Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Anyone that runs is Hamas

Anyone that stands still is well-disciplined Hamas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The funniest thing is neither of those two can

:pwn:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

For real though is this the first time (not counting Mad Max 2) that loving motorized paragliders have been used as assault vehicles?

I was gonna say they're even outdoing C&C Generals at this point

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Israel has ordered 1.1 million people to evacuate northern Gaza within 24 hours, a totally realistic and not at all insane proposal

https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinians-gaza-hamas-war-c8b4fc20e4fd2ef381d5edb7e9e8308c

well i hope against hope that this isn't as horrifying as it sounds

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

There's a weird absence of discussion in the limited Israeli media I have visibility into about what "victory" looks like beyond the overly ambiguous "elimination of Hamas".

I worry that the ground troops will roll in and all it'll take just a handful of soldiers to break the taboo to unleash a flood of retributive violence against the population of Gaza, worse even than the bombing of entire city blocks. And even then, once the blood debt has been repaid by an order of magnitude or three, will creating a wave of martyrs and traumatized orphans "eliminate Hamas"?

I don't know that their stated war goal is achievable without genocide and I'm not entirely confident that's not exactly what will be attempted.

There's also little reflection about why Hamas has the support it does and why Palestinians in the West Bank have been turning increasingly towards violence. Little admission among liberals that the relative peace and prosperity they've won over the last two decades, even with periodic lawn mowing operations, has perhaps blinded them to the urgency of the suffering and anguish inflicted by the apartheid regime. The peace process for many has perhaps been an election issue, something that could sit until they retook the Knesset, not a time bomb that had been waiting to explode. All the while, the youth radicalize ever further toward the right.

I've feared Israel has been on the path to no return for awhile now. I suspect we might see in the months to come that it is in the rear view mirror.

I fear that this is the unstated aim and always has been.

I just don't want anyone else to die :(

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Time is a flat circle, Israel am become the Nazis, hail ss-18 Satan may his passing cleanse this dumb earth and let some other species do better

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

To the question of where the Palestinians in Gaza are supposed to go, the Israelis helpfully marked it out on the flyers they airdropped earlier today:

Not an Arabic speaker but apparently the little box in the upper left is labeled something like "Humanitarian Zone"

Roughly where that area is:

Yes, they're actually expecting +1 million Palestinians from North Gaza to cram into about 10 square miles of farm fields north of Rafah and Khan Yunis without any sort of shelter or sanitation. And on 24 hours notice.

Hey Israel you shouldn't be taking ideas from history

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

It has led to some delightful Khemri TV memes, however.

Wtf does Settra have to do with this

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

500 :(

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Israel have kindly let a whole 20 trucks of aid through. It's a start, but christ that's a drop in the bucket

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

....any? I don't mean people being big mad and chiding them, I mean facing no-poo poo juries and trials. I would be willing to bet very large amounts of money that no one responsible ever faces justice for the wholesale slaughter currently going on.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Obviously nobody is able to stop anything right now, and unless countries are dissolved somehow they're unlikely to give up servicemen for prosecution unless it's against internal law.

That being said Israel has a right under international law to respond to being attacked. The way they are supposed to be judged on that response is the LOAC. Randomly bombing a hospital would be a breach of that, so the detail on what happened is important.

There's also that whole thing of cutting water, power, food and fuel. Focusing on the hospital is missing the forest for the trees.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

It still trips me out how people misunderstand the responsibility of violence.

.....go on?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:smith:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Israel bombed an ambulance convoy and in an entirely separate attack, a convoy of civilians

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2023/11/3/israel-hamas-war-live-israeli-forces-gather-outside-gaza-city

e] also bombed another school

No :( not ok

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I'd look at the withdrawal of support for KSA over the war in Yemen as probably the more relevant example and while it can't be compared 1:1 as the US's relationship with Israel is different from that with KSA, but also the plight of Palestinians is generally much more of a thing Americans are aware of than Yemen. Hell, I'm still kind of blown away that Americans ever gave a gently caress about the suffering of civilians in Yemen, but it makes me a tiny bit optimistic, too.

Interestingly Israel generally assesses that their single biggest risk is losing popular American support.

well yeah, the instant they don't have the backing of the USA the entire middle east flattens them

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What, was there a Hamas command centre ITT or something FV?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I heartily agree, and that's why I'm not very present in this thread. It's just too awful. Log off, go for a walk, smell the flowers, and smile, everyone.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

Yes, but, Decorum and Tone is more important than Content, this is the internet. /s

I think that the reason why some people in this thread are getting mad at the mods is that, well, yeah? To most of us, it kinda looks like they're caring more about tone and decorum than anything else, and on a touchy subject like this, it's actually really loving infuriating to some people that it looks like that. When someone says "Actually by posting here you recognize ISrael's right to exist" and multiple people go "No we don't" in various ways of saying "No we don't" and everyone gets hit with probes for that, it feels a bit decorum-poisoned.

Also to get back on topic more, I feel like it's a bit disingenuous to put all of the blame on starting this on Hamas- Israel was just looking for an excuse for genocide, and they would've gotten one eventually. It's also in the nature of the oppressed with no peaceful way out to turn towards violence when they've got no hope.

The flipside of it though is that it's very easy for charged issues to become nothing but screaming into the void and purity fights. I think so far they've been doing a good job in a frankly thankless role - it's an incredibly hard needle to thread.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You could try posting in any of the other threads on SA about the conflict then? I doubt they'll be any good, but :shrug:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Natty Ninefingers posted:

makes you wonder what the gently caress they did to get it.

Which again reminds me of a client of my company who no-poo poo owns a gold plated AK which was gifted to him by the Chinese govt. Whoever he is, he has friends.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

Yea Palestinians losing the whole truckload of aid we kindly provide them after giving Israel billions in bombs and weapons would be pretty sad I guess but taking out Bibi would be a good thing.

You cannot be serious. You're saying it's OK to cut off the aid which is basically the only thing keeping a lot of people alive just so long as Bibi is gone?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

I think we’re giving Israel more far more weapons compared to the paltry amount of aid we are sending the Palestinians. Reminder that all those supplies we send to Gaza also has to be approved and inspected by Israel first, so most of it isn’t even delivered on time.

What a hosed up situation the US has created.

I was going to respond, but I see you managed to get yourself banned from loving d&d, so I'm kindly asking you not to bring your bullshit here instead

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I just took issue with the stance of "well its sad if Palestine loses their aid but gotta get rid of Bibi", then saw the rap sheet involved a forum ban from d&d. How do you even do that?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

tbf I think he was just making some dumbass hypothetical to try and own Biden or something, I don't think he was "taking a stance" or whatever. You just bit way too hard on it.

:shrug: maybe so, but Poe's law

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I guess the question for me is what on earth makes anyone think the Israelis give the slightest gently caress about what happens to the Palestinians once they're forced out?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/11/icj-hears-south-africas-genocide-case-against-israel-over-gaza-war

Say that the ICJ does actually come down on the side of South Africa's argument and go: "Yes, Israel is being a bunch of genocidal fucks." What would the actual consequence be? The ICJ doesn't have an enforcement division that can go to Israel and arrest their government and Netanyahu probably won't go hand himself over willingly. So I assume the only real consequence would be that ICJ signatories would be legally compelled to arrest those found responsible if they dropped by?

Good lord the Mossad would loving destroy anyone that tried to enforce that

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

You got a strange sense of humor, buddy.

You, uh... you must be new here.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A+

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

the only moral option would be to immediately begin bombing

gently caress right off out of here.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hey Smegma, the reason I told you to gently caress right off on out of here is I was about 99% certain that you were either a troll, an rear end in a top hat, or a loving moron.

Since you're taking posts from here to CSPAM for lulz - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3842990&pagenumber=2556&perpage=40#post537492329 - I feel pretty secure in telling you your bullshit isn't welcome here.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Yeah I agree there's many in Israel that want that outcome. What I don't get is why Egypt, or any other state, would go along with it.

Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians suffering and starving in Egyptian territory could bring down the government. Even a more mild version of only tens of thousands that are a bit longer after is politically dangerous for Sisi. How could he be convinced to allow this? Or conversely, why wouldn't he end the peace treaty with Israel if this did occur?

Probably contingency planning. They must be aware this is gonna happen whether they want it or not, so better to at least be slightly prepared if possible. But honestly, who knows.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kchama posted:

Attacking Saudi Arabian ships definitely breaks the peace treaty they signed with SA last year.

Also it has been confirmed to carry steel products and trucks.

That's the point we are trying to get across. It is not a Saudi ship.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Let's not forget that Syria and Iran are already basically at war with Israel, and have been for some time. Most of the West just pretends tomorrow that because it's convenient to do so.

It's not a total war, but it's hotter than a cold war.

Is that a brushfire war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Just watch out for the sparky swamps