Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Re Hamas numbers, there's gotta be heaps of them, I mean if you look at the number of Hamas military buildings Israel keeps Bombing finding in Gaza, sometimes they take up entire blocks or neighborhoods!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
For real though is this the first time (not counting Mad Max 2) that loving motorized paragliders have been used as assault vehicles?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
:stare: each one of those bullet points quoted is a massive gently caress up, holy poo poo.
Like that one about Hamas using comms channels they knew were compromised to spread misinfo is just classic.

The whole thing is basically a disaster of complacency and oversight or overconfidence by the IDF and Hamas exploited it perfectly.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Are paragliders technicals?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Maybe I'm naive but I'd have thought that if it was confirmed, IDF spokespeople would be screaming it at the top of their lungs at any opportunity. It seems weird that they haven't.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Don't Ask posted:

Hey, gently caress you.

Civilians were intentionally murdered and abducted, elderly and children alike. They were targeted at home, outside, in their cars, at a music festival, in the fields, and everywhere they could be. Those that were able to lock themselves in a safe room were burned out. Dozens if not hundreds were abducted, including elderly grandmothers and infants.

Please don't post more hezbollah funded propaganda to try and refute this.

Also gently caress you again.

This is the sort of poo poo I honestly don't get. Because yea, any civ deaths are awful, but what do you think is constantly happening in Gaza ?
Fuckin go look at any of the footage on Al Jazeera right now, entire blocks are getting obliterated, and guess what, there's a shitload of civilians in there getting blown apart too.

Israel is outright stating their intention to annihilate Gaza and everyone in it right now(and is actively pursuing that goal), and the idea that that is somehow justified is just hosed to me.

I find it really hard to comprehend the level of moral outrage going on in posts like above, and in the current media narrative, because it so blatantly ignores one entire side of this poo poo. It seems to me to be very clearly saying that Palestinian civilians don't actually matter, and if people try to say otherwise or point it out, they get attacked too.

Gip usually doesn't get like this, and it's mostly not now, thank gently caress. Tbh I dont even know where I was going with this, I guess I'm just struggling to comprehend this entire horrifying clusterfuck. Just dont jump down each others' throats I guess. gently caress.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Soylent Pudding posted:

Why do you think they are ignoring one side of this? Why do you think they are clearly saying Palestinian lives don't matter? I literally cannot understand how someone could reach those conclusions from the post and the context of what that post is replying to.

I don't know. It feels like anytime someone expressed outrage at one side's war crime it's immediately seen by some others as deliberately ignoring or outright endorsing the other sides war crimes. It's exhausting that this keeps happening and it feels like so many posts on the subject end up having lists of war crimes from both sides to denounce only for someone to say "well you forgot this other war crime so obviously you're supporting it".

I'm not mad at you specifically, I'm just exhausted because it seems like everyone is hurting and on a hair trigger, myself definitely included.

Honestly it's a culmination of all the media and official statements being so one sided, but here specifically this dude posted basically "we shouldn't take it for granted that these loving insane allegations are facts" and the guy I quoted immediately abusing him for it. I dunno anything about either of those posters, maybe one of them has a history of being full of poo poo, but his posts didn't seem particularly egregious to me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Soylent Pudding posted:

The poster he was so outraged at was so full of poo poo they were told to leave this thread.

Honestly, I didn't really understand that either :shrug:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Desperate people do desperate poo poo

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Gonna go out on a limb and say we don't need to both sides/wait for confirmation that the country that has been deliberately bombing civilians for the past week deliberately bombed some more civilians. Israel is loving disgusting.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I don't think they can hear you, they are still bombing the poo poo out of Gaza right now.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
The odds of it being a failed Hamas rocket that "just happened" to directly hit the courtyard of a Hospital inside Gaza, and not a bomb dropped by Israel, who had already announced their intention to bomb that area, and have been doing so for days, is so stupid you guys. Seriously.
Like Israel is just shrugging and going "I dunno, they probably bombed themselves" and you are taking their word for it.

e] Oh also IDF aren't even saying it was Hamas, they're saying it was Islamic Jihad, of course.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 18, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Handsome Ralph posted:

The theory I saw floated was rocket misfire into an ammo dump. Which, yeah sure, that'd be enough to do it.

I still think it's 95% likely that it was the IDF.

lol yeh, the theory so implausible that even the IDF aren't trying it

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
https://twitter.com/WHOoPt/status/1714713833359466702?t=krI0JdOFz8PSzYYcdXvVwg&s=19

Dang look at all these failed rocket attacks

E) for real though, there's your death toll confirmation.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 18, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Not that it's on the same level as all the civilians they've been murdering, but Israel also destroyed a 1400 year old mosque in Gaza yesterday.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
It honestly doesn't even matter, because the only real purpose focusing on this "investigation" serves is to distract from all the other civilians Israel is/has been bombing.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Yea ok, in a wider context sure, but it doesn't make a difference to the people in Gaza that Israel are still slaughtering.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
When have they ever faced any sort of repercussions for their crimes?

bulletsponge13 posted:

And even then, nothing would be done since they have US backing

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Btw, this is what I mean when I say one round on one hospital doesn't really matter.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/longform/2023/10/26/satellite-images-show-scale-of-destruction-in-israels-assault-on-gaza

They're going full passchendaele mode and trying to distract from it by going "oh but we didn't do that one "

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Newsflash, your Zionist friend is a piece of poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
His entire argument is they mistranslated "victims" into "deaths" which, :shrug: and he's basing it on google translate, he doesn't even speak arabic.
Seems like an extremely weak reason to decide that Al-Jazeera intentionally mistranslates stuff to propagate false narratives.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
It's exactly as stupid as it seems, basically.

E) I guess if I was being charitable I could say maybe the infantry being in a far enough back area to think they were safe (i havent seen the footage) but lol, no.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 2, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Also no infantry support for the tanks, which makes them incredibly vulnerable to things like this. During the early days of the Syrian civil war, rebels took out a lot of Assad’s tanks by putting grenades in the turret barrel or throwing Molotovs on the engine block and then tossing grenades in the hatch when the crew would try to escape. The only thing I can think of in this case is that the Israelis were using tanks as artillery and didn’t expect to get engaged at all.

Some of the videos from Syria of that were absolutely nuts. I remember one where the grenade rolled back out of the barrel after the dude ran off, so he just waited like a minute and ran back and hucked another one in :stare:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Israel bombed an ambulance convoy and in an entirely separate attack, a convoy of civilians

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2023/11/3/israel-hamas-war-live-israeli-forces-gather-outside-gaza-city

e] also bombed another school

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 3, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Jarmak posted:

I had a long response to this typed out and accidently lost it, but I'll say this:

There are people on this forum, and even in this thread, who feel strongly enough about this conflict that they feel compelled to rationalize away the deaths of innocent people by tying them to the crimes of the larger group they belong to (or hell in the case of some of them, just merely associate with). People who have no direct connection to this conflict at all are still able to be emotionally invested enough to rationalize the deaths of kids in their early 20s because they were insensitive about where they had a party. I was not empathetic enough, or aware enough, or thoughtful enough when I was 22-23 to see the ideological implications of most of the poo poo I was doing. Were any of you? Did we all deserve to be brutally murdered for being idiot kids?

So if unaffected people on the internet on the other side of the world feel compelled to dehumanize people like that to justify an outlet for their anger, how do you think it works for the guy who's coworker's son or daughter was beheaded? Do you think they're having a thoughtful introspection about the conditions and history that led us to this point, and then deciding this is their chance to finally be rid of the Palestinians? Or do you think they're going "Make those people pay and stop from them from ever hurting us again, and gently caress anyone who gets in the way" while rationalizing away every atrocity their side commits as either somehow necessary to that end, or that the victims somehow deserve to be lumped in with the people who need to pay?

Imo you're missing a key part of why it resonates so strongly with people : the extremely obvious disparity of power.

Like to me, watching Israel brutalise and oppress palestinians for decades and then acting like they're the ones facing an existential threat when palestinians fight back is just the grossest hypocrisy.
They deliberately created the conditions that directly led to this, with literal sci-fi dystopian poo poo like remote we all have to sit and watch while all our govts all try to gaslight us about it and actively suppress any dissenting opinions.

Anyway thats my rant/venting into the void. Israel loving sucks.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1723073866434478114

I can't believe this keeps happening!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1723634283888161042

https://x.com/AvdullahYousef/status/1723717610288656757?s=20

lmao these are the clowns that people believed about decapitated babies and PIJ rockets hitting hospitals, don't ever give them the benefit of the doubt

e]not aimed at anyone in particular, just a big :psyduck:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 14, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
lmao "10/7 denial" because Israel lied about a bunch of poo poo and never backed it up with any sort of evidence other than literally being like "We have pictures but you can't see them"

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
nah I just meant all the bullshit about decapitating babies and raping and mutilating everyone they encountered etc.

Wombot posted:

Which is part of the quickly spreading Oct 7th denial, aiming to argue and sew doubt that the Hamas attack on Israel on Oct 7 didn't target civilians,

Just a kneejerk reaction to this dumb poo poo. Which might be happening other places but I haven't seen it on the forums at all. There's been a bunch of evidence that makes it pretty clear that the IDF killed a bunch of civilian hostages in their response, but nobody saying that it straight didn't happen.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

psydude posted:

What does this even mean? I don't think anyone in this thread is denying that Israel has far exceeded any kind of reasonable response. But I do see you trying to "So what?" the murder of 1200 civilians.

I'm not doing that at all, I was pushing back at Wombot bringing up "10/7 denial" because it sounds like bullshit and honestly to me just sounds like another disingenuous pro-Israeli talking point because like I said, I haven't seen it on the forums, and it sounds like a straw-man argument to distract from an entire month of genocide. He equated PCM's post referencing "Hamas decapitating babies" to denying the attack on 10/7 ever happened at all. To me that's disingenuous as gently caress.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Well at least you guys are getting some sweet new avs out of it :stare:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Also mentioned in the article that the rave was originally only going to be on thursday and friday, but got last minute approval from the army to continue on the saturday. Not saying they were complicit or any conspiracy poo poo, just... that's loving bad luck man, goddamn.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
gip actually stands for Goons in Pontoons

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
The rest of the post is hosed up enough even without the foreskin trophies

quote:

Since ancient times, we are working to repair the world and they are working to destroy. So 3500 years ago with the Philistines and so with their imagined descendants today even more so. We desire life and they desire terror and death. We fill the land with everything good and they fill it with dirt and ashes.

Some real lunatic bullshit

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

FrozenVent posted:

What does this video bring to the discussion?

It's funny?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Alchenar posted:

Also the madman factor where if someone turns the dial from self-preservation all the way over to aggression they can do a lot of damage before they get taken down. If you have 12 guys against 2 then you've already won the fight, there's absolutely no reason for you to accept any risk at all, particularly not from someone who will very happily trade 1 for 1 with you.

This isn't really true at all imo, you're never going to win a fight if you aren't willing to even engage, no matter what numerical advantage you have. It's also pretty clearly not what's happening in that video anyway.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

psydude posted:

Dunno if it counts when you have a literal death wish.

This is a stupid loving thing to say dude

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

psydude posted:

Hamas leadership anticipated it would be a largely one-way trip.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-palestine-war-hamas-and-israel-were-inches-deal-hostages

That's from a pro-Palestine Qatari newspaper.

And interviews with Hamas / PIJ fighters since then have contained similarly fatalistic thinking.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/10/funerals-for-west-bank-dead-jenin-israel-hamas-war

It's the same poo poo as "dyin for are country" or the flag, or the king or jesus or whatever. Everyone says that poo poo.
Saying that means they can't actually be brave just sounds like classic gwot era islamophobia/racism.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

pmchem posted:

in your pic, it looks like the cars were trashed by angry people then set on fire

Cars don't get like that from being "trashed" by angry dudes wtf is this argument lol

e] It doesn't even make sense in the context of the argument because it was confirmed by Haaretz that an Israeli Apache did respond to the attack at the festival and did hit civilians as well as hamas.
There's also eyewitness testimony from other places during the attack that Israeli tanks were shelling houses with hamas fighters and israeli hostages inside them. Israel has shown time and time again that they don't give a gently caress about killing civilians and will just blame it on Hamas.
I'm not saying Israel killed all or even most of the festival victims (honestly I don't really think it even matters except that it keeps getting brought up) but like, I really really don't understand why some of you guys still insist on giving Israel the benefit of the doubt about any of this stuff given how consistently they lie about civilian deaths. They've been doing it for loving decades at this point.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Danger... close?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Stc2POsig4