Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Hamas, much like Wager, is about the strength of an oversized infantry division, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CommieGIR posted:

Musk has openly embraced Right Wing echochambers because he thinks it will get him closer to people in power.

He's not wrong.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Kesper North posted:

yall got more probes than nasa wtf

Both NASA and the mod team is critically underfunded.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Borscht posted:

Thank you. In that case, how should Israel be proceeding in this war?

By not?

There is no right way.

This historical way is to keep swinging your sword until you die or everyone asking you politely to stop swinging is dead.

International relations is a mess because we forgot that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm going to vehemently disagree here. Even if you ignore the actual history of the conflict, when there's this huge a power disparity and the Palestinians have absolutely tried every peaceful way to resolve things, the responsibility for ceasing the violence is entirely with the Israelis. Now, if Israel gave all the stolen land back, put some IDF personnel, politicians and settlers in war crimes courts for what they've done, paid some reparations to get the Palestinians back on their feet, and the Palestinians still lobbed rockets at them? Yes, I'd agree, equal blame on both sides. But that's not where things stand.

Granting autonomy to the oppressed in the only moral choice they could make and they have decidedly oppressed harder instead at every intersection, leading the the current events.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Handsome Ralph posted:

In fairness, from what friends with family in Israel have said, this isn't too far fetched. The way it was explained to me is people have a "When the immediate crisis is over, he's gotta go"

Also his son being in the US right now is pissing a lot of people off over there apparently.

Among Netanyahu's nationalist party the "immediate crisis" seems to be the existence of the Palestinian people.

There is no immediate crisis to the existing state, so they're just beating the drums to keep the domestic heat off of them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SerthVarnee posted:

Err...That seems a bit...much?

Like, how many tanks drive around with 1,97 feet of armor plating?

Modern composite armors can be equivalent to like 5x of 1940's Battleship Rolled Homogeneous Steel Armor. That wouldn't be enough if for example you set it on the Front Glacis.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Quackles posted:

So how do you think this ends?

Well the IDF is trying to go do some genocide and the US isn't stopping them... sooooo....

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Bored As gently caress posted:

Holy gently caress that's terrifying.

Not really, you can see how absolutely shoddy that construction is. Its designed to be cinematic. Those aren't as bad as most of the improv drone weapons we're seeing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Voyager I posted:

As an American secular Jew with no connection to Isreal, this pretty :stare:, but considering it took 20 years for America to start getting over 9/11 I guess I can't judge them too harshly for still being weird about demographics.

Lots and lots of other things to judge them harshly for, mind you.

issuing correction on a previous post of Voyager I, regarding the terror group ISIL IDF. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
They were blown out of proportion, that much has become clear in the following weeks.

That's not why Fivemarks got told to gently caress off

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

Very informative post, thanks for this. It reminds me a bit of how US commercial real estate works in terms of the complete division of ownership vs. management vs. tenants.

General follow-up question: if this were a US-flagged vessel, I'm assuming it would have prompted the US navy (which currently has some ships in the Red Sea) to respond, particularly since the Houthis aren't considered the legitimate government of Yemen by the US and its allies in the region. Is it fair to say, then, that one of the drawbacks of using a flag of convenience is that you're basically on your own if someone decides to hijack your ship (in the sense that most countries with this scheme barely have coast guards, let alone navies)?

The US Navy actually already handles the majority of the worlds anti-piracy operations, because its in US capital's interest to promote trade, as a lot of the global trade money eventually ends up in the hand of US companies. Everyone is well aware that flags of convivence mean nothing and that some senator's donor is probably making $100k/day on that Bahama's flag.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You can find uncut video if you search, I recommend against it though. As almost everyone here can attest, uncut war footage leads to lasting mental trauma.

I don't like the Tiktok stupidity either, but at least it cuts out actual people meeting their end.

But as always they'd have been fine if the IDF wasn't' doing some genocide in the first place.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Someone WT forums leak the standard loadouts for IDF apaches so we can resolve this. Hydra? 30mm HE? Angry Mob? Kung Fu Hamas? Who knows.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Fundraising and institutional inertia mostly.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Israel is also one of the major sources of off-the-shelf individual spyware software. Those are the sort of mass zero-day root exploit packages you generally see employed for espionage against another company or of surveillance on a unionizing workers. For an easy $10k you can just have all of someones DMs copy pasted to you in real time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The piracy being 'completely indiscriminate no matter what they claim' is pretty laughably easily disproven by China and Russia not lifting a finger about it.

Neither Russia nor China have the ability to project sea power to "lift a finger" for this even if they wanted to. And from their UN votes they clearly do not care at all because its not in their interests.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

Feel free to punish me or shut me down if this is the wrong place for this.

I listen to a podcast called Angry Planet. They recently had an episode called 'Can You Fight A Moral War in a Tight Space' which had a guest named John Spencer who seems to specialize in urban warfare and things like that. I used to think that Angry Planet did a pretty descent job at analyzing conflicts or just bringing qualified people on to shed light onto recent happenings. But since October 7th I feel like they have been showing more and more of their rear end on things relating to Israel/Gaza and it's been eye opening to me. At first I thought they just brought one pro Israel person on and that guest was just bad, but then in later episodes they mention the negative feedback they get and then continue to have some very pro IDF rhetoric. Anyway this latest episode had this guy John Spencer talk about how the IDF is going to great lengths to minimize non-combatant casualties and I've just been thinking about how I feel about all of this.

One of the things that's been really tricky for me these last several months has been how difficult it is to ascertain the truth of this conflict. When Russia invaded Ukraine, there was obviously a lot of bad reporting or deliberate misinformation being spread but this conflict feels like it's on a whole different level. I can listen to these podcasts talking about how good of a job the IDF is doing then I go onto Twitter and see IDF soldier gleefully talking about doing monstrous things. I know I am not adding a lot to the conversation here but this looks and feels different. I feel like the US abandoned the Kurdish people. I feel like we were too slow and have done too little to help Ukraine, but we were/are doing something. Then I see and hear how many people are just so supportive of the IDF and this one just feels different. Like a larger step, the veneer wears thinner or something.

Anyway, did we ever learn more about the IDFs immediate response after the Oct 7 attack? I'm specifically curious about the things that looked like the IDF destroyed a bunch (hundreds IIRC) of cars that may or may not have led to the deaths of many civilians. I feel like I've only seen speculation that the IDF acted carelessly but I'm curious if there is a clearer picture at this point.

If topics like those interests you I can recommend War on the Rocks and Arms Control Wonk (Both website articles and podcasts) for non-lovely views on the topics they cover. Both have a similar model of public facing academic reporting and subscription discussion boards. As for the learning part, their respective discussion boards each have an active OSINT and peer review community and its fairly straightforward to find answers through primary sources. Its not something I'd really recommend seeing for yourself because its awful and not good to traumatize yourself like that, but in summary - The IDF is being deliberately terrible. There are people who've put together clearer pictures on specific events that have enough supporting data and none of it ever paints a flattering picture about the IDF's target discrimination and lack of restraint.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The US Navy has a very common “Mission” assigned to ships when they’re just loving around. It’s called Assured Access and the first part of it is driving wherever the gently caress you want to show everyone else you are committed to open sea access, ostensibly for everyone but really for US interests in particular. The second part of it is doing soundings and seafloor sonar scans and getting acoustic measurements and baselines and aggregating data of local sea traffic and maybe doing some mine laying or mine clearance training while you’re there.

The mapping aspect is a bit more important in places like the Philippines where you’ve got thousands of small waterways but even in the eastern med or Red Sea it’s important data to keep current.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Dopilsya posted:

Although it's widely believed, this isn't true. The territory of embassies and consulates are still sovereign territory of the host country. They do enjoy a lot of special protections under the Vienna Conventions, but that isn't one of them.

If, as some of the reporting implies, the only people killed were IRGC officers, they probably weren't consulate staff/security so they probably don't have consular protections. The premises itself are still supposed to be inviolable, though.

Thats a lot of hairs to split to claim its ok.

Its not ok though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Stringent posted:

What's the legality of Israel dropping bombs in the middle of Damascus?

Well, law is something a sovereign state enforces upon its subjects. When it comes to country vs country legality is only relevant in so far as its a mutual allowance. This is a case of Sword Law, ergo, not affected by legality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Dopilsya posted:

there's still limits on use of force that exists.

Not a dig against you personally, but this statement is Liberal Worldview Misconception 101

Instead; There are still potential consequences on the use of force which may be exercised.