Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Would you take Young over Caleb Williams+DJ Moore?

Hell make it even easier - would you take Young over Stroud?

It's a potential double whammy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'd like to say that noted 2nd year QB Malik Willis is dogshit garbage.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel bad for everyone who missed that live.

It was...a special drive to witness.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

BlindSite you may not wanna watch the QB School this week.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I give Fiz a ton of respect for being retrospective enough to analyze Bryce instead of drinking the 1-1 QB kool-aid.

I'd love to have Slowik for another year, but the Panthers would be idiotic to not look at him seriously for next year. Bryce is a solvable situation - Tua looked terrible in year 1 (honestly, he looked pretty similar to this) so you can point him in the right direction, but if you commit to Frank another year you're probably going to have a massive bust on your hands.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It is kind of heartbreaking to see the frustration in your words BlindSite. I looked over the old draft posts this year and you were legit pumped heading out of there.

It’s a poo poo situation, and I hope it vastly improves in the offseason (let’s be real, the Panthers are stuck being a bad team this year).

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's really odd to see other franchises labeled worse than the Texans when they were the absolute laughing stock of the league (on and off the field) for like four years.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man I’m starting to worry about Bryce. That was two straight awful games from him.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That hesitation kills QBs in the NFL. He has to immediately stop doing that or he's not gonna be the guy.

So what if you get picked off from time to time. It's already a lost season. You have to learn that timing - it's probably the most important thing for a NFL quarterback.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Panthers offense is very bad, yes, but after watching both of them for multiple games now you can clearly see Stroud and Young are different tiers of quarterbacks.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If 49ers fans still think Purdy isn't the guy then they deserve to have a Jimmy G level QB forever.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

He gets too much flak because he looks like A Guy and was taken in the seventh round.

But... Yeah, he's a borderline Top 10 QB already. He gets way, way too much hate.

He's no Tom Brady and probably never will be, but he's easily the best late round QB since Tom. I rate him higher than someone like Dak.

I've said this quite a few times, but being able to accurately anticipate coverages and throw in that narrow gap is the most important, and hardest, thing for a NFL QB. Stroud has it, Purdy has it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Worst trade in nfl history was originaly a three team trade that would have got Texans to 1, Carolina to 2 and Chicago to 9.

It wasn’t happening right away so tepper just stomped his feet and told fitterer to make it happen.

https://x.com/avl_mike/status/1724772224631017866?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Why in the name of god would you admit that

Maybe I should give Caserio more credit - sounds like he talked Cal out of it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm honestly not a big fan of Caleb Williams either. If anything I'd say JJ McCarthy is the one that looks like he translates best to the NFL. I don't buy into this QB class being extra special or anything.

I completely agree that the bust potential of Maye is very high.

Edit: I like Penix Jr. as well.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shadeur Sanders is, uh…extremely not ready for NFL action. He’s a hell of a prospect, sure, but I think the correct action to take is to stay in CFB for another year, continue to improve, and be a sure fire #1 pick in the 2025 draft. There will be way less competition that year.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If they continue at this trajectory it's going to be an all time level bust.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I seriously don't understand why people think he's just a system QB or that he's nothing special.

Trey Lance wasn't even that horrible - Purdy's just that good.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

oh my god panthers fans were given such a bill of goods with tepper and young.

Tepper and/or his wife 100% overruled the coaching staff with Young. Just listen to the man talk about him.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

There is no hope for people if they don't watch Purdy play and realize he is a Top 5 quarterback. Yes, his team is great, but he is a huge reason why.

I swear it has to be because he was drafted so late or he isn't the ideal size / arm strength. Like they're fooling themselves "He can't be this good - there has to be other reasons why!"

No, he's just the next Tom Brady (Not that he'll be one of the best QBs ever, way too early to say, but that he was a late round draft pick that's turned into an excellent quarterback).

Kirios fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 15, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is it a good thing that the #1 overall franchise quarterback is being compared to a tiny puppy? Asking for a friend.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I still can’t believe people think Purdy isn’t an elite quarterback.

Some of y’all are never going to learn.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Seriously I’m not even a 49er fan at all but if you can’t watch Purdy and Garoppolo with the 49ers and realize there is a massive, *massive* difference then I’d seriously question your ability to evaluate quarterbacks.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I wish Colt McCoy was good - that’s the GOAT of QB names.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bears would be beyond dumb to not draft a QB first overall.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Even BlindSite's admitting that Bryce is a bust - that should tell you how bad the situation has gotten with him.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I think at this point the Panthers would take a late first round pick for Young. Maybe even a second round pick.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I think you've both hit the nail on the head - the real reason why Bryce's rookie year is being magnified so much is because Stroud has had maybe the best rookie quarterback season ever.

Is it entirely fair for us to drat Bryce Young because they passed on someone who looks like a Top 5-10 QB already? Sure, the Panthers drafted the wrong guy - that much is obvious, but we're perhaps being a little quick to call Bryce a bust.

(To be clear, I don't think Bryce is gonna make it. I think he's not physically capable of being a long term QB in the NFL).

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

CJ Stroud is a generational Jesus worshipper.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Doltos posted:

Almost everyone on that list is a solid starter or better I don't know what else to say here other than people are being a little ridiculous and putting their fingers in their ears

I get it if you look at it from a statistical perspective, but my major concern is his physical size. Fiz is right, he's having significant problems seeing over the line.

The Saints had to completely design their offense around Brees (which, fair, he's an all time great quarterback so you definitely do that every time). Panthers will need to get some incredible interior line play to get Young lanes to actually throw the ball to. They aren't anywhere close to that, and I don't expect Young to be the kind of player to justify such significant investment in the guards.

Edit: Yeah c'mon Doltos watch Fiz's video and tell me that isn't a major concern.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Doltos posted:

The first 6 plays in this are covered featuring a designed screen, a slants concept, and two good scrambles. He overthrows a guy with someone directly in his face, which most QBs would do, and then hits a dime down the sideline. I don't think this is the gotcha that you think it is.

Dude - why do you think they are calling those plays in the first place?!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

No but you're kind of showing that you haven't watched a lot of their offense (Which, fair, it's brutal and I don't expect anyone that isn't a Panthers fan to do so. I only have because I was curious between Stroud and Young until it became clear Stroud was the correct choice).

That is a significant portion, if not all of their offense. The only time you see him stay in the pocket is when significant lanes have been created for him to see through. They have to get elite guards to reliably do that for him - otherwise he's immediately running to the side.

That's not sustainable.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah you're right - the receivers definitely don't help. Bryce was put into the worst situation I've seen for a rookie quarterback since David Carr.

He was also starting to see ghosts the last few games of the year too so we may be talking about something that's already too late. And that...really isn't his fault.

Hopefully I'm wrong - fanbases that have been so bad to get the #1 overall pick deserve to get their guy after suffering so much. But I just don't see it Doltos, honestly. With Bryce Young I see someone who is physically incapable of playing the quarterback position in the NFL at a decent clip unless the offense is dramatically changed to compensate for his limitations. And I don't see him ever becoming a good enough player to justify that investment.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I think it's fascinating actually - I'd consider myself more locked in than most on college players and the draft in general and the Doltos' of the world are a step beyond myself.

We all evaluated these quarterbacks especially, as they're the ones that get the most study on them, and none of us were calling Bryce a bust. I believe Daltos and myself had Stroud above him, but he was solidly the second best QB. No one saw this coming.

So what do we naturally do as humans? We go back and re evaluate, and try to figure out how a player who was projected to be a fantastic NFL quarterback has turned out to be so...bad. I actually really enjoy this kind of discourse - evaluating players would be way more boring if everyone panned out exactly like we thought.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Doltos posted:

Because I'm arguing on the internet and I grabbed the stat leaders of the current season and then thought of some names before then. People put so much burden of proof on me but never bring up their own before making a statement. It gets pretty frustrating.

Hey now I feel that's unfair to me - I more than brought up some valid points.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That’s a little revisionist history - the Texans WR core was seen as bad if not worse than the Panthers’ going into the year. No one even knew who Nico Collins really was.

Stroud elevated that group (And had immediate rapport with Tank Dell).

What y’all are saying about Bryce Young? About how the Panthers were setting him up to fail? The same exact things were said about the Texans and Stroud.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I think if Bryce were anything but a high first round pick every mock draft would have QB as their top need.

Isn't continuing to play him knowing that the textbook definition of sunk cost fallacy?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ehh I guess but if a Nix falls to 33 it may be worth a look...

Man the Panthers are in an extremely unenviable position. Their best option is to get a solid vet to stabilize things and give Bryce a chance to learn under them. I think it's a terrible idea to throw him out there Week 1 in 2024. He needs a reset.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I’m still not convinced Tua’s the guy. He’s accurate, yeah, but his anticipation still just seems okay - he’s more of a throw to a target quarterback than anticipate what the receiver is doing.

What they do have is the most talented skill position group in the NFL and a coach I rate very highly in Mike McDaniel. I wonder if we’re looking at a 49er situation (IE: Any quarterback can at least be good in it) with Tua and we don’t realize it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I legitimately, honestly watch CJ Stroud this year and think he’s gonna be a top 3 QB for the next 15 years.

I’ve never seen a rookie this impressive before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The337th posted:

I can't even fathom what it must be like to be looking toward your team's football future when this is how your rookie QB's season is going

It’s the most positive I’ve ever been about the Texans. It feels like we’re going to be a playoff mainstay for the next 10-15 years.

It’s an incredible feeling and so fulfilling after the past 20 years. I hope every fan base gets to experience something similar in their lives.