Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Those eyes look like marbles & the skulls look like they're stamped from sheet metal, dunno if this makes a difference.

It could actually be that the skulls are traditionally made from repousee'd sheet metal that's formed from 8-metal ingots or w/e

Looking it up in 1 second, yeah that could be a genuine monkey skull one it could actually be real but dammed if I know what I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Snowy posted:

Sadly I don’t have my stuff on display as much as you do, my gf has much more normal taste. It’s not that I hide it all but I keep it a little toned down I guess

I kinda doubt it’s an expensive relic knowing my dad, but on the other hand knowing him anything is possible. Got any advice for kapala authentication?

The good folks at the Anatomy of Death Museum in Michigan have a few. They might be able to help.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Snowy posted:

Sadly I don’t have my stuff on display as much as you do, my gf has much more normal taste. It’s not that I hide it all but I keep it a little toned down I guess

I kinda doubt it’s an expensive relic knowing my dad, but on the other hand knowing him anything is possible. Got any advice for kapala authentication?

I'm no expert. I've only ever seen a goat kapala in person and it was behind glass.
Every picture I've seen of one makes them look like ugly, sorta cheap looking things. They're never fine works of art.
The easiest way to find out what an antique is made of is to touch it. If the metal is cold, it's metal. If it's room temperature, it's plastic. If the eyes are cold, they're glass. Bone... feels a bit rough? Like, it has a texture that plastic doesn't.
Have a good look at its teeth. It's hard to make teeth that look real.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Skrillmub posted:

I'm no expert. I've only ever seen a goat kapala in person and it was behind glass.
Every picture I've seen of one makes them look like ugly, sorta cheap looking things. They're never fine works of art.
The easiest way to find out what an antique is made of is to touch it. If the metal is cold, it's metal. If it's room temperature, it's plastic. If the eyes are cold, they're glass. Bone... feels a bit rough? Like, it has a texture that plastic doesn't.
Have a good look at its teeth. It's hard to make teeth that look real.

It’s definitely a real skull and the metal parts are metal. I’ll ask my dad where he got it.

These days it sits in a cabinet next to a pretty tacky looking little alligator head that was turned into an ashtray, also a gift from my dad.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

These Trump and Hillary masks in the crawl space under my house are cursed objects. I thought it would be funny to go as trump to a 2016 Halloween party so I ordered this mask. When the mask came in the mail I decided no loving way I’m wearing this.

The mask ended up being part of a dumb trump and Hilary Halloween decoration in front of my house. After election night it suddenly felt not so funny and the masks were banished to the crawl space.

The body under the trump mask is actually a talking trump doll I already had from when the Apprentice was what he was most known for. It says “you’re fired” and other phrases. I guess I have a hosed up 2016 election shrine under my house but I don’t remember it’s there unless I’m down there checking on if it’s flooding. I hate it.

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 28, 2023

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

and this thing

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ralph Hurley posted:

I guess I have a hosed up 2016 election shrine under my house but I don’t remember it’s there unless I’m down there checking on if it’s flooding. I hate it.

I’m glad you kept your weird shrine even though you hate it, and I love that there’s a second trump under the Trump mask.

I’ve still got a clip on Michael Dukakis somewhere, back from the days when clip on koalas were all the rage.

Ralph Hurley posted:

and this thing

For a second my blurry morning eyes thought you had a miniature Gandhi statue

Yours is fantastic

E- almost forgot to add my own weird shrine from decades back

I found the shrine part on the street and had to fill it with something :shrug: the dolls probably came from the street too, I used to find so much weird poo poo

Snowy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 28, 2023

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Behold my poisons:

So, I’ve always been a fan of golden age murder mysteries, in which poisons feature heavily, and then eBay happened, and now here we are.

I’m especially fond of my unopened bottle of aconitine, as featured in Carolyn Wells’s The Curved Blades.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Ortho posted:

Behold my poisons:

So, I’ve always been a fan of golden age murder mysteries, in which poisons feature heavily, and then eBay happened, and now here we are.

I’m especially fond of my unopened bottle of aconitine, as featured in Carolyn Wells’s The Curved Blades.

People could just buy fancy poison in old times?

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

People could just buy fancy poison in old times?

Yes, you could just walk down to the general store and buy cyanide or arsenic.

Sellers did start putting them in distinctive bottles to avoid confusion with other substances:

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
This mask I just bought.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

UwUnabomber posted:

This mask I just bought.

Goddamn where did you get that freaky thing? It’s like they made it to be creepier for the person wearing it

PS I love those poison bottles posted before, super cool collection

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

From the good folks at :nws::nms: Very Fine Crap Videos. Thwy were vending at a Halloween event I went to last night. They make props for indie splatter movies. They also makes movies. I didn't even realize it until I got home last night but I had been shown their movie Nutsack at a party years ago.

I also got a severed penis prop from them. I don't really know why I bought these except what else did I work all that overtime for?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Cool thread! Folks have some pretty neat stuff!

My collection isn’t as impressive as some, but I’d like to share it anyway.

This is my little spooky corner in my basement. I picked up the Vanity print at an antique mall recently. It’s likely a pretty old print.

Bottom shelf: Some spooky ghost and witch books and a couple old cups I’ve had since I was a teenager. I must have gotten them at a thrift store or something. One is a gourd and one is a horn.

Next up, some tarot stuff. I’ve got a box of tarot decks, a little set of drawers of gemstones and fossils, my witch box, and an old Frankenstein figure I’ve had since I was a wee bab.

Next shelf: More books, a golden plastic Halloween skull, a small gemstone skull and a little cast iron cauldron with some magpie bones inside.

These bones. In the empty lot at the end of my block there was a decaying magpie. I managed to get a few bones before it completely decomposed.

Next shelf: A few goodies here. I’ve got a framed postcard from Alcatraz about a deadly escape attempt. The accompanying replica key lives in my witch box. I’ve got a bundle of nighthawk feathers from the time we rescued an injured one that we found. The feathers were all over the sidewalk. I’ve got a rabbit skull that I found as a teen. And a favourite piece of mine, a snake dagger I picked up at a garage sale for fifty bucks when I was a teen.

Up top I’ve got a coyote skull that I bought from a witchery market last year.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 30, 2023

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Nessa posted:

I love a loving spooky corner. I love everything about it!

Op, sorry you don't get much opportunity to let your spoop flag fly. You have a lot of cool poo poo.

I swear I'm not trying to rub it in, but I made this on Saturday for permanent display- a welded metal and bone shrine thing for our front yard. This is our relationship:

Me: I built something that looks like it would belong in an enemy camp in a video game.
Mrs. Droogie: it looks so nice!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ortho posted:

Behold my poisons:

So, I’ve always been a fan of golden age murder mysteries, in which poisons feature heavily, and then eBay happened

if you bought them around 20-25 years ago, there's a chance you might've bought some of them from one of my best friends (an erstwhile goon)

his mom owns a family pharmacy and he spent a couple years selling old (empty) bottles

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

RUB-MY-TISM

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

We will destroy you.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nessa posted:

Cool thread! Folks have some pretty neat stuff!

My collection isn’t as impressive as some, but I’d like to share it anyway.

This is my little spooky corner in my basement. I picked up the Vanity print at an antique mall recently. It’s likely a pretty old print.

Bottom shelf: Some spooky ghost and witch books and a couple old cups I’ve had since I was a teenager. I must have gotten them at a thrift store or something. One is a gourd and one is a horn.

Next up, some tarot stuff. I’ve got a box of tarot decks, a little set of drawers of gemstones and fossils, my witch box, and an old Frankenstein figure I’ve had since I was a wee bab.

Next shelf: More books, a golden plastic Halloween skull, a small gemstone skull and a little cast iron cauldron with some magpie bones inside.

These bones. In the empty lot at the end of my block there was a decaying magpie. I managed to get a few bones before it completely decomposed.

Next shelf: A few goodies here. I’ve got a framed postcard from Alcatraz about a deadly escape attempt. The accompanying replica key lives in my witch box. I’ve got a bundle of nighthawk feathers from the time we rescued an injured one that we found. The feathers were all over the sidewalk. I’ve got a rabbit skull that I found as a teen. And a favourite piece of mine, a snake dagger I picked up at a garage sale for fifty bucks when I was a teen.

The spooky corner is inspiring! So cool. It’s a great idea to condense it all like that, like a little set. It’s fun stuff arranged in a really nice way.

Wow!!! How do your neighbors like the new sculptures?

I would be happy as hell to have neighbors like you two :3:

drat that’s pretty intense

Happy Halloween to all you creeps, hope it’s a good one!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
A handy book on reusing old graves

Possibilities include parking, storage, new graves and mini-golf

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 31, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Snowy posted:

Playing hard to get, eh?

Ok then, here’s a skull thingy I carved out of scrap insulation foam. It likes to tromp around in flower pots full of dirty moss

E- maybe it’s more of a ghost than a skull? I’ll have to ask it later

sweet

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
When we were kids we went on holiday to Spain, and stayed at this house that was on the top of a hill. It was windy all the time, and you heard it howling in through the chimney. My bedroom was FULL of dolls that were all facing the bed. There was a boarded up room in the basement, that had Cockroaches going in and out of the door, but the rest of the house was very clean, and they didn't stray from the mouth of the forbidden room. It was a spooky house to be in.

Anyway, one day me and my sister found something weird on the mantle peice. It was utterly confounding that we hadn't seen it earlier, because that day we came upstairs and both just immediately saw it and went "what the hell is that?".

It turned out to be burnt film negatives, which was kind of odd, but weirder was that one of them was still visible, and it was a man standing in front of a sign. Only, the sign was like an absence of colour in the negative, as though not part of the photograph, in the shape of a devil.

My dad made us throw it away, but when we got home my sister showed me, it was on her bedside table.

... Turns out she just palmed it, and that it's actually a super famous sign in Spain. Still though, the dolls were WATCHING ME

Death To All Who
Crawl On My Wall

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Droogie posted:

I love a loving spooky corner. I love everything about it!

Op, sorry you don't get much opportunity to let your spoop flag fly. You have a lot of cool poo poo.

I swear I'm not trying to rub it in, but I made this on Saturday for permanent display- a welded metal and bone shrine thing for our front yard. This is our relationship:

Me: I built something that looks like it would belong in an enemy camp in a video game.
Mrs. Droogie: it looks so nice!

Thank you, that's a wicked bone sculpture!

Snowy posted:

The spooky corner is inspiring! So cool. It’s a great idea to condense it all like that, like a little set. It’s fun stuff arranged in a really nice way.

Thank you! I hope in my next house I'll be able to fill a room and have a little macabre library. I'd love to get more bones and maybe a taxidermied bat or something. A mounted tarantula would be cool too. I have some Madagascan Sunset moths displayed in the base of a lamp, but that's more pretty than creepy. It was an excellent thrift store find though.

I used to have a bunch of cow and pig bones from when I worked with my church youth group picking rocks in farmers fields. I'd fill a bag with bones to take home. I even had the lower left mandible of a pig. I kept them in a small metal cauldron in the backyard. I was the weird kid who collected random bones. I wish I still had them.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Snowy posted:

Wow!!! How do your neighbors like the new sculptures?

I would be happy as hell to have neighbors like you two :3:

They have three choices:
1. Like it
2. Indifference
3. Pound sand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Looks like the haunted clubhouse is about to shut down, so thank you everyone for showing me your creepy poo poo, it was fun.

Keep letting those creep flags fly!