Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dutchy posted:

Yeah, that's how I feel, really both this week and last (vs CLE was just ugly). The mistakes were very costly but came in the context of ruining otherwise very sharp games. And in the long run, of course his outlook will depend on not ruining very sharp games with extremely dumb errors, but when you've got like a dozen pretty good starts and then you have a couple bad games that are 95% very good, you do not yet deserve to be beheaded in favor of Sam Darnold. He has acute gunslinger tendencies so I don't think there's any guarantee he doesn't dumbass INT his way to the bench eventually, but at the moment that there is even any discussion about this seems like a huge overreaction because we Niners fans are edgy about how poo poo they are right now.

Everyone else, of course, probably got sick of this guy like ten months ago and I'd be posting Brock Turdy too

He's definitely a gunslinger and that's probably always going to mean he has a few games where he just buries you with interceptions, but the couple of really bad ones lately seem like they were due to having his brain busted. hopefully he descrambles over the bye and they stop trying to play him when he has recently suffered a concussion going forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dutchy posted:

I don't know if it's draft status specifically but there is this range between "undeniable poo poo" and "40 TDs + Super Bowl MVP" where it's hard for QBs to shake first impressions. Like Ryan's 2016 and Staffords 2021 get treated really differently and I think a lot of it is because they spent their careers before that as the poster children for high-floor low-ceiling fringe Pro Bowlers and mega talent wasted by garbage franchise, respectively (also actually winning the Super Bowl helps). And I'm not even saying those assessments are wrong, necessarily, just that those kind of things tend to stick.

I don't think it's just draft position, though. Like if for some reason Kyle found himself fixing Bryce Young, it would immediately be regarded as the peak of Shanahan black magic, not so much if he took the helm for a Trevor Lawrence MVP.

the difference there is that lawrence has showed he's an acceptable nfl qb, so elevating him to great would be seen as unlocking him. if young has a decent year next year and then settles in as like qb 10-20 then the narrative on him will shift too. people like to pretend they aren't influenced by it but like 90% of posters' opinions are just the standard narratives from halftime shows and talking heads

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dutchy posted:

Yeah, I wasn't saying people would be wrong about that, just that first impressions are more important for this stuff than draft pedigree I think.

I agree but I think it’s hard to separate the two in a lot of cases. A lot of people believe Lawrence is going to be the guy he was projected as just because he was projected as that guy, and when he makes a great play (which he does a couple times every game) it’s very easy to interpret that as who he is, and when he makes a terrible play (which he does a couple times every game) it’s easy to write that off as a fluke. Even though he’s never had a sustained run of more than a few games playing up to his reputation.

Similarly even though Purdy was good right out of the gate and has never had a bad stretch of more than a couple games, he wasn’t supposed to be anyone so when he makes a great play (several times, every game) that’s a fluke, and when he makes a bad play (very rarely, sometimes not even every game) it’s proof he’s about to become the guy he was supposed to be. Confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance are powerful little bastards

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nervous posted:

That's not true. Some of us respect Cavauro's opinion.

Like me

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Master Stur posted:

If Purdy was a 1st round or 1st OVA pick he'd be the unquestionable MVP today. Likewise if Young was a 2nd round or later pick he'd be an unquestionable bust today.

If Purdy had a more handsome or older looking face, or was slightly taller but absolutely nothing else changed about his game or results, he would be taken much more seriously as a candidate

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Intruder posted:

"If he stays healthy" I say about my QB who couldn't stay healthy in college despite being the size of a linebacker and got hurt twice in less than three games

People buy lottery tickets

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Black Sunshine posted:

I agree with what you're saying , it's kind of an impossible situation. It's almost like QB salaries shouldn't count against the cap or should at least be their own separate cap numbers. It's just turbo hosed anymore and getting worse every year.

this would just create a situation where teams like the chiefs are unbeatable. sure it sucks to land in the middle zone with a decent qb making enough money to force cuts elsewhere, but the teams that benefit most from this kind of solution are the ones who have a genuine superstar qb

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Big Jesus posted:

I have a new quarterback and his name is Penix! Should see what he can do in training camp and preseason while our backup recovers from his Achilles injury.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I too have a new quarterback and I'm a Boliever in him!

Bo and Pe are both Nices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I am not going to give up on Bryce after learning about The Giant Slayer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_J._Flaherty)

i bet there were like 4000 vietcong his height or shorter and who won the freaking war huh?