Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think there's exceptions to any rule, but I fully believe situations ruin QB's. Like yeah, probably nothing would've turned Lance into something, but you probably could've dumped the majority of 1st round QB's from the last decade with Andy Reid and gotten a good franchise QB out of them, you could've dumped almost any successful one on the Bears and they'd end up dogshit, broken shells of men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Looking at the Russ contract on a lark and I didn't realize the Broncos actually have an out coming up.

2024: $17m base salary, fully guaranteed
2025: $37m base salary, fully guaranteed only if he's on the roster at the beginning of the new league year. Broncos can cut him and "only" have to deal with a dead cap hit of.... $85m next year.

Could theoretically trade him and a pick to get him off the books, and the new team either negotiates a deal to make that 2025 number not stupid or just cuts him and pays $17m for a draft pick.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

Problem is Russ is actually playing well now

I'm also wrong anyway, OTC rolled a guaranteed option bonus into SB so the numbers are wrong.

Broncos are on the hook for a guaranteed $24m Option bonus next year, so it'd be damned tough to find a buyer for that monstrosity.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

tarbrush posted:

Do they have their own pick this year?

Yes, they have:

1st
No 2nd - Traded to Saints for Payton
3rd - They have either their own or the Saints (Payton) - Traded the other one to the Seahawks to draft Riley Moss
4th - They have either their own or the Dolphins (Chubb) - Traded the other one to the Jets for Jacob Martin.
5th
5th - Jets for Jacob Martin
No 6th - Traded to the Rams for a 7th and some guy
7th - They have either their own or the Rams' - Traded the other for Will Lutz

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I dunno, some fancy test said he has Vince Young brain, he'll probably bust.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That's what I expect. I don't think the score will get too crazy, because the Chiefs will be happy to just sit on the ball and own the game for 40 minutes and win like 27-10 or something.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

syzpid posted:

I swear the answer to this is incredibly dumb. Someone tried to keep one of the leagues top offenses down by controlling the ball. They had all these big long drives that ate a ton of clock but couldn't get in the end zone. The good offense just came in, ran 3-4 long plays and scored TDs every drive. I think the time difference was 45-15 but the team that won time of possession lost by a lot.

Maybe it was one of the really good Manning Colts teams?

Pretty much, Colts - Dolphins 2009

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It is somewhat wild to me that Steve Smith ended up with a post playing media career, he has the angriest linebacker-esque view of the world.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tavon Austin had a 9 year career

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So we're all in agreement the owner made him do that right?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Of course they will. Backup QB is a land of retreads and no hopers, he'll have plenty of suitors who want to see if they can unfuck him, as will Zach Wilson, as will Mac Jones.

Top prospects really gotta prove they ain't got it before they're done. You gotta be JaMarcus level suck rear end to not get at least a 2nd chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I would like to mention at this point that Christian Ponder was on 3 teams after the Vikings.