Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not a great argument considering one of them is/was the richest person alive and the other was president for a bit.

A lot of people could live with not being liked to be either of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The funniest thing is neither of those two can

hahaha

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Maybe I'm naive but I'd have thought that if it was confirmed, IDF spokespeople would be screaming it at the top of their lungs at any opportunity. It seems weird that they haven't.

Same

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

psydude posted:

I'm not really sure how debating exactly how the babies were murdered really changes the fact that babies were murdered, but the IDF isn't denying it anymore.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/wor...post_type=share

It doesn't change the fact that babies were killed, but there's a bit of a difference between "babies were killed after enemy soldiers fragged multiple rooms" vs "enemy soldiers purposefully cut heads off of children" and that BBC link doesn't really make it any clearer.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

psydude posted:

For the record, I do agree that it's probably just the result of how bullets work, but it's notable that the IDF has stopped denying it outright.

Totally agree, and I do believe it happened as well based on what we have so far. Question is was it intentional or incidental, which I think is not at all spelled out.

This is a key point and the only reason why I even chose to discuss the entire thing at all which I don't think I am up to talking about any more today :(

bulletsponge13 posted:

It doesn't change their deaths, but allowing a false narrative on atrocities breeds more atrocities.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

6,000 bombs. How do you even drop that many on such a small area.

Without regard for collateral damage

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Quackles posted:

So I have to ask. Where does that put the US in this?

Whatever best serves the stock prices of several MIC companies.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Baby stuff is in debate I guess.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/12/middleeast/israel-hamas-beheading-claims-intl

e: no images in that link when I read it, basically just asserts that yes there were dead children of blast wounds etc, yes hamas did some isis-type beheadings, no they can't confirm any of that was done to children.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Muir posted:

So everyone agrees that they beheaded civilians, and everyone agrees that they killed children, but we're being precious about whether they specifically beheaded children?

Yes.

Because

bulletsponge13 posted:

It doesn't change their deaths, but allowing a false narrative on atrocities breeds more atrocities.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Dan Carlin, famous for being the most popular history podcaster, is a Nazi by any other word

That's disappointing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

I have the firefox add-on that removes ads on youtube completely

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://vxtwitter.com/UN_News_Centre/status/1714649681521791305

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://vxtwitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1718002941112590580

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Pretty clearly that's not what the quote says? It says the US won't draw the red lines for Israel, not that there aren't any.

Logic up there with “died with covid”

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

What do you mean?

That its a bullshit semantics cover for an irrelevant distinction. The UN member that has already vetoed security council sanctions stating there are no red lines means that anyone else drawing them will be ignored.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

psydude posted:

"but since the beginning we have, and continue to have, conversations about the manner they are doing this."

What does that mean to you?

Because so far they have been getting cover in the UN from the US and I'm not getting the impression the IDF is operating with great restraint here because of outside influence myself.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

psydude posted:

I take it as a notable departure from the previous (and historical) position that US support for Israel is unqualified and without question. This is probably about as close as we're gonna get to a public rebuke.

"we'll continue to support them and talk to them about things" doesn't seem like a rebuke if any to me, but this is getting into reading tea leaves to me at least so not gonna try to press that point against you.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

psydude posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Zionism

Yep. Before the Reagan administration, US policy regarding Israel was (to a large degree) in the interest of counteracting Soviet influence in the region. Since Reagan began recruiting evangelicals into the Republican party, it's become the primary driver.

Did they forget the part where ultimately ALL nations must turn against Israel to usher in the next steps in Revalations etc?

I always wondered how evangelicals squared that circle but not enough to try and ask my family about it. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Godholio posted:

It's almost like most of the discussions happen behind closed doors and you're not in the room.

It's almost like the US facilitating oppression of palestine has been ongoing throughout our lifetimes and largely accepted as the status quo by US administrations.

Reading a very vague statement that declares our full support alongside "we'll talk with them" isn't exactly a strong point towards expecting the IDF to not engage in slaughter in Gaza.