Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stix9501
Apr 29, 2020

BlindSite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJCp_CrZQhI&ab_channel=TheQBSchool

Good Ep on the dolphins game this week and JT kinda confirms what jumped out for me anyway. The offensive line play not really up to snuff, but the anticipation and trust from Bryce with his receivers has improved. There are some not great things starting to creep in that come just from getting hit too much. Throwing a touch early, being a tad twitchy but he's still hanging in there when needed and eating a shot and he's still almost reminding himself in play to let things come to him, its interesting to see.

I hope the change in play caller sees some change because more than once JT points out a play thats "old football" at one point he said, this play is so old its like watching jurassic park, which - ooof. There's also several occasions where he says "this isn't on Bryce - it's scheme and points out there's no hot read, or no receiver breaking when they should be under pressure etc.

But there's some great throws over guys and around guys and in tight windows.

Man needs some help post 2500.

I think its time to start shifting some blame onto Reich. This is the NFL baby! You gotta innovate, and dinosaurs must be turned into oil. The trends are bad, we haven't looked competitive. Ugh. I've seen all the QB school vids and I think the only reasonable takeaway is "the Panthers O-line and receivers fuckin suck". Now how you deal with that as a coach is tough. I'm at the panicky, "someone do something!", stage of watching this season. Hoping Reich can figure out Bryce's strengths and make some magic happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Stroud supremacy

:hmmyes:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Stix9501 posted:

I think its time to start shifting some blame onto Reich. This is the NFL baby! You gotta innovate, and dinosaurs must be turned into oil. The trends are bad, we haven't looked competitive. Ugh. I've seen all the QB school vids and I think the only reasonable takeaway is "the Panthers O-line and receivers fuckin suck". Now how you deal with that as a coach is tough. I'm at the panicky, "someone do something!", stage of watching this season. Hoping Reich can figure out Bryce's strengths and make some magic happen.

TBH I think the only stretch that matters is the post Bye winnable games. The schedule eases up a tad, there will be a new play caller (and they're insisting it was always the plan) and we get three games in a row - at least on paper the panthers should be right in. I don't expect a post bye season turn around, but I want to see the team at least win or be right there in games they should be.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Time to add Tyson Bagent to the rookies of note list

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

Time to add Tyson Bagent to the rookies of note list

Done and done

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Per the rapaport brothers William “Billy Jeans” Levis will be starting Sunday so another one to throw onto the fire of this thread.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The thread demands youthful sacrifices.

Billy Mayo has been added to the list.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
He ruled.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm p glad the Ravens dodged Levis by a few weeks

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Some people just like to watch the world burn.

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1718750878423716199?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
He was pretty good. The Giants d-line was crushing the Jets o-line all day too

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Beginning to regret my Purdy take.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Doltos posted:

He was pretty good. The Giants d-line was crushing the Jets o-line all day too
It was a bloodbath along the line.

https://twitter.com/zackblatt/status/1718764266319139304?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

fsif posted:

Beginning to regret my Purdy take.

I still think he's pretty good but I figure this will be a pretty lonely island for the next couple weeks at least

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Purdy has been very good up until the last few weeks but I mean. 2nd year players having a slight rough patch isn't where I'd write the guy off.

I think he probably needs to respond fairly quickly though or the 9ers will start wondering if Darnold is worth exploring.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it should be fine to keep pumping him up as the best young qb by far or calling him a fraud either way. when it comes after 10 games or 15 games it's the same thing

today purdy didn't miss on much of anything but when he did it was extremely costly. he and aiyuk carved up cincinnati's secondary and made it look like nobody was out there with a lot of those routes.. he made a couple of great throws and one of his worst throws wasn't as bad as it seemed because it was a fantastic defensive play that took advantage of his sharp vision and faked him into an interception. he looked very dumb on 1 or 2 plays but it was things that are more rare to happen and you need experience with stuff like that. he isn't going to gently lob a ball into a defender's hands near the goalline again, etc. couple of dropped balls. with people looking at numbers on a website it could have easily looked like he had a great game today instead of an awful one but it didn't fall that way. high variance

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 30, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A positive stat for young, bit of a negative for the rest of the team but:

22 for 31 for 235 yards and one TD while pressured on 40% of drop backs and the running game producing 44 yards.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Cavauro posted:

it should be fine to keep pumping him up as the best young qb by far or calling him a fraud either way. when it comes after 10 games or 15 games it's the same thing

today purdy didn't miss on much of anything but when he did it was extremely costly. he and aiyuk carved up cincinnati's secondary and made it look like nobody was out there with a lot of those routes.. he made a couple of great throws and one of his worst throws wasn't as bad as it seemed because it was a fantastic defensive play that took advantage of his sharp vision and faked him into an interception. he looked very dumb on 1 or 2 plays but it was things that are more rare to happen and you need experience with stuff like that. he isn't going to gently lob a ball into a defender's hands near the goalline again, etc. couple of dropped balls. with people looking at numbers on a website it could have easily looked like he had a great game today instead of an awful one but it didn't fall that way. high variance

Yeah, that's how I feel, really both this week and last (vs CLE was just ugly). The mistakes were very costly but came in the context of ruining otherwise very sharp games. And in the long run, of course his outlook will depend on not ruining very sharp games with extremely dumb errors, but when you've got like a dozen pretty good starts and then you have a couple bad games that are 95% very good, you do not yet deserve to be beheaded in favor of Sam Darnold. He has acute gunslinger tendencies so I don't think there's any guarantee he doesn't dumbass INT his way to the bench eventually, but at the moment that there is even any discussion about this seems like a huge overreaction because we Niners fans are edgy about how poo poo they are right now.

Everyone else, of course, probably got sick of this guy like ten months ago and I'd be posting Brock Turdy too

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I have made a tier list based on how I think teams feel about their QB. This is their projected Week 1 starting QB, not who is there now.

Top row is fairly self-explainatory. Maybe you could argue Lawrence since he's outside of the Top 10 but they're winning in a weak division.

Second row requires a bit more. Yeah, Tua's playing real well and Miami's rolling for the most part, but I think there's always going to be that "What happens the next time Tua gets hurt/concussed" in the back of Miami's head. If Miami makes a deep run they'll have to pay him, but I don't know if they can truly give Tua what he's worth, and I can see Tua turning down a below-market offer and going into his fifth year and then getting obliterated. Dak's got three year's left but the last two auto-void, meaning he's really up after '24. Normally this would mean a restructure and extension, but it's Jerry Jones and he did trade for Trey Lance so he might be up to something. If Dallas gets bounced early maybe he dumps Dak and McCarthy. The shine has come off of Purdy a little in these past two weeks. I don't think it's full cause for alarm yet but it's worth keeping an eye on, especially since he's so cheap to replace. Geno's doing fine, the question is if Seattle finds an offer where they can do better.

Third row are all guys who are getting paid lots of money and their teams can't get rid of them without not being able to field a team next season. Russ still can't cook, Watson's a strong case in karmic justice, Jones was a mirage, and Derek Carr is just league average. Now, this does lead into the next row...

Fourth row is where Kyler is for now, if he was healthy he'd be in the third row. Richardson might be a bust by injury instead of a bust by talent. I'll believe that 40 year old men can return from Achilles ruptures when it happens and not a moment before.

Fifth is for Bryce and CJ, it's still early and their teams are bad, real bad in the case of Carolina and looking less bad in the case of Houston. Still, unlike Indy and Richardson there's potential here if both can develop and not be murdered, especially Bryce.

Sixth row, if the Bears end up with number one and another top five pick, I think they have to give up on Fields and take a QB, even if the shine is coming off of Caleb Williams. Titans are done with Tannehill, question is if either if the Day 2 QBs they've taken the past two seasons are worth investing in. Baker's been ok and he feels like a Geno Smith situation; you can invest in him on the cheap and if someone better comes along/he falls apart, it's an easy contract to get out of.

Seventh row, Ridder is a bum, Jimmy's gotta stop having people believe in him at some point. Stafford should be in the third row given his contract, but I get the feeling that he might be looking at hanging it up, which is why he lands down towards this bottom row. 100m is a lot of walk away from, but he might be interested in walking while he still can.

Last row, Jordan Love ain't it. Howell is the latest UNC QB to be trash, a mantle he'll pass onto Drake Maye next season. Pickett was a nice story that's now ended. Pats might be making wholesale organizational changes and who knows how that'll end up.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I like that list. Only change that I'd make would be to move Pittsburgh to the "Could" tier, since I'm not convinced they'll move on from Pickett unless they end up in a position to get a QB they like

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Not for nothing but Sam Howell is quietly playing pretty well. Falcons and Eagles both have top ten defenses and he combined for 7TDs 1 INt at like a 70% completion rate. He might end up sticking.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I’d probably move Dak to the first row, Goff and Stafford to the second. And Falcons appear to be over Ridder

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Bears are in "Well, if we never broke him" camp. And having a pick means we can break the next one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I doubt the Packers dump love unless they get a top pick and can gamble on the top prospects

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Dutchy posted:

Yeah, that's how I feel, really both this week and last (vs CLE was just ugly). The mistakes were very costly but came in the context of ruining otherwise very sharp games. And in the long run, of course his outlook will depend on not ruining very sharp games with extremely dumb errors, but when you've got like a dozen pretty good starts and then you have a couple bad games that are 95% very good, you do not yet deserve to be beheaded in favor of Sam Darnold. He has acute gunslinger tendencies so I don't think there's any guarantee he doesn't dumbass INT his way to the bench eventually, but at the moment that there is even any discussion about this seems like a huge overreaction because we Niners fans are edgy about how poo poo they are right now.

Everyone else, of course, probably got sick of this guy like ten months ago and I'd be posting Brock Turdy too

He's definitely a gunslinger and that's probably always going to mean he has a few games where he just buries you with interceptions, but the couple of really bad ones lately seem like they were due to having his brain busted. hopefully he descrambles over the bye and they stop trying to play him when he has recently suffered a concussion going forward

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
It's 2023 and there are still people who think Dak or Stafford are good. What in the world.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I dunno if the seahawks are but they definitely SHOULD be looking at drafting the QBOTF after the last 3 weeks of geno

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Will levis

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

I doubt the Packers dump love unless they get a top pick and can gamble on the top prospects

i mean if things keeping going the same way that's absolutely what's going to happen. they're in line for a top 5 pick right now

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Relentlessboredomm posted:

i mean if things keeping going the same way that's absolutely what's going to happen. they're in line for a top 5 pick right now

They still get to play the Bears, Giants, Cousinless Vikings, and Panthers. They’re a bad team but I can’t seem them failing to win two or three more with that schedule, and that probably doesn’t get them Maye or Williams.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DeimosRising posted:

He's definitely a gunslinger and that's probably always going to mean he has a few games where he just buries you with interceptions, but the couple of really bad ones lately seem like they were due to having his brain busted. hopefully he descrambles over the bye and they stop trying to play him when he has recently suffered a concussion going forward

Yeah, that absolute duck he threw up that Kittle somehow got under and caught was a major WTF moment.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

B. Young QB School is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKocbE78xDc

Some new wrinkles with the new offensive caller. Pretty much exactly as you'd expect. Lots of good from Bryce, a few real bad from the offensive line and a receiver core that just isn't good enough. At least Bryce didnt show the bad habits he did last week where he had some yips.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 2, 2023

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

BlindSite posted:

B. Young QB School is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKocbE78xDc

Some new wrinkles with the new offensive caller. Pretty much exactly as you'd expect. Lots of good from Bryce, a few real bad from the offensive line and a receiver core that just isn't good enough. At least Bryce didnt show the bad habits he did last week where he had some yips.

JT just bagging on Thielen's lack of speed is a good running bit (the LA Fitness comment almost had me crying), but he made sure to give him lots of props for the catches.

The lack of creativity in offense is still very apparent, and (like JT said) it really magnifies the deficiencies in talent on offense. They need to find some way to work around the lack of speed in the WR corps (or buy DJ Chark some stickum).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ozymandius1024 posted:

JT just bagging on Thielen's lack of speed is a good running bit (the LA Fitness comment almost had me crying), but he made sure to give him lots of props for the catches.

The lack of creativity in offense is still very apparent, and (like JT said) it really magnifies the deficiencies in talent on offense. They need to find some way to work around the lack of speed in the WR corps (or buy DJ Chark some stickum).

Gotta use your hands to catch for Stickum to be effective.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

ozymandius1024 posted:

At least they'll be able to take MHJ with their high draft pick

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Black Lighter posted:

At least they'll be able to take MHJ with their high draft pick

Rude :mad:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

At least in a pretty strong receiver class there could be someone around when we get our first pick and there's three or four legit guys hitting free agency.

Gonna suck for the last 8 games but at least they've hit well on Bryce. All the tools except size are there and evident.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Bryce Young is bad

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BrownThunder posted:

Bryce Young is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos