Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Saw John Kirby on the news this morning talking about how the deaths of the aid workers is being met by the president gently urging Netanyahu to make policy changes or else the US might consider lowering arms shipments. With great martyrdom comes great change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
It disgusts me that this is getting traction and not the literal babies.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dum Cumpster posted:

If it makes you feel any better, it's also not really getting any traction.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's getting more traction because it's making celebrities realise they will not be spared.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

mrmcd posted:

I have to admit part of me is just really depressed about this dramatic change in tone from the political and pundit class after the WCK attack. Jose Andres seems like a really good dude, but the critical element here seems to be he's very, very plugged in to the DC social scene. These ghouls were fine with 6 months of Israel bombing hospitals and apartments full of children, and wrote endless op-eds justifying it. It isn't until they tried to murk one of their very good friends from DC cocktail parties (and then claim a hamas guy was standing nearby) that they actually got upset.

Hi I was about to effort/drunk post about stopping the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians via TV cooking celebrities.

It sucks this is what it took, but if it works, poo poo.

RIP to those people and I hope they are looking down from whatever afterlife exists with double mids extended.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Dum Cumpster posted:

babies just don't change things anymore

see: Sandy Hook

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tripwire food service workers deployed to Gaza

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Slotducks posted:

babies just don't change things anymore

see: Sandy Hook

Yeah, sandy made me realize we were never going to change anything with guns.

RE: both now that I'm a parent I can't understand what monsters the people leading for these things are if they have children. I'm incapable of not empathizing with the kids involved in all this poo poo.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Subjunctive posted:

tripwire food service workers deployed to Gaza

Somewhere a red emergency phone rings. A solemn man answers, hands shaking and turns to his assistant, "they're sending in the Waffle House".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dum Cumpster posted:

RE: both now that I'm a parent I can't understand what monsters the people leading for these things are if they have children. I'm incapable of not empathizing with the kids involved in all this poo poo.

There is at least one parent on the right wing grift train whose daughter was killed in the shooting, if you want to talk about people who get their own special circle of hell.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Steezo posted:

Somewhere a red emergency phone rings. A solemn man answers, hands shaking and turns to his assistant, "they're sending in the Waffle House".

the american dessertion rate in the idf goes through the roof

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Somewhat related since the recent increase in Israel/Iran tensions seem catalyzed by Israel's invasion of Gaza:

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1778179002303225856

quote:

Per #Israel military & intel sources, #Iran’s military action is expected to include the use of ballistic & cruise missiles, as well as a wave of suicide drones — most likely launched from #Iran (a 1st) at #Israel.

Such an attack would draw a direct retaliatory air assault.

There have been a good number of tweets and posts on the subject recently, but it seems like there's a potential windup for Iran directly attacking Israel.

https://twitter.com/AmirIGM/status/1778159702708305958

quote:

Per @IranNuances in past few minutes FM Abdollahian has had calls with Foreign Ministers of Iraq, KSA, and UAE. Flurry of activity comes amid US reports that Iranian retaliation to Israel is "imminent".

Abdollahian also spoke with Ismail Haniyeh and Qatari FM earlier today.

Unless my geography is wrong, any sort of attack like this from Iranian territory towards Israel is going to involve crossing at least two other sovereign nations, either Turkey and Syria, or Iraq and then Jordan or Syria. What the hell are their reactions going to be? None of them probably want a fight with Iran, it'd likely end poorly for any of them other than Turkey, but at the same time missiles and drones passing over their sovereign airspace provokes the risk of some of them hitting their people due to Israeli shootdowns or misfires. Do they try to intercept them? Keep their heads down and pray for the best? This seems like a super chaotic situation.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

My guess would be coming in over Iraq and Syria, the latter being a general mess nobody seems to care about anymore and without a single government to protest, and the former seems to be similarly perceived as fair game for sovereignty violations for some reason.

Violating Turkey's airspace seems like a massively inflammatory and generally poor idea, the Turkish Armed Forces are plenty competent, no reason to pick that fight if you don't have to.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That, uh, that sounds like it would lead pretty immediately to Actual War

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Grip it and rip it posted:

Do we have any Palestinians on this site? I'm not certain Ive ever seen someone make that claim in the past 20+ years.

Is the idea that they'd prefer a symbolic gesture that would harm their situation over the status quo? Seems like a dubious proposition to me.

I thought a recent Defector piece drew a poignant parallel:

Tom Scocca posted:

The longer this goes on, the more I think about the protesters who chanted "Hey, hey, LBJ / How many kids did you kill today?" It was a perfect chant, cutting and morally true. It drew a line, and it caught Lyndon Johnson on the wrong side of it. Johnson chose not to face the voters again in 1968. And then, behind the scenes, Richard Nixon sabotaged the Paris peace talks and replaced Johnson as president.

And Richard Nixon killed a lot more kids, and other people, in the seven extra years he added to the war—killed them not just in Vietnam but in Cambodia and Laos, illegally expanding the war without telling the public or getting permission from Congress.

It's anything but a pro-Biden article; the theme is despair at how powerless voting is to affect any of this.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

raminasi posted:

I thought a recent Defector piece drew a poignant parallel:

It's anything but a pro-Biden article; the theme is despair at how powerless voting is to affect any of this.

oh, voting certainly affected things in Vietnam. just not in the way many people hoped, because they voted with feelings rather than critical thinking about Tricky Dick Nixon

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

pmchem posted:

oh, voting certainly affected things in Vietnam. just not in the way many people hoped, because they voted with feelings rather than critical thinking about Tricky Dick Nixon

Ok, fair, the inability of voting to make anything better.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

raminasi posted:

Ok, fair, the inability of voting to make anything better.

When it comes to modern American politics, often the only choice is to not let things get worse. That's where we are, as much as people try to ignore it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

My guess would be coming in over Iraq and Syria, the latter being a general mess nobody seems to care about anymore and without a single government to protest, and the former seems to be similarly perceived as fair game for sovereignty violations for some reason.

The Assad government has become a client state to Iran and Russia; however, any such attacks would have to cross the portion of Syria that is largely controlled by Kurdish and US forces.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Unless my geography is wrong, any sort of attack like this from Iranian territory towards Israel is going to involve crossing at least two other sovereign nations, either Turkey and Syria, or Iraq and then Jordan or Syria. What the hell are their reactions going to be? None of them probably want a fight with Iran, it'd likely end poorly for any of them other than Turkey, but at the same time missiles and drones passing over their sovereign airspace provokes the risk of some of them hitting their people due to Israeli shootdowns or misfires. Do they try to intercept them? Keep their heads down and pray for the best? This seems like a super chaotic situation.

Iran could easily launch attacks from inside Syrian or Iraqi territory. Lebanon too, for that matter. I'm Syria the IRGC can operate directly, in the other two it would be via a militia. Compared to this, during missiles over airspace isn't so big a deal, diplomatically.

The main issue is that a direct Iranian attack would likely provoke a US response. Which is probably why Bibi hit that consulate in the first place.

Since Oct 7 I've thought the fears of escalation were overblown but this is a case where it's a big risk imo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Count Roland posted:

The main issue is that a direct Iranian attack would likely provoke a US response. Which is probably why Bibi hit that consulate in the first place.

I think fears over an American response are overblown. Like, what are they going to do?

The scary scenario is Israel using nukes, imo.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Stringent posted:

I think fears over an American response are overblown. Like, what are they going to do?

The scary scenario is Israel using nukes, imo.

If Iran strikes Israel directly then the US can return the favour. Or give Israel the green light to hit Iranian nuclear facilities.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Count Roland posted:

If Iran strikes Israel directly then the US can return the favour. Or give Israel the green light to hit Iranian nuclear facilities.

How is the US going to hit Iran, and why would Israel need a green light from the US?

I'm not sure you understand this scenario.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Stringent posted:

How is the US going to hit Iran, and why would Israel need a green light from the US?

I'm not sure you understand this scenario.

In a total war scenario? What kind of specificity are you looking for? They'd be coordinating with the Israelis to take out strategically significant assets for that conflict. That kind of escalation would put a ton of different strike packages on the table.

Why do you think that is such an impossible scenario?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Iran has F-14s which as the documentary Top Gun: Maverick has shown, pretty easily defeat 5th generation fighters. The US is powerless against their might.

(I think he just has a weird posting gimmick)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

In a total war scenario? What kind of specificity are you looking for? They'd be coordinating with the Israelis to take out strategically significant assets for that conflict. That kind of escalation would put a ton of different strike packages on the table.

Why do you think that is such an impossible scenario?

The US hasn't been able to significantly degrade Yemeni surface to surface launching capabilities, what are they going to do in Iran which has real SAM capabilities? Find out if the F-35 actually works?

You tell me, total war scenario, what's the US going to do to Iran?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lol

quote:

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 11, 2024

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Stringent posted:

The US hasn't been able to significantly degrade Yemeni surface to surface launching capabilities, what are they going to do in Iran which has real SAM capabilities? Find out if the F-35 actually works?

Has the US tried to significantly degrade Yemeni surface to surface launching capabilities? Please support your response with reputable sources.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

McNally posted:

Has the US tried to significantly degrade Yemeni surface to surface launching capabilities? Please support your response with reputable sources.

This was the first thing Google spit out, there's been a lot of reporting on it. This story is from February, the Houthis are still operational.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/live-blog/live-updates-rcna137078

quote:

The United States and the United Kingdom struck 36 Houthi targets in 13 locations in Yemen today, which U.S. officials said were intended to "disrupt and degrade the capabilities" Houthis have used to attack ships in the Red Sea.

Again, lots of reporting on it, I'm not in a position to look things up extensively at the moment, so feel free to do your own research on it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ranbo das posted:

Iran has F-14s which as the documentary Top Gun: Maverick has shown, pretty easily defeat 5th generation fighters. The US is powerless against their might.

did you learn nothing from that film??

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8844499b-dafa-4509-8377-abadfdba70b6

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Stringent posted:

This was the first thing Google spit out, there's been a lot of reporting on it. This story is from February, the Houthis are still operational.

Again, lots of reporting on it, I'm not in a position to look things up extensively at the moment, so feel free to do your own research on it.

Were you alive for the US invasion of Iraq 20 years ago? Did you watch any of that footage?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Were you alive for the US invasion of Iraq 20 years ago? Did you watch any of that footage?

That, and the Gulf War ~10 years before was a thousand sorties a day/100,000 total versus uh.... 36.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Stringent posted:

You know how when there's a mosquito lightly pestering you and you lazily swat at it to only modest effect? That's analogous to the current response.

To confuse that for being the full extent of capabilities suggests you're probably getting some info from bad sources!

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Stringent posted:

Yeah, don't do this drive by poo poo here.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Stringent posted:

Ok, I'm just going to clarify the matter and expound upon what others have said since you responded here:

The US has not tried to significantly degrade Yemeni surface to surface launching capabilities. If they had put forth a serious effort to do so, then every surface to surface launcher in Yemen would either be a smoking hole or hidden somewhere so it won't become a smoking hole and therefore unable to be used.

For future reference, responding with "feel free to do your own research on it" when I tell you to back up your assertions is a one-way ticket to the Something Awful Forums Read-Only Experience.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The US literally toppled Iran's neighbor, who Iran had fought in a long and bloody border conflict, in a couple months? You'd have to be a loving clown to think that the US is incapable of absolutely disrupting every aspect of Iranian life for its citizens using a very similar playbook.

Occupation or victory wouldn't be simple, or even possible, but that wouldn't be the goal really. If this wasn't the case then Iran would have probably already retaliated against Israel for the bombing of their consulate. Instead, they appear to be waiting for a target of opportunity, that would allow them to accomplish a tit for tat without the possibility of invoking a US response. This is pretty obvious to anyone watching, I'm not sure how you could see how this entire clusterfuck has unfolded and not believe that to be the case.

Edit: Doh I had some dated discussion of Carrier placement. I don't know where they are right now but stand by the rest of what I wrote.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 11, 2024

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
The US carrying out a bunch of strikes on Iran is one thing. Putting boots on the ground and effecting a change in leadership is a very different thing. I've no doubt that the US could run a train over Iran if it wanted to but the current head of the executive seems to understand that fighting against a massive insurgent force in a country of 90 million people is not what the US should attempt to do.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah nobody wants this to happen ofc, its just not comparble to the Yemeni strikes.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Stringent posted:

The mighty Houthis laugh with contempt at the waves of bombers and missiles sent by the putrefying United States at the behest of its Zionist masters. The loathsome Zionist-Crusader alliance is gasping its last foul breathes, and soon the flag of the Houthi warriors will fly over Washington DC and “Tel Aviv” to the delight of the rightfully guided and pure of heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah nobody wants this to happen ofc, its just not comparble to the Yemeni strikes.
Yeah, none of this should be read as rooting for the American military-industrial complex to dominate the Middle East. But it's self-defeating and intellectually incurious (at best) to allow contempt for the actions of the US to lead to drastically mistaking its capabilities.