Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Remember how it was reported that Stroud asked the Texans to draft Tank Dell? I'd like to imagine how that conversation would have gone if Carolina had picked him.

"Sorry son, we need to trade up for a pass rusher no one has heard of. Owner says so"

Would have been a great start to the relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Alaois posted:

maybe Bryce came down with hardcore clinical depression because he just looks like he does not want to be playing football at any point

he sees what everyone else does

well, as long as no one 5'11 is in the way

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

How am I so sad and so ambivalent at the same time.

Edit: not the nfcs thread. Whatever, applies here too

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 10, 2023

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

On Pardon the Interruption a few days ago, Wilbon and Kornheiser posed the question of if it was fair to compare Bryce Young and CJ Stroud, given their situations.

They both said yes, and pointed out that Young was seemingly in a better situation than Stroud before the season started.

while i would generally agree with the overall point, "the panthers were overrated to begin the season" doesn't seem like a particularly relevant argument.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I was reading an article about the Raiders new rookie QB and I came upon a little tidbit about our boy Bryce

quarterback trainer Jeff Christensen posted:

Coming up to the line of scrimmage, one of the most impressive things is that [O’Connell] has been able to shift protections. That is such a key,” Fitz said.

“To use an example of another quarterback, coming into the draft I was told by some people that know college football and cover the Alabama program that Bryce Young’s biggest issue was not anything physical, but he wasn’t great at figuring out how to shift protection for his offensive line. He needed to work on that. What we’ve seen this year is he gets sacked all the time. That’s a progression for a young quarterback.”

Source: https://www.raidersbeat.com/respected-qb-coach-once-said-aidan-oconnell-is-the-most-accurate-quarterback-he-has-ever-coached/

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Black Lighter posted:

Don't worry, no matter how bad things get you can always hope for Atlanta to be worse

Can you? I don't think it's an understatement to say this is the most extraordinary failure I've ever seen a football franchise experience. There are safeguards set in place to prevent teams from screwing themselves this hard but the Panthers found a way regardless.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

you know how i know we've failed? do you know how i know this is rock bottom?

no one clowns on bryce. no one anywhere. nfl stars, even players from opposing teams, don't talk poo poo at all about him. Every time a player tweets or posts or talks at all about bryce young it always has the tone of "well gosh lil buddy, just keep your chin up and work hard and before you know it your dreams will come true." That is not how you talk about someone you respect as a player in the league. You talk about how you beat the poo poo out of them, how they couldn't get it done, you hosed their wife, whatever. Meanwhile these guys are talking to Bryce like he's a loving 9 year old whose parents got divorced. They're like a roomful of adults looking around afraid to be the one to say that maybe, just maybe, MAYBE Mom and Dad could have stayed together if you hadn't strained their relationship by being an annoying little poo poo. It is very possible that Bryce Young can't play football professionally due to size/physical limitations and that Frank Reich's playcalling and scheme are wet doodoo rear end.

bryce young is basically the nfl's make a wish kid.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

He's just

So loving bad

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

zimbomonkey posted:

you know how i know we've failed? do you know how i know this is rock bottom?

no one clowns on bryce. no one anywhere. nfl stars, even players from opposing teams, don't talk poo poo at all about him. Every time a player tweets or posts or talks at all about bryce young it always has the tone of "well gosh lil buddy, just keep your chin up and work hard and before you know it your dreams will come true." That is not how you talk about someone you respect as a player in the league. You talk about how you beat the poo poo out of them, how they couldn't get it done, you hosed their wife, whatever. Meanwhile these guys are talking to Bryce like he's a loving 9 year old whose parents got divorced. They're like a roomful of adults looking around afraid to be the one to say that maybe, just maybe, MAYBE Mom and Dad could have stayed together if you hadn't strained their relationship by being an annoying little poo poo. It is very possible that Bryce Young can't play football professionally due to size/physical limitations and that Frank Reich's playcalling and scheme are wet doodoo rear end.

bryce young is basically the nfl's make a wish kid.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/10/nfl-fans-felt-bad-bryce-young-panthers-saints

This poo poo again. Poor ol Bryce, thought of throwing and died.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Finally Bryce has been allowed to succeed.

(Success is no touchdowns)

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

What

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I remember Dalton being pretty good his first couple of seasons

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Black Lighter posted:

The Biggest Lil' Guy Award

The "Aw Shucks, Look At Him Go" Award presented by Purina Puppy Chow.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 21, 2023

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Honestly I was going to find a video of a dog in a wheelchair to show that he can in fact do it on his own but I started going down a rabbit hole of disabled dogs and now my feels are sad

A dog might be able to do it on his own but Bryce needs an All-Pro receiving core, offensive line and coaching staff and it's really unfair of you to judge him until he has all of that.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Yeah he avoids making them after really poo poo weeks so we haven't seen a Bryce video for a while.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

So far Bryce has air mailed both of his third down passes to open receivers.

I guess they needed to get more open

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Plays great in the Midwest. Great college QB name for the big 10 or maybe the Big 12, but I don't want to see him in the NFL.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Eh, it's one of those things. There's a bunch of things that looked better the last couple weeks. Pretty much all of it went out the window today. TBH it doesn't really matter anyway, we're a week away from another house cleaning and another coaching staff search and probably front office changes.

Franchise is hosed and Bryce has no chance anyway.

Welp I think that's the last holdout on the misery train. Anyone else ride or die for Bryce or can we just call this whole thing a whoopsie?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

who cares what it looks like? if you think he's cooked you trade him, if you think he's good you keep him. that last paragraph is a hair away from a sunk cost fallacy. his skill is not determined by what we gave up for him and the value of keeping him is not affected by what others will think if we let him go. If someone else wants to make that mistake, let them.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

My point is there's 0 upside to cutting him right now or trading him for a 2nd day pick.

The upside is that the pick that you now have from trading a bad player could potentially turn into a good player. That is the upside to all draft picks.

quote:

There's only upside to keeping him around.
Also the way these things look do matter. Do you want to be the team that first round picks refuse to play for?

This is an insane thought. "Better torpedo my burgeoning NFL career because the team that drafted me cut a bad player."

quote:

or the one that can't attract a free agent without having to throw out the curve contract wise?
Where do you think we are right now?

quote:

Where the only person we can get that will coach the team is a wide receiver coach we poach from obscurity?

If there's one thing big name coaches love, it's being told they can't trade away a bad player because the last regime bet the farm on him and lost.

quote:

That's where the franchise is headed at the moment.

Yes, with Bryce as the qb. That is not a coincidence.

quote:

Why would you care if we lose 12 games with Dalton instead of 14 with Bryce?

I... Don't? I just would take any value for what I see as a worthless asset.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

The situation is that Bryce lacks the physical ability to consistently play in the NFL at a high level. He doesn't have great arm strength and isn't tall enough to see over the line without standing on his toes which means he's always choosing between visibility and mechanics. You can see that his mechanics are all over the place and that a lot of throws are affected by it. Nothing that you said fixes that problem because none of it makes defensive lines shorter or Bryce taller.

People are always talking about how Bryce has great anticipation and that's fine, the problem is that it would need to be drat near clairvoyant to make up for his very obvious physical deficiencies when it comes to height alone. And again, that's not even addressing the poor arm strength and deep accuracy that results from it.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

it was all right there for anyone with eyes to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

There was, and seemingly remains, a serious person (only one, ever on Earth, but still) who believes Bryce Young will be a good NFL quarterback for the literal Carolina Panthers

I'm not one of either, but I can at least think a merciful act of a conceivably-existing God is more likely (.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 vs 0) than a grown adult growing 6 more inches, in addition to unlearning and then relearning literally everything, in 4 months

That's interesting because Bryce is the reason I know for a fact that God doesn't love me.