Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grittybeard posted:

I believe this is part of the problem with why the MLBPA who was viewed as the strongest players union forever fell flat on their face over the last decade or so. Now we're in a situation where guys making money want to keep making money and get a few concessions, other guys are signing sub-par contracts early for their talent level or waiting 7 years before they get a chance to negotiate. Then it's like...well you're old now so you don't get a long term deal.

We will completely ignore the minor leagues here.

It's labor problems in general. Public perception is really easy to force against athletes too judging by all their past strikes. Hell Bill Clinton stepped in for the MLB strike in the 90s.

Owners just have to get media to say "look how greedy these millionaires are" and every idiot agrees because they're jealous. Instead of people being happy for athletes making money they'd rather it all go to billionaires for some reason? I'll never understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
But a few players spend the last 5 years of their career being paid well over their worth so it all balances out

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Phobeste posted:

yeah something the nfl's been great at in cba negotiations is pouring in enough poo poo for the pa to have to push back on that they can whittle away the structurally important stuff in favor of backing down from obvious bad stuff. "oh KAY i GUESS i'll waive my right to punch you in the balls every tuesday and it'll just be monthly, but in exchange i'm gonna need 1% of your salary"

Oh for sure. Every league negotiation for every league has this problem. The owners care about one number, and to a lesser extent about having control over players. They can introduce a bunch of horseshit to “give up on” later and count on the media to carry that water. The players just don’t have that solidarity

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

loving back to back attacks on WVU, this thread is targeting me personally.

Don't worry they won't be able to afford having a football team much longer

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Doltos posted:

It's labor problems in general. Public perception is really easy to force against athletes too judging by all their past strikes. Hell Bill Clinton stepped in for the MLB strike in the 90s.

Owners just have to get media to say "look how greedy these millionaires are" and every idiot agrees because they're jealous. Instead of people being happy for athletes making money they'd rather it all go to billionaires for some reason? I'll never understand it.

Pay attention to how often the owners even get mentioned during a labor negotiation. The media will carefully refer to one side as “the teams” or at worst the league, and not show the faces or lifestyles of the owners. They’ll talk lots about how much salaries have increased over some arbitrary span of years but much less often how much revenue or team valuation have skyrocketed. It’s pure manufacture of consent and unfortunately since most of the viewers just want their sport back they’re happy to be convinced.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

DeimosRising posted:

Pay attention to how often the owners even get mentioned during a labor negotiation. The media will carefully refer to one side as “the teams” or at worst the league, and not show the faces or lifestyles of the owners. They’ll talk lots about how much salaries have increased over some arbitrary span of years but much less often how much revenue or team valuation have skyrocketed. It’s pure manufacture of consent and unfortunately since most of the viewers just want their sport back they’re happy to be convinced.

Labor contracts are hard in general, not being able to have a decent core of long term career folks who get it makes the union so much weaker: see WGA and SAG for how effective labor can be if they have good leadership and a lot of long term folks who understand the stakes. poo poo even the UAW is more effective.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
There’s no reason to think the pay distribution would be any different if 60% of revenues went to players. You definitely would not be able to “afford all your favorite players”.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That's a fair point that they'd probably still just shuttle all the money to QBs. It's more that A) Players deserve to be paid more and B) Salary cap + rookie wage scale is bad for players.

In an ideal world every single player would be paid their worth and there would be no NFL draft but I don't have a solution to either part.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1714084291716481518

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Colts ruining another top QB draft pick.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Eh, Richardson was ruined before he got there.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Thinking back to like a week ago when every single person was saying this would happen except one Colts poster who was insisting the injuries Richardson was suffering every single game weren't serious.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Sometimes boomers are right when they say a player is soft because he winces on the way back to the huddle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
News:
https://i.imgur.com/wRpNKZH.mp4
Views: