Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Which again reminds me of a client of my company who no-poo poo owns a gold plated AK which was gifted to him by the Chinese govt. Whoever he is, he has friends.

They also gave him the in-shot can of gold spraypaint, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

So did Iran just get a free dry-run of how a drone deployment will be treated in this future hellspace of ours? Did the US just get a free dry-run of the same thing?

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

when serious militaries talk about drone warfare, this is not what they're talking about.

Yea that was several orders of magnitude facetious

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Count Roland posted:

The Iranian operation was purely for PR. In that, it wasn't intended to militarily degrade Israel.

Iran and Israel have been fighting a shadow war for many years now. This includes airstrikes, assassinations, bombings, sabotage and more. Iran decided (not unreasonably) that Israel openly blowing up it's diplomatic building was going to far. Thus, for both domestic and international audiences, they had to make a show of force to dissuade further attacks and not appear weak.

If Iran wanted to cause damage to Israel, or if it wanted to provoke further escalation, they wouldn't have telegraphed the attacks so much. I don't know how this was done, but I shouldn't be reading on twitter about the attack before it happens. Launching slow moving drones from thousands of km away also gives a lot of time to respond.

Really though, the goal is to make Israel think twice about attacking Iran so openly. Given all that's going on, its very hard to say if they succeeded.

Just a heads up, what happened wasn’t “telegraphed” so much as is was extremely backchanneled. There were a lot more parties involved to sort of box the whole thing in, versus it all turning into another regional actualwar.

Edit: Caveat, may not be boxed in at all regardless.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

So…

https://x.com/barakravid/status/1788952088724062258

Best metaphor: “this is… you are shredding the UN charter with your own hands” *shreds the UN charter with his own hands* “yes, yes that is what you are doing shredding the UN charter, shame on you”

Edit: Can I just point out that there’s no target market for a tiny paper shredder that’s transparent acrylic? Tiny paper shredder is an op