Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Mac Jones sucks balls. Start Zappe. He's not a better passer but at least he can move a bit in the pocket and I don't want to punch his stupid face.

AndrewP posted:

Hoooooo boy, so far this thread is (in my opinion) severely underrating Trevor Lawrence who is far and away the best on this list followed by Purdy and Stroud

Even excusing the Meyer year, TLaw has been very mediocre and generally inconsistent from game to game and half to half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

I wouldn't go so far to say Lawrence has been "mediocre" but I feel like if he switched draft positions with Purdy we'd be talking about the two QBs very differently.

I think you're underselling Purdy's decision making and accuracy.

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

I think you interpreted my point backwards. If Purdy was drafted in the first round, there'd be way more fanfare about him winning every game he's played and having no turnovers this season. There wouldn't be nearly as many dismissive "yeah but he's driving a Ferrari" comments.

People would be thrilled with TLaw in the 7th but no one would place him in the Allen/Burrow/Herbert tier.

Oh yeah I did.

Purdy is just a reminder that the most important factor for a QB's success is does he know where to throw the ball and can he reliably place it there. Everything else is secondary.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

If you look at just stats Jimmy G looks like one of the best quarterbacks to ever play.

Supporting context is important to consider.

Purdy has incredible supporting talent on both sides of the ball and one of the very best offensive coaches in football. No poo poo he’s producing.

If you out Lawrence in that situation then he does better than Purdy.

TLaw repeatedly fails to make some of the easiest touch throws in existence and quite often makes completely boneheaded decisions. I just don't see it.

Nov 6, 2002

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I don’t think it’s literally plug and play but I think it is about as plug and play as could plausibly exist for the nfl. It’s just a terrific situation for a qb.

I agree Purdy is probably better than Jimmy G.

Probably? lol

Nov 6, 2002

I dunno if Purdy could survive on the Bears though. At least Fields can do that.

Nov 6, 2002

Doltos posted:

There's so many parroted stupid poo poo with the draft every single year because it's a spectacle now. You can probably bingo card the draft thread.

What would the Doltos bingo card quote be?

Nov 6, 2002

Doltos posted:

Telling people obvious poo poo that good players deserve to be drafted high and the logo on your helmet in college doesn't dictate your future, common sense poo poo that is somehow lost on morons that afk post draft pundit opinions

ok but that won't fit on a bingo card

Nov 6, 2002

Anderson Koopa posted:

I was curious about how Mac Jones compared to Zach Wilson. The numbers are fairly close all things considered.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/stats/mac-jones-zach-wilson.php

What's amazing about Jones is each season and thru each game he gets continually gets worse. I think he actually peaked like mid season of his rookie year. By the end of the year he won't even be able to field a snap.

Nov 6, 2002

Was he injured in college too?

Nov 6, 2002

A lesson almost every new owner needs to learn: hire competent football people, let them make the decisions. Some owners never learn the first part, and others can never seem to hire the right people.

I suppose it can be hard to resist playing armchair GM with your $2B toy.

Nov 6, 2002

I went back and watched the whole Houston game via condensed - admittedly the first whole Houston game I've seen this season - and the thing that really stood out to me was the level of protection Stroud was getting. He had plenty of time to sit in the pocket and survey practically all his reads on nearly every snap. I wasn't really blown away with anything he did until late in the third quarter. You give that level of protection to any above average QB and they're going to perform well.

Nov 6, 2002

AndrewP posted:

The Ravens in 2014 but they had literally Gary Kubiak installing and coaching it

The 2022 Patriots had Matt Patricia try it lol.

Nov 6, 2002

Doltos posted:

The Texans were supposed to be the cupcake schedule. They're playing out of their minds and Stroud looks completely legit. He's got the anticipation of Drew Brees and the body of some random guy off the street but the arm of a hawk and I lost the trail

howl of the wolf?

Nov 6, 2002

R.D. Mangles posted:

Here's my 100% reliable scouting report on roklokie QBs: whoever the bears pick will suck rear end.

what would have happened to stroud if he were on the bears?

Nov 6, 2002

Pain of Mind posted:

I remember saying Zach Wilson will bust because he has Jimmy Clauson face. I do not even know how to quantify that, but there is a face that makes you bad at football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWxowlLV3QU

Nov 6, 2002

Alaois posted:

wrong

this man is only 3 years older than Drake Maye

Anderson Koopa posted:

Guy looks like he could be off fighting in World War 2 or something.

Nov 6, 2002

DeimosRising posted:

If Purdy had a more handsome or older looking face, or was slightly taller but absolutely nothing else changed about his game or results, he would be taken much more seriously as a candidate

this is my theory on why herbert is so overrated

Nov 6, 2002

Bryce just looks so out of place on a football field. Not just physically. I mean spiritually too. He looks and plays like he's scared shitless.

Nov 6, 2002

It's total BS that Stroud and Dell are injured.

Nov 6, 2002

Shinji2015 posted:

Much like Bryce misses receivers

It's hard to crane your neck up that high.

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

He is a pampered rich kid who’s spent his life in invitational qb camps, elite prep high schools, and Alabama. He’s always been surrounded by the best players and coaches. He’d lost like three games ever and and has never been challenged because of how good his teams were/

lol this is like the majority of professional quarterbacks drafted high

Nov 6, 2002

Relentlessboredomm posted:

ive met Fiz, he would look less out of place on the football field than loving Bryce

Size wasn't the kettle he meant.

Nov 6, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

It's a below-average o-line!

Disagree there. Have you seen the state of oline play in the league?

Nov 6, 2002

I don't care what PFF says, the eye test says that they are better than average.

Nov 6, 2002

epic bacon posted:

the MVP is an extremely stupid award

people literally vote on who they think is "most valuable" to a team, despite that not being a real metric that you can possibly measure. it's clear the intent of the award from the beginning was to award it to the player who had the best season, but obviously that's morphed big time to this weird place it's at now to where it can only be given to quarterbacks

but man how stupid of a discussion is it that we can say Brock Purdy is really good...but what if he misses a game and his backup plays well. that means he's actually not that good? but what if his backup plays poorly, that means he's actually really good? because he wasn't initially as valuable as we thought because his backup is good? bizarre scenarios that have nothing to do with the play of the player in question.

ultimately the award just needs to be given to the player that stands out the most any given season, the one who elevates himself above the rest. i absolutely do not care if Brock Purdy is not technically the "most valuable" on his team....is he playing at a level beyond his peers? is Tyreek Hill doing the same? what about Micah Parsons? Trent Williams? these are the discussions we need to have

I agree with all of this and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Nov 6, 2002

The biggest difference is the plays Purdy doesn't make. Like throwing a dumbass pick into double coverage with the lead and three minutes left in the game.

Nov 6, 2002

Joe Flacco MVP, there I said it.

Nov 6, 2002

The Bears should absolutely keep Fields, 1000%, I say this with no self-serving interests.

Nov 6, 2002

What an indictment of Bowles.

Nov 6, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Even if they don’t play him they’re not going to cut him. He’d get traded or kept on as a backup.

Cards cut Rosen. Hard to move on from a guy when he's still on your team. Ask the Jets.

Nov 6, 2002

Woah. How could I forget about that highway robbery.

Nov 6, 2002

I think it's overwhelmingly likely that Bryce is a lost cause. But the rest of the team is awful too and unless they have a miracle plan to acquire a capable starter they might as well run him back to either improve or wash out completely. In the meantime restock the rest of the team and look towards '25.

Nov 6, 2002

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Should he have been? I don’t think so Tim.

If the Panthers didn't draft him where would he have gone?

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

Just don't do what the Jets did and force the team to roll with an-almost-certain bust with no viable escape hatch.

I think the difference is the Panthers are not expecting to compete for the division next year.

Nov 6, 2002

I wouldn't count on Thielen for anything at his age, even after this season.

Nov 6, 2002

Just imagine Bryce in a Martz offense.

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

I guess it depends on how you define "bounce back," but there really aren't many QBs with terrible rookie seasons that become solid starters or better. This comes up every offseason and you can't get through one hand until you're starting to count QBs that were drafted nearly two decades ago.

That was my thought as well. Who are all these great QB's that had disastrous rookie seasons? And please don't tell me Peyton Manning.

Nov 6, 2002

Doltos posted:

You're not allowed to say Peyton Manning even though he's an example? That's kind of selective bias right there.

List of QBs that had a near statistical season as Bryce their rookie year or way worse that are starting right now:

Jared Goff
Josh Allen
Matthew Stafford
Jalen Hurts
Geno Smith
Kirk Cousins
Joe Flacco
Ryan Tannehill

Should I keep going or is this going to change your mind at all?

Eh, I feel like this is slightly disingenuous because for someone who loves to watch film and talk about actually watching players play as much as you do, you really think their performances were on par with Young's?

I don't recall any of those guys looking as absolutely awful, hopeless, and completely out of place in the NFL like Young has this season, do you?

Nov 6, 2002

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I’m going to leave aside my usual Trevor Bust stuff and say this, he cost them a playoff spot by trying to play hurt. He had the ankle thing, the concussion thing, and the shoulder thing, he really should have tried to sit instead of rushing back from the first two. Now who can say if it was him rushing back or the team rushing him back but it was poo poo decision making regardless.

He was touted as the latest “generational” prospect and he just isn’t that. He’s baseline play with the capacity to have consistently good stretches and great individual games but he’s not elite by any means.

On that note can we please retire the phrase generational because it’s become absolutely meaningless when it’s applied to a different rookie QB every other season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Harlock posted:

All time bust Zach Wilson was still a starter by year 3

No no, this was going to be a redshirt year.