as a CVT transmission.
Funny, I think of a CVT as a CS prop!

quote:

That is to say, the compressor turbine and the power turbine are attached to separate but concentric shafts
I was about to say WELL ACKSHUALLY they're not concentric, but they actually are... concentric doesn't necessarily mean coaxial.

quote:

This type of engine uses a constant speed prop that is of very similar concept (during flight operation) to that on a piston engine, but whose governor works in a different way.

There's more add-on limiters and at least 1 cross connection between the prop governor and fuel governor for redundancy, but as far as I remember the basic blade governing function is the same.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

none of this is true unless youre talking about some insane turbo compound engine. NA and esp turbo engines can and do run oversquare all the time and its totally normal for them to do so.

Read the part in the parentheses

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

i did read that part and honestly cant imagine what youre referring to. can you give an example?

The IO-360 engine in the Piper Arrow, the ubiquitous most people's first CS prop trainer. Lower right of the graph, below 2400 RPM the MP is limited (ranging from 4 to 7 inches over square.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vessbot fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 28, 2024

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Salami Surgeon posted:

WELL ACKSHUALLY I think you mean compound turbo. Turbo compounding is a completely different thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-compound_engine
Turbo compounding is a really cool technology that you will probably not encounter save for some extreme edge cases

He correctly meant turbo-compound, the late WWII tech of exhaust energy being mechanically fed back into the crankshaft. The only flying engine that features this, the Wright R-3350 has this part removed on all examples due to parts and maintenance, and lack of need (warbirds not carrying war payload).

Compound turbo (running 2 turbos with the compressors in series) is not something done in aviation ever to my knowledge (but I have not been following the developments in Reno sport class in the last decade or so).

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah lol it's as if they took the air data probes and pl..... oh wait

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

When I watch tutorials or read article, there's a bunch of sources telling me to never ever run the engine oversuare

Yeah that's bullshit, because

quote:

according to my POH, running oversquare is far from the exception - it's in fact the norm.

The grain of truth in it is that it's good practice to, when making power changes that involve both levers, to

- when increasing, increase RPM first, and
- when decreasing, decrease throttle first

... which prevents you from temporarily going through the prohibited part of the graph, if you're near it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Does GNSS jamming usually cause crazy stuff like this or is whatever was turned on last night extra special? (Or is this aircraft “extra special”?)

https://x.com/combat_learjet/status/1779513559787139452?s=46

Whole range of effects from the innocuous (ANP exceeds RNP, nothing else happens) to the pretty bad (loss of FMS navigation, false FMS navigation by hundreds of miles, false GPWS alerts)