Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Purdy is solid as gently caress. His decision making, anticipation, and timing is winning games. Here's a breakdown of last week's play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58J5uOc_FWA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Judge Purdy for yourself, based on the tape. This guy is a massive, shameless Niners homer, so feel free to mute it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvrv3UZ8Nqw

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

He's definitely a gunslinger and that's probably always going to mean he has a few games where he just buries you with interceptions, but the couple of really bad ones lately seem like they were due to having his brain busted. hopefully he descrambles over the bye and they stop trying to play him when he has recently suffered a concussion going forward

Yeah, that absolute duck he threw up that Kittle somehow got under and caught was a major WTF moment.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cavauro posted:

i almost made a post about peoples-jones team also. mine was out of malice. i hate daltos and want him to look like the biggest fool out there

Most of TFF has good news for you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Even against the Browns, Purdy put us in a position to win. Yesterday was just rock solid, except for that one TD of course. He gets away with a lot of questionable decisions. The thing is, when, say, Mahomes does stuff like that he isn't questioned. Purdy will get there as he builds his reputation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dutchy posted:

At least online, a very loud chunk think that's what he is, despite presumably watching both of them play.

I got a good look at the rookie QB the Raiders benched Jimmy for last night. I don't think Jimmy, at least this year's version, gets the Raiders many more points, if any.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Black Lighter posted:

Don't worry, no matter how bad things get you can always hope for Atlanta to be worse

As a 49ers fan, this will always be my defining "WTF Falcons, WT Actual gently caress?" moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBG-XEjDrS8

#35 is All-Pro safety Eric Reid. He has a free run at Matt Ryan at the snap. The Falcon's were somehow okay with this. Ryan will not have time to make a second read, or even a proper first read. He knows who he's throwing the ball to before the snap. So does the defense.

Note that Bowman's catch could be used as a "you catch the ball with your eyes" teaching aid at any level of the sport. That's textbook perfect looking the ball into your hands.

Go Niners!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Brock <checks notes...> has wepons!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

Alex Smith was pretty awful early on

Which turned out to be a coaching issue. As soon as he was playing for a competent, let alone good coach he was a very good QB. His stats and win/loss rate speak for themselves.

MrLogan posted:

Brock looked awful when the best player on the Niners was out (Trent Williams).

Brock was concussed at some point in the Vikings game and was only cleared to play against the Bengals the day before the game. Based on how he performed against the Bengals, he was cleared too soon. The heart of what makes Purdy special is decision making and timing, he was obviously not at 100% in that game.

If Purdy wins MVP, it's definitely an MVQB situation. He deserves that award by the numbers and win-rate when things are fully in his hands. CMC has improved the 49ers' scoring average by a TD per game since he came to SF. Mitchell and Mason are very good RBs who would be starting on a lot of teams, but we wouldn't be scoring the way we do without CMC.

tl;dr Give it to CMC, but I won't bitch if Purdy gets it. Any way you slice it, the MVP this year is wearing red and gold.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 14, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MrLogan posted:

Niners fell apart when Trent Williams was out. Trent Williams is the best player on that team.

Purdy was concussed for two of those games.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Coldforge posted:

throw a deep pass to the boundary,
see an inside linebacker.

Purdy is a huge upgrade for both these reasons. He can hit deep throws outside the numbers, and his ability to read key defensive players is extremely high. The Niners' passing game almost immediately became much more aggressive down the field when Purdy took over. He's also better at off-schedule plays where he has to escape a collapsing pocket than most QBs.

Here's some highlights. You'll have to watch a more detailed breakdown for examples of how he reads defenses, but he does so at a very high level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgKdoVKLapM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Brock Purdy was almost undrafted, which makes him that much more impressive.

The story I heard is that Lynch and Shanahan were talking about bringing him on as a UDFA, and one of them asked if they were sure they could get him to come try out. So they just said fuckit and drafted him. I'm going to say that however they decided to pick him up, this makes up for the Trey Lance misstep.