Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

E- I'm not supporting either side, but it's hard not to find some sympathy for the people of Gaza; I feel the same way about Hamas as I did about the insurgents in Iraq: what else would we expect? Reminded me of that verse from the Tyler Childers song "Long Violent History".

I can understand, empathize and agree with taking up arms against an occupier. Resistance is a natural right. Where you lose me is the wholesale slaughter of non-combatants and deliberate targeting of civilians. That's not resistance, it's terrorism and a war crime. That isn't meant to handwave away what Israel is doing with its airstrikes and cutting off food, water and fuel to Gaza. Both sides have plenty of blood on their hands and I feel for the innocent Palestinians and Israeli citizens who will bear the punishment for their leaders' crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Arione posted:

drat, these lego kits get more realistic every year.

You suck if you think this is funny.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I feel like the past twenty years have nearly fully desensitized me to human suffering, especially with so much of it being on video, televised, or broadcast live. There's a point where it just becomes white noise or static in my brain and it just stops being a thing that gets processed. I really wish that people weren't so lovely overall and could just get along somehow.

I've been a big fan of GoPro cameras for over a decade. And about six months ago, I got a DJI drone. I've had a lot of fun with both documenting my mountain bike rides and travel adventures and making stupid little videos that get 20 likes from my friends on Instagram, and then I see footage of Hamas committing atrocities in first-person video, and Israel releasing drone footage of a "target" being hit. War going real-time and prime-time should have had the effect of making the world go "yo, what the gently caress" and instead it's more like "yo, this is loving awesome" when it's their side wielding the camera. The sheer volume of horrifying poo poo being released in 4k really does desensitize and inure us all that hey, the world is not at all ok and all of this poo poo is really hosed up. I'd be lying if I said this hasn't taken a toll on me over the past few years especially.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Not coincidentally I think the post-World War order that produced them is collapsing in parallel.

The foundation has been eroding for a long time, but I think the first time I really understood this in practical terms was in 2014. Russia was invading eastern Ukraine with "little green men" while swearing up and down they weren't, and in the Middle East, the Islamic State was seizing vast amounts of territory across Syria and Iraq and releasing videos showing them blowing up the barrier sand berms and declaring an end to Sykes-Picot. I've always known that the international system was anarchic, but these two things especially really just demonstrated that the so-called rules-based international order basically existed by consent of those who created it. It's a fig leaf on state power's more barbarous instincts, and we've seen that writ large over the past decade especially.

I haven't really posted about this here before, but from 2009-2010, I lived and worked in Egypt as an English language instructor. Most of my students were professional adults in their late 20s to late 30s, all of whom were educated and working for Egyptian firms that worked with larger multinational companies across a variety of sectors, be they oil/gas, banking, etc. The overwhelming majority of them were super friendly and decent people, but holy loving poo poo the amount of casual anti-Semitism I heard tossed around was loving appalling. I had students who were really friendly and kind to me talk about how they'd heard that six million Jews weren't really killed in the Holocaust or how the Mossad warned all New York Jews to stay away from the WTC on 9/11. I also had one student claim that Jews could fly. To be honest, the people who were least anti-Semitic were the few Salafi students I had because they interpreted the Quran so literally that they took the whole "People of the Book" thing so seriously that they merely saw Jews and Christians as people who hadn't come around to the teachings of Mohammed as revealed by Allah. This doesn't even begin to account for the insane conspiracy theories I had to occasionally dispel, such as the US preparing to invade Egypt and other like bullshit.

And then you go to a place like Beirut, where even the walls of the nicest neighborhoods are still pockmarked by bullet holes from the Israeli occupation and the civil war. History has a long loving memory in this part of the world, and having been exposed to both sides of this conflict, it's easy to understand the paranoid, insular and aggressive mindset that Israel has and also easy to understand why the populations of neighboring states hate Israel in the ways that they do. There is absolutely nothing easy, clean or simple about any of this.

I'm just so loving sick of seeing innocent people suffer.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

It has led to some delightful Khemri TV memes, however.

https://twitter.com/MikeBeauvais/status/1215073526736195585

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Israeli embassy in Jordan apparently besieged by hundreds of protestors trying to breach the grounds.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Don't worry everyone, help is on the way
https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1715056811936739778

:jerkbag:

Yes, I know worlds fifth largest economy, likely the front runner for 2028, etc etc. Still seems pretty dumb though.

What a loving chode. What does he expect to do other than get in the way?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wait I thought Elon was all about freeze peach on the bird app now

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The Wall Street Journal has really been pushing the whole Iranian involvement angle on the October 7 attack. Paywall-free link here:

quote:

TEL AVIV—In the weeks leading up to Hamas’s Oct. 7 attack on Israel, hundreds of the Palestinian Islamist militant group’s fighters received specialized combat training in Iran, according to people familiar with intelligence related to the assault.

Senior Palestinian officials and Iranian Brig. Gen. Esmail Qaani, the head of Quds Force, also attended, they said.

More than 1,400 people, mostly civilians, were killed Oct. 7 by Hamas fighters who poured across the border from the Gaza Strip. Scores of others were kidnapped and taken back to Gaza, where they are being held hostage.
Brig. Gen. Esmail Qaani, the head of the Quds Force, the foreign-operations arm of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, in Tehran last year. Photo: WANA News Agency/Reuters
A gunman in the Gaza Strip on the day of Hamas’s recent deadly attack on Israel. Photo: Ahmed Zakot/SOPA/Zuma Press

Hamas attackers used aerial drones to disable Israeli observation posts and high-tech surveillance equipment. Some used paragliders to fly into Israel. Others rode on motorcycles, commonly used by Iranian paramilitary groups but not by Hamas until Oct. 7.

U.S. officials said Iran has regularly trained militants in Iran and elsewhere, but they have no indications of a mass training right before the attack. U.S. officials and the people familiar with the intelligence said they had no information to suggest Iran conducted training specifically to prepare for the events of Oct. 7.

On Wednesday, Israel’s military offered some of its most blunt comments yet on Iran’s role in aiding Hamas and other militant groups.

“Before the war, Iran directly assisted Hamas with money, training and weapons and technological know-how,” said Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari, the military’s chief spokesman. “Even now, Iran is helping Hamas with intelligence.”

Since the Hamas attack, Israel has waged a major air campaign, striking thousands of targets in Gaza and has been preparing for a ground campaign. The country has said its aim is to dismantle Hamas, and end its rule in Gaza.

The conflict risks spilling over into a regional confrontation with Iran and the web of anti-Israel Islamist militant groups that it backs, which spreads from Yemen and Iraq to Syria and Lebanon. And the U.S. has moved forces, including two carrier battle groups, into the region.
Iranian lawmakers in Tehran on the day of Hamas’s attack. Photo: Icana News Agency/Zuma Press

Israel and the U.S. have sought to highlight Iran’s role in supporting Hamas and other groups hostile to Israel, including the Lebanese Shiite militant group Hezbollah, which has been engaging in sporadic exchanges of fire with Israeli troops on Israel’s northern border.

But, with the specter of a wider war looming, the U.S. has said it has no evidence that Iran was directly involved in planning or approving the Oct. 7 attack.

The Wall Street Journal, citing senior Hamas and Hezbollah officials, has reported that the Quds Force helped plan the attack and agreed that it could go ahead at a meeting in Beirut on Oct. 2 with leaders of Hamas and Hezbollah. An adviser to the Syrian government and a European official gave the same account of Iran’s involvement.

These accounts of the Oct. 2 meeting have been disputed by senior U.S. officials and others familiar with intelligence surrounding the attacks. Several U.S. officials said Washington has “compelling” intelligence indicating that Iranian leaders were surprised by the Hamas assault.

“The information that we have does not show a direct connection to the Hamas attacks on Oct. 7 as it relates to Iran. Again, that’s something that we’ll continue to look closely at,” Pentagon spokesman Air Force Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder said last week.

How Hamas Uses an Underground Maze of Tunnels Beneath the Gaza Strip

How Hamas Uses an Underground Maze of Tunnels Beneath the Gaza Strip

How Hamas Uses an Underground Maze of Tunnels Beneath the Gaza StripPlay video: How Hamas Uses an Underground Maze of Tunnels Beneath the Gaza Strip
Beneath Gaza, a labyrinth of tunnels used by Hamas will complicate any potential Israeli ground offensive in the Palestinian enclave. WSJ’s Rory Jones—who visited the tunnels in 2014—explains the unique challenge they pose for Israel. Photo: Yousef Mohammed/Zuma Press

Hamas officials have boasted of Iran’s support since the attacks. “Hezbollah and Iran supported us with weapons, expertise, and technology,” Khaled Meshaal, a senior Hamas official in Doha, said in an interview with Al Arabiya.

As the attack started on Oct. 7, according to Western and Egyptian officials, Hamas contacted IRGC and Hezbollah officials abroad to inform them that the assault had started.

Since then, the IRGC, Hezbollah, Hamas and other militias in the region say they have been in close contact to coordinate their activities. Quds Force commander Qaani was in recent days in Lebanon to consult with Hamas and Hezbollah officials, militant leaders and an IRGC adviser said.

The IRGC reports directly to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. It operates independently of Iran’s elected government and its conventional military, with its own navy and business operations.

Iran has long provided training to militants across the Middle East, including Gaza militants, Afghan mercenaries who fight in Syria, Hezbollah fighters from Lebanon, Shiite forces from Iraq and the Houthis from Yemen, said Saeid Golkar, an IRGC expert at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.
An image released last year that appeared on social media showing fighters, including from Hamas, training at an undisclosed location. Photo: Reuters

“This sort of operation is very difficult to do without Hezbollah and IRGC support. Hamas does not have the capability to do that,” Golkar said.

Norman Roule, who was the top U.S. intelligence official for Iran from 2008-2017, said the IRGC has long been involved with training, funding and supporting groups in the region, but said that didn’t mean Iran directed the Oct. 7 attacks. “Rarely is it necessary for Iran to involve its personnel,” he said.

Hamas, an Islamist offshoot of the Sunni Muslim Brotherhood, has had an up and down relationship with Iran, a Shia Muslim theocracy.

The Revolutionary Guard backed Hamas as the Palestinian group emerged as an important militant organization fighting Israel in the 1980s, providing weapons and funding, European and Israeli officials have previously said.

The relationship broke down around 2012 when Hamas sided in the Syrian civil war against President Bashar al-Assad, an Iranian ally. The Islamic Republic cut all funding to Hamas.

In 2017, Hamas said it was receiving funding again from Tehran. At that stage, the IRGC expanded its military support, providing training and components that enabled Hamas to assemble its own drones and missiles to target Israel.

I don't think Iran had a direct role in planning the attack, but I'm betting that Israel finds a way to hit people in Iran that it thinks may have been part of the Hamas training aspect.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Looks like it's starting.
https://israelpalestine.liveuamap.com/en/2023/27-october-israeli-army-spokesman-the-ground-forces-are-expanding

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

You know who are actual freedom fighters? The Kurds that Erdogan’s regime has been bombing heavily lately. gently caress him, his solidarity with Palestinians is only as deep as his need to distract the populace from how he has ruined Turkey.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

In fairness, from what friends with family in Israel have said, this isn't too far fetched. The way it was explained to me is people have a "When the immediate crisis is over, he's gotta go"

Also his son being in the US right now is pissing a lot of people off over there apparently.

Netanyahu has presided over so many bouts with Hamas in the nearly 15 years he's been in power that he absolutely owns 1. creating the conditions where Hamas would be able to conduct the 10/7 attack and 2. allowed his extremist political allies to escalate things in the West Bank to the degree that the IDF diverted resources away from Gaza 3. sowing so much discontent with his "judicial reforms" that it led to a public rift with commanders in the IDF, which is pretty unheard of for them. He absolutely can't survive this from a political standpoint, and if he did make yet another Faustian bargain to somehow stay in power, I think there's a non-zero chance that the IDF would remove him.

Here's a paywall-free NYT article concerning the intelligence, military and political failures, which are too many to list here: https://archive.ph/DEY3c

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Electric Wrigglies posted:

And reportedly, that footage keeps getting deleted off the combat footage reddit so it is not a popular video with some at least to have out in the wild. I wonder if it is because people don't like to see IDF challenges or because it is Hamas fighting the IDF out in the scrub and not with three babies strapped to their RPG.

Also notice "cope cages" on the Israel tanks and APCs. The were roundly derided when the Russians used them going into Ukraine so interesting to see them make a re-appearance in Gaza.

Also no infantry support for the tanks, which makes them incredibly vulnerable to things like this. During the early days of the Syrian civil war, rebels took out a lot of Assad’s tanks by putting grenades in the turret barrel or throwing Molotovs on the engine block and then tossing grenades in the hatch when the crew would try to escape. The only thing I can think of in this case is that the Israelis were using tanks as artillery and didn’t expect to get engaged at all.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Discussion Quorum posted:

It's not just one person but official policy, I guess?

https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1724518980352614696?s=19

On an unrelated note, when someone matter-of-factly shares something like that with you, without any preface, disclaimer, or hint of irony, it's a pretty good sign that they think it's completely normal!

My best friend is Jewish and scammed his way on a Birthright trip like 15 years ago (he just wanted a free trip overseas and used it as a springboard to explore other places) and he said that even then the organizers were hugely pushing participants to find a nice Jewish boy/girl on their trip (or develop a crush on their IDF security detail), make Aliyah to Israel, and then have lots of Jewish babies. There's a sizable contingent of the Israeli population that sees demographics as triumph over the damage done to the Jewish people during the Holocaust and centuries of other pogroms, so I can at least understand the whole sperm retrieval thing even if it's pretty loving wacky otherwise.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

But then you don’t get the cum QRF.

The Cum QRF: for the absolute last time that you hear “don’t worry, it happens to a lot of guys”

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Not exactly the same thing, but during the Syrian civil war the US was providing ATGMs to al Nusra, I think. But they only sent replacement missiles if the rebels could provide video of them hitting a target with the first one. The videos of course went straight to YouTube.

Minor quibble: the US never gave TOWs/ATGMs to Nusra. We gave them to “moderate” rebel groups who at least didn’t have any jihadist leanings, and yeah, they had to film each strike as a precondition to getting more. Nusra ended up with more than a few because they were basically like “hey, we want those missiles or we’ll kill your little group and your families and then take them.”

You don’t have to have an MBA or Six Sigma black belt to know that arming Al-Qaeda is a bad idea.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It's not exactly a unique experience in the history of warfare for a small, attacking force that has the initiative (like Hamas arguably did on October 7) to rout a larger force, which seems to be exactly what happened here.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/drelidavid/status/1729097251262181593

Seems like Rhodesian Lowtax felt compelled to visit Israel after his disastrous anti-Semitic tweets and feud with Media Matters from a week and a half ago.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wrennic_26 posted:

Source?

There are plenty of Israeli citizens back and forth to the U.S., or with family in the U.S. -- not so much with China. With the U.S. a major security guarantor for Israel this would be a significant risk for not much benefit.

Israel is a major perpetrator of espionage against the US, especially industrial espionage. A decade ago, a company I worked for was acquired by an Israeli firm, but the acquisition was blocked by the US government via the CFIUS process over concerns that the Israeli employees would have unrestricted access to sensitive travel data.

Also, they try to honeypot American intelligence officers whenever they can. A former colleague of mine was former FBI, and he worked on some joint case with some Israeli intel types. One of them, a beautiful woman, basically threw herself at him and he recognized it for what it was and politely declined. He reported it to his counterintelligence counterpart, who laughed and said they barely even document each case when that happens.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Israel is also one of the major sources of off-the-shelf individual spyware software. Those are the sort of mass zero-day root exploit packages you generally see employed for espionage against another company or of surveillance on a unionizing workers. For an easy $10k you can just have all of someones DMs copy pasted to you in real time.

https://darknetdiaries.com/episode/100/

This should be required listening. It's about the NSO Group, an Israeli cyber-espionage firm made up of (former?) Unit 8200 (Israel's SIGINT agency, similar to our NSA) and their selling of exploit tools to authoritarian regimes who use them to spy on human rights activists/journalists/political opposition figures. It's pretty fascinating, if not terrifying/revolting, stuff.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://imgur.com/a/pPwx2jf

Can someone explain why Musk’s PC looks so hosed up here? I know they’re supposed to extend from just below the collarbone to just above the navel but something about this looks seriously off. Maybe it’s because he has the build of a sack of potatoes but he’s making Jared Kushner look like an ~operator~ from when he wore one in Iraq.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Jesus loving Christ this thread was so much better when it was merely about Israel bombing the poo poo out of Palestinian civilians.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

So if i wound up in Sri Lanka, I could choose to pay all my income taxes to Sri Lanka, a good country that has never engaged in war crimes, rather than to the US. or i could pay most of my income taxes to the US, a bad country, and the remainder to Sri Lanka

I regret to inform you that you may need to Google the Tamil Tigers.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You also don't need to pay US federal taxes as an expat unless you're making a staggering amount of money. I think there are some states that require you to pay state taxes no matter what though.

There's always that one dick at the bar humblebragcomplaining that he has to pay US income tax.

I paid US income tax as an ESL teacher in Egypt making not even US minimum wage (but enough to live like a god-king in Egypt). Uncle Sam will always have a hand in your pocket.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

lightpole posted:

I recall Jordan having Palestinian refugee camps that are indeed destabilizing or a focal point for the populace, they might provide examples of the consequences.

Lebanon is the country that has the biggest problems with its Palestinian refugee camps. They're entirely self-policed (the Lebanese Armed Forces rarely if ever goes into them) and there are frequent clashes between rival militant groups. It's a pretty big mess and understandably none of the surrounding countries want that.

Count Roland posted:

If somehow Egypt was sufficiently bribed maybe it could set up a sort of neighbouring enclave on their side of the border, still adjacent to Israel. Call it a temporary humanitarian camp. Don't use the word refugee. Use the Israeli strategy of blockade to prevent the Gazans from integrating into Egyptian society. Make UNRWA responsible for for the camp, so the Egyptian state doesn't need to worry about feeding everyone. Hand-wave about their being a plan to re-integrate Palestinians into Gaza after Hamas is flushed out or something. This still seems far-fetched but may be possible.

This is such a craven and awful thing that of course Sisi would probably do it. But North Sinai has had its own issues with Islamist insurgents going back well over a decade, and plunking down a bunch of "totally-not-refugees, bro, they're temporary guests" would absolutely give them a fresh new pool of people to recruit from.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Looks like Israel just did a drone strike in southern Beirut.
https://apnews.com/article/lebanon-beirut-explosion-suburbs-hezbollah-israel-2a43fe948e8cb49c64b34bb963d77f64

quote:

BEIRUT (AP) — The TV station of Lebanon’s Hezbollah group says top Hamas official Saleh Arouri was killed Tuesday in an explosion in a southern Beirut suburb.

Arouri, one of the founders of Hamas’ military wing, had headed the group’s presence in the West Bank. Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had threatened to kill him even before the Hamas-Israel war began on Oct. 7.

Israeli officials declined to comment.

Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency said the blast killed four people and was carried out by an Israeli drone.

Other articles say the blast occurred in Dahiyeh, which is Hezbollah's main stronghold in Beirut. This definitely marks an escalation as Israel hasn't hit Beirut since the 2006 war.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Where else are there Hamas leaders?

UAE I believe has some. Israel can't exactly drone strike those but assassinations are always possible.

Palestinian leaders of some variety were in Syria before the civil war but left when it really kicked off. I'm not sure if any have returned since the fitting died down.

Iran? Turkey?

Qatar, Tunisia, Algeria all come to mind. I think Qatar was planning on kicking out the Hamas figures who have been in Doha because they don't want assassinations happening in their country.

Ismail Haniyeh, Hamas' former political leader who was exiled to Damascus, found himself PNG'd after he publicly sided with the Syrian rebels against Bashar al-Assad. Not sure if Hamas' current pro-Iran leadership has a presence there again.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1742210055854789040

I guess when you've defended Jeffrey Epstein, defending Israel in the ICC is just the next logical rung in the Ladder of Tarnished Legacies.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Itamar Ben-Gvir, Israel's National Security Minister and a major member of the country's far right, tweeted this yesterday:
https://twitter.com/itamarbengvir/status/1742291293307310186?t=YiV79H6JEUz0-k9oURIMFw&s=19

Translation:

quote:

Really appreciate the United States of America but with all due respect we are not another star on the American flag. The United States is our best friend, but first of all we will do what is best for the State of Israel: the migration of hundreds of thousands from Gaza will allow the residents of the enclave to return home and live in security and protect the IDF soldiers.

So yeah, forced transfer and annexation sure does seem to be on the menu.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

It seems a bit, i dunno, hyper cynical? Like the author is jerking off about how crassly cynical they can be to people honestly asking for advice in good faith.

GIP in the late 2000s to the mid-2010s was a wild place. This is a timeless classic from that era.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This is just loving embarrassing.

quote:

Pelosi Wants F.B.I. to Investigate Pro-Palestinian Protesters

The former House speaker suggested without offering evidence that some protesters calling for a cease-fire in Gaza had financial ties to Russia and Vladimir V. Putin.

Representative Nancy Pelosi, Democrat of California and the former House speaker, on Sunday called for the F.B.I. to investigate protesters demanding a cease-fire in the Israel-Hamas conflict, suggesting without evidence that some activists may have ties to Russia and President Vladimir V. Putin.

“For them to call for a cease-fire is Mr. Putin’s message,” Ms. Pelosi said during an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “Make no mistake, this is directly connected to what he would like to see. Same thing with Ukraine. It’s about Putin’s message. I think some of these protesters are spontaneous and organic and sincere. Some, I think, are connected to Russia.”

When pressed on whether she believed some of the demonstrators were “Russian plants,” Ms. Pelosi said: “Seeds or plants. I think some financing should be investigated. And I want to ask the F.B.I. to investigate that.”

Ms. Pelosi, who was first elected speaker in 2007 and again in 2019, led House Democrats for 20 years before stepping aside for Representative Hakeem Jeffries of New York, the minority leader. Still, she remains influential among congressional Democrats. Her remarks appear to be the first time a prominent U.S. politician has publicly suggested Russia may be backing cease-fire protests to help foment division among Democrats.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations condemned Ms. Pelosi’s comments as “an unsubstantiated smear” and “downright authoritarian.”

“Her comments once again show the negative impact of decades of dehumanization of the Palestinian people by those supporting Israeli apartheid,” Nihad Awad, the group’s national executive director, said in a statement. “Instead of baselessly smearing those Americans as Russian collaborators, former House Speaker Pelosi and other political leaders should respect the will of the American people by calling for an end to the Netanyahu government’s genocidal war on the people of Gaza.”

Progressive activists and voters who support a cease-fire in Gaza have warned President Biden that his approach to the conflict would threaten his re-election and cost Democrats support at the ballot box in November. A variety of groups, including Jewish, human rights and antiwar organizations, have led protests around the country demanding an end to Israel’s military campaign, which began after Hamas’s deadly attack on Oct. 7. Pro-Palestinian demonstrators, citing the soaring death toll and deep humanitarian crisis in Gaza, have disrupted Democratic campaign events in recent weeks, including Mr. Biden’s public appearances and a speech Ms. Pelosi gave in Seattle last week.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Ms. Pelosi pointed to a social media post by Ian Bremmer, a political scientist and professor at Columbia University, who wrote that “putin benefits from continued war in gaza and expanded chaos in the middle east.”

The spokesperson said Ms. Pelosi would continue to focus on “stopping the suffering in Gaza” and demanding that all hostages be released.

“Speaker Pelosi has always supported and defended the right of all Americans to make their views known through peaceful protest,” the statement said. “Speaker Pelosi is acutely aware of how foreign adversaries meddle in American politics to sow division and impact our elections, and she wants to see further investigation ahead of the 2024 election.”

Democrats have been deeply divided over policy toward Israel since Hamas killed about 1,200 people and abducted another 240 during its Oct. 7 attack. Israel’s military response has killed more than 26,000 people, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.

A New York Times/Siena College poll found that voters broadly disapproved of Mr. Biden’s handling of the conflict, with nearly as many Americans saying they want Israel’s military campaign to stop as those who said it should continue. The split poses an acute challenge for Mr. Biden as he seeks re-election and tries to hold together a Democratic coalition that elected him to the White House in 2020.

And of course this old ghoul is probably going to get reelected next year.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Personally, I think the rest of you warmongers all need to take a loving seat and realize that the Houthi movement is the last stand of freedom fighters wiling to stand up and confront Israel with whatever meager means they have. If it weren't for the Partisans of Allah, who else would stand up to the perfidious alliance of Zionists and Crusaders as they seek to move their cargo through the Red Sea?

The treachery of the Zionist-Crusader alliance runs deep. A global cabal of neoconservatives, clearly the ones behind the actual 10/7 attack on plucky lil Israel, have been anticipating this very moment by planting libelous and disgusting stories about the rightly-guided Houthi movement. They've used their pawns in Human Rights Watch in fabricating the Houthi siege on Taiz and enlisted their running dogs in Amnesty International to spin fanciful tales of of torture and civilian displacement in areas under their control. Ignore these lies and instead cast your eyes to the sky, where you might be so fortunate as to catch a glimpse of a Houthi anti-ship missile, something they definitely developed on their own and certainly not because of the spurious, fictitious allegations that they're an Iranian cat's paw, as it streaks toward the Red Sea and the never-ending stream of Zionist cargo ships.

Or, y'know, you do not in fact have to hand it to the loving Houthis and come to the conclusion that "gently caress Israel, gently caress Hamas, gently caress America, gently caress Saudi Arabia, gently caress Iran and gently caress the Houthis" is a perfectly moral and logical perspective in assessing this conflict.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stringent posted:

I've been thinking about it, trying to find a silver lining for the genocide going on in Gaza, and I think we can all agree that one good thing to come from all of this is finally informing the world about how terrible the Houthis are. I mean, before they started these recent rounds of attacks on shipping in solidarity with Gaza literally nobody was talking about their horrendous antisemitism or whatever. It's a shame it's taking a genocide to bring this to light, but you really have to be grateful to the true champions of truth and justice that have brought the perfidious Houthi to the forefront of the conversation without being distracted by the actions of Israel and their enabler the United States.

gently caress off.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

You plan for the worst option. Egypt is refusing to take refugees but if Israel starts bombing the refugees huddled on the border they'll likely let them in, at the same time Egypt has said they will suspend the Camp David Accords if Israel does anything to the Palestinians on the border.

Suspending the Camp David Accords would be a major step towards another war between Israel and its neighbors. Expect to see Egyptian troop movements in concert with the building of this border camp, because Egypt has basically issued an ultimatum to Israel now.

https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/article-786635

quote:

But on Monday, Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry denied the AP report and said that Egypt would uphold the its accord with Israel, which the countries signed in 1979.

“A peace agreement between Egypt and Israel already exists, which has been in effect for the past forty years, and we will continue it,” Shoukry said at a press conference in Slovenia, where he is on an official visit.

The Egyptian military is basically a patronage network in uniform with an army that appears impressive in terms of manpower and equipment, but it is WOEFULLY unprepared to fight any kind of major war that isn't against its unarmed and defenseless people and its bloated officer corps is smart enough to know that. They are not going to risk their position of prestige and perks by getting the poo poo kicked out of them yet again.

If anything, if Israel displaces Rafah into Egypt, the Egyptian government will throw a temper tantrum and get the US to pay them another billion dollars a year in graft aid to help pay for another intractable refugee situation a few miles to the west of the current one.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

Couldn't you say the same of the Saudi military lol, they get brand new American toys and get the poo poo kicked out of them by the Houthis on the reg, because they suck at military.

Any chance to post this picture of a Saudi SOF guy with the optic on his weapon mounted backwards

So to answer your question, absolutely yes.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Active duty USAF member set himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy in DC today.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/man-sets-self-fire-israeli-embassy-air-force/

Critical condition with life threatening injuries. loving sad as hell.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

When u want to say “stop drop and roll” but only “get down on the ground do it now or I’ll loving shoot you” comes out

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://archive.is/xgjXM

quote:

Only two approved foreign military sales to Israel have been made public since the start of conflict: $106 million worth of tank ammunition and $147.5 million of components needed to make 155 mm shells. Those sales invited public scrutiny because the Biden administration bypassed Congress to approve the packages by invoking an emergency authority.
Skip to end of carousel
Israel-Gaza war

But in the case of the 100 other transactions, known in government-speak as Foreign Military Sales or FMS, the weapons transfers were processed without any public debate because each fell under a specific dollar amount that requires the executive branch to individually notify Congress, according to U.S. officials and lawmakers who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive military matter.

This is conducting foreign policy and facilitating Israel’s war with the same kind of tactics a mob accountant would use to avoid hitting the dollar amount that requires the bank to notify the feds.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

jeez guys, almost like you need to disrupt the enemy's economy during war.

personally, i think attacking civilian supply ships is a bad thing and onpy filthy terrorists would do that. a big country like the us, canada, japan, russia or nazi germany would never sink a civilian suppy ship during a war. thats never happened in the history of shipping, we are experiencing a first.

gently caress yeah dude, all of those container ships full of missiles and bombs for Israel, just foundering at the bottom of the Red Sea. gently caress YEAH.

Except lol wait no, it's aid shipments to loving Sudan that are being delayed because of the attacks on shipping. Guess it's just a matter of which genocide the Houthis care more about.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2024/feb/16/houthi-attacks-in-red-sea-having-a-catastrophic-effect-on-aid-to-sudan

Meanwhile Biden is apparently going to reveal plans to build a port in Gaza and open up another land border crossing for humanitarian aid during SOTU tonight, which makes me wonder if Israel's going to dust off the USS Liberty playbook or regrettably blow up an aid convoy because they saw a Hamas fighter within 10 miles.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/07/biden-us-port-gaza-aid-delivery

quote:

US forces will build a temporary port on the Gaza shoreline in the next few weeks to allow delivery of humanitarian aid on a large scale, Joe Biden will announce in the State of the Union speech.

“We are not waiting on the Israelis. This is a moment for American leadership,” a senior US official said on Thursday, reflecting growing frustration of what is seen in Washington as Israeli obstruction of road deliveries on a substantial scale.

The port will be built by US military engineers operating from ships off the Gaza coast, who will not need to step ashore, US officials said. The aid deliveries will be shipped from the port of Larnaca in Cyprus, which will become the main relief hub.

“Tonight, the president will announce in his State of the Union address that he has directed the US military to undertake an emergency mission to establish a port in Gaza, working in partnership with like minded countries and humanitarian partners,” the official said. “ This port, the main feature of which is a temporary pier, will provide the capacity for hundreds of additional truckloads of assistance each day.”

In his State of the Union speech, Biden will also announce the opening of a new land crossing into the occupied and devastated coastal strip. Biden has been fiercely criticised within his own party for the failure to open up Gaza to humanitarian aid, with a famine looming and 30,000 Palestinians dead already since the start of war on 7 October.

The Israelis will be able to conduct inspections of the aid shipments in Larnaca, administration officials said.

“We will coordinate with the Israelis on the security requirements on land and work with the UN and humanitarian NGOs on the distribution of assistance within Gaza,” a senior official said. “Initial shipments will come via Cyprus enabled by the US military and a coalition of partners and allies. This new significant capability will take a number of weeks to plan and execute. The forces that will be required to complete this mission there are either already in the region or will begin to move there soon.”

The White House said that the operation would not involve boots on the ground, as the port and its temporary pier could be built from off the coast.

“The concept that’s been planned involves the presence of US military personnel on military vessels offshore but does not require US military personnel to go ashore to instal the pier or causeway facility that will will allow the transportation and humanitarian assistance ashore,” a senior official said.

More details soon …

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This is the company that is going to be running humanitarian aid out of the Gaza port- https://fogbow.ch

They don't list any countries where they've operated, agencies that they've worked with or their actual technical capabilities, but their company leadership bios are, uh, interesting. Here's a few:

quote:

Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense – Middle East
20 years of service in the Central Intelligence Agency
Leader in CIA Special Activities Center ground and maritime operations
Maritime operations expert
Infantry, US Marine Corps
Founder of Lobo Institute – providing advisory services on current and future conflicts
Fogbow Vice President

quote:

Commander US Navy, retired
20 years active duty, US Navy SEAL
Commanded SEAL Team in Joint Special Operations Command
Maritime interdiction, anti-piracy expert
Founder of Lobo Institute – providing advisory services on current and future conflicts
Fogbow Chief of Operations

And only one guy who actually seems to have a background in humanitarian assistance:

quote:

20+ years experience with the United Nations
20 years leading humanitarian teams
Coordination specialist in humanitarian crisis
Expert in international humanitarian law
High level negotiations in multilateral organizations
Fogbow Director of Humanitarian Initiatives

This looks like the board of a company bidding on a vendor contract with JSOC, not who I would have expected to be running humanitarian shipments into Gaza. Would have figured that there would have been Army SF or Civil Affairs types here given that they actually have experience providing humanitarian assistance in semi-permissive or denied areas rather than the guys who show up, kill everything on target and then write a book about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Even if this won’t go through until 2029, it’s still remarkably lovely that the US is considering selling $18 billion worth of F-15s to Israel, as if they could ever be outgunned by any of their neighbors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/02/us/politics/biden-israel-weapons-deal.html