Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hoooooo boy, so far this thread is (in my opinion) severely underrating Trevor Lawrence who is far and away the best on this list followed by Purdy and Stroud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Trevor is elite! By the end of this season you'll all see.

T Law playing for the 49ers would be the presumptive MVP right now

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I would be very psyched about Lawrence and Ridley

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1711733821748785232#m

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Play posted:

Trevor has played well overall, but he doesn't have Purdy's accuracy or anticipation.

I’m being gaslit I know it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Richardson seems like a cautionary tale for any large QB inspired by Josh Allen’s recklessness

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm p glad the Ravens dodged Levis by a few weeks

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I’d probably move Dak to the first row, Goff and Stafford to the second. And Falcons appear to be over Ridder

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

god the standard for rookie QBs is so impossibly high these days. I will say interceptions aren't the worst thing for a rookie QB to be doing, at least he's taking chances.

the footwork does look terrible though, he just doesn't seem to be in much of an athletic stance back there

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Fire Reich and make plans to hire a Bobby Slowik as HC the moment you can.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

b0ng posted:

That seems like a huge jump for Slowik, seeing as this is his first year just being an offensive coordinator.

It is a huge jump. But he's a Shanahan disciple who's helping a rookie QB become a legitimate MVP candidate.

If the Panthers want to keep Reich around a year too long, hire someone else who isn't as good because he has more experience, go for it, I'm sure their division mates would appreciate it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

sometimes you have to take risks with young smart guys.

The Ravens offense was great in 2014 when Gary Kubiak was OC. Kubiak gets the Denver HC job and who do the Ravens hire as OC? Marc Trestman, presumably because he had experience or whatever. Huge mistake.

In retrospect they should have looked for someone else who knew that system - Kyle Shanahan had already been hired by Atlanta, Sean McVay was Washington's OC, but I think someone who could have been a great hire was Matt LaFleur who was at Notre Dame in 2014.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

not to be mean but let's see what CJ Stroud does with this kind of coverage

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1721277429447360733#m

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Agreed. Bobby Slowik for HC, on a condition that he doesn’t delegate the OC role like Brian Daboll

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.sportsinfosolutions.com/2023/11/08/bryce-young-was-a-college-legend-but-hes-not-a-good-fit-for-the-pros/

just found this article which is basically making my point from the GDT, someone get me a writing job

quote:

It would be one thing if Young was struggling early and had some bankable traits, but this is what happens when you take size outliers with no distinguishing qualities outside of collegiate production. Kyler Murray may be tiny, but at least he runs a 4.3 and can throw the football a country mile. What’s Young got up his sleeve? He was a ‘winner’ and a ‘playmaker’ in college?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The worst thing about Young's performance imo was the inaccuracy. He should not be missing open guys so much. Like yeah once in a while every QB fucks up a throw or sails one, but he was doing it over and over again.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think if this Panthers offense is going to work he needs to start throwing on time and getting the ball out fast.

The Bengals offense has great receivers, but I don't think Zac Taylor is all that good at scheming guys open. What makes it work is that Joe Burrow is never EVER late on a throw. He hits his back foot and bam the ball is out every play. That small window of a guy being open before the CB can recover is all he needs.

Rewatching some of these plays on the Amazon all-22, this offense has even less margin for error and Young always hesitates at the bottom of his drop. Also it would help to be reliably accurate.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

He needs to just start letting it rip early. Interceptions are bad but sacks are somehow more demoralizing to me for rookies.

It'd be a different story if he had the ability to get creative and do the playground QB thing, but right now he is not at all scary when he has to bail from the pocket. So maybe start trying to throw on schedule.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think the offense is so hosed up that his mechanics are the least of their concerns, but it should probably move up higher in the priority list because his accuracy is garbo

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Ravens in 2014 but they had literally Gary Kubiak installing and coaching it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Caleb’s been noticeably worse this year and I’d still take him #1 overall regardless. I’m hoping Jayden falls to the Bucs somehow.

I think being on a team that kinda sucks is actually a boon for QBs.

Anyway based on what I’ve seen Caleb has that creativity and out of structure thing that you can’t really teach and I’d take him no question

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Will Levis: pretty good!

He’s willing to sacrifice his body in an Allen-esque way which is scary but fun to watch. His mechanics seem a little weird but he’s got plenty of arm and has no problem getting the ball down the field. He was smart with the checkdowns, stood tall in the pocket. I like him!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'd have no problem giving Purdy the MVP at this point. Quarterbacking is such a complicated marriage of the player, the scheme and their surrounding talent that I think I'm okay with just giving it to the guy with the best stats and calling it a day.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Someone on the ringer podcast pulled the stats and if you only included Purdy’s passes that were at or behind the line of scrimmage he’s a top 5 qb in basically every category. That’s not praise for Purdy, that’s damning evidence.

it's praise for having a head coach who can just manufacture offense at will. god who even cares about MVP, QB rankings, "eliteness" when you have that? literally no other team with any QB, including Patrick "God Himself" Mahomes, has an offense as good as San Francisco.

They are a machine that works on all levels and every other fanbase should envy them

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I do think people underrate how much of the Mahomes/Chiefs offense is bolstered by short passes and screens. it's just something good offensive coaches know how to take advantage of and keeps an offense on schedule.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

awwwwwwww dammit OBJ

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

People act as if other MVPs weren’t helped by their scheme or talent. 2018 Mahomes was playing with prime Hill, Kelce with Andy Reid calling plays and defenses not having any idea how to slow them yet. Give it to Purdy.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Lighting the big "EPA per play is a team stat" beacon

MVP is a team award

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

fsif posted:

Mr. Irrelevant isn't the one reason people keep doubting Purdy—it's also his name. "Brock Purdy" isn't a proper MVP quarterback name. It doesn't even sound like the type of name you give to a child on purpose.

“Mahomes” isn’t exactly a classic Football Guy name either but you get used to it

Bortles had no chance, though

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

'Dan Marino' is a great football name but ONLY for a Miami team, no way that name works in Green Bay

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The337th posted:

Purdy is even more clearly the MVP now, just look how bad they lost when he didn't play well, and CMC/Shanahan couldn't bail the team out

this is more compelling than it should be

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

these are all insanely fantastic outcomes for a Mr. Irrelevant

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really care who gets MVP, this has been the year defense struck back. I do think Lamar's as worthy as anyone else and I think the Ravens stuffing his main MVP rival Brock Purdy into a dumpster in one of the most watched primetime games ever will probably make it more likely he gets it.

You could make a stats case for Tua, especially if they win on Sunday. Dark horse Josh Allen if they somehow claw back to win the AFC East.

or just give MVP to Kyle Hamilton

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah maybe Sunday Miami @ Baltimore is the battle for both the 1 seed and the MVP.

Of course it’s a 1 o’clock game

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

If you are Pittsburgh or Atlanta, do you prefer:
  • Murray for two seconds, or
  • Fields for a second, a third, and a fourth?

It's tempting to say Fields as he's cheap and basically no strings attached, but I'd still say Kyler who I think is much more likely to be, ya know, good.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jax without Lawrence is still -4 against Carolina. Vegas still ain't buying Bryce.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

wrong thread

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kurt Warner’s kind of a Jesus freak but he seems like an okay fella

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Trevor Lawrence, kind of. I know TFF is down on him but I still think he's good, he's just very hurt right now

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

look at all these "attempts"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkh0vfNC7Hc

this video also has probably his best throw of the year.

I'll be honest - he moves better than I remember him moving. He's pretty shifty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

look at all these "attempts"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkh0vfNC7Hc

this video also has probably his best throw of the year.

anyway yeah this tape is bad. he seems to have no downfield vision, can't throw on the move, I still hate his footwork

when there's a defender in his face he just cannot throw it past him reliably