Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

So at the moment 13 teams are starting QBs with less than 3 full seasons of starting experience. I've seen minimal level takes in the N/V thread and some really dumb ones in others about the young QBs around the league. So I wanted to start a thread to discuss a little bit as the season goes on. I've mainly listed starters below, but if you want to discuss dudes who've been drafted who are backups or who have had weird careers so far - Trey Lance included, go for it.

Current starting QBs with less than 3 full seasons experience:

3rd year:
Mac Jones
Justin Fields
Trey Lance
Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson

2nd Year:
Kenny Pickett
Sam Howell
Brock Purdy
Desmond Ridder

Rookies (of note):
Anthony Richardson
CJ Stroud
Bryce Young
Tyson Bagent
William Mayo Levis

Misc:
Jordan Love

What do you think about your team's QB? Should you cut bait (Mac?), are they in a terrible situation (Bryce), are they doin well (Purdy, Stroud)?

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That Brock Purdy kid seems pretty good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
That Panthers trade is going to be a rough one.........

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

That Panthers trade is going to be a rough one.........

I don't think that it is tbh. Panther fans have PTSD from the last few years and how Cam was destroyed. Bryce had a bad day today, but he also flashed a little more than he has in other weeks in other situations and I saw him looking to Mingo and Chark more than he has in weeks past.

Both of those interceptions today were a rookie doing stuff that worked for him in college and getting exposed by a solid defensive read and play. He's still doing the little things right, he looks off, he checks, he can change plays, he can play up tempo. Despite protestations to the contrary his arm is live and he has good placement and touch. He's just not been breaking records, but with his supporting cast I don't think anyone would be.

It's going to be a long turn around given Reich is running weird concepts and schemes on offense at times and the offensive line has not been playing well but there have been injuries there. The fear I have with Young is that there is already a tendency creeping into his game where he seems to be expecting pressure and gets a little yippy, had it last week and it happened again today on a couple of occasions. but I think with comfort and a little more time that will pass and he'll develop the habits he needs to.

Next week against the Dolphins will probably be a bit of a poo poo show for the franchise as a whole, but the week after is the Bye and then they face the Texans. My pie in the sky hope is that they use the Bye week effectively and actually start to utilise the concepts that are working a lot more and cutting away the dumb poo poo like the slow developing perimeter screens etc. They also need to be using Laviska Shenault a lot more. He's nothing special but he is fast and explosive and can make plays in space and I'd really like to see the team come up with four or five plays for him each week instead of 0.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Patriots have to be about ready to cut bait with Mac Jones at this point right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BlindSite posted:

I don't think that it is tbh. Panther fans have PTSD from the last few years and how Cam was destroyed. Bryce had a bad day today, but he also flashed a little more than he has in other weeks in other situations and I saw him looking to Mingo and Chark more than he has in weeks past.

Both of those interceptions today were a rookie doing stuff that worked for him in college and getting exposed by a solid defensive read and play. He's still doing the little things right, he looks off, he checks, he can change plays, he can play up tempo. Despite protestations to the contrary his arm is live and he has good placement and touch. He's just not been breaking records, but with his supporting cast I don't think anyone would be.

It's going to be a long turn around given Reich is running weird concepts and schemes on offense at times and the offensive line has not been playing well but there have been injuries there. The fear I have with Young is that there is already a tendency creeping into his game where he seems to be expecting pressure and gets a little yippy, had it last week and it happened again today on a couple of occasions. but I think with comfort and a little more time that will pass and he'll develop the habits he needs to.

Next week against the Dolphins will probably be a bit of a poo poo show for the franchise as a whole, but the week after is the Bye and then they face the Texans. My pie in the sky hope is that they use the Bye week effectively and actually start to utilise the concepts that are working a lot more and cutting away the dumb poo poo like the slow developing perimeter screens etc. They also need to be using Laviska Shenault a lot more. He's nothing special but he is fast and explosive and can make plays in space and I'd really like to see the team come up with four or five plays for him each week instead of 0.

Would you take Young over Caleb Williams+DJ Moore?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

My biggest concern with Bryce Young is that by the time he gets a functional supporting cast (coaching including) he's going to be really, really beat up so it won't matter.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Purdy is solid as gently caress. His decision making, anticipation, and timing is winning games. Here's a breakdown of last week's play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58J5uOc_FWA

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Patriots have to be about ready to cut bait with Mac Jones at this point right?

It is hard to watch him play quarterback in that offense. That offense is hard to watch in general though. I'd be curious to see how Zappe would do just out of morbid curiosity. At any rate that would help us figure out the WOWY factor of Mac Jones.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm happy the Texans drafted CJ Stroud, because if we had only drafted Will Anderson, Jr. we'd still be bad.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Hell make it even easier - would you take Young over Stroud?

It's a potential double whammy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I'm happy the Texans drafted CJ Stroud, because if we had only drafted Will Anderson, Jr. we'd still be bad.

I thought they were always going to take Stroud and that they were really trading the 1 for Anderson which is what I thought was a bad trade but it looks like he's pretty good PLUS stroud looks good so it sure looks good now.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

I thought they were always going to take Stroud and that they were really trading the 1 for Anderson which is what I thought was a bad trade but it looks like he's pretty good PLUS stroud looks good so it sure looks good now.

It was a good trade, to me. A new coach and GM are already on a ticking clock so premium players now are worth more than more good players later. They got the top 3 players on both sides of the balls to start the rebuild.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Probably not, but how often do we see a presumptive first overall pick end up dropping in the space of a year? It happens all the time. You move up and you get the guy you want. I can't fault them for taking a swing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
3rd year:

Mac Jones - poo poo and has always been poo poo. To be slightly more fair, he would be an acceptable backup. I do not see him as a long term starter in the league.

Justin Fields - A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. Kind of. Not the best passer but can hit occasionally. Very bad processor. Excellent runner of the football. Hard to separate his performance from the team's but he definitely is more of a wildcard type, maybe can win some games but his passing is at a low enough level that it will always be a roller coaster ride week to week.

Trey Lance - Always injured, horribly inexperienced, a very bad pick from top to bottom, insane the 49ers hosed up that badly yet still somehow lucked into a 7th round jackpot. Supposed to add value on the ground but really he was gangly, awkward, injured easily, and did not have a good feel for running the football. I don't blame him, but he never should've even been considered as a first round QB. I'm a big time Dak hater but I have no doubt that Dak is still way way better than Lance. Maybe eventually he'll develop into something but it seems pretty unlikely at this point.

Trevor Lawrence - Not the generational prospect he was touted as by some, in my opinion. Honestly, kind of average. Doesn't have a lot of touch on the ball, which is a common issue among most of these young QBs. Big arm, tall, can see the field easily, has some escapability. A talented young player to build around, but hasn't shown that he's franchise changing quite yet.

Zach Wilson - Very similar to Trey Lance in so many ways. Inexperienced, played at a lower level, only one good year against crap competition, loves mormon MILFs, shouldn't have ever been drafted in the first round. No future in the NFL.

2nd Year:

Kenny Pickett - Really thought this might be his breakout year, but he's been pretty disappointing so far. His main problem is just straight up missing throws. He does not put the ball in the right place, it kind of seems random where it ends up which is not great for a quarterback. Not totally given up on him but very much doubting that he will still be the top qb in Pittsburgh in a few years.

Sam Howell - I don't think he's been all that impressive, although he has demonstrated better accuracy than his fellow 2nd years ourside of Purdy. Has some wiggle and can pick up first downs on the ground. High variance play. Probably the second best in this group even so.

Brock Purdy - What more can you say about him, he's an absolute baller. Basically proves the fact that processing, preparation, feel, and accuracy can still make one a top tier quarterback even without elite size, speed, arm strength or other measureables.

Desmond Ridder - Has looked really, really poo poo. This past week against the Texans was by a longshot the best game of his career, but could very well have been more luck than anything. I'm not buying him at the moment.

Rookies (of note):

Anthony Richardson - Could potentially turn into something special. The string of injuries is very concerning, he won't last long as a starter if he's getting hurt almost every week. Apart from that he's just been okay. Hit some impressive passes, missed some others, showed a good deal of ability on the ground. A good fit for the Colts but he's just a rookie, we'll have to see how it goes with him.

CJ Stroud - I'm a huge Stroud fan, I mean the kid has been unbelievable to start his rookie year. What jumps off the screen is his anticipation, accuracy, and the arm strength to really rocket passes into tight windows over the middle. Set a record for most pass attempts to start career without a pick last week, despite it being a loss. He's elevated the Texans with his mere presence which is all you can ask of a rookie QB on a bad team.

Bryce Young - Struggling down in Carolina but I also see things I like. Love his quick overhand release, his accuracy has been strong even if he has been picked off by defenders he didn't realize were there. Needs to work on his pre-snap evaluation of the defense and his post-snap processing. Not a big fan of his casual dropback style, I think the team needs to work with him on being more crisp with his movements. The Panthers are an extremely bad team, they are doing very little to help him, but I think it's fair to say he's been the least impressive of the three so far. However I think he could absolutely turn out to be really good even if the rest of this season probably won't be amazing due to him being a rookie and what the team has put around him. And obviously there is his height to consider, which is likely making it even harder for him to succeed.

Misc:
Jordan Love - Not super impressed to be honest. Seems kind of like a slower but luckily more accurate Desmond Ridder. Which is fine I guess, but so far he hasn't looked like any kind of Aaron Rodgers replacement. Still, he's played decently.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Please stop getting hurt, Anthony Richardson. He's so fun to watch and has gotten better each start.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Richardson doesn't dodge anyone when he runs and he's not built like Cam or Daniel Jones so when he gets hit he crumples and breaks

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The Vikings could be looking for a new QB in the coming draft and hey, they might just have a high draft pick.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
3rd Year:

Mac Jones - There's no point in him starting any further, or playing another down in the Pats uniform if they can help it. We know Belichick can be stubborn for the sake of being stubborn, or he may think that Bailey Zappe won't do any better so why throw him to the wolves, or Belichick is waiting for the Raiders to fire McDaniels at the end of the season and he can come back and be the OC again, but Mac has struggled so much that people are thinking it'll end Belichick's time in New England when he's within spitting distance of breaking Shula's all-time wins record. There's no FA who can come in and fix things, so either the Pats go with what little they have or, IMO, trend-break and trade now for...

Justin Fields - Someone else who gains nothing by playing another down for their current team. The rep right now feels like Fields has some potential but has absolute dogshit around him, but the more Fields gets exposed out there the more the rep can turn into Fields has nothing to work with but is bad as well. Trading Fields now allows the Bears to maximize whatever return they can get for him, before Fields gets exposed further or hurt, while whoever trades for Fields has half a season to determine if they want to pick up his 5th year option or not.

Trey Lance - Someone who needed to go somewhere that would allow him to take meaningful snaps, which was not Dallas. It's hard to see Lance's 5th year getting picked up, though Jerry Jones does whatever the voices in his head tell him to do at any given time, and with such little game tape he'll have to win a backup job in camp. It's a shame that someone with potential and such little XP never got a real chance to gain said XP, but maybe he'll show out in the USXFL and be back in the League that way.

Trevor Lawrence - A league average QB, which isn't the worse thing in the world, but not for someone who was considered a generational prospect and had teams drooling from the second he enrolled at Clemson. That lost first year under Urbz hurts more and more, and maybe the Jags can get enough talent around him that Lawrence can progress into a top-10 QB, and maybe the best thing is Lawrence signs a reasonable extension that allows Jacksonville to spend on the other pieces, and maybe Shao Khan can convince his idiot failson to give up his wrestling promotion and try becoming a real boy. Maybe false hope is better than no hope in Jacksonville.

Zach Wilson - He's getting more playing time in the NFL then he was going to get otherwise, and now the question is whether he stays in New York next season or if the Jets cut bait and dump Wilson even with a guaranteed year left on his rookie deal. Someone else who will have to turn to the USXFL to extend their career.

2nd Year

Brock Purdy - I kept waiting for Purdy to turn back into a pumpkin and he has yet to do so. At this point the Niners need to consider the window as wide open as they can and sign whoever they need to in the off-season and front load their contracts while they have a Pro-Bowl level QB who accounts for chicken scratch against their cap space. If Kittle/CMC/Deebo/etc.. and Purdy himself can stay healthy, the Niners not winning a ring this and/or next season before Purdy joins the 35-40m/y club will be considered a major waste of opportunity.

Kenny Pickett - Playing replacement-level football, plain and simple. Have to imagine that Pittsburgh looks to either Cousins in the off-season, or maybe they'll be the latest team to roll the dice on Baker Mayfield, but the results right now should cement Pickett to the bench until he's released from the team.

Sam Howell - Decent player on a bad/cursed franchise? I see the 68.6% completion rate, just outside of the top 10, and wonder if there might be something there somewhere else. Then I see the 6:6 TD:INT ratio and wonder if that completion percentage is a mirage. Then I see the 29 sacks and wonder if he's aware of what a pass rush is or if he simply chooses not to acknowledge one. He's league average at 7.1y per attempt, so it's not all dinks and dunks as far as I can tell (NOTE: I do not watch Commanders football unless I have to). The boat long ran aground for Riverboat Ron, so maybe an offensive-minded coach can come in and unlock something, or Howell can go somewhere else, or maybe he can hang around the league for a dozen years and accomplish almost nothing of note.

Desmond Ridder - A whatever player on a whatever team in a whatever division. The worst thing for the Falcons is that Ridder fails upwards enough for them to win the division at 8-9 or 7-10, keeping them from the Williams/Maye/Sanders triumverate at the top of next year's draft. Winning the division means they'd be stuck with Ridder for another year, but not winning the division puts them fringe Top 10 and having to give up capital to make a move upwards, unless they want to lose their minds and make Bo Nix a higher pick than he deserves.

Rooks

Anthony Richardson - I was never a believer in Richardson and thought that his downfall would come midway through next season, when he would be benched with like a 7:18 TD:INT ratio. Turns out he might not even make it that far if the Colts can't keep another franchise QB from being killed. I didn't think he'd ever be accurate enough to be a long-term NFL starter short of a Josh Allen miracle, and said miracle will never occur if he's spending more time on the IL then on the field. Watch Indy panic and be the ones to overpay Cousins next year as they start their QB roulette wheel up once more.

CJ Stroud - Early returns are promising. The accuracy needs to come way up but the lack of INTs either show that he has good awareness or he's pants on head lucky to start his career. Houston is still a shitshow and they'll have to put talent around Stroud, but so far so good.

Bryce Young - Someone else where it's hard to get a good feel because everything around him is butt. There's decent moments but they are far and few between and asking the Panthers to produce a competent team is making far too big an ask for a franchise that doesn't deserve it. Young might pan out, he might flame out, he might be pounded into dust and left on the side of the road; if I had to make a wager I'd bet on the latter.

Jordan Love - A case where you wonder what the Packers could have done with that first round pick when they were the best regular season team in the NFL b2b years. Maybe A-A-Ron doesn't play well enough without being mad at the team, maybe Green Bay selects someone that would hava made a difference. Packers are committed to him through '24 at least, so he'll have a chance to prove whether he's worth a poo poo or not.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 10, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Everything I've heard about Jordan love seems to be along the lines of walks like a duck, quacks like a duck but isn't in terms of being a starting calibre QB.

Its not good signs imo when you can produce the first two weeks and turn into a giant pumpkin the moment there's more than a half of game film to go on.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hoooooo boy, so far this thread is (in my opinion) severely underrating Trevor Lawrence who is far and away the best on this list followed by Purdy and Stroud

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I would prefer it if the titans would just be good but in the absence of that which, eh, we’ll see, I would like to see some time for Malik Willis this year to see how much progress he’s actually made. I think he’ll be just bad enough to clear the runway for Billy Jeans next season

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

trevor lawrence is great. throws hard by default but can beat the coverage with a catchable ball and does so often. saw some of that last week. it was decided that trevor would be the smartest and most savvy qb in the nfl after a couple years. i don't think those things are going to happen but he'll still be in the running for those things. just not freakishly so. remember how andrew luck only reached 60% career completion after his final year? he really looked like everything that year. that was year 7. not my problem

trey lance doesn't have a place in the nfl. theoretically could still be a project. start really playing at age 26 or 27 like tony romo or somebody. i guess that is the plan of the dallas cowboys. they'll just draft somebody here in a year or two and get rid of that guy

kenny pickett reminds me of average qbs from the years 1997 through 2005. some of those guys would do a little something like jake plummer. but kenny isn't that much like that guy. that's just an example of a guy. i think he will win the super bowl

bryce young throws it to not a good place pretty often unless it's to the tight end for 6..... yards. not points. got you there. i don't know whose fault it is. he seems smart. i think he will not wash out

the rest i don't know. i don't know who that is. it's my fault

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Still wondering what the hell this was

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1711550730484744305

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Russell Wilson Ranks (of 33 qualifying qbs per PFR):
  • TD%: 2nd best
  • INT%: 8th
  • Completion %: 17th
  • Yards per Attempt: 10th

Huh. He's not great but his stats are a lot better than I was expecting.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AndrewP posted:

Hoooooo boy, so far this thread is (in my opinion) severely underrating Trevor Lawrence who is far and away the best on this list followed by Purdy and Stroud

It's Lawrence 1a and Stroud 1b... for NOW.

Stroud is so fr34king accurate with his touch :)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Extremely cool

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

mllaneza posted:

Purdy is solid as gently caress. His decision making, anticipation, and timing is winning games. Here's a breakdown of last week's play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58J5uOc_FWA

That first touchdown to Kittle was probably the most impressive throw I saw him make in that game. Nobody open right away but he doesn't panic, drifts out of the pocket just long enough to buy Kittle time to get open and delivers it right to him with rushers bearing right down on him.

That's the stuff that separates him from Jimmy. The moment he couldn't just hit his first or second read right away he's taking a sack or throwing an awful pick every time.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Mac Jones sucks balls. Start Zappe. He's not a better passer but at least he can move a bit in the pocket and I don't want to punch his stupid face.

AndrewP posted:

Even excusing the Meyer year, TLaw has been very mediocre and generally inconsistent from game to game and half to half.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Justin Fields is the best case scenario for a bears quarterback in that he sometimes plays well enough where you are not convinced he sucks.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I wouldn't go so far to say Lawrence has been "mediocre" but I feel like if he switched draft positions with Purdy we'd be talking about the two QBs very differently.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

I wouldn't go so far to say Lawrence has been "mediocre" but I feel like if he switched draft positions with Purdy we'd be talking about the two QBs very differently.

If they switch draft positions does Purdy also have to spend a year suffering on the Meyer Jags?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fsif posted:

I think you're underselling Purdy's decision making and accuracy.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
This has gotten silly. Brock Purdy is a good QB. Stupendous for being Mr. Irrelevant. Trevor Lawrence is the much better QB at this point in time.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
That’s insane. No he isn’t. Leaving aside how much I like to say Trevor bust just look at the stats man. Purdy is blowing everyone out of the water

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Bismack Billabongo posted:

That’s insane. No he isn’t. Leaving aside how much I like to say Trevor bust just look at the stats man. Purdy is blowing everyone out of the water

He’s played 3/4th of one season in total and he’s got the second best offense coach in the game and talent all over the offense. He’s been really good but it’s tough to compare because he’s in a pretty unique situation. Kyle Shanahan made Matt Ryan look like the best QB in the NFL for a season with lesser talent than what the 49ers have now. Ryan was a pretty good QB but he wasn’t as good as he looked in 2016.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Is there a doug pederson system?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lawrence seems like a guy who will be the 9th best QB in the NFL for like 15 years. Never elite of the elite but always pretty good.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I Have Watched Every Justin Fields Snap And I'm Here To Tell You He Will Be An MVP Candidate Some Day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Trevor is elite! By the end of this season you'll all see.

T Law playing for the 49ers would be the presumptive MVP right now