Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Purdy’s receivers/tight ends are also hilariously better at catching than other teams. Purdy/SF leads the league in lowest drop rate at an unbelievable 2.0%. 2nd place is 3.5%. League median is around 4.7%. The gap between first place (Purdy) and second place is bigger than the gap between second and twenty-first.

Yeah it's pretty impressive, he throws such a perfect spiral and drops passes straight into his receiver's bread basket, it's practically impossible to drop

E: seriously though, drop rate is such a stupid thing to hold against him. Niners are #4 in drops in the first half of last season with the same scheme and basically same receivers. Deebo in that period had a drop rate of 11%! The quality of the throws makes a difference in how catchable they are

https://x.com/reinhardNFL/status/1590726573539352576?s=20

Papercut fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like people are overhyping Purdy hard which is silly. He’s fine he’s doing good in a good situation. As a fan of the team you should be content with that as that is very very hard to get

I'm definitely hyped on Purdy cause he's legit great but I would also be very happy with him not winning MVP, keep that chip on his shoulder

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nodoze posted:

In zero order.. Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Dak, Stroud, Hurts, Lamar, Allen, Cousins, Lawrence, Stafford, Tua

That is more than ten but I think all those guys can do what Purdy is doing right now, or better for some, if you dropped them on the 49ers. Again, that doesn't mean Purdy sucks but he's not like a top 5 QB in the NFL either. You could quibble about Stroud because of the body of work, but it's not like Purdys is huge either.

Thinking about this post right now

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

He's got a soft lamp of an arm

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
PFF has them as the #20 o line in the league, with yes their run blocking being much better than their protection

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The new QB School video has some nice Niner o-line samples, specifically these timestamps lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J_f-ixz720&t=744s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J_f-ixz720&t=1519s

That second one is such an "oh no"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Co sign

High time a non QB won it in a down year for passing stats.

Put it this way: if you're the SF GM, would you rather lose Purdy or CMC?

You would absolutely rather lose CMC are you kidding. QB is a tremendously harder position to fill

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

wandler20 posted:

You lose CMC and it's not even close. All you have to do is look at the NFC Championship Game last year.

Or look at the trade value CMC just had a year and a half ago, vs the cost teams pay to move up even a couple spots for an unproven commodity in the draft (like say, idk, Trey Lance).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Just food for thought:

Another way to look at it, is there a team where CMC wouldn't walk in tomorrow and supplant the starter?

Can you say the same about Purdy?

That's a good argument for all-pro at a position but doesn't seem to have much to do with MVP?

I think if you actually told the Niners they were gonna lose one starter for the rest of the season and could pick which one, the only one where that would even make them pause for a second would be Trent Williams vs Purdy. Every other spot it's an easy call.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Has Darnold gotten snaps this year already?

He's played in 7 games iirc

E: 4/6 passing for 27 yards, on the year

Papercut fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 21, 2023

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is Brock Purdy playing at a level above his peers? No, obviously not. No one would reasonably argue he's a top 5 quarterback.

There are not 5 QBs playing better than him this year

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Joe Montana is the most QB name, confirmed goat

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't think Nick Mullens is gonna be the answer for anyone :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Congrats to Lamar on the MVP

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Looked like trash against the bears

And the Niners

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Wow it's pretty impressive Purdy was able to put up the gaudy stats he did without even a Pro Bowl WR. Really carrying that team.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you think that’s impressive, Lamar Jackson is going to win the MVP without any pro bowl skill position players at all!

That is impressive

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

I must have read it incorrectly, but my brain is still not parsing the statement correctly, even with bolded words.

Jared Goff was selected with the very first pick in the draft, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

That is how I interpreted "overall" as well, but what is confusing me is that that statement true is for the examples I gave as well, but I must be interpreting the statement incorrectly since everyone is telling me so (without any playoff qualifiers).

Matt Stafford was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 9/17/23.
Joe Burrow was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 10/29/23.
Trevor Lawrence was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 11/12/23.
Baker Mayfield was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 11/19/23.
Kyler Murray was selected with the very first pick, no one was selected before him that year. Brock Purdy was selected with the very last pick of the draft, no one was drafted after him that year. They played each other 12/17/23.

It literally happened 3 games in a row earlier this year, so I was originally just trying to see where the novelty of that happening this game is (outside of Lions in the championship game). The hard part is getting a last overall pick who plays multiple games/seasons, after that every game is breaking some record because there have been 6 Mr. Irrelevant QBs in the Superbowl Era, and he is the only one that has actually played as far as I can tell without doing any research on the other 5, though I guess Chad Kelly took a knee once.

I assume OP meant playoffs

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I would not be comfortable with Goff trying to play behind the Niners offensive line

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Here's one: Purdy would have been better off had the Niners taken literally anyone else with that last pick and brought him in as a UDFA. The odds of him making it out of camp as a UDFA would have been no different than as Mr. Irrelevant, but he's signing either a one year deal or at most a three-year deal for the absolute minimum, basically what he's making now. The biggest difference is that with a three-year deal, he'd be looking to renegotiate after this season, when he's coming off either an MVP win or at least a very high finish. Instead Purdy got drafted and signed a four-year deal for the minimum and thus has to wait until after the '24 season to cash in, with the risk that he could get hurt and/or turn back into a pumpkin.

That along with worries that another team would go after him in the UDFA market is Lynch's stated reason for drafting him

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The Niners are very much not a great pass blocking offensive line. Like not even a little bit, at all. They have exactly one positive lineman in pass protect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nodoze posted:

Matthew Stafford was good outside of LA, Packers have had multiple QBs under multiple coaches be good

What does this have to do with the current Packers QB under current Packers coach???