Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Intruder posted:

"If he stays healthy" I say about my QB who couldn't stay healthy in college despite being the size of a linebacker and got hurt twice in less than three games

People buy lottery tickets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

DeimosRising posted:

People buy lottery tickets

I've got a winner this time, I just feel it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
FUN FACT I picked up somewhere or another today:

Sunday's DET v SF game features the #1 overall pick versus the last overall pick with the starters at QB, Goff v Purdy

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

drat. i love that

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

BiggerBoat posted:

FUN FACT I picked up somewhere or another today:

Sunday's DET v SF game features the #1 overall pick versus the last overall pick with the starters at QB, Goff v Purdy

Surely this must have happened before unless something about a playoff game is missing in the statement. Fake edit, just looked at this year’s schedule: Murray and Stanford are in the same division, they played Mayfield, Lawrence, and Burrow this year. That covers the first round picks for 2009, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 and I did not look at the last 3rd of last season when Purdy took over. The last pick starting QB is the hard part of that pairing to find, first round picks are a dime a dozen.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Pain of Mind posted:

Surely this must have happened before unless something about a playoff game is missing in the statement. Fake edit, just looked at this year’s schedule: Murray and Stanford are in the same division, they played Mayfield, Lawrence, and Burrow this year. That covers the first round picks for 2009, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 and I did not look at the last 3rd of last season when Purdy took over. The last pick starting QB is the hard part of that pairing to find, first round picks are a dime a dozen.

I think maybe you misread the fun fact?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

QB's: 1st overall pick vs last overall pick starting in an NFL game

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Intruder posted:

"If he stays healthy" I say about my QB who couldn't stay healthy in college despite being the size of a linebacker and got hurt twice in less than three games

Do you think Car would swap for Richardson straight up at this point?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Do you think Car would swap for Richardson straight up at this point?

In a heartbeat.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Coldforge posted:

I think maybe you misread the fun fact?

BiggerBoat posted:

QB's: 1st overall pick vs last overall pick starting in an NFL game

I must have read it incorrectly, but my brain is still not parsing the statement correctly, even with bolded words.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

I must have read it incorrectly, but my brain is still not parsing the statement correctly, even with bolded words.

Jared Goff was selected with the very first pick in the draft, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Papercut posted:

Jared Goff was selected with the very first pick in the draft, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year.

And they face each other Sunday as starting quarterbacks.

Sorry if I worded it poorly.

Secondary thought: who do you take if you're building a team? I was never real high on Goff and both he and Purdy are kind of "system" QB's that seem to need everything set up really well rather than carrying an offense. I think I'd take Brock Purdy straight up.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

BiggerBoat posted:

And they face each other Sunday as starting quarterbacks.

Sorry if I worded it poorly.

Secondary thought: who do you take if you're building a team? I was never real high on Goff and both he and Purdy are kind of "system" QB's that seem to need everything set up really well rather than carrying an offense. I think I'd take Brock Purdy straight up.

I think the only reason to take Purdy is contract considerations. Goff's shown twice that you can build a legitimate contender around him, despite his flaws, and there's still serious questions about what Purdy would even be if you took away this precise system and a roster of all-pros helping him out.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Papercut posted:

That is how I interpreted "overall" as well, but what is confusing me is that that statement true is for the examples I gave as well, but I must be interpreting the statement incorrectly since everyone is telling me so (without any playoff qualifiers).

Matt Stafford was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 9/17/23.
Joe Burrow was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 10/29/23.
Trevor Lawrence was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 11/12/23.
Baker Mayfield was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 11/19/23.
Kyler Murray was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 12/17/23.

It literally happened 3 games in a row earlier this year, so I was originally just trying to see where the novelty of that happening this game is (outside of Lions in the championship game). The hard part is getting a last overall pick who plays multiple games/seasons, after that every game is breaking some record because there have been 6 Mr. Irrelevant QBs in the Superbowl Era, and he is the only one that has actually played as far as I can tell without doing any research on the other 5, though I guess Chad Kelly took a knee once.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

That’s a good post, path of mind

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

That is how I interpreted "overall" as well, but what is confusing me is that that statement true is for the examples I gave as well, but I must be interpreting the statement incorrectly since everyone is telling me so (without any playoff qualifiers).

Matt Stafford was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 9/17/23.
Joe Burrow was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 10/29/23.
Trevor Lawrence was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 11/12/23.
Baker Mayfield was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 11/19/23.
Kyler Murray was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 12/17/23.

It literally happened 3 games in a row earlier this year, so I was originally just trying to see where the novelty of that happening this game is (outside of Lions in the championship game). The hard part is getting a last overall pick who plays multiple games/seasons, after that every game is breaking some record because there have been 6 Mr. Irrelevant QBs in the Superbowl Era, and he is the only one that has actually played as far as I can tell without doing any research on the other 5, though I guess Chad Kelly took a knee once.

I assume OP meant playoffs

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pain of Mind posted:

The novelty is it happening in the conference championship game of all places. Purdy is basically the only Mr. Irrelevant who has ever actually been Relevant.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Pain of Mind posted:

You’ve got it, but it’s a Fun Fact, not a This Has Never Happened Before fact.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

My fun fact is that Tom Brady is a dirty child kissing cheater

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My fun fact is that Tom Brady is a dirty child kissing cheater

This is not actually fun, though it is a fact.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

The novelty is it happening in the conference championship game of all places. Purdy is basically the only Mr. Irrelevant who has ever actually been Relevant.

Yeah, the next closest guy is probably... Ryan Succop?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I have decided my take on Purdy, which is that his value-per-dollar is off the loving charts and that’s what matters way more than “is he an elite quarterback”

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It's a fair consideration. You're getting a majority of the production of a true elite QB for a tiny fraction of the price.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is Ryan Succop erasure and I will not stand for it!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I have decided my take on Purdy, which is that his value-per-dollar is off the loving charts and that’s what matters way more than “is he an elite quarterback”

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It's a fair consideration. You're getting a majority of the production of a true elite QB for a tiny fraction of the price.

It's why the window for the 49ers is really this and next season, before he's extension eligible and you're having to pay him 40m a season and his value is gone.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Very much in favor of transforming MVP into a backhanded compliment award, given to the league's most underpaid player.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

C. Everett Koop posted:

It's why the window for the 49ers is really this and next season, before he's extension eligible and you're having to pay him 40m a season and his value is gone.

The window for the 49ers is open for as long as they have Shanahan.

They made deep playoff runs with Jimmy G at quarterback.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

C. Everett Koop posted:

$40m is Daniel Jones money right now. he’s gonna get a lot more than that so long as his level of play stays approximately the same

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

The window for the 49ers is open for as long as they have Shanahan.

They made deep playoff runs with Jimmy G at quarterback.

Yeah its this.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Imagining shanahan starting a quote like burrow’s swag of “the championship window is open as long as I’m here” and then quickly transitioning to “but I may be dead tomorrow; we all may be dead tomorrow.”

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Shanahan is the reason the 49ers offense goes VROOM VROOM.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thing is, we know what Shanahan thinks about his superbowl chances with a mid-QB and it's desperately try and trade 3 first round picks to avoid it.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Black Lighter posted:

I think the only reason to take Purdy is contract considerations. Goff's shown twice that you can build a legitimate contender around him, despite his flaws, and there's still serious questions about what Purdy would even be if you took away this precise system and a roster of all-pros helping him out.

Jared Goff has Ben Johnson calling plays for him and Amon-Ra St. Brown, Sam LaPorta, and Jahmyr Gibbs to carry the load on offense. Let's not pretend he isn't getting help from his supporting cast as well.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

Jared Goff has Ben Johnson calling plays for him and Amon-Ra St. Brown, Sam LaPorta, and Jahmyr Gibbs to carry the load on offense. Let's not pretend he isn't getting help from his supporting cast as well.

Great supporting cast no doubt but tbh.

Samuel
Aiyuk
CMC
Kittle

Might be the best supporting cast like... ever.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kalli posted:

Thing is, we know what Shanahan thinks about his superbowl chances with a mid-QB and it's desperately try and trade 3 first round picks to avoid it.

How much of that was a mid QB, and how much of that was Jimmy G was hurt for a significant portion of his tenure? Trey Lance was a stupid gamble he made but I don't know how much of it was on the fact that they had a mid level QB vs they had Jimmy G

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Depending on who you believe, Shanahan wanted Mac Jones and not Lance. Considering his love of Kirk Cousins that isn't really that hard to believe

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I would not be comfortable with Goff trying to play behind the Niners offensive line

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Jimmy G was injured... and very mid.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

He was desperately trying to trade 3 first round picks for Mac Jones.

And even after effectively throwing away three first rounders his team is still, once again, contending with a mid-qb.

Significant reasons that Shanahan hasn’t won a SB in his niners tenure are things beyond his control, injury luck, random bounces of the ball, the inevitability of Mahomes, etc.

E: 28-3 tho

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He was desperately trying to trade 3 first round picks for Mac Jones.

And even after effectively throwing away three first rounders his team is still, once again, contending with a mid-qb.

Yeah, which is why he was reportedly trying to lure Brady out of retirement this offseason.

Dude has a system that can win with middling QB's and really doesn't want to be doing that.