Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Rolo posted:

Good on you.

Boomers that aren’t in aviation are STILL telling me to finish my degree because I absolutely have to have one to be successful in life. I’m already at the last airplane job I ever want to work, if I lose my medical I’ll begrudgingly teach airplane stuff. I’m also on track to make a ton of money and have a kickass life.

Stop trying to get me further in debt, you’re all retired and stupid and don’t need to be giving advice to the working class.

I never finished my degree but work in an unrelated field currently, but still make decent money. I’ve expressed here before that I’d like to keep chipping away at my hours and knock my commercial single-engine out soon and ideally, slowly transition into a professional aviation career debt-free and without teaching. I’ll never finish my bachelors and don’t ever plan on it. Don’t care what anyone says at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
San Diego flyer here. Never heard of that flight school since I fly mostly out of CRQ, but those rates are pretty good for primary trainers. Most of the schools up here charge closer to $200/hr wet for their aircraft but have slightly better avionics and are newer. That place seems fine for getting your private.

One thing I will mention about MYF is that it can quite often be a shitshow down there. From what I've heard and experienced, there are just way too many students, the pattern can be a mess, and I would not have wanted to do any sort of training down there. KSEE, or KCRQ, or even KRNM would be my first choice. Even CRQ can get to be busy but it's not nearly as overrun with students. We had a seminar last year with controllers from the SoCal agencies and tower facilities, and the controllers at KSEE, KRNM, and even down at Brown (KSDM), were begging for traffic. Even if it is a longer commute to the airport, a few extra dollars in car gas is a lot cheaper than an aircraft engine that's running.

Maybe I'm just getting old and grizzled, but my patience for people who are not ready to be flying solo, or have no business flying at all and are just boomer idiots, is just low. Flying and training should be a fun experience at YOUR pace, and when you get moved and sequenced around the airport like an airliner during rush hour at JFK, it just doesn't feel fun. Over the course of my flying, my least favorite flights have been ones where I've been rushed by either controllers, instructors, or both. When you feel rushed, you get behind the plane, when you're behind the plane, you make mistakes and it just doesn't feel good, and is incredibly dangerous. Find a pace that works for you and your learning style and it will be worth it in the end.

If you have any other questions specifically about flying down here, feel free to reach out.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Last month, I flew to Burbank from CRQ twice for work. The first time, I took a 230hp C182. Flight time was 00:54. The next week, I took the same route with a 180hp Archer II, flight time was 00:55. The cost per hour for the 182 was about $50 more than the Archer. Granted the 182 also had an autopilot and far better avionics, they both were totally fine for that trip. I think when you start to go farther, and if you’re carrying more stuff/people, the 182 starts to make up for its higher price in speed and amenities.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I was ON a Southwest flight that had to go around into Tucson last month. Then we diverted to Phoenix to get more gas because there was a storm sitting over the airport, before trying again. We made it the second time.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
How do you get oil and grease off your hands? A little bit of 100LL works wonders!

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
At my flying club, we have three levels: “low,” “medium,” and “plane down” that members can squawk a plane for. More than once, I’ve seen people write legitimate things in “low” or “medium” and then someone else will come along and go “not required for day VFR.” Like, of course it’s not required for day VFR but what if someone wanted to take the plane out IFR, or at night, these are things the owner should address, we don’t need your smartass comments.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I’ve been using flight insight for my commercial ground, and I have really enjoyed it. Plus, their pricing model is definitely great.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Kwolok posted:

So I realize I am still a complete and utter baby, I am hovering around 20 hours of flight experience and ~30-40 landings total. Again I realize this is not a lot of time at all, but I still feel just so loving poo poo at landings. I am finally starting to get a handle on the comms aspect of the pattern, though that can still be difficult. I am also better at managing all the various things to get configured for approach and stay stable in pattern etc.

But when it comes to putting the plane on the ground its always rough, or I float down the runway or I swerve all over the place after I touch down. My instructor is super encouraging and positive but I feel like I have barely improved after the first few attempts. Like I am stuck in limbo of being loving terrible at this. Today I did 11 touch and goes and three of them were go arounds after bouncing off the pavement...

Were you doing all of them at MYF? If so, try going out to a different, less congested airport. There’s no worse feeling in flying than being or feeling rushed, and getting behind the aircraft. Hell, even go out to like L08 or KRNM.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Rolo posted:

I’m in a long SAN layover and I am this close to buying a banana board for when I get trips to cities with weather this chill.

I get home tomorrow afternoon. How long you there for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Rolo posted:

Just until early tomorrow. Went to El Gordo for Al pastor lunch tacos, about to go to underbelly for dinner ramen.

I’m eating pretty good today.

Well, let me know if you’re around town again. Always down for a goonmeet, or even a goon flight.