Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
This has gotten silly. Brock Purdy is a good QB. Stupendous for being Mr. Irrelevant. Trevor Lawrence is the much better QB at this point in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

BlindSite posted:

Etienne
Kirk
Jones
Ridley
Engram

Is one of the better skill position groups in the NFL lol.

I think following the Panthers has broken your brain a bit.

SF
CIN
DAL
PHI
MIA
SEA
MIN
TB
LAR
ATL

are all definitely better skill groups, and there are probably ten other teams with arguably better groups than the Jags. They aren't terrible, but they are far from top of the league.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Doltos posted:

Fwiw I really don't like Drake Maye. I think he makes beautiful throws when he's got no pressure but the second there's adversity he fucks up horrifically. He also has a really long throwing mechanic that takes a while to get off compared to like McCarthy or Sanders or Caleb. I don't know how he's getting rated as the #1 right now it's perplexing, but it's still early.

I should start the draft thread.

I choose to believe this because all the draftniks talking up Maye share a bunch of highlights where he has an immaculate pocket and/or a wide open WR. Kind of reminds me of the draft talk around Zach Wilson.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
My only draft take is that there will be one absolute steal at QB this year. At least one of Sanders, Penix Jr., Daniels, Nix, and McCarthy are going to hit and probably most of those guys fall to the back half of the 1st or later. Probably one of them turns out better than the top two guys, which makes them getting picked late a talking point for years a la Mahomes and Watson.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I hope Stroud recovers and makes the playoffs. Dude is so fun.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I love that we have Mr. Irrelevant playing as a top QB in the league. I just also have eyes. Makes it hard to square the idea that Purdy is actually playing better than Mahomes, Lamar, Herbert, etc.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The 49ers would be more hurt by the loss of CMC, Deboo, or Kittle than by the loss of Purdy. Those guys create such a high floor that even the drop off from Purdy to Sam Darnold (which is substantial) would be less impactful.

That said, a pro-Purdy MVP argument that I haven't seen expressed is his tiny wee baby cap hit. If we are going to have a semantics argument about the word "valuable", why not throw in the fact that the 49ers are currently severely under paying based on their QB's market value? Hell, it's a big part of why they can be so stacked elsewhere.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Doltos posted:

EPA is a garbage stat that tries to compare completely different personnel, eras, coaching styles, play calling, etc into one stat that tells you nothing. It's the worst stat to happen to football since QB completion percentage and most likely resulted in stupid analytic coaches like Brandon Staley.

You have strong evidence for this argument in the fact that 2023 Purdy has a higher EPA per dropback than the clearly superior 2018 Mahomes and 2019 Lamar.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

fsif posted:

Whoever wins it'll be kind of unimpressive for an MVP campaign. Like Lamar is a fine candidate this year but it doesn't feel like it nearly compares to his existing MVP season.

Fully agreed. There just hasn't been any QB having that kind of absolutely stellar performance this year.

People keep mentioning CMC and Tyreek but I honestly think Deboo and Miles Garrett are the two non-QBs I would give it to. The only knock on either has been missing games or under performing due to injury. And both have absolutely netted their teams wins they would not have otherwise.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

darkforce898 posted:

There is a good possibility that Darnold plays week 18 so you all can see what a night and day difference it has been this year.

Has Darnold gotten snaps this year already?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is Brock Purdy playing at a level above his peers? No, obviously not. No one would reasonably argue he's a top 5 quarterback.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

epic bacon posted:

he's 1st in YPA, 1st in passer rating, 1st in touchdowns, 2nd in passing yards, 1st in 1st down %, 1st in 20+ yard passes, 1st in 40+ yard passes...

Dumb argument by nerds that don't watch football.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

If you really feel like being tedious rules lawyer purdy is indisputably the most valuable player because he is providing at a minimum top ten qb production for pennies and giving the team more flexibility to build around him. The ultimate rookie qb window

Most Market Valuable Player. Technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Doltos posted:

The MVP is Raheem Mostert

Yes, but Alec Ingold is co-MVP.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kirios posted:

I still can’t believe people think Purdy isn’t an elite quarterback.

Some of y’all are never going to learn.

What do you mean by elite? Would you swap Stroud for Purdy straight up?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Edward Mass posted:

Brock Purdy was almost undrafted, which makes him that much more impressive.

Literally Mr. Irrelevant. Already the most consequential Mr. Irrelevant all time. More impressive than undrafted in my opinion.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Honestly, after watching him against my own team, I'm still not sold on Brock Purdy as MVP.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

fsif posted:

Man I was amenable to Lamar as MVP but he really doesn't have the numbers for it. He's not top 5 in any QB metric except for Y/A (#4 at 7.7) but he's still way behind Purdy (9.7), Tua (8.5), and Stroud (8.2) there. He leads QBs in rush yards, but is still only #6 in total yards. He only has 5 rushing TDs—WAY behind Hurts (15), Allen (13), and even Dobbs (6).

Then again he is the winningest QB in the league (with a schedule that includes 12 games against likely playoff teams) and transparently the best player on the field in every game he plays. Dude is the MVP. All the arguments against are cope.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
MVP is THE narrative award. Lamar will win because he went head to head on Christmas night with the presumptive MVP and played great while the competition got intercepted 4 times.

The only way this doesn't happen is if Tua has a dramatically better game than Lamar on Sunday. Even that may not be enough because that game is happening at 10 am.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It is a famously resurgent year for defense. Except in Green Bay.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Jordan Love is a wild case. From the start of the year to the end of the year he had the career arc of a promising rookie QB who grew into a 3rd-year pro who put it all together. All in one season. The flashes were there all along, but the way LaFleur changed the offense to suit Love's talents and limit the negative plays really allowed his QB to flourish.

There are about 8 head coaches who really did a phenomenal job with their teams this year. It's pretty cool to see.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kirios posted:

The players I would trade Stroud for at this time:

Josh Allen
Joe Burrow
Lamar Jackson
Patrick Mahomes
Justin Herbert

That's it. For a rookie, that's insane.

And you can make a real argument that not to trade Stroud for these guys based on ookie contract value and the unknowns of moving to a new team.

Texans are in a real good spot.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kirios posted:

I consider Joe Burrow the best QB in the NFL so yeah I think that’s not a great take, even if Herbert is Top 5.

You should reconsider that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
When the Texans play Baltimore they'll get a test against the actual best defense in the league. Should be a fun one.