Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Oh hey knew thread

From the last one:

Bob A Feet posted:

KHOU ATP 737
KNSE T-6B IP
ASEL, Powered lift, rotorcraft- helicopter
CFI ASEL, powered lift, CFII airplane, powered lift.

That’s a mouthful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
It’s hilarious instructing new navy/usmc flight students in primary flight training because you will have the guy that went to ERAU struggle to complete and end up with his last choice (often helicopters) and the guy that went to online university with 0 prior flight experience end up flying a fighter jet.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
It’s a combo of your final scores, your choice, and the wants/needs of whatever service. Once you’ve started flight school, your past doesn’t precede you. I walk in to most flights with 0 idea who I’m flying with or what I’m doing. The student plans and briefs it all.

I flew with an Auburn flight school grad recently who was flying approaches better than I can. He wanted jets. Good scores, great attitude, wanted jets, got jets.

I flew with a Marine recently who wanted jets but didn’t fly so great and he ended up in helicopters.

Sometimes you can want jets and have the scores but the follow-on training pipeline might be backed up so they put you somewhere else.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

yellowD posted:

That's gotta do wonders for recruiting

Well, if you fail out of flight training you can either go drive a ship or be a grunt!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
No clue, but I’d believe it. I think they’re widely regarded as the worst ship drivers in the service but I can hardly blame them. Take a 23 year old with no special training and give him a year long crash course of 18 hours of work with 4 hours of sleep is hardly the recipe for success.

On the flip side, the usmc got me every thing but my ATP.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Yo if we're talking about pilot gear it's new shoes time for me so what do yinz like for footwear that is

Comfortable and breathable (obvs)
TSA compliant because I can't stop getting randomed at KCM and
won't fall apart in a year
300 dollars or less. Although if they're s tier I could go higher

Danke arigato

https://us.ecco.com/ecco-mens-citytray-chelsea-boot-512804.html?dwvar_512804_color=01001#start=1

I have these and ariat roper boots. These are way more comfortable than the ropers. They’re pretty fashionable as well.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Crud back to searching then

poo poo, guess I won’t be buying more Ecco’s. That being said, I found the Chelsea style to fit better with slimmer pants and generally be more stylish and thus help me keep a grasp on my youth. The ropers just had such wide trunks around the ankles, which made them enormous.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
So you’re the reason why I keep getting emails about butterknives through my company? Where’s that meme of the guy spreading cream cheese on a bagel with the crash ax?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I forget to pack them so I always end up going to an airport restaurant and taking some :shrug:

I commute from an airport without KCM so my complaints have been tempered by having my poo poo scanned every time I leave home. Nothing like getting stuck behind five people on one of the new machines that flags my bag every time for no reason.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Well, the reality of being a first officer at a plucky, small, culturally rich Texas based air carrier has become slightly better. The new contract was almost completely rewritten and has patched in a lot of the open holes. I still have some skepticism about some parts of it but at this point, eh 🤷🏻

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

MrYenko posted:

The internet chatter seems to be saying that it’s alternately the second coming of Labor or the worst thing that’s happened to SWA since they did away with FA miniskirts. Any details on what’s good and bad? Trying to live vicariously through people whose union actually gets them paid.

Good: FO pay is roughly legacy 757 + 1%, first year pay is easily industry leading, disability is great, retirement. patched up some holes in scheduling, some positive reserve rule changes, training bidding, way better per diem, crew meals paid as money

Bad: retro pay not 100%, CA pay is roughly 739 pay + 1% (they want more), Cobases for DFW, IAH, and ORD, some weak language in most sections, no strong hotel language (we have some lovely hotels in our system), no major overhaul to reserve rules (no LC basically).

The emotion you see is from the crowd that was expecting 100% retro and captain pay to be higher. I honestly think some guys are so disillusioned that they lost a grounded reference to reality during the negotiations. They’re a very vocal and emotional group. I’m prob a yes because it solves every problem I’ve had and what affect the pilot group mostly. I think it’ll pass but prob with a slim margin.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
It will be $116.41 per TFP, which is our wacky pay system that pays distance instead of time (roughly and in most cases). The generally accepted hourly conversion is that it is 15% less than what an hourly rate would be.

So final answer is $116.41 x 1.149 = 133.75 an hour, roughly.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1W1ml-uRT0

What DPE in their right mind signed her off for a private or what cereal box did she get her ticket off the back of?

Not only was she a lovely pilot, but she recorded and posted it to the interwebs for everyone to see.

Didn’t she die?

edit, turns out if I pressed play that video covers it very clearly lol

Edit 2- holy poo poo I can’t believe she posted that. Can’t believe I share the skies with people like this, holy gently caress.

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 12, 2024

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
That is so cool!!!

There was a goon here who was an approach controller in Corpus Christi who asked me if I had stairs in my house while flying, over approach. Trying to explain that to the guy I was flying with was fun.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Kwolok posted:

How in the heck does that kind of discussion even organically happen over VHF :psyduck:

We had talked itt about him working there and my navy squadrons callsign. I mentioned I was doing a flight the next day with a specific callsign and he happened to be working.

Still doesn’t negate the weirdness of the question. It may have been ferret king too I’m not sure. It was prob ten years ago.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I drink coffee from the plane. Haven’t died yet!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Kesper North posted:

Do we know if they're still on flight status or did their keys get taken away?

I’m pretty sure it was some light peepee slapping but nobodies careers or flying was hurt due to it. Chances are those guys are shuttling airliners around the country as we speak.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Rolo posted:

This is my first month holding a line and now I don’t wanna do anything else the rest of my life.

Got back tired yesterday so I traded my Saturday trip for something easier that starts on Tuesday. No reserve, no whining from scheduling, I’m just off the next 4 days now so I can chill and drink beer.

This is the life, man.

Amen brother. Coming from the military, it’s almost still inconceivable that I am completely free when I walk off the jet bridge.

I don’t know how some people are always angry or stressed at work. This job is the best. I get to do all my favorite things every day at work: drink coffee, read a book, work out, fly an airplane. I spend every moment of an overnight I can by myself. I love hanging out with the crew but I alone can recharge my batteries and give every moment back to my kids once I’m home (and let my wife relax a bit).

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
A non-smooth landing doesn’t mean your landing isn’t safe, either. You could make the smoothest landing in the world but if you’re beyond the touchdown zone or off centerline you could kill yourself.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Rolo posted:

Just until early tomorrow. Went to El Gordo for Al pastor lunch tacos, about to go to underbelly for dinner ramen.

I’m eating pretty good today.

Bro, it’s hard to beat little Italy for some good eats. That’s one of the best places in the country. Check out the midway or the aviation museum if you find yourself there again.

God bless San Diego, what a great loving place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Is it MCI that has a bunch of old airliners rotting on the ramp? Lots of old liveries as you taxi by.

I enjoy the same thing.