Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BrownThunder posted:

Bryce Young is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sign Keary Colbert to run the team

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dutchy posted:

Is that actually the implication? I'm waaaayyyy over simplifying here, rounding down to 10, and a dumbass to boot, but hypothetically

1. 2/2 w/ a pair of 10 yard 0 YAC completions
2. 1/2 w/ a 5 yard completion + 15 YAC and a 15 yard incomplete
3. 1/2 w/ a 15 yard completion + 5 YAC and a 5 yard incomplete

would all give you an average target depth of 10 and a YPA of 10.

Not trying to make a point about Stroud in particular or anything, just that I'm not sure that depth of target by itself is actually all that useful a context tool without actually having YAC/completion %/etc. If the point is to measure "QB Aggressiveness" I think it'd probably be better to just make a chart with % of passes over 10 yards or 20 yards or whatever.

its because all of those charts, like every single "advanced statistic" people try to apply to football, are fake and meaningless

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe Bryce came down with hardcore clinical depression because he just looks like he does not want to be playing football at any point

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it was the scheme's fault that bryce overthrows most of his short and intermediate passes and also throws multiple balls right into defenders hands that they graciously drop to not hurt his feelings

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

has a team switching from power man to zone blocking ever, ever, ever worked out, i feel like every time people ask "why did that lineman/the entire line go from being good to looking like absolute dogshit" the answer is always "the coach tried to switch to a zone blocking scheme"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

god RG3's rookie season ruled so much.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What’s up with Levis

shockingly, one impressive game against The loving Falcons where more than half of his yards and 3 of his 4 touchdowns were all to DeAndre Hopkins wasn't really indicative of consistent production

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Worst trade in nfl history was originaly a three team trade that would have got Texans to 1, Carolina to 2 and Chicago to 9.

It wasn’t happening right away so tepper just stomped his feet and told fitterer to make it happen.

https://x.com/avl_mike/status/1724772224631017866?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Why in the name of god would you admit that

finance guys ruining everything they touch ftw

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

xbilkis posted:

Here is to me the biggest red flag on Drake Maye

That dude just doesn't look like a top NFL QB. Who's the last great QB who looked anything like that? It's a face in the Jimmy Clausen/Sam Darnold lineage of busts

this is what every single quarterback who was drafted into the NFL in the 1990s looked like

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BlindSite posted:

It's cause you're all old as gently caress and anyone under 30 looks like a kid to you now.

wrong

this man is only 3 years older than Drake Maye

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Yes but he's from Carolina and he's aged quickly from the stink of the Carolina panthers over the last few years.

Drake Maye was born in Charlotte! He literally plays for UNC!!!!!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I think i actually somehow managed to never watch a single snap of Josh Rosen's during his entire NFL career

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Manoueverable posted:

How extremely bad do you have to be if you're twice as bad as Zack Wilson?

Just going off comparing them on PFR, Rosen and Wilson's stats aren't that different with the big difference being that Josh Rosen really, really, really liked throwing interceptions, which I think goes back to Daltos' theory of "never draft a QB who can't throw an out route"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doltos posted:

Bryce is a rookie on the worst team in the league yall need patience

We're gonna need more than patience if we're waiting for him to grow 7 inches

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i would take Christian Kirk in a heartbeat

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Whoever said Purdy isn't getting credit because he's a 7th round pick is correct. If he was taken in the top 10 and putting up these numbers it would be an entirely different conversation.

I'm giving Purdy exactly the same amount of credit I gave noted top 3 overall pick Matt Ryan and that motherfucker didn't deserve MVP in 2016 either

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thats kind of the crux of an MVP argument, yes

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i can post fake number charts and graphs too

BlindSite posted:

I kind of eluded to this before with my post about ranking MVP seasons overall but did Peyton not deserve the MVP award because he had an all universe offensive line and was throwing to
Marvin Harrison
Reggie Wayne
Brandon Stokely
with Edgerrin James in the backfield ?

Did Tom not deserve his when he had Moss and he threw 50TDs?

Does that Make Lamar Jackson's MVP season more impressive because he didn't have GOATs catching passes?

Was Cam's MVP season better because he had no left tackle, his offensive coordinator was loving horrid and his primary receiver was Ted Ginn?

yes, to all of these questions

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Amy Pole Her posted:

BSs posts made me check the score and wow i expected… points. Wins a win I guess

the man is drinking straight liquid copium

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BlindSite is such a Bryce homer you'd think he was a lovely MMA fighter who made his entire personality that he loves Donald Trump

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh PFF?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Black Sunshine posted:

Purdy is the new Jimmy G but not handsome

no man ive been over this he's literally Matt Ryan

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"Better than Jimmy Garoppolo" is not the benchmark you think it is

in fact, Jimmy Garoppolo's continued stature as an Assumed Starting Quarterback is thanks almost entirely to the same forces that are making Brock Purdy look like an elite QB

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Papercut posted:

Congrats to CMC on the MVP

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

get benched loser lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The337th posted:

lets kick the logic of this stupid award up another notch

Purdy is even more clearly the MVP now, just look how bad they lost when he didn't play well, and CMC/Shanahan couldn't bail the team out

haters with their system QB claims totally owned

counterpoint: the one touchdown the 9ers scored before garbage time and involved an actual drive down the field was entirely based on CMC running the ball or catching the ball in the backfield, and then Kyle decided he didn't want to do that anymore and Brock threw another 2 picks

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bryce has less interceptions because he threw a lot of blatantly uncatchable balls deep out of bounds, and the interceptions he did have were less "tried to fit it into a window that would have been open in college" and more "where the gently caress were you throwing that ball you short little bitch"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doltos posted:

I added Kirk's first 3 seasons together but fine, let's throw out Kirk.

this isn't baseball, players aren't rookies until they hit some arbitrary threshold of "number of games played" in the nfl

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BlindSite posted:

People also ignore that there was a 60 yard bomb that Chark popped that game that was on pretty badly thrown ball but either way.

This weekend the Panthers bombed a touchdown because DJ Chark didn't just lower his shoulder and another because terrace Marshall didn't take a step forward lining up. The next play a defensive end had a free rush and forced a fumble.

Again receivers and offensive line wiped away 14 points Bryce had engineered or helped engineer. Our kicker also missed a gimme.

17 point swing through no actual fault of Youngs.

The defense cost us the green bay game. Because despite the garbage time protestations the last two touchdown drives levelled the scores.

I have a longer post I'll make tonight but there is some revisionist history going on already ITT.

hmmmm

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

personally i think if a quarterback drops the ball on the ground when he gets hit, its maybe a little bit of his fault

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the panthers drafting bonix would be my personal nightmare

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Parallax posted:

It's ok, in the off-season Tua will study whatever martial art makes you better at reading which receiver is open

he just needs to develop his yomi

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lmao at the idea of Kenny Pickett as the median QB

If thats your median, boy we're in trouble

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

i can fathom, however, the exact opposite.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

A Sneaker Broker posted:

It's just wild to me that the entire Panthers brass (at the time) was deadset on Stroud, and their impatient bastard of an owner's wife decided, "Nah. I want the Bama boy."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Master Stur posted:

In an alternate timeline Reich got his way and Bryce sat and learned as long as Love and maybe comes out nearly as good.

what in the world lmao

Jordan Love was a 6' 4" Raw Tools guy coming out of college, the exact opposite type of QB from Bryce

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cant wait for the 4 games Anthony Richardson plays next year, only 2 of which he plays all offensive snaps of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I remember when Bryce won his Heisman it really just felt like "really? nobody else did poo poo this year so just give it to the bama qb by default?"