Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Still trying to reconcile my belief that Texas is not very good with a belief that a 12-1 conference championship season is plausible and a very premature worry about being left out of the playoff in that scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Still trying to reconcile my belief that Texas is not very good with a belief that a 12-1 conference championship season is plausible and a very premature worry about being left out of the playoff in that scenario

this is possible, but, tbqh, with the season UT has had, this would be dumb as hell. the B1G has a ton of frontloaded "competitive teams" sure, but like - Texas has had a stronger schedule than any of them. the Big 12 getting TCU last year should more than force getting UT this year

otoh, i'm gonna beat up the CFP folks if not. ur choice buddy

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The Dawgs are gonna do it

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lady Radia posted:

this is possible, but, tbqh, with the season UT has had, this would be dumb as hell. the B1G has a ton of frontloaded "competitive teams" sure, but like - Texas has had a stronger schedule than any of them. the Big 12 getting TCU last year should more than force getting UT this year

otoh, i'm gonna beat up the CFP folks if not. ur choice buddy

Undefeated UGA, UW, FSU and Mich/OSU and it’s the only move the Committee has. If Bama beats GA, FSU loses one with the backup or Oregon gets a CCG revenge win, then the Texas who beat Bama or Bama who are Bama debate of doom really kicks off.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
11/24: God Only Bless The Big Ten West

ACC

Bowl Eliigble Teams: 9 - Louisville, Florida State, North Carolina, Miami, Duke, Boston College, NC State, Clemson, Georgia Tech
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 2 - Pitt, Virignia
The Netherrealm: 3 - Virginia Tech (5-6, @ UVA), Syracuse (5-6, vs WF), Wake Forest (4-7, @CUSE)

Miami beats BC in a game that kinda somewhat determines bowl order, like BC was going to escape the Northeast, and that's it for ACC Friday action. FSU's the key one going tomorrow; Louisville shouldn't have any issues with a Kentucky that fell apart in the second half of the season and everyone else is deck chairs on the Titanic, but everyone and the committee is waiting to see how FSU does without Jordan Travis. Look stronk against a whatever Gator team and people might be willing to climb back onto the bandwagon. Struggle, and a whole lotta people are going to become Cardinal fans over the next week. The injury's already dropped FSU out of the top 4, meaning nothing less than 13-0 is going to get FSU into the playoff.

Also there's Hokies at Hoos and the Cuse/Wake semi Win'n'In, Cuse does get in with a victory while Wake's high enough in the APR Pile that they'd get in with a victory, helped by keeping Cuse out. So there's reason to care.

B12

Bowl Eligible Teams: 8 - Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, West Virginia, Iowa State, Texas Tech
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 4 - Cincinnati, Baylor, BYU, TCU, Houston
The Netherrealm: 2 - UCF (5-6, vs UH), BYU (5-6, @ OSU)

BYU and TCTexas' B12CG opponent is still to be determined and the conference is really hoping it's not the Sooners, but woe to the persons who put their faith into Okie Lite. Meanwhile, TCU's failure to upset Oklahoma ends their season, and I'm eliminating anyone who isn't in the Top 10 of the APR Pile, so that'll do it for Houston. UCF has a chance win or lose vs H-Town, though win is obviously preferred, while BYU needs the upset against the Pokes.

B1G

Bowl Eligible Teams: 8 - Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 3 - Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State
The NetherrealmThe Goddamn Big Ten West (and friend): 3 - Minnesota (5-6, vs. UW), Nebraska (5-7), Illinois (5-6, vs. NW)

Nebraska and Iowa gave us the SICKOS~! Game of the Year, if not the Decade, and thus the Huskers need a whole lotta luck to get in, if it's even mathematically possible at this point. Minnesota's going to be bowling unless the cards go complete against them and if that's the case, it's only going to be eligible teams. Illinois needs to beat Northwestern or that's it. Sparty's done and thus most likely sending Penn State to a NY6 Bowl.

P12

Bowl Eligible Teams: 7 - USC, Washington, Oregon State, Oregon, Utah, UCLA, Arizona
Bowl Ineliigble Teams: 3 - Arizona State, Stanford, Colorado
The Netherrealm: 2 - Cal (5-6, @ UCLA), Washington State (5-6, @ UW)

Oregon State is a good team who had the misfortune of having two of the best teams in the country right at the end of their schedule. Calling Colorado done even before they lose to Utah tomorrow. Cal needs the win tomorrow most likely to get in, Wazzu needs the upset of upsets.

SEC

Bowl Eliigble Teams: 9 - Georgia, Missouri, Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Auburn
Bowl Ineliigble Teams: 2 - Vanderbilt, Arkansas
The Netherrealm: 3 - Florida (5-6, vs FSU), South Carolina (5-6, vs. CLEM), Mississippi State (5-7)

The weirdness the Egg Bowl blessed us with this Thanksgiving was a mediocre, low scoring affair. #CLANGA could be the first team off the APR Pile is things go their way, 4th if things don't. I think they'll be bowling but it's not a guarantee at this point. Gata and Gamecock need good things to go their way, things more than they deserve.

American

Bowl Eligible Teams: 4 - Tulane, SMU, Memphis, UTSA
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 6 - East Carolina, Charlotte, UAB, North Texas, Tulsa, Temple, FAU
The Netherrealm: 4 - South Florida (5-6, vs. CHA), Rice (5-6, vs. FAU), Navy (5-5, @ SMU)

Eliminating FAU as they aren't at the top of the APR Pile. Unless a bowl is willing to wait for the winner of Army/Navy, Middies most likely need to beat SMU tomorrow to get that sixth win and clinch a spot. At least that's the vibe from people who get paid to do this kind of poo poo and not give it away for free on a dead gay comedy internet message board; I personally could see one of the military-themed bowls holding a spot for the winner of 'Murica's game. On the less flag-humping side, USF needs the win of Charlotte which they should get; Rice's win over FAU isn't as guaranteed but their position on the APR Pile means a bowl should be in the Krispy's future.

C-USA

Bowl Eliigble Teams: 3 - Liberty, New Mexico State, Western Kentucky
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 7 - Jacksonville State, Sam Houston State, Louisiana Tech, UTEP, FIU, MTSU

FIU/MTSU aren't high enough in the APR Pile to keep them alive. It's three for C-USA, four once/if Jacksonville State gets their waiver.

Independents

Bowl Eligble Teams: Notre Dame
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 1 - UMass, UConn
The Netherrealm: 1 - Army (5-6, vs. NAVY)

What I said about Navy extends to Army as well, with the caveat that any and all 6-6 teams would have to be picked ahead of Army.

MAC

Bowl Eliigble Teams: 5 - Miami, Toledo, Ohio, Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 6 - Akron, Kent State, Ball State, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Western Michigan
The Netherrealm: 1 - Northern Illinois (5-6, @ KENT)

Eastern wins, Central/Wesern lose, and thus we're down to NIU at Kent State for the MAC and bowls. I saw where Bill Connelly had Kent State as the worst D1 team in his latest rankings, even worse than some D2 teams, so I feel safe in saying the Huskies are going to a bowl this season.

MWC

Bowl Eligible Teams: 7 - Air Force, Fresno State, UNLV, Wyoming, Boise State, San Jose State, Utah State
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 4 - Hawai'i, Nevada, New Mexico, San Diego State
The Netherrealm: 1 - Colorado State (5-6, @ UH)

Utah State needs every second to survive New Mexico and earn their bowl bid. Colorado State shouldn't need as tough a time at Hawai'i, plus the weather should be a lot nicer.

Sun Belt

Bowl Eligible Teams: 8 - Georgia State, Troy, Georgia Southern, Texas State, Coastal Carolina, App State, Arkansas State
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 3 - James Madison, Southern Miss, Louisiana-Monroe
The Netherrealm: 3 - Louisiana (5-6, vs ULM), Old Dominion (5-6, vs GAST), Marshall (5-6, vs. ARKST),

Sun Belt didn't play mid-week? That seems wrong, somehow.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Playoff

Sugar Bowl: #1 Georgia (SEC Champ) vs. #4 Texas (Big 12 Champ)
Rose Bowl: #2 Ohio State (Big Ten Champ) vs. #3 Oregon (Pac-12 Champ)

As of now I stand by what I've said. If we survive Ohio State/Michigan, we'll evaluate from there.

NY6 Bowls

Cotton Bowl: Florida State vs. Missouri
Peach Bowl: Alabama vs. Penn State
Orange Bowl: Louisville vs. Michigan
Fiesta Bowl: Washington vs. Tulane

Missouri crushes Arkansas and Penn State blanks Sparty, all but locking up NY6 bowls for them. Tulane clinches a spot in the 'Murica championship game, opponent TBD. Other than Kentucky beating Louisville or the Gators beating the Noles, this looks to be the lineup for the NY6 bowls, exact order TBD.

And the rest:

pre:
Date	Time (EST)	Game	                           Site			                                        Affiliations                 Projection
Dec. 16	11:00 a.m.	Bahamas Bowl	                   Jerry Richardson Stadium Charlotte, North Carolina	        C-USA vs. MAC                Liberty vs. Toledo
Dec. 16	2:15 p.m.	New Orleans Bowl	           Caesars Superdome New Orleans, Louisiana	                C-USA vs. Sun Belt           New Mexico State vs. Troy
Dec. 16	3:30 p.m.	Cure Bowl	                   Exploria Stadium Orlando, Florida			        Group of Five conferences    James Madison* vs. UCF
Dec. 16	5:45 p.m.	New Mexico Bowl	                   University Stadium Albuquerque, New Mexico		        Group of Five vs. MWC        Jacksonville State* vs. Boise State
Dec. 16	7:30 p.m.	LA Bowl	                           SoFi Stadium Inglewood, California			        MWC vs. Pac-12               UNLV vs. UCLA
Dec. 16	9:15 p.m.	Independence Bowl	           Independence Stadium Shreveport, Louisiana			Big 12 vs. Pac-12            Kansas vs. Rice
Dec. 18	2:30 p.m.	Myrtle Beach Bowl	           Brooks Stadium Conway, South Carolina	                Group of Five conferences    Louisiana vs. Minnesota*
Dec. 19	9:00 p.m.	Frisco Bowl	                   Toyota Stadium Frisco, Texas		                        Group of Five conferences    Colorado State vs. Texas State
Dec. 21	8:00 p.m.	Boca Raton Bowl	                   FAU Stadium Boca Raton, Florida			        Group of Five conferences    Eastern Michigan vs. Georgia State
Dec. 22	6:30 p.m.	Gasparilla Bowl	                   Raymond James Stadium Tampa, Florida		                Group of Five vs. SEC        Miami vs. Georgia Southern
Dec. 23	12:00 p.m.	Birmingham Bowl	                   Protective Stadium Birmingham, Alabama			Group of Five vs. SEC        Syracuse vs. Old Dominion
Dec. 23	12:00 p.m.	Camellia Bowl	                   Cramton Bowl Montgomery, Alabama	                        Group of Five conferences    Northern Illinois vs. South Alabama
Dec. 23	3:30 p.m.	Armed Forces Bowl	           Amon G. Carter Stadium Fort Worth, Texas	                Group of Five conferences    Army/Navy vs. Arkansas State
Dec. 23	3:30 p.m.	Famous Idaho Potato Bowl           Albertsons Stadium Boise, Idaho	                        MAC vs. MWC                  Miami Ohio vs. San Jose State
Dec. 23	7:00 p.m.	68 Ventures Bowl	           Hancock Whitney Stadium Mobile, Alabama                      Group of Five vs. Sun Belt   Western Kentucky vs. Coastal Carolina 
Dec. 23	7:30 p.m.	Las Vegas Bowl	                   Allegiant Stadium Paradise, Nevada		                Big Ten vs. Pac-12           Rutgers vs. USC
Dec. 23	10:30 p.m.	Hawaii Bowl	                   Clarence T. C. Ching Athletics Complex Honolulu, Hawaii	MWC vs. AAC or C-USA         Air Force vs. SMU
Dec. 26	2:00 p.m.	Quick Lane Bowl	                   Ford Field Detroit, Michigan			                MAC vs. Big Ten              Bowling Green vs. Utah State
Dec. 26	5:30 p.m.	First Responder Bowl	           Gerald J. Ford Stadium University Park, Texas                Group of Five conferences    West Virginia vs. App State
Dec. 26	9:00 p.m.	Guaranteed Rate Bowl	           Chase Field Phoenix, Arizona			                Big 12 vs. Big Ten           Texas Tech vs. Fresno State
Dec. 27	2:00 p.m.	Military Bowl                      Navy–Marine Corps Memorial Stadium Annapolis, Maryland	ACC vs. AAC                  Duke vs. UTSA     
Dec. 27	5:30 p.m.	Duke's Mayo Bowl	           Bank of America Stadium Charlotte, North Carolina		ACC vs. SEC                  Georgia Tech vs. Tennessee
Dec. 27	8:00 p.m.	Holiday Bowl	                   Petco Park San Diego, California			        Pac-12 vs. ACC               Oregon State vs. Clemson
Dec. 27	9:00 p.m.	Texas Bowl	                   NRG Stadium Houston, Texas			                Big 12 vs. SEC               Kansas State vs. Kentucky
Dec. 28	11:00 a.m.	Fenway Bowl	                   Fenway Park Boston, Massachusetts		                AAC vs. ACC                  Memphis vs. Boston College
Dec. 28	2:15 p.m.	Pinstripe Bowl	                   Yankee Stadium The Bronx, New York		                ACC vs. Big Ten              North Carolina vs. Maryland
Dec. 28	5:45 p.m.	Pop-Tarts Bowl	                   Camping World Stadium Orlando, Florida		        ACC vs. Big 12               Notre Dame vs. Oklahoma
Dec. 28	9:15 p.m.	Alamo Bowl	                   Alamodome San Antonio, Texas			                Big 12 vs. Pac-12            Oklahoma State vs. Arizona
Dec. 29	12:00 p.m.	Gator Bowl	                   TIAA Bank Field Jacksonville, Florida		        ACC vs. SEC                  NC State vs. Texas A&M
Dec. 29	2:00 p.m.	Sun Bowl	                   Sun Bowl El Paso, Texas			                ACC vs. Pac-12               Virginia Tech vs. Utah
Dec. 29	3:30 p.m.	Liberty Bowl	                   Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium Memphis, Tennessee		Big 12 vs. SEC               Iowa State vs. USF
Dec. 30	2:00 p.m.	Music City Bowl	                   Nissan Stadium Nashville, Tennessee			        Big Ten vs. SEC              Northwestern vs. Auburn
Dec. 30	4:30 p.m.	Arizona Bowl	                   Arizona Stadium Tucson, Arizona			        MAC vs. MWC                  Ohio vs. Wyoming
Jan. 1	12:00 p.m.	ReliaQuest Bowl	                   Raymond James Stadium Tampa, Florida			        SEC vs. Big Ten              LSU vs. Wisconsin
Jan. 1	1:00 p.m.	Citrus Bowl	                   Camping World Stadium Orlando, Florida                       Big Ten vs. SEC              Iowa vs. Ole Miss
Update of the APR Pile:

-Minnesota (5-6, vs WIS)
-Wake Forest (4-7, vs CUSE)
-Rice (5-6, vs FAU)
-Mississippi State (5-7)
-UCF (5-6, vs HOU)
-South Carolina (5-6, vs. CLEM)

I don't think we're going to need more than five teams off the APR Pile, so removing everyone after South Carolina since Wake would be eliminated with a loss to Syracuse. Thus, some like Cal now need to win to be in. For me, we end up three shy, so after JMU/Jacksonville State get theirs only Minnesota come off the top of the APR pile. I've got Cuse beating Wake Forest and Rice beating FAU, so after them would be Mississippi State. From there, I have UCF beating Houston and South Carolina losing to Clemson, so three deep would mean the Gamecocks but I don't think we get there, but we shall see. It'll all really depend on how many come out of the Fun Belt.

Another run at this tomorrow and then it's onto Championship Week.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
11/25: Lights Out on Pac-12 After Dark

ACC

Bowl Eliigble Teams: 11 - Louisville, Florida State, North Carolina, Miami, Duke, Boston College, NC State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Syracuse
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 2 - Pitt, Virignia, Wake Forest

In good news, Hokies beat the Hoos and Cuse downs Wake to give the ACC 11 bowl teams, most among the P5 teams. The less good news is Louisville's loss to Kentucky and FSU not looking great against a Florida team that was hell-bent on self-destructing as hard as humanly possible. I'd have to imagine that Louisville is going to be favored in the ACCCG, even if FSU jumps up to 4th in the penultimate rankings. Cards are locked into the Orange no matter what; either they beat FSU and are the ACC Champs or FSU is 13-0 and headed to the Playoffs, at which point Louisville takes the ACC'd Orange Bowl spot. So they have that going for them, which is nice.

B12

Bowl Eligible Teams: 9 - Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, West Virginia, Iowa State, Texas Tech, UCF
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 5 - Cincinnati, Baylor, BYU, TCU, Houston, BYU

Horns and Okie Lite for the B12 crown, and we'll see if the conference leans on the officials to see things in a certain light. I don't expect Texas to jump above 7, Ohio State isn't going to drop any further than 6th IMO, past both Pac-12 teams. It would be huge for Texas if they do get ranked higher than the Buckeyes on Tuesday, but a B12 title would vault them ahead of an 11-1 OSU team regardless.

B1G

Bowl Eligible Teams: 9 - Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota*
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 5 - Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Nebraska, Illinois

Everyone on the fence failed today, part of a Big Ten West parting gift. Minny is first off the APR Pile as Cal/Colorado State are playing as I write this, meaning they have some life left but not much.

Edit - CSU jobs at Hawai'i, Minnesota is our 82 and final bowl eligible team and will be the last team slotted in the field.

P12

Bowl Eligible Teams: 8 - USC, Washington, Oregon State, Oregon, Utah, UCLA, Arizona, Cal
Bowl Ineliigble Teams: 4 - Arizona State, Stanford, Colorado, Washington State

Cal leads UCLA as I write this, so enjoy this now since it'll be edited in a few hours here. Washington/Oregon is a Win'n'In for the Playoff, which the conference roundly deserves in their twilight hour.

Edit - I've seen enough. Cal is in, which knocks out Mississippi State.

SEC

Bowl Eliigble Teams: 9 - Georgia, Missouri, Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Auburn
Bowl Ineliigble Teams: 4 - Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, Mississippi State

If both Cal and Colorado State lose #CLANGA becomes our last bowl eligible team. Meanwhile, gently caress you Auburn. We were so close to a delicious Alabama loss in the Iron Bowl and you had to go and gently caress up 4th and 31. You can gently caress all the way off.

Edit - Cal's win eliminates Mississippi State. If Hawai'i beats CSU, that means only Minnesota will come off the top of the APR Pile.

American

Bowl Eligible Teams: 6 - Tulane, SMU, Memphis, UTSA, South Florida, Rice
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 6 - East Carolina, Charlotte, UAB, North Texas, Tulsa, Temple, FAU
The Netherrealm: 1 - Navy (5-6, vs ARMY)

USF/Rice win their winnable games and give the 'Murica a half dozen of teams, plus Tulane in position to go B2B NY6 with a win over SMU next week. Navy did get sunk by the Pony Express which leaves them in limbo; people smarter than I have them on the outside due to scheduling needs but I have a hard time thinking that a 5-7 Minny/CLANGA getting in over a 6-6 Middies team. Something will be decided next week, but either Armed Forces/Military bowls seem like they'd be willing to hold a spot open for obvious reasons, but I'm not ESPN so I don't decide how the bowls work.

C-USA

Bowl Eliigble Teams: 4 - Liberty, New Mexico State, Western Kentucky, Jacksonville State*
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 5 - Sam Houston State, Louisiana Tech, UTEP, FIU, MTSU

Jacksonville State gets their waiver and will play their first bowl game in program history, good for them. Liberty remains on the catbird seat if SMU beats Tulane and the committee gives credit to a 13-0 season, even if C-USA is hot garbage.

Independents

Bowl Eligble Teams: 1 - Notre Dame
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 2 - UMass, UConn
The Netherrealm: 1 - Army (5-6, vs. NAVY)

I feel the same about Army as I do Navy, but bowls don't care about my feelings. I wish they would :(

MAC

Bowl Eliigble Teams: 6 - Miami, Toledo, Ohio, Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 6 - Akron, Kent State, Ball State, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Western Michigan

NIU beats Kent State and is in, giving the MAC a 50/50 split of eligible teams.

MWC

Bowl Eligible Teams: 7 - Air Force, Fresno State, UNLV, Wyoming, Boise State, San Jose State, Utah State
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 5 - Hawai'i, Nevada, New Mexico, San Diego State, Colorado State

CSU trails Hawai'i as I write this, so like Cal enjoy this until the game goes final and I change it.

Edit - ooooh, that's a heartbreaker CSU. And now we wait and see who will actually play for the conference championship.

Sun Belt

Bowl Eligible Teams: 12 - Georgia State, Troy, Georgia Southern, Texas State, Coastal Carolina, App State, Arkansas State, Louisiana, Old Dominion, Marshall, James Madison*
Bowl Ineligible Teams: 2 - Southern Miss, Louisiana-Monroe

Give it up for the loving Fun Belt with the high score for bowl-eligible teams, especially with JMU getting their waiver! Everyone on the fence won today and enough teams were bad enough for JMU to make it an even dozen and 12 out of 14 in, which is freaking impressive for any conference, much less a P5 who have to survive non-con cash the check slates.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 26, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I enjoy these effort posts. Thank you.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

same. not sure if i will miss these posts or cfb more

that's not true it's cfb. but i will still miss these posts!!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Playoff

Sugar Bowl: #1 Georgia (SEC Champ) vs. #4 Texas (Big 12 Champ)
Rose Bowl: #2 Michigan (Big Ten Champ) vs. #3 Oregon (Pac-12 Champ)

NY6 Bowls

Cotton Bowl: Florida State vs. Missouri
Peach Bowl: Alabama vs. Penn State
Orange Bowl: Louisville vs. Ohio State
Fiesta Bowl: Washington vs. Tulane

I think this is it. Louisville beats FSU for the ACC title, but a 12-1 FSU still lands a NY6 bowl. Michigan to the playoff and Ohio State to the Orange. Otherwise, it's splittin the two SEC teams among the Cotton/Peach and figuring out who gets Tulane.

And the rest:

pre:
Date	Time (EST)	Game	                           Site			                                        Affiliations                 Projection
Dec. 16	11:00 a.m.	Bahamas Bowl	                   Jerry Richardson Stadium Charlotte, North Carolina	        C-USA vs. MAC                Liberty vs. Toledo
Dec. 16	2:15 p.m.	New Orleans Bowl	           Caesars Superdome New Orleans, Louisiana	                C-USA vs. Sun Belt           New Mexico State vs. Troy
Dec. 16	3:30 p.m.	Cure Bowl	                   Exploria Stadium Orlando, Florida			        Group of Five conferences    Georgia State vs. UCF
Dec. 16	5:45 p.m.	New Mexico Bowl	                   University Stadium Albuquerque, New Mexico		        Group of Five vs. MWC        Louisiana vs. Boise State
Dec. 16	7:30 p.m.	LA Bowl	                           SoFi Stadium Inglewood, California			        MWC vs. Pac-12               UNLV vs. UCLA
Dec. 16	9:15 p.m.	Independence Bowl	           Independence Stadium Shreveport, Louisiana			Big 12 vs. Pac-12            Kansas vs. Cal
Dec. 18	2:30 p.m.	Myrtle Beach Bowl	           Brooks Stadium Conway, South Carolina	                Group of Five conferences    Georgia Southern vs. Rice
Dec. 19	9:00 p.m.	Frisco Bowl	                   Toyota Stadium Frisco, Texas		                        Group of Five conferences    Utah State vs. Arkansas State
Dec. 21	8:00 p.m.	Boca Raton Bowl	                   FAU Stadium Boca Raton, Florida			        Group of Five conferences    Eastern Michigan vs. Old Dominion
Dec. 22	6:30 p.m.	Gasparilla Bowl	                   Raymond James Stadium Tampa, Florida		                Group of Five vs. SEC        Miami vs. Coastal Carolina
Dec. 23	12:00 p.m.	Birmingham Bowl	                   Protective Stadium Birmingham, Alabama			Group of Five vs. SEC        Marshall vs. Jacksonville State*
Dec. 23	12:00 p.m.	Camellia Bowl	                   Cramton Bowl Montgomery, Alabama	                        Group of Five conferences    Northern Illinois vs. South Alabama 
Dec. 23	3:30 p.m.	Armed Forces Bowl	           Amon G. Carter Stadium Fort Worth, Texas	                Group of Five conferences    West Virginia vs. Texas State
Dec. 23	3:30 p.m.	Famous Idaho Potato Bowl           Albertsons Stadium Boise, Idaho	                        MAC vs. MWC                  Miami Ohio vs. San Jose State
Dec. 23	7:00 p.m.	68 Ventures Bowl	           Hancock Whitney Stadium Mobile, Alabama                      Group of Five vs. Sun Belt   Western Kentucky vs. App State
Dec. 23	7:30 p.m.	Las Vegas Bowl	                   Allegiant Stadium Paradise, Nevada		                Big Ten vs. Pac-12           Northwestern vs. Utah
Dec. 23	10:30 p.m.	Hawaii Bowl	                   Clarence T. C. Ching Athletics Complex Honolulu, Hawaii	MWC vs. AAC or C-USA         Air Force vs. SMU
Dec. 26	2:00 p.m.	Quick Lane Bowl	                   Ford Field Detroit, Michigan			                MAC vs. Big Ten              Bowling Green vs. Minnesota*
Dec. 26	5:30 p.m.	First Responder Bowl	           Gerald J. Ford Stadium University Park, Texas                Group of Five conferences    Syracuse vs. James Madison*
Dec. 26	9:00 p.m.	Guaranteed Rate Bowl	           Chase Field Phoenix, Arizona			                Big 12 vs. Big Ten           Texas Tech vs. Fresno State
Dec. 27	2:00 p.m.	Military Bowl                      Navy–Marine Corps Memorial Stadium Annapolis, Maryland	ACC vs. AAC                  Duke vs. UTSA          
Dec. 27	5:30 p.m.	Duke's Mayo Bowl	           Bank of America Stadium Charlotte, North Carolina		ACC vs. SEC                  Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee
Dec. 27	8:00 p.m.	Holiday Bowl	                   Petco Park San Diego, California			        Pac-12 vs. ACC               Oregon State vs. North Carolina
Dec. 27	9:00 p.m.	Texas Bowl	                   NRG Stadium Houston, Texas			                Big 12 vs. SEC               Iowa State vs. Auburn
Dec. 28	11:00 a.m.	Fenway Bowl	                   Fenway Park Boston, Massachusetts		                AAC vs. ACC                  Memphis vs. Boston College
Dec. 28	2:15 p.m.	Pinstripe Bowl	                   Yankee Stadium The Bronx, New York		                ACC vs. Big Ten              Clemson vs. Rutgers
Dec. 28	5:45 p.m.	Pop-Tarts Bowl	                   Camping World Stadium Orlando, Florida		        ACC vs. Big 12               Notre Dame vs. Oklahoma State
Dec. 28	9:15 p.m.	Alamo Bowl	                   Alamodome San Antonio, Texas			                Big 12 vs. Pac-12            Oklahoma vs. Arizona
Dec. 29	12:00 p.m.	Gator Bowl	                   TIAA Bank Field Jacksonville, Florida		        ACC vs. SEC                  NC State vs. Texas A&M
Dec. 29	2:00 p.m.	Sun Bowl	                   Sun Bowl El Paso, Texas			                ACC vs. Pac-12               Georgia Tech vs. USC
Dec. 29	3:30 p.m.	Liberty Bowl	                   Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium Memphis, Tennessee		Big 12 vs. SEC               Kansas State vs. South Florida
Dec. 30	2:00 p.m.	Music City Bowl	                   Nissan Stadium Nashville, Tennessee			        Big Ten vs. SEC              Maryland vs. Kentucky
Dec. 30	4:30 p.m.	Arizona Bowl	                   Arizona Stadium Tucson, Arizona			        MAC vs. MWC                  Ohio vs. Wyoming
Jan. 1	12:00 p.m.	ReliaQuest Bowl	                   Raymond James Stadium Tampa, Florida			        SEC vs. Big Ten              LSU vs. Wisconsin
Jan. 1	1:00 p.m.	Citrus Bowl	                   Camping World Stadium Orlando, Florida                       Big Ten vs. SEC              Iowa vs. Ole Miss
James Madison and Jacksonville State each get in, and despite all of the worrying about how deep we'd need to go into the APR Pile in the end only Minnesota comes off the top. This assumes that Colorado State loses to Hawai'i; if they win they can go to the Quick Lane Bowl, so maybe they're better off losing tbh. Edit - I too would not want to go to Detroit in December CSU, I don't blame you at all.

I can't imagine any radical changes on Tuesday so instead I'll do one of my favorite what-if posts, where the poo poo hits the absolute fan and every upset comes to fruition, or as I like to call it, A-Pawwllllll-calypse Now.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 26, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Washington will be in the playoffs, not the dastardly Oregon

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
While I would love to see Texas Tech in Arizona, I just don't see them passing up WVU, who finished tied for 3rd with a 6-3 conference record, or a Kansas who is the same 5-4 as TTU, but 8-4 overall.

Fort Worth in the Armed Forces bowl is seeming like the most likely, right now, with the Independence in Shreveport also reaaaaaaally wanting TTU as the anchor team. Either one of those will be well attended due to TTU's strong metroplex fanbase, but obviously the 23rd is much preferred for the team thanks to the extra week's worth of practice time. But I don't know if they'll be able to justify jumping two 8-4 teams for a 6-6 team coming off of a 57-7 shellacking.

In the Big XII, TTU and UCF are the last two off the pile and so go into the selection of "open" bowl games. Of course, ESPN controls everything and want to put TTU in the Independence, Armed Forces, or even First Responder.

I'd also look for ESPN to make as many Big XII vs 4 corners matchups as possible. Arizona vs Oklahoma State in the Alamo (sending OU to play Notre Dame in the pop-tarts, which sounds like another ESPN move). If they can finagle things to have Utah in the Independence, they will.

e: I saw somewhere that the Armed Forces and First Responders bowls both jump the independence in bowl selection order when there are enough big xii schools. I didn't see if those two bowls selecting big XII schools were mutually exclusive, eg: only one could select a big xii school. The point about ESPN controlling everything stands here.

I'm also following if they give JMU a P5 opponent in their bowl game. These two could be a spot where JMU faces a Big XII school. The Camelia bowl is another possibility.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 28, 2023

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Washington will be in the playoffs, not the dastardly Oregon

Not so fast my friend!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Let's do the boring one first, If the Playoff Started Today, 11/28

Sugar Bowl: #1 Georgia (SEC Champ) vs. #4 Florida State (ACC Champ)
Rose Bowl: #2 Michigan (Big Ten Champ) vs. #3 Washington (Pac-12 Champ)

NY6 Bowls

Cotton Bowl: #7 Texas (Big 12 Champ) vs. #9 Missouri (At-Large)
Peach Bowl: #8 Alabama (At-Large) vs. #10 Penn State (At-Large)
Orange Bowl: #14 Louisville (ACC Rep) vs. #6 Ohio State (Highest ranked B1G/SEC rep)
Fiesta Bowl: #5 Oregon (At-Large) vs. #22 Tulane (Group of 5 Rep)

Basically, if the four undefeated conference champions win, they're in, as we all would expect. Washington/Oregon is a Win'n'In for the Playoff. Georgia/Alabama less so; we've already talked about the theory that if Michigan/Washington/FSU all win and Texas wins the B12, that should leave a 12-1 SEC Champ Alabama on the outside looking in, though that's not a guarantee. What is bad news for Texas/Bama is that Ohio State remains ranked above them, although that 13th *~d4t4 P01nT~* would certainly come into play if the Horns/Tide won and would be an easy jump over the idle Buckeyes. As such, Louisville is locked into the Orange win or lose, Ohio State's most likely locked in as their opponents unless Iowa shocks the loving world, Mizzou and the SEC title game loser are almost certainly in the Peach and potentially the Cotton, Tulane most likely won't make a repeat trip to the Cotton so Fiesta against what should be the Pac-12 loser and highest ranked non-Playoff team makes sense, and then it's determining if Texas has to leave the state or not. The only team that's not guaranteed to be here next weekend is Tulane and that'll teach them for leaving the SEC decades ago.

This is the boring one, the next one is the fun one.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So now this is what I project would happen if we had maximum chaos this weekend, or as I like to call it, A-Pawllllll-calypse Now. Here:

-#14 Louisville beats #4 Florida State for the ACC Championship
-#16 Iowa beats #2 Michigan for the Big Ten Championship
-#18 Oklahoma State beats #7 Texas for the Big 12 Championship
-#5 Oregon beats #3 Washington for the Pac-12 Championship (yes Oregon is favored but this gets rid of any undefeated teams)
-#8 Alabama beats #1 Georgia for the SEC Championship
-SMU beats #22 Tulane for the AAC Championship
-New Mexico State beats #24 Liberty for the C-USA Championship

MAC/MWC/Fun Belt Championship games don't matter for this purpose, but let's root for chaos anyway:

-Miami Ohio beats Toledo for the MAC Championship
-Boise State beats UNLV for the MWC Championship
-App State beats Troy for the Sun Belt Championship

So, this leaves us with the following:

-12-1 conference champs: Alabama, Oregon
-12-1 non-conference champs: Florida State, Georgia, Michigan, Washington
-11 win conference champs: Louisville, Iowa
-11 win non-conference champs: Ohio State, Texas

So here's the good/bad news: the only conference champ that's locked into a bowl if they don't make the Playoffs is ACC, hence why I've been saying that Louisville is Orange-bound no matter what happens Saturday. So even if Iowa and Okie Lite shock the world, they're not jumping all the way up into NY6 land.

Let's start with the Playoff and the easy two: Oregon and Bama. Each 12-1 conference champs, each took down a Top 4 undefeated team to win their conference. Oregon jumps four spots from #5 to #1 and goes to the Rose, Bama is top 4 but where I'm not so certain yet.

Looking at the remaining eight, Louisville and Iowa are 11-win conference champs but impossible to put in the Playoffs, so they're gone. Texas is 11-2, they're an easy Playoff elimination. That leaves five for two spots; FSU/UGA/Mich/UW/OSU. Let's break them down:

FSU: Best win: 9/3 vs. #5 LSU. Ranked teams beaten: 2 (#5 LSU/#16 Duke). Sararin: 12
Georgia: Best win: 11/11 vs. #9 Ole Miss. Ranked teams beaten: 4 (#20 Kentucky/#12 Mizzou/#9 Miss/#18 Tennessee). Sagarin: 3
Michigan: Best win: 11/25 vs. #2 Ohio State. Ranked teams beaten: 2 (#10 Penn St/#2 OSU). Sagarin: 1
Wash: Best win: 10/14 vs. #8 Oregon. Ranked teams beaten: 4 (#8 Oregon/#20 USC/#18 Utah/#11 Oregon St.). Sagarin: 13
Ohio State: Best win: #7 Penn St. Ranked teams beaten: 2 (#9 Notre Dame/#7 Penn State). Sagarin: 2

To me, the next one in is Georgia; #3 ranking, 4 ranked teams defeated, most coming down the stretch. FSU is the next elimination; only two ranked wins, one of which was the season opener, and the second lowest Sagarin among the last five.

So this now leaves Washington against the two Big Ten teams. Unfortunately for UW, I don't see the committee making this an all SEC vs. Pac-12 affair, whether it's deserved or not. For that reason, UW ends up on the outside. Michigan vs. Ohio State, H2H has to matter and thus we have our four:

Rose Bowl: #1 Oregon (12-1, Pac-12 Champs) vs. #4 Alabama (12-1, SEC Champs)
Sugar Bowl: #2 Georgia (12-1, At-Large) vs. #3 Michigan (12-1, At-Large)

It may not be fair putting both conference champs in against each other, but I have a hard time jumping Bama all the way from #8 to #2-3; no one outside of the top 6 at this point has made the Playoff, though we've never had a clusterfuck like this. And as much as I'd like to book a Big Ten/Pac-12 Rose and an all-SEC Sugar, I just can't. Ducks jump to first, Dawgs and Wolverines drop a spot and give us a rematch from two years ago, Bama goes from #8 to #4.

Now the NY6:

Cotton Bowl: Missouri (10-2, At Large) vs. Texas (11-2, At-Large)
Peach Bowl: Penn State (10-2, At-Large) vs. Florida State (12-1, At-Large)
Orange Bowl: Louisville (11-2, ACC Champs) vs. Ohio State (11-1, Highest Ranked B1G/SEC rep)
Fiesta Bowl: Washington (12-1, At Large) vs. SMU (11-2, Group of 5 Rep)

The easy one, again, is the Orange, with ACC Champ Louisville facing Ohio State, who'll probably end up #5 on Sunday regardless of what happens. Out west in the Fiesta is Washington against SMU, who ends up getting the G5 spot after the two ranked teams, Tulane and Liberty, both lose in their conference championships; New Mexico State and Boise State end up not getting the love over the Pony Express. Mizzou and Penn State didn't lose so they're in their respective bowls; 12-1 FSU isn't dropping that far so they end up in the Peach vs. the Nittany Lions. And then comes the last spot in the Cotton and whether I could move Okie Lite up that much and/or Texas down that much and what do we do with Iowa because they're ranked above the Pokes and beat a tougher team. What ends up saving the Horns is that all the major conferences have to be represented, which keeps Ole Miss out, and I can't move OSU all the way up past Texas. Now, Oklahoma is a different story, but a five-spot drop below four idle teams seems a little much to me. So, in the end, the chaos scenario just readjusts the deck chairs on the Titanic and the only real change comes from who lands the Ground of Five spot.

And, of course, the Playoff if started today and in chaos:

#5 Washington vs. #12 SMU, winner faces #4 Alabama
#6 Ohio State vs. #11 Oklahoma State, winner faces #3 Michigan
#7 Florida State vs. #10 Iowa, winner faces #2 Georgia
#8 Louisville vs. #9 Missouri, winner faces #1 Oregon

Because conference champs are in the Playoff field, that means Okie Lite and Iowa end up in and Texas/Penn State end up on the outside. Mizzou ranked above Penn State effectively makes them the last team in.

I'll do one last one Saturday, which a final pass through all the bowls, and then we're onto The University of Army vs. The University of Navy and all of the bowls.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 29, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I'd be legitimately upset if Tulane isn't selected for a NY6 bowl if they beat SMU. They won their bowl game last year and did about as well as anyone can do this year. I'd say if they get the win, they've absolutely earned the slot.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I'd be legitimately upset if Tulane isn't selected for a NY6 bowl if they beat SMU. They won their bowl game last year and did about as well as anyone can do this year. I'd say if they get the win, they've absolutely earned the slot.

There's no way they're not; the only other team in the conversation is Liberty and beating New Mexico State isn't going to overrule the Wave beating SMU.

Personal note I have a friend who works in Tulane athletics and the sob wouldn't send me a Cotton Bowl champs hat. If they win here I'll need to badger him for some kind of champ swag this time around.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

C. Everett Koop posted:

There's no way they're not; the only other team in the conversation is Liberty and beating New Mexico State isn't going to overrule the Wave beating SMU.

Personal note I have a friend who works in Tulane athletics and the sob wouldn't send me a Cotton Bowl champs hat. If they win here I'll need to badger him for some kind of champ swag this time around.

I'd guess at this point the Tulane-SMU winner gets the NY6 bid either way. If SMU has road wins over Memphis and Tulane that's probably enough to forgive their two losses to P5 opponents, relative to Liberty, who's barely played anyone inside the top 90 in SP+.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 29, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This was my feel for the playoff picture on Sunday morning, fwiw. I don't see much in the committee rankings that moves the needle. If everything goes chalk (based on betting lines, that is), I could see there being an Oregon-Texas debate for the last spot, but Oregon seems to have a lot going for it vis-a-vis its regular season dominance, the relative strength of the Pac-12 versus the Big 12, and the opportunity to avenge its one loss. The current committee rankings would seem to indicate they feel that way too, though I generally don't trust much they have to say before the final rankings.

Win and in, don't worry about the 1-4 order

1. Georgia (undefeated SEC Champ)
2. Michigan (undefeated Big Ten Champ)
2. Oregon-Washington winner (undefeated/1-loss Pac-12 Champ)
4. Florida State (undefeated ACC Champ)

Needs some help:
5. Texas (1-loss Big 12 Champ) - after a lot of arguing, Texas gets the benefit of the head-to-head win
6. Alabama (1-loss SEC Champ) - at this point, probably needs two of Texas, FSU, and Michigan to be upset to make it in

If they're upset in the championship game, need losses from Texas or FSU (or both) to get back in
7. Michigan (1-loss)
8. Georgia (1-loss)

Theoretically but not realistically in play, even if Florida State and Texas lose
Ohio State (1-loss)
Washington (1-loss)

Definitely Out
Florida State (1-loss)
Texas (2-loss)
Alabama (2-loss)

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 29, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Can't help but think the committee is praying that either Florida State or Texas loses (read: Florida State), as that really simplifies their decision-making.

SEC Champ (either team)
Michigan (win or lose)
Pac-12 Champ (either team)
Texas/Florida State (whichever doesn't lose)

If they both win, somebody (Texas, Oregon, possibly Alabama) is going to be a Tiffany-brand one-loss conference champ and get left out. Or maybe they just say "gently caress it, let's be legends" and leave out an undefeated Florida State, which is also an unappealing prospect.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

This was my feel for the playoff picture on Sunday morning, fwiw. I don't see much in the committee rankings that moves the needle. If everything goes chalk (based on betting lines, that is), I could see there being an Oregon-Texas debate for the last spot, but Oregon seems to have a lot going for it vis-a-vis its regular season dominance, the relative strength of the Pac-12 versus the Big 12, and the opportunity to avenge its one loss. The current committee rankings would seem to indicate they feel that way too, though I generally don't trust much they have to say before the final rankings.

Win and in, don't worry about the 1-4 order

1. Georgia (undefeated SEC Champ)
2. Michigan (undefeated Big Ten Champ)
2. Oregon-Washington winner (undefeated/1-loss Pac-12 Champ)
4. Florida State (undefeated ACC Champ)

Needs some help:
5. Texas (1-loss Big 12 Champ) - after a lot of arguing, Texas gets the benefit of the head-to-head win
6. Alabama (1-loss SEC Champ) - at this point, probably needs two of Texas, FSU, and Michigan to be upset to make it in

If they're upset in the championship game, need losses from Texas or FSU (or both) to get back in
7. Michigan (1-loss)
8. Georgia (1-loss)

Theoretically but not realistically in play, even if Florida State and Texas lose
Ohio State (1-loss)
Washington (1-loss)

Definitely Out
Florida State (1-loss)
Texas (2-loss)
Alabama (2-loss)

I agree with all of this except 1 loss Georgia. It's possible that a 1 loss Georgia brings 'bama in as the 3 seed and pushes FSU out so Georgia can take the 4 seed. I hope that this is not the case because that would be very bullshit. I do think a 1 loss Georgia is higher than a 1 loss Michigan in the pecking order.

There is a part of me that's rooting for the worlds worst, chalkiest playoff in the last year of the 4 team. Georgia, Michigan, UW, and FSU. 4 undefeated blue bloods playing in the last 4 team playoff. It's the scenario that ESPN dreamed up when they started killing off the bowl season.

I hate that part of me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I personally think Georgia-Michigan-Oregon-Texas is the most interesting possible playoff field, because I think it’s a rare one where everyone legitimately has a shot to win the whole thing. I don’t think there’s any potential matchup there where the betting line is more than 7-8 points. I don’t think the committee should screw over FSU to get that playoff, and if Washington just has Oregon’s number this year, then good on them, but that would be a hell of a playoff.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

I personally think Georgia-Michigan-Oregon-Texas is the most interesting possible playoff field, because I think it’s a rare one where everyone legitimately has a shot to win the whole thing. I don’t think there’s any potential matchup there where the betting line is more than 7-8 points. I don’t think the committee should screw over FSU to get that playoff, and if Washington just has Oregon’s number this year, then good on them, but that would be a hell of a playoff.

I'm fascinated by everyone being down on Washington. Is it because of style points? They've just barely beaten a bunch of teams?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

I'm fascinated by everyone being down on Washington. Is it because of style points? They've just barely beaten a bunch of teams?

Defense has always been a bit suspect and they just seem to be running out of gas overall. If they beat Oregon again I’d certainly see them in a different light.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kayakyakr posted:

Since the Oregon game, they've been squeaking by teams that Oregon is blowing out

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
To be specific, the offense has taken a nosedive since the Oregon game. Penix's accuracy is hosed and he's playing hero ball, his receivers except for Odunze haven't been able to get open consistently, and our starting RB has been running on one foot the last 2-3 weeks yet is the only one seeing the field. The playcalling has not adjusted for any of these factors.

The secondary has also been injured to hell since that game but that's not the most glaring issue. At this point I think most people want Oregon more because based on the last month Washington will get blown out by any team they'd face in the playoff.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

UW hasn't been showing dominance on the level that Oregon has, but they've almost always held the lead throughout their games this year. What UW has mostly shown is an inability to step on a team's throat and put them away. They were up 11 on Oregon with an opportunity to make it a three score game and couldn't take advantage, and similar things have happened in just about every game since Arizona. Just about every week I expect it to catch up with them and every week they find a way. It does seem that the losing team tends to have an advantage the second time around.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I'd love to see JMU in that NY6 slot over Tulane, but that's not going to happen. Also, I wouldn't want Penn State to play them

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1730297010119430359

One down, many more to go.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

kayakyakr posted:

Biggest beef with college sports is when your loss is one of the biggest factors in seeding or rankings. Washington and Oregon could both end up 12-1 but Oregon would be In the playoff since they won the last game and as the conference champ. Same with Georgia & Bama.

I love all that C. Everett Koop does here! But if UW losing to Oregon in PACCG after going undefeated and then having to play the G5 rep in the Fiesta is going to be quite the let down.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tank44 posted:

Biggest beef with college sports is when your loss is one of the biggest factors in seeding or rankings. Washington and Oregon could both end up 12-1 but Oregon would be In the playoff since they won the last game and as the conference champ. Same with Georgia & Bama.

I think the committee generally doesn't show a lot of recency bias, but they do show heavy, designed bias towards winners of P5 conferences. If Georgia and Washington trip at the finish line and get left out, it's because they didn't win their conference and Alabama and Oregon did, not because they lost in December while their counterparts lost in September and October. In the case of the Pac-12, I'm pretty sympathetic to the idea that a championship game isn't needed in this specific case, but the titles are decided the way they're decided, and giving weight to those titles is a perfectly valid thing for the committee to do.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Yeah it's crazy that this UW team has done something nobody has done in the Pac-12 and has literally the best regular season a UW team has ever had and yet overall it might not end up meaning anything. College football!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Edna Mode posted:

Yeah it's crazy that this UW team has done something nobody has done in the Pac-12 and has literally the best regular season a UW team has ever had and yet overall it might not end up meaning anything. College football!

Off by a year. I'm looking forward to arguing over who the top 6 non-champions are rather than leaving out a champion or two because they wound up tripping up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Edna Mode posted:

What gives a season meaning?

I feel like going undefeated against the conference schedule, the only time anyone has ever done it, is still pretty meaningful even if you lose the CG. I can derive meaning from pretty much anything, though. It’s supposed to be fun.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What gives a season meaning?

I feel like going undefeated against the conference schedule, the only time anyone has ever done it, is still pretty meaningful even if you lose the CG. I can derive meaning from pretty much anything, though. It’s supposed to be fun.

For sure, it's more in terms of what typically qualifies as a successful season in college football, which is making the playoff. I would love for this to be remembered as UW's best season... But it won't if they lose.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Jacksonville State/Louisiana to the New Orleans Bowl.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

Jacksonville State/Louisiana to the New Orleans Bowl.

So someone who is technically not supposed to be selected before everyone eligible is home in a bowl :thunk:

Anyway, Washington is 13-0 and a lock for the Playoff. Oregon at 11-2 is a lock for a NY6, prob the Fiesta but could be wrong. It's good news for Bama/Texas; win tomorrow and they'll jump Oregon and prob idle Ohio State. Outside shot for Ohio State to make playoff if Georgia/Michigan win and FSU/Texas lose.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Edna Mode posted:

For sure, it's more in terms of what typically qualifies as a successful season in college football, which is making the playoff. I would love for this to be remembered as UW's best season... But it won't if they lose.

poo poo I just want 9 or 10 wins, a shot at the conference title, and a decent bowl match up. I’ll take 1 of the 3.

Fortunately you don’t have to worry about it! Congratulations!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

C. Everett Koop posted:

So someone who is technically not supposed to be selected before everyone eligible is home in a bowl :thunk:

Anyway, Washington is 13-0 and a lock for the Playoff. Oregon at 11-2 is a lock for a NY6, prob the Fiesta but could be wrong. It's good news for Bama/Texas; win tomorrow and they'll jump Oregon and prob idle Ohio State. Outside shot for Ohio State to make playoff if Georgia/Michigan win and FSU/Texas lose.

if ohio state sneaks back into the playoffs again im going to post very upsetti spaghetti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

poo poo I just want 9 or 10 wins, a shot at the conference title, and a decent bowl match up. I’ll take 1 of the 3.

Fortunately you don’t have to worry about it! Congratulations!

*fistbump* See you in the Big 10, hopefully our offenses stay awesome.