Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I’m glad that C.J. Stroud is good because dismissing prospects purely on the historical output of the school they played for was always loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Can a guy really be "dismissed" for either when he went where he did?

Pretty sure everyone said "test dumb" at the time.

I’m just talking about posters, not GMs. Not that Ohio State needs someone to cape for them, but it was tiresome to see “never draft an Ohio State QB” every time they had a prospect, as if there was any connection between like, Art Schlichter and Justin Fields.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Do we have a draft thread up yet this year?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Was he injured in college too?

Frequently.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Isn't Sam Howell on pace for like 90?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Main thing with Penix is injury history and that he never faces pressure. He used to be extremely dangerous on the ground and now he just sits back there picking secondaries apart because of his knees + he doesn't need to move.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I also don't get the McCarthy hype but admittedly I am biased. He's more dynamic than most Michigan QBs that go day 3 if at all, but he also doesn't have to do anything. He did not officially record a pass attempt in the entire second half against their best opponent.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

To be fair they were basically down to their 4th QB who literally could not throw the ball. Going from from Purdy to Darnold would be less of a drop off.

Yeah the better question is what happens with a replacement level quarterback, not Josh Johnson.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fsif posted:

Mr. Irrelevant isn't the one reason people keep doubting Purdy—it's also his name. "Brock Purdy" isn't a proper MVP quarterback name. It doesn't even sound like the type of name you give to a child on purpose.

What if I told you he has a brother currently playing college ball who goes by Chubba?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

How does Brocks brother score on QB names?

WOAT

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Even wilder when you consider that Randall was the most elusive quarterback maybe ever up to that point. If you put a generic stiff of that era in that situation he gets sacked on 50% of dropbacks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Forrest on Fire posted:

It's ok everybody, I did it to myself. I hate the forward pass.

E: I even did the order wrong I'm IL-based and support the Cardinals.

You're just being a state loyalist. They are Chicago's original football team after all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

This isn't a fair comparison. I can understand why people like pickles even if I don't, but I've never understood the Bryce hype.

Bryce was a very fun and dynamic college player whereas Clausen played for Notre Dame.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New mandate: Draft the lovely tools guy from the Mountain West

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

I remember when Bryce won his Heisman it really just felt like "really? nobody else did poo poo this year so just give it to the bama qb by default?"

In the regular season he threw for 3900 yards, 40 TDs and 4 interceptions on an 11-1 team. Not an insane season but a pretty reasonable Heisman winner.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

That was a "let's give the Heisman to the QB on the best team" year but no one wanted to give the Heisman to Stetson Bennett so it went to Bryce instead.

Stetson threw for under 2,000 yards in the regular season and wasn't even 100% secure in the starting job in the early part of the season. 2022 is the genuine Stetson Bennett Heisman campaign. Stroud and Kenny Pickett (lol) were the other finalists with a bone thrown to Aidan Hutchinson (should've been Kenneth Walker).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pain of Mind posted:

That is how I interpreted "overall" as well, but what is confusing me is that that statement true is for the examples I gave as well, but I must be interpreting the statement incorrectly since everyone is telling me so (without any playoff qualifiers).

Matt Stafford was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 9/17/23.
Joe Burrow was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 10/29/23.
Trevor Lawrence was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 11/12/23.
Baker Mayfield was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 11/19/23.
Kyler Murray was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 12/17/23.

It literally happened 3 games in a row earlier this year, so I was originally just trying to see where the novelty of that happening this game is (outside of Lions in the championship game). The hard part is getting a last overall pick who plays multiple games/seasons, after that every game is breaking some record because there have been 6 Mr. Irrelevant QBs in the Superbowl Era, and he is the only one that has actually played as far as I can tell without doing any research on the other 5, though I guess Chad Kelly took a knee once.

The novelty is it happening in the conference championship game of all places. Purdy is basically the only Mr. Irrelevant who has ever actually been Relevant.