Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
3rd year:

Mac Jones - poo poo and has always been poo poo. To be slightly more fair, he would be an acceptable backup. I do not see him as a long term starter in the league.

Justin Fields - A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. Kind of. Not the best passer but can hit occasionally. Very bad processor. Excellent runner of the football. Hard to separate his performance from the team's but he definitely is more of a wildcard type, maybe can win some games but his passing is at a low enough level that it will always be a roller coaster ride week to week.

Trey Lance - Always injured, horribly inexperienced, a very bad pick from top to bottom, insane the 49ers hosed up that badly yet still somehow lucked into a 7th round jackpot. Supposed to add value on the ground but really he was gangly, awkward, injured easily, and did not have a good feel for running the football. I don't blame him, but he never should've even been considered as a first round QB. I'm a big time Dak hater but I have no doubt that Dak is still way way better than Lance. Maybe eventually he'll develop into something but it seems pretty unlikely at this point.

Trevor Lawrence - Not the generational prospect he was touted as by some, in my opinion. Honestly, kind of average. Doesn't have a lot of touch on the ball, which is a common issue among most of these young QBs. Big arm, tall, can see the field easily, has some escapability. A talented young player to build around, but hasn't shown that he's franchise changing quite yet.

Zach Wilson - Very similar to Trey Lance in so many ways. Inexperienced, played at a lower level, only one good year against crap competition, loves mormon MILFs, shouldn't have ever been drafted in the first round. No future in the NFL.

2nd Year:

Kenny Pickett - Really thought this might be his breakout year, but he's been pretty disappointing so far. His main problem is just straight up missing throws. He does not put the ball in the right place, it kind of seems random where it ends up which is not great for a quarterback. Not totally given up on him but very much doubting that he will still be the top qb in Pittsburgh in a few years.

Sam Howell - I don't think he's been all that impressive, although he has demonstrated better accuracy than his fellow 2nd years ourside of Purdy. Has some wiggle and can pick up first downs on the ground. High variance play. Probably the second best in this group even so.

Brock Purdy - What more can you say about him, he's an absolute baller. Basically proves the fact that processing, preparation, feel, and accuracy can still make one a top tier quarterback even without elite size, speed, arm strength or other measureables.

Desmond Ridder - Has looked really, really poo poo. This past week against the Texans was by a longshot the best game of his career, but could very well have been more luck than anything. I'm not buying him at the moment.

Rookies (of note):

Anthony Richardson - Could potentially turn into something special. The string of injuries is very concerning, he won't last long as a starter if he's getting hurt almost every week. Apart from that he's just been okay. Hit some impressive passes, missed some others, showed a good deal of ability on the ground. A good fit for the Colts but he's just a rookie, we'll have to see how it goes with him.

CJ Stroud - I'm a huge Stroud fan, I mean the kid has been unbelievable to start his rookie year. What jumps off the screen is his anticipation, accuracy, and the arm strength to really rocket passes into tight windows over the middle. Set a record for most pass attempts to start career without a pick last week, despite it being a loss. He's elevated the Texans with his mere presence which is all you can ask of a rookie QB on a bad team.

Bryce Young - Struggling down in Carolina but I also see things I like. Love his quick overhand release, his accuracy has been strong even if he has been picked off by defenders he didn't realize were there. Needs to work on his pre-snap evaluation of the defense and his post-snap processing. Not a big fan of his casual dropback style, I think the team needs to work with him on being more crisp with his movements. The Panthers are an extremely bad team, they are doing very little to help him, but I think it's fair to say he's been the least impressive of the three so far. However I think he could absolutely turn out to be really good even if the rest of this season probably won't be amazing due to him being a rookie and what the team has put around him. And obviously there is his height to consider, which is likely making it even harder for him to succeed.

Misc:
Jordan Love - Not super impressed to be honest. Seems kind of like a slower but luckily more accurate Desmond Ridder. Which is fine I guess, but so far he hasn't looked like any kind of Aaron Rodgers replacement. Still, he's played decently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Purdy continues to get doubted, but that's normal. Things that shake up the NFL orthodoxy, like the last pick in a draft being better than the first pick in a draft, always take a few years to sink in.

Trevor has played well overall, but he doesn't have Purdy's accuracy or anticipation. He misses throws, not super frequently but enough so that you know there is real variance there. He's played like a slightly above average starter so far, which is fine but I expected more. I do not think he's the generational prospect he's been touted as his whole life basically. Still way better than the Jags have had in quite some time.

He's got the tools on his side, Purdy has the accuracy and anticipation, people can weight those as they please.

AndrewP posted:

I would be very psyched about Lawrence and Ridley

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1711733821748785232#m

The back shoulder and the touch deep ball were the only really impressive ones in here. The rest were pretty standard see it, throw it passes although they do show good arm strength of course. And I will say it looks like he played better in this game than he has for a while.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Here's my extremely dumb predictions for their first years:

Caleb: pretty drat good
Daniels: struggles in Washington, but his value on the ground and ability to distribute allows them to win a few more games than last year
Maye: flashes, but doesn't win a lot of games and makes some stupid mistakes in year one
JJ: doesn't play well
Penix: doesn't play that much, looks mid when he does
Nix: leads the broncos to exactly one more win than last year.

please quote this and humiliate me after the season. i would appreciate that