Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got that new cheese block smell in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
When were you flying the Lear?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You train at FSI in Tucson?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh dang I was working at Flight Safety in the Lear programs when you were flying them, would have been a small world.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KodiakRS posted:

Feel free to update me to PHX/A320 in the op although I will soon be LAX/777 because I suck at bidding.

Get a load of mister wide body over here! Congrats on the new type :cheers:

Really wish we still flew 330’s. I wanna go wide one day but I love DA BUS.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

azflyboy posted:

After you pay them $101k for your ratings, if you're too good to build time by working as a CFI or something, you can pay an additional $175,000 for 1,188 hours flying around in a 172 with some other dumb bastard who signed up for that program.

This is criminal. I took out ~88k at 22 years old, which is insane, to get my ratings and I struggled my rear end off just to pay the absolute minimum. Granted, the aviation economy sucked badly while I was starting out and it took me like 4 years to start feeling comfortably paid. I still cannot imagine having that much debt during the “gee I sure hope this career is for me” phase. Christ.

KodiakRS posted:

Thanks. I was aiming for CLT 777 but I didn't think I would get it. So I put in a bid for LAX 777 to get on the equipment earlier and then transfer domiciles when I could hold CLT. I did some thinking and realized that if things changed in CLT, or it got more senior, I could be stuck in LAX for a long time. So I decided to remove my LAX bid.

Except I forgot to actually remove it.

And then it went ~2,000 numbers junior to CLT/777 with me as the one of the lowest awards.

oops.

Oops! At least it wasn’t a lateral equipment move with a base change or something. I’ve heard of guys that build this long rear end preference list while in orientation and forget about it then guess what, you’re now a short call captain on the 73 across the country, stupid!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Good on you.

Boomers that aren’t in aviation are STILL telling me to finish my degree because I absolutely have to have one to be successful in life. I’m already at the last airplane job I ever want to work, if I lose my medical I’ll begrudgingly teach airplane stuff. I’m also on track to make a ton of money and have a kickass life.

Stop trying to get me further in debt, you’re all retired and stupid and don’t need to be giving advice to the working class.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
“No Degree lol” on my nice rear end tombstone

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Maaaaan I thought getting an island trip in OE was a good thing cause I get my qualification ride out of the way.

Now I’m the only junior guy qualified for these early rear end pop-up’s to NAS. I should be sleeping!!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

But he wasn’t charged with the coolest sounding crime

I knew what this was gonna be before I clicked on it. Every time I do some kind of security paperwork I’m like “they should really clarify this as something less kickass sounding.”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

Aren’t the T-handles a fuel cut off and discharging a bottle a separate action?

Though, I’ll believe anything you tell me about a CRJ.

Wasn’t it an ERJ-175?

If it was a CRJ, the fire buttons and bottle buttons are separate. Assuming it’s the same design as the challenger I used to fly, which I think it is, pressing the fire button while the engines aren’t at idle/cutoff is super duper bad for the fuel system and can start fires that weren’t there before.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

yellowD posted:

If was on fire and taking damage I'd think there is concern about trying to relight and not having any fire suppression available if it goes bad?

If you have another healthy engine then yeah don't touch it but if you're choosing between zero engines and one that is getting hosed up while making thrust...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
When I worked at FSI we had an instructor that, during recurrent, liked to give you a flock of birds on takeoff that would kill an engine and light the other on fire. Every so often a guy would grab the glowing handle without thinking and whelp here comes the red screen.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Whelp, after 13 years of service my A20’s aren’t working on most of the busses I plug them into. Rather than spend 300 on a new cable assembly for an old headset I ordered a Proflight 2.

Forgive me, bank account, for I have sinned.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh good to know. I'll probably keep my order, I've been on and off looking for something lighter but I appreciate the lookout.

My plan is to keep them for when I finally get back into GA. Any day now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My rockports look like Frankenstein shoes but they’re comfy and cost like 80 bucks!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Never has been

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Apollo posted:

Highly recommend this guy.

https://www.kcheadsets.com

1 week turnaround from receiving the headset. Fix was $150

Thanks for this, I definitely want to get them fixed eventually and keep them as a GA headset. They're really wonderful, just a bit bulky to keep in my work bag.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love being based in CLT. KCM flag? Go through the airport employee lane. Zero passenger lines until you get flagged somewhere else.

TSA dinged both of us out of MEM the other day then took the captains flight bag off the belt in the pre check line and pulled everything out of it. They were pissed.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love applications that make you fill every hour of every type you’ve flown cause I have an hour in a B17.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
TSA still sucks. My KCM badge somehow mis-scanned today and he starts grilling me on why “my last name doesn’t match my badge” so I look at my passport and badge, ask what he means and he jumps down my throat with “what’re you trying to do man why is your name different on my screen? What did you do?”

He scanned it again and it worked the second time but he decided not to let me in anyways. Total rear end in a top hat acting like he pulled me over then getting pissy when he finds out I didn’t do anything wrong. Laaaaaame.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It's crazy. I worked a long duty day yesterday, woke up today and picked up another trip that puts me in the hotel after midnight then gets me home late tomorrow. I still cannot fathom doing anything else for my career. I'm gonna relax all day, treat myself to a huge meal, take a nap, fly an airplane tonight and sleep in tomorrow.

Been flying (and posting here) for 13 years now and I still love what I do. Who gets to reflect on their job like that? Hell yeah.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

When I go home a switch flips and I completely forget about aviation unless I’m reading this thread or someone asks me a question about flying, or a coworker contacts me, etc. Life becomes all about my kids, what are we gonna eat today, my friends, wrist watches, and video games. Then a day before my next trip I remember I’m a pilot. And that’s cool when it happens, I actually love my job.

Coming from corporate always-on bullshit culture, I’m seeing this side of the fence for the first time and it’s like dropping a huge weight off my back.

I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to fly 135 in this economy while under 65 years old with fewer than 2 DUI’s.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What do you guys think about trips that end with a red eye? I’m gonna try to volunteer for one this week that has one leg home that pays 2 days. Yeah I hit the pillow at like 6am but then I’m off for the rest of the day before getting another 4 days off. Seems kinda dope.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

You should do it if only so you can get a feel for whether you wanna do it in the future.

Thats kinda my process outside of “ask the thread.” If I hate it I’ll avoid it in the future but I’ve been talking to a surprising amount of captains at all ages that like it.

Animal posted:

I accepted a promotion at my airline that will sadly put an end to this, I’ll be working a lot from home, and occasionally choosing a trip to go fly. I’d much rather be a line pilot, but the amount of money I will be making will mean a better future for my family. Buying a home in NYC will become realistic.

I said this in another thread but congrats again!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’d look at rates, online reviews and go meet some of the instructors. You may not know about airplanes but you’ll know if you don’t want someone as your teacher. Also ask about discovery flights, which are about as close as you can get to trying a school. Might spend a few hundo doing that but you can use that time towards your certificate.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve done training in an archer, warrior and 172, they’re all great in my opinion.

I started low wing because I was terrified of flying and not seeing straight down as much really helped.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

the milk machine posted:

i'm just rolling an idea around in my head, but are there any a&p mechanics here? what's that like for work? how intense is the training?

I was one from like 2010-2014. Pay sucked, work was good, learned a ton and got better at working on my car on the side. If it’s a job that lets you actually afford rent in 2023 I can’t say it’s worse than an office job.

As for training, I had enough relevant experience to get away with just taking the written/practical for the certificates. If you know how to pass any FAA written you’re already halfway there. No experience with going to school for it, though.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 8, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Heard Norse Atlantic on the radio yesterday, the callsign “longship” is so cool.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

I just got yelled at by a KCM TSA agent with face tattoos that “yo, your names don’t match!!!” between my crew badge and my passport. My crew badge has FIRST LAST and my passport has FIRST MIDDLE LAST MOTHERSMAIDEN. A non-TSA security guard had to calm him down and explain that this is normal. He glared at me and waved me through. Very strong Idiocracy vibes.

Dude I posted almost the same exact story last month. My KCM badge barcode pulled a different account and he started saying “why isn’t your last name matching this.” I had no idea what he meant by that so I start frantically looking at my passport and badge wondering if I magically swapped them with someone else while he started acting like a cop, asking me what I was trying to pull. Dude finally scanned again, it pulled up my name up and he still wouldn’t let me in.

Punk bitch.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Kwolok posted:

My ultimate goal is probably just to take friends on little trips, let them fly with me and experience it as well. Sure that might wear thin eventually but I think this is a good goal. I doubt I'll ever own but there is a really great flyers club here.

I’d bet it doesn’t wear thin. When I was going to FL and back for work 3 days a week it almost started getting stale, but even then flying is neat and the job is good.

Flying GA with friends just for kicks? I don’t see that getting old ever. poo poo is so fun.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Congrats!! I’ll be posting something similar in April, lord willing.

Also yeah I remember doing the solo GA for fun thing and I miss it. I used to have a bunch of airport bum friends when I was a CFI and people would let me use their planes if I put some gas in and kept them current when needed.

Extremely good times.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
East coast guard freq was entertaining tonight to say the least.

“You guys shouldn’t be on here, it’s for serious use only.”

“Go away Delta, you probably wear your hat under your headset.”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What's first year FO pay becoming? just curious.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My understanding is it’s a mandatory part of the uniform.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Merry Christmas, air goons. My family got me the Lego Concorde, kick rear end!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ugh I might be calling out on new years reserve while still on probation.

I think someone went and got me sick.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I ended up calling out and I definitely have at least a cold. We got a handful of hours with the new contract so oh well! Time to sit in bed with a book and some video games.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
TSA goon just straight up catcalled 2 of the FA’s I walked out with. It was creepy and lame as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

check your PM (unrelated to the TSA mouthbreathers)

Heyyy nice I’ll add you when I get done today