Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Does Stroud even put up the same numbers if he were a Panther? Because I would argue Bobby Slowik is helping Stroud out more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

What’s the point of this hypothetical? He’s having probably the best rookie QB season ever, it’s safe to say he’s probably pretty good irrespective of his coaching.

Yes, he would be doing worse with worse coaching just like every other QB in the NFL. He’d still have absolutely beautiful touch and accuracy and a drat good arm though.

I'm just thinking of rebuttals as my family of Panther fans are in my ear non-stop for preaching about Stroud early. He's a drat good player.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

whos that broooown posted:

He really was lucky to go to the second worst NFL team.

Lovie Smith is forever in the hearts of Texans fans for deciding to win that worthless game.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

IcePhoenix posted:

From what I've seen it sounds like Houston still would have taken Stroud

It's just wild to me that the entire Panthers brass (at the time) was deadset on Stroud, and their impatient bastard of an owner decided, "Nah. I want the Bama boy."

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

FizFashizzle posted:

Not that it should matter at all but I understand how someone like tepper could have been put off by speaking with CJ stroud.

Conversely I can see how Bryce’s insincere corporate bullshit would have gone straight to his heart.

It’s an evil world we live in. I hope some day all Panther’s fans are freed from the shackles of David Tepper.

But yeah, I’ll say Stroud is a Top 5 QB in the league right now.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

1. Lamar
2. Mahomes
3. Allen
4. Stroud
5. Love

I'm ready for debates.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah I'm just about there. There's 3 QBs I would say are clearly and definitely better than Love, and it's Lamar/Mahomes/Allen.

That Tier B group is a fairly wide net.

I hate the Bears with everything I have, but I hope they watch Stroud & Love cook the league and ask themselves, "Why should we keep Fields?"

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Doltos posted:

poo poo at this point Bryce might be better than Tua

Let's calm down here.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

I called this specific play out in the GDT, it's ridiculous how he just slots it in between three defenders all reaching out to bat down the pass.

https://twitter.com/AndyHermanNFL/status/1746753208427466959

Totally normal things for a QB to be doing in his first year starting. Nothing to see here.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

These days it kind of is a normal thing for a good QB to be doing his first year starting. Mahomes and Herbert definitely had some crazy plays like this. Stroud has this year. Allen was really rough as a passer but even early on he could obviously do some impressive things.

I think the expectation these days is if your QB doesn’t have at least a few “holy poo poo” plays early on then they probably just don’t have it. The good QBs are mostly all freak athletes throwing lasers from weird arm angles. Guys like Burrow are an anomaly.

Now that I think about it, you are right. At least I can sleep tight knowing we have a guy who has "IT." Now let's pay him before anyone else pays their QB.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Henchman of Santa posted:

New mandate: Draft the lovely tools guy from the Mountain West

The next guy up that could go nuclear in the NFL is Avery Johnson. He’s getting coached up by the same coach who developed Love in college, Matt Wells.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Stroud and Love have the same agent. They gonna get loving paid.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Stroud and Love will lead the league for years to come. Switching gears however, I believe Michael Penix Jr in Minnesota could be a game changer.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

IcePhoenix posted:

The Vikings are gonna give up the farm to draft Daniels, I can feel it in my bones.

They need to go young.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I personally can’t wait to watch Anthony Richardson ball out when he comes back. He had something cooking and the film was backing it up. All he needs is just more reps being honest.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Shanahan is the reason the 49ers offense goes VROOM VROOM.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Kalli posted:

Yeah, which is why he was reportedly trying to lure Brady out of retirement this offseason.

Dude has a system that can win with middling QB's and really doesn't want to be doing that.

The moment Shanahan gets an elite QB, it's over for the league.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Goff was very good last year when LaPorta and Gibbs weren’t on the team.

Goff has been putting up some numbers for a while. He earned a contract extension. Wonder what they do with Hooker.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

BlindSite posted:

Part of me wonders if Brady had of signed in San Fran if he would have two more rings instead of one now you mention it.

With the roster they have now? He gets two rings minimum.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ_QE7bhL1s

Field's stans need to realize this guy is going to make the Bears relevant again. I am sorry.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Doltos posted:

Hurts is awful they had to pay him only because the stumbled into a working offense for one year. Really self sabotaging, if you ask me

Shane Steichen made Jalen Hurts a really rich man.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

DickEmery posted:

Does anyone think Washington would trade up one spot to guarantee getting Williams?
How much would that cost them?

From what I have been hearing, assuming Washington lands a deal with Ben Johnson (their preferred guy), they would be okay with either Maye or Daniels.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Coldforge posted:

I'm unsure your Packers point works, because it's a new scheme with almost entirely new personal under LaFleur. Unless it's simply the organization, being well run, makes it more likely the QBs they pick are good?

Boiling it down, then, and please tell me if this is an incorrect generalization, but you're focusing on past success as an indicator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK83pnkIyvs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTDmlYHrpA

Multiple players (current & former), coaches, and executives have publicly said JLove has everything you want in an elite QB. The scheme helps, but when a QB can easily recognize a coverage of a fake cadence, change protection, hot route out, etc, it makes for an exceptional talent.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Coldforge posted:

That's a good point.

JLove had all the traits and tools (and size) you want from a QB coming out of college, but he did not throw that much and only had one excellent season. Credit to LaFleur, Gutey, and Clements for getting him ready and being patient.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Intruder posted:

It seems really weird to look at the defending champs who are in the conference championship game and think man that team sure hosed itself

This upcoming FA & draft they are going in on replacing Mahomes entire WR corps.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Intruder posted:

I hope Stroud starts some kind of health company that the Texans then invest in and he plays on a below market contract while raking in that money :v:

Maybe but they'll still have the most important part of that equation

Oh, 1000%. Mahomes until he retires, is the best QB in the NFL. By far. He is already a HoF and it isn’t close. With that being said, it is malpractice by the Chiefs FO to give him such lovely weapons. We know he can make it work, but cmon. We want to see him drop bombs to speedy WR’s who don’t have problems with catching or fumbling the football.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Coldforge posted:

So combining your first post with this one, am in correct in saying that you trust the evaluation of quarterback experts, but only if the QB in question meets a certain threshold of traits and tools (and size)?

I trust players more than analysts. I don't care what the size a player is. But if the dude is your stereotypical big QB with a big arm that can make all the throws, I want that over any other type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Stroud & Love are gonna enter Top 10 QB debates during the off-season and I am all for it. I also believe Bryce Young can turn it around and that Anthony Richardson could break out assuming he doesn't injure himself again.