Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I dunno this might be one of those wojak bell curve meme situations where you have the insane Bama homers with 69iq on one side saying he’s great, a bunch of weirdo analytics guys with 169iq on the other saying he’s great, and then every normal person in the middle of the distro going “he’s a 5’9” smol bean who played every single college and high school game with a massive talent advantage”

I know that meme is supposed to show the truth is at the ends but let’s ignore that in this case because the obvious middle has it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Sometimes guys “level up” once they get to the league. Watson was dinged for having an average arm but he always had enough arm strength once he got to the NFL. Bryce looks like he’s just hit a wall, but who knows, maybe with less lovely coaching he could turn it around.

Gotta get these guys on Jake Browning-tech

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Intruder posted:

Teams aren't going to write Bryce off after a bad rookie season on a dogshit team when he was entering the draft as at worst a top 5 pick

Should he have been? I don’t think so Tim.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

If the Panthers didn't draft him where would he have gone?

There’s a reason those teams were drafting 1-5.

I cannot wrap my head around the idea of wee Bryce being a top pick lol. It feels like one of those situations where it only makes sense if you’re massively overthinking things and I guess there’s systemic institutional overthinking of things in certain front offices.

It’s like the mirror of drafting tall white guys that “look good” really high. Bryce is alternate universe Paxton Lynch.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Doltos posted:

Plenty of QBs bounce back from terrible rookie seasons. It's insanely hard to play QB in the NFL and it takes time to adapt.

He's also not too short that's a weird thing to say considering that wasn't his problem this year. He had WRs that were put into a speed route offense that couldn't run those routes fast enough because they're all old and poo poo. He had to run for his life all the time because they were always covered. They had the absolute worst WR group in the league and it's astounding Thielen even put up the stats he did. I don't think he had problems seeing over the line or having his passes batted. He was tied with Mahomes and Josh Allen as the 30th most batted down QB this year with 6 compared to Howell and Mayfield with 19.

He’s not getting passes batted down because he’s not even able to get out throws that could be batted lol

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Doltos posted:

He had the 12th most attempts in the league

My point was about what kind of attempts those were. He’s not even making throws over engaged blockers that might get batted down.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Doltos posted:

I think it's perfectly fine to escape a pocket and throw a pass in the NFL, you'll find that Mahomes does the exact same thing.

?????

I don’t disagree

??????

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Doltos posted:

I'm confused. So apparently he's too short but doesn't get balls batted down,

He’s not capable of making those throws which limits the offense

quote:

he doesn't attempt those throws even though he's in the top half of the league in attempts,

Having a ton of attempts doesn’t mean much if they are bad percentage throws or stuff that has to be schemed for his limitations

quote:

and we're demonizing him because he rolls out of a zone blocking pocket that hasn't been effective all season

Some of which can be attributed to his inability to see types of reads, his limitations are partially to blame here

quote:

with WRs that are blanketed immediately despite other QBs having the same exact playstyle.

Other QBs do this as a weapon not as a response

In conclusion, CJ Stroud was right there lmao

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
#2 is the only one where he arguably throws over his own online lol

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Come back to this in three years but Bryce is going to be an all time bust and that’s not even accounting for Stroud at #2, book it.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I can’t wait to be talking about JJ McCarthy next year like we are talking about Bryce right now. The league is going to eat him up lol.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

IcePhoenix posted:

Probably also not picking him first overall.

Like if Bryce had gone even 5 picks lower (e: and also not cost his team another high first round pick and WR1) I'm not sure any of us would be as critical as we are.

I think you said picks instead of rounds

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There’s certainly some truth to that but by the same token those highly drafted QBs are going to the worst teams in the league which makes it much harder to succeed. I doubt Lamar would have done as well if he’d been taken by the Bears. Brock Purdy has certainly benefitted from landing in an amazing situation and having low expectations. Jordan Love got to sit for 3 years and has certainly benefitted from an organization that has been pretty good for like 40 years now.

So maybe drafting a midget QB, from the school that has superior talent everywhere, as the number 1 pick was insanely stupid and has already ruined any chance the guy had of being good (which was already low because he’s a midget) by virtue of that being a self-fulfilling prophecy. Bryce is already cooked.

Anyway this is all ignoring the pick right behind him elevating a last place team to the division title.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Kirios posted:

That’s a little revisionist history - the Texans WR core was seen as bad if not worse than the Panthers’ going into the year. No one even knew who Nico Collins really was.

Stroud elevated that group (And had immediate rapport with Tank Dell).

What y’all are saying about Bryce Young? About how the Panthers were setting him up to fail? The same exact things were said about the Texans and Stroud.

Ding ding.

The Stroud / Dell connection is legit heartwarming.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Alaois posted:

personally i think if a quarterback drops the ball on the ground when he gets hit, its maybe a little bit of his fault

Not if he’s a tiny man, that’s the Maker’s

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

AndrewP posted:

I wasn't just talking about literal arm angles, I'm talking about ability to throw quickly, accurately and hard while on the move. as in that thing infielders do a lot

Mahomes was a pitcher

I guess his brother is a catcher????

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Imagine picking Bryce Young before CJ “Playoff Guy” Stroud.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
The Bryce pick is funny by itself, but CJ doing this in the playoffs is just :laugh:

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

FizFashizzle posted:

Not that it should matter at all but I understand how someone like tepper could have been put off by speaking with CJ stroud.

Conversely I can see how Bryce’s insincere corporate bullshit would have gone straight to his heart.

I posted that Stroud’s dreads probably affected his draft stock because nfl owners and execs are stupid and I got yelled at a bit, watch out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Stroud & Love are gonna enter Top 10 QB debates during the off-season and I am all for it. I also believe Bryce Young can turn it around and that Anthony Richardson could break out assuming he doesn't injure himself again.