Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

AndrewP posted:

The Dolphins are the 49ers - the scheme is the star

I'm not looking to reopen the argument about Purdy, but I am curious as to why you don't include the Packers or Rams in this? Brevity, or because you believe they're different?

Edit: I guess you could toss Bengals and Vikings in there, too, if you're feeling adventurous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Coldforge posted:

I'm not looking to reopen the argument about Purdy, but I am curious as to why you don't include the Packers or Rams in this? Brevity, or because you believe they're different?

I mean for the Packers it’s less the scheme and more Tom Clement is insanely good at developing QBs, but is getting up there

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Matthew Stafford was good outside of LA, Packers have had multiple QBs under multiple coaches be good

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Nodoze posted:

Matthew Stafford was good outside of LA, Packers have had multiple QBs under multiple coaches be good

What does this have to do with the current Packers QB under current Packers coach???

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Nodoze posted:

I'm unsure your Packers point works, because it's a new scheme with almost entirely new personal under LaFleur. Unless it's simply the organization, being well run, makes it more likely the QBs they pick are good?

Boiling it down, then, and please tell me if this is an incorrect generalization, but you're focusing on past success as an indicator.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Coldforge posted:

I'm unsure your Packers point works, because it's a new scheme with almost entirely new personal under LaFleur. Unless it's simply the organization, being well run, makes it more likely the QBs they pick are good?

Boiling it down, then, and please tell me if this is an incorrect generalization, but you're focusing on past success as an indicator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK83pnkIyvs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTDmlYHrpA

Multiple players (current & former), coaches, and executives have publicly said JLove has everything you want in an elite QB. The scheme helps, but when a QB can easily recognize a coverage of a fake cadence, change protection, hot route out, etc, it makes for an exceptional talent.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Multiple players (current & former), coaches, and executives have publicly said JLove has everything you want in an elite QB. The scheme helps, but when a QB can easily recognize a coverage of a fake cadence, change protection, hot route out, etc, it makes for an exceptional talent.

That's a good point.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Coldforge posted:

That's a good point.

JLove had all the traits and tools (and size) you want from a QB coming out of college, but he did not throw that much and only had one excellent season. Credit to LaFleur, Gutey, and Clements for getting him ready and being patient.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It seems really weird to look at the defending champs who are in the conference championship game and think man that team sure hosed itself

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Intruder posted:

It seems really weird to look at the defending champs who are in the conference championship game and think man that team sure hosed itself

This upcoming FA & draft they are going in on replacing Mahomes entire WR corps.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Intruder posted:

It is, that post is nonsense.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

AndrewP posted:

You don’t have to pay Tua $50m a year. Really, you don’t. Put $30m on the table and if he walks, he walks.

The Dolphins are the 49ers - the scheme is the star

That's easy to say but you risk going from a playoff team to the basement if you don't have a good plan B which is what exactly?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Black Sunshine posted:

That's easy to say but you risk going from a playoff team to the basement if you don't have a good plan B which is what exactly?

I don't know, but there's also plenty of risk in giving Tua a top of the market deal and the cap consequences that come with that. The margins get tight, you can't afford all the stars and your QB has to be able to elevate a potentially ordinary group. Is Tua really that guy?

I'm not saying don't offer him nothing, but this market of "record deal or nothing" is crazy. I think Tua is worth a mid-tier QB contract.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Intruder posted:

if you get the elite QB your worst case scenario is deep playoff runs with a flawed team

personally I'm horrified at the idea of my team struggling that bad

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

when the dolphins do inevitably give Tua that big contract its important to remember the context. Green Bay is a good comparison to see the exact opposite situation, if Love had been slightly above average there wouldn't have been as much pressure to try and keep him around because you've historically had phenomenal QB play and its probably easier for the front office to be realistic and mercenary in their spending approach. the dolphins do not have that advantage. its been an absolute shitshow since marino and Tua (with McDaniel behind him pulling the strings) had led the dolphins to the playoffs two years in a row. it's definitely a factor

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I don't think there's a great answer to what you do with good but not great QB play, if you move on and don't immediately nail it with an improvement at QB, you've basically entered a voluntary rebuild where your team identity will experience a lot of turnover in the years spent in the QB wilderness with a cheaper or even more mediocre QB

and you're overwhelmingly unlikely to get lucky with some Brock Purdy budget improvement at QB (who people will also question the value of when contract time comes), so it seems like top pick or bust to even have a chance at a QB who is *good enough* for a top contract

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

AndrewP posted:

I don't know, but there's also plenty of risk in giving Tua a top of the market deal and the cap consequences that come with that. The margins get tight, you can't afford all the stars and your QB has to be able to elevate a potentially ordinary group. Is Tua really that guy?

I'm not saying don't offer him nothing, but this market of "record deal or nothing" is crazy. I think Tua is worth a mid-tier QB contract.

I agree with what you're saying , it's kind of an impossible situation. It's almost like QB salaries shouldn't count against the cap or should at least be their own separate cap numbers. It's just turbo hosed anymore and getting worse every year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The337th posted:

if you get the elite QB your worst case scenario is deep playoff runs with a flawed team

personally I'm horrified at the idea of my team struggling that bad

I hope Stroud starts some kind of health company that the Texans then invest in and he plays on a below market contract while raking in that money :v:

A Sneaker Broker posted:

This upcoming FA & draft they are going in on replacing Mahomes entire WR corps.

Maybe but they'll still have the most important part of that equation

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 28, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Intruder posted:

I hope Stroud starts some kind of health company that the Texans then invest in and he plays on a below market contract while raking in that money :v:

Maybe but they'll still have the most important part of that equation

Oh, 1000%. Mahomes until he retires, is the best QB in the NFL. By far. He is already a HoF and it isn’t close. With that being said, it is malpractice by the Chiefs FO to give him such lovely weapons. We know he can make it work, but cmon. We want to see him drop bombs to speedy WR’s who don’t have problems with catching or fumbling the football.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

JLove had all the traits and tools (and size) you want from a QB coming out of college, but he did not throw that much and only had one excellent season. Credit to LaFleur, Gutey, and Clements for getting him ready and being patient.

So combining your first post with this one, am in correct in saying that you trust the evaluation of quarterback experts, but only if the QB in question meets a certain threshold of traits and tools (and size)?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Coldforge posted:

So combining your first post with this one, am in correct in saying that you trust the evaluation of quarterback experts, but only if the QB in question meets a certain threshold of traits and tools (and size)?

I trust players more than analysts. I don't care what the size a player is. But if the dude is your stereotypical big QB with a big arm that can make all the throws, I want that over any other type.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I trust players more than analysts. I don't care what the size a player is. But if the dude is your stereotypical big QB with a big arm that can make all the throws, I want that over any other type.

Thanks for indulging me, that's excellent nuance.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

A Sneaker Broker posted:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Coldforge posted:

Edit: I guess you could toss Bengals and Vikings in there, too, if you're feeling adventurous.

I'm not sure how anyone could look at what the Vikings backups did this season and include them in the conversation

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure how anyone could look at what the Vikings backups did this season and include them in the conversation

This is cowardice.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Nodoze posted:

Stafford has always been bad.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Black Sunshine posted:

I agree with what you're saying , it's kind of an impossible situation. It's almost like QB salaries shouldn't count against the cap or should at least be their own separate cap numbers. It's just turbo hosed anymore and getting worse every year.

this would just create a situation where teams like the chiefs are unbeatable. sure it sucks to land in the middle zone with a decent qb making enough money to force cuts elsewhere, but the teams that benefit most from this kind of solution are the ones who have a genuine superstar qb

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm convinced with each dismissive comment made of Brock Purdy's ability the 49ers will win the Super Bowl. It doesn't matter if Purdy plays like poo poo, each time someone says "he isn't that good, he has an amazing surrounding cast", it powers another play where a ball flies off a defenders face mask into a receiver's hands. It is known.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

MrLogan posted:

Stafford has always been bad.

No that's Derek Carr

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm convinced with each dismissive comment made of Brock Purdy's ability the 49ers will win the Super Bowl. It doesn't matter if Purdy plays like poo poo, each time someone says "he isn't that good, he has an amazing surrounding cast", it powers another play where a ball flies off a defenders face mask into a receiver's hands. It is known.

The Brad Johnsons of the world have won Super Bowls before, they will win them again.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Nodoze posted:

No that's Derek Carr

Doesn't Carr have more MVP votes than Stafford and Russell Wilson combined?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Harlock posted:

The Brad Johnsons of the world have won Super Bowls before, they will win them again.

I get irrationally irritated at people who judge quarterbacks by their number of Super Bowl wins, because by that metric Trent Dilfer was a better quarterback than Dan Marino and I don't want to live in that world.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Harlock posted:

Eli Manning won two by getting a bunch of ridiculously improbable breaks over the course of his postseason runs!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Eli either won the superbowl or didn't win any playoff games.

His career arc is so weird and rules

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Bradshaw fumbled, Ed Hochuli I hope you never know peace

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

One more reason to hate the Broncos is that they dragged the corpse of Peyton Manning to his 2nd Superbowl win and ruined the comedy of the lesser brother having more SB wins.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Black Sunshine posted:

One more reason to hate the Broncos is that they dragged the corpse of Peyton Manning to his 2nd Superbowl win and ruined the comedy of the lesser brother having more SB wins.

Another reason to hate the broncos is that cowboys ride horsies and gently caress the Cowboys.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Nervous posted:

Another reason to hate the broncos is that cowboys ride horsies and gently caress the Cowboys.

Amen brother

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Chargers are technically horsies so I can’t fully get behind gently caress-all-horse-related teams, but gently caress the broncos, and gently caress the cowboys too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

cowboys are honestly the enemy of horses. they weren't pals like those movies and such try to claim. they would hurt the horses a little bit hundreds of times per day and not take great care of them. just enough to do their job. go cowboys