Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bismack Billabongo posted:

That’s insane. No he isn’t. Leaving aside how much I like to say Trevor bust just look at the stats man. Purdy is blowing everyone out of the water

If you look at just stats Jimmy G looks like one of the best quarterbacks to ever play.

Supporting context is important to consider.

Purdy has incredible supporting talent on both sides of the ball and one of the very best offensive coaches in football. No poo poo he’s producing.

If you out Lawrence in that situation then he does better than Purdy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think you're underselling Purdy's decision making and accuracy.

I think you interpreted my point backwards. If Purdy was drafted in the first round, there'd be way more fanfare about him winning every game he's played and having no turnovers this season. There wouldn't be nearly as many dismissive "yeah but he's driving a Ferrari" comments.

People would be thrilled with TLaw in the 7th but no one would place him in the Allen/Burrow/Herbert tier.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fsif posted:

I think you interpreted my point backwards. If Purdy was drafted in the first round, there'd be way more fanfare about him winning every game he's played and having no turnovers this season. There wouldn't be nearly as many dismissive "yeah but he's driving a Ferrari" comments.

People would be thrilled with TLaw in the 7th but no one would place him in the Allen/Burrow/Herbert tier.

Oh yeah I did.

Purdy is just a reminder that the most important factor for a QB's success is does he know where to throw the ball and can he reliably place it there. Everything else is secondary.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

If you look at just stats Jimmy G looks like one of the best quarterbacks to ever play.

Purdy has incredible supporting talent on both sides of the ball and one of the very best offensive coaches in football. No poo poo he’s producing.

TLaw repeatedly fails to make some of the easiest touch throws in existence and quite often makes completely boneheaded decisions. I just don't see it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I mean just compare Jimmy to Purdy then. Purdy—as a rookie and second-year player—is dramatically outperforming Garoppolo. Higher completion percentage, higher Y/A, higher TD%, lower INT%, lower sack %, etc etc.

And hey, Lance couldn't produce in this offense. I don't think things are quite as plug and play as you're making it out to be.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Remember how it was reported that Stroud asked the Texans to draft Tank Dell? I'd like to imagine how that conversation would have gone if Carolina had picked him.

"Sorry son, we need to trade up for a pass rusher no one has heard of. Owner says so"

Would have been a great start to the relationship.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Fascinating internet poll here where it's almost 50/50 on preference between Brock Purdy and Justin Fields. Purdy should be winning this in a landslide but maybe people just stick to their priors.

https://twitter.com/theStevenRuiz/status/1711805043500806259?s=20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

How would Brock do on the literal Chicago Bears

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

fsif posted:

I mean just compare Jimmy to Purdy then. Purdy—as a rookie and second-year player—is dramatically outperforming Garoppolo. Higher completion percentage, higher Y/A, higher TD%, lower INT%, lower sack %, etc etc.

And hey, Lance couldn't produce in this offense. I don't think things are quite as plug and play as you're making it out to be.

I don’t think it’s literally plug and play but I think it is about as plug and play as could plausibly exist for the nfl. It’s just a terrific situation for a qb.

I agree Purdy is probably better than Jimmy G.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

How would Brock do on the literal Chicago Bears
Worse than Brock on the Niners but probably better than Justin Fields on the Bears, because by all available evidence Brock is a better player of the quarterback position.

Nov 6, 2002

I don’t think it’s literally plug and play but I think it is about as plug and play as could plausibly exist for the nfl. It’s just a terrific situation for a qb.

I agree Purdy is probably better than Jimmy G.

Probably? lol

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Justin Fields is awful, of course Purdy is better than him

Nov 6, 2002

I dunno if Purdy could survive on the Bears though. At least Fields can do that.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Not gonna divorce purdy from his situation, or Trevor from his. Lest we forget not five weeks ago all the moron talking heads were saying the jags are a shoein for a top two spot in the conference, I don’t agree that their roster is on the same level as the 49ers but people were certainly talking about them like they are.

Purdy may be surrounded by excellent talent but so is Lawrence, even if it’s a step down. Purdy is not only not making any mistakes, he’s thriving. He’s doing things outside of what was supposed to be his wheelhouse (ie extending plays with his feet, making multiple reads, etc). If you want to say that devoid of what we’ve actually seen Trevor Lawrence is a better quarterback you can think that but I don’t agree, either with the premise or the result.

If Lawrence makes it through the rest of the season playing at the same level he has so far, the jags are competing for a division title. If purdy makes it through the rest of the season playing at this level then hes going to win MVP, and the 49ers are probably a one or two loss team at worst.

Hell you can even throw out how well he’s playing entirely. He’s inarguably more valuable just on the basis of his contract

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Not gonna divorce purdy from his situation, or Trevor from his. Lest we forget not five weeks ago all the moron talking heads were saying the jags are a shoein for a top two spot in the conference, I don’t agree that their roster is on the same level as the 49ers but people were certainly talking about them like they are.
I think the justification for putting the Jaguars as a 2 seed was less that their roster was top tier and Lawrence was elite, and more that they play in the easiest division in the conference and had the easiest division in the opposite conference on their schedule. If they just beat the teams they should beat, 13 wins wasn't out of the question.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Minshew is undefeated in games he got 4 snaps in. Truth

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Fascinating internet poll here where it's almost 50/50 on preference between Brock Purdy and Justin Fields. Purdy should be winning this in a landslide but maybe people just stick to their priors.

https://twitter.com/theStevenRuiz/status/1711805043500806259?s=20

It’s Steven Ruiz, the people who actually follow him at this point have similarly insane takes like rating Daniel Jones over Purdy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Brock Purdy dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Judge Purdy for yourself, based on the tape. This guy is a massive, shameless Niners homer, so feel free to mute it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvrv3UZ8Nqw

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think the justification for putting the Jaguars as a 2 seed was less that their roster was top tier and Lawrence was elite, and more that they play in the easiest division in the conference and had the easiest division in the opposite conference on their schedule. If they just beat the teams they should beat, 13 wins wasn't out of the question.

exactly. no one thinks the Jags are a super talented team just that they have an elite qb in a garbage division

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

exactly. no one thinks the Jags are a super talented team just that they have an elite qb in a garbage division

Etienne
Kirk
Jones
Ridley
Engram

Is one of the better skill position groups in the NFL lol.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Etienne
Kirk
Jones
Ridley
Engram

Ehh, most of those dudes are solid starters or #2s with flashes. There’s no true #1 except maybe Ridley now that he’s back but that’s still not entirely clear yet.

More importantly, that’s most of the talent on the team. The rest of the team is at best largely mediocre dudes who won’t embarrass you. There’s Josh Allen and Scherff I guess? In general there’s really no elite talent on the Jags outside of maybe TLaw.

I’m honestly shocked anyone’s taking the position that a roster put together by Baalke is in fact very talented.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Ehh, most of those dudes are solid starters or #2s with flashes. There’s no true #1 except maybe Ridley now that he’s back but that’s still not entirely clear yet.

More importantly, that’s most of the talent on the team. The rest of the team is at best largely mediocre dudes who won’t embarrass you. There’s Josh Allen and Scherff I guess? In general there’s really no elite talent on the Jags outside of maybe TLaw.

I’m honestly shocked anyone’s taking the position that a roster put together by Baalke is in fact very talented.

I'm speaking to the supporting roster for their quarterback. It's one of the better groups in the NFL. I'm not saying they're 49ers stacked top to bottom, but their group of skill position players is easily playoff calibre.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Brock Purdy dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

:emptyquote:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

BlindSite posted:

Etienne
Kirk
Jones
Ridley
Engram

I think following the Panthers has broken your brain a bit.

SF
CIN
DAL
PHI
MIA
SEA
MIN
TB
LAR
ATL

are all definitely better skill groups, and there are probably ten other teams with arguably better groups than the Jags. They aren't terrible, but they are far from top of the league.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

yea the Jags are firmly in the "yep, that's a football team" levels of talent. it's not awful but its also not anything to get psyched about

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I would be very psyched about Lawrence and Ridley

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1711733821748785232#m

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Purdy continues to get doubted, but that's normal. Things that shake up the NFL orthodoxy, like the last pick in a draft being better than the first pick in a draft, always take a few years to sink in.

Trevor has played well overall, but he doesn't have Purdy's accuracy or anticipation. He misses throws, not super frequently but enough so that you know there is real variance there. He's played like a slightly above average starter so far, which is fine but I expected more. I do not think he's the generational prospect he's been touted as his whole life basically. Still way better than the Jags have had in quite some time.

He's got the tools on his side, Purdy has the accuracy and anticipation, people can weight those as they please.

AndrewP posted:

I would be very psyched about Lawrence and Ridley

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1711733821748785232#m

The back shoulder and the touch deep ball were the only really impressive ones in here. The rest were pretty standard see it, throw it passes although they do show good arm strength of course. And I will say it looks like he played better in this game than he has for a while.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Play posted:

Trevor has played well overall, but he doesn't have Purdy's accuracy or anticipation.

I’m being gaslit I know it

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

TLaw in the second half of last season was incredible and absolutely looked elite. He hasn’t shown that yet much this year although there was some of it in the Buffalo game, but it was so impressive. So long as he can channel that again he’s firmly in the elite category for me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I can't take Brock Purdy seriously anymore since discovering he has a brother called Chubba

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I can't take Brock Purdy seriously anymore since discovering he has a brother called Chubba

Thats his secret I guess. Didn't want to be the 2nd best athlete in the family to some dude named chubba.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

*Al Michaelsishly* "Chubba Purdy"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've seen enough overthrows and dumb mistakes that I wouldn't say TLaw is elite. He's not great enough to elevate the Jags, at best he's comfortably above the Kirk Cousins line and a good franchise QB that won't lose games, which is still a pretty loving good thing to have.

I get the feeling Lawrence is the new Flacco in terms of "Is he elite?" questions for the next decade.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

sure okay posted:

*Al Michaelsishly* "Chubba Purdy"

Two chAINz

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'd like to say that noted 2nd year QB Malik Willis is dogshit garbage.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Malik was Ian Book bad which means it got to the point where i actually felt bad for him to be out there

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel bad for everyone who missed that live.

It was...a special drive to witness.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
E oops

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Kirios posted:

I'd like to say that noted 2nd year QB Malik Willis is dogshit garbage.

8. ATLANTA FALCONS: QB MALIK WILLIS, LIBERTY
I mentioned this on my show last week: It’s a bit surprising there isn’t more national buzz surrounding the Falcons taking a quarterback early. The Falcons went all-in for Deshaun Watson, traded away Matt Ryan for a third-round pick and signed Marcus Mariota to a team-friendly deal that has just $6,750,000 in total guarantees, plus Mariota has a concerning injury history.

Willis (born in Atlanta) blew teams away during the interview process and comes off as a really genuine guy. He didn't have a strong supporting cast at Liberty, but his ability and upside is easy to see. Mariota is one of the nicest people in the league and will take Willis under his wing as he makes the transition to the NFL. If the Falcons pass on a quarterback here, keep in mind they have two second-round picks and two third-round picks to try to move back into the first round (Matt Corral has also been linked to them)
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022...%20Ari%20Meirov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

EmbryoSteve posted:

8. ATLANTA FALCONS: QB MALIK WILLIS, LIBERTY
I mentioned this on my show last week: It’s a bit surprising there isn’t more national buzz surrounding the Falcons taking a quarterback early. The Falcons went all-in for Deshaun Watson, traded away Matt Ryan for a third-round pick and signed Marcus Mariota to a team-friendly deal that has just $6,750,000 in total guarantees, plus Mariota has a concerning injury history.

Willis (born in Atlanta) blew teams away during the interview process and comes off as a really genuine guy. He didn't have a strong supporting cast at Liberty, but his ability and upside is easy to see. Mariota is one of the nicest people in the league and will take Willis under his wing as he makes the transition to the NFL. If the Falcons pass on a quarterback here, keep in mind they have two second-round picks and two third-round picks to try to move back into the first round (Matt Corral has also been linked to them)
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022...%20Ari%20Meirov

I think ranking Malik as the 8th-best QB to declare for that draft is probably fair...

Wait...

Oh.

:pwn: