Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's a line dating back to the Kosovo War that has stuck in my mind ever since. I think it was from an article written before the NATO air campaign, about some teenagers that got killed in a massacre by Serb paramilitaries (or maybe police or regular army, there wasn't much difference at the time.)

They weren't killed despite being young. They were killed because they were young.

See, Kosovo is 'hallowed Serbian land' ever since they lost a decisive battle against the Ottomans there. Except, by the late 20th century, it was settled mostly by Albanians, who are mostly Muslim. By the late 80s and beyond, there was some nasty Serb version of the 'Great Replacement' theory making the rounds, how Albanian peasants had more children, and would outgrow and displace the Serbs eventually.

I've tried not to look at the footage coming out of Israel too closely, but I just caught a picture of a blood-soaked crib and that line came back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Wombot posted:

It has been confirmed from multiple sources that children, as young as toddlers and babies, were absolutely murdered in this attack by Hamas. That is uncontrovertible.

There have also been statements about the specific act of beheading babies. Those are seemingly from one i24 reporter, based on interviews she conducted with IDF personnel, but otherwise have been uncorroborated.

Corroborated now. Sadly, but not surprisingly. We really shouldn't need to go into the specifics on how toddlers were murdered.

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1712348194984661152?t=Lyc0LJMmt8wlEYVdmYsuxg&s=19

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

mrmcd posted:

Depending on who you ask either the hospital is a pile of rubble with 500 bodies inside, or some cars in the parking lot got lightly bbq'ed. Seems like this should be something that could be figured out in a territory the size of Manhattan that has literally the whole world watching it right now.

https://x.com/Nrg8000/status/1714535497958334678?s=20

OSINTers are one of the reasons I still watch my twitter feed.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

There's a lot of people out there who are calling themselves OSINT wonks because they find and comment on images of events from social media. That's not at all what high quality OSINT is all about.

Yeah, be skeptical of aggregators. But at the same time, there's plenty of people who didn't just jump on the OSINT bandwagon recently, but did OSINT as far back as Syria. Following the Ukraine war should have given anyone the opportunity to learn who the most sober clear name security professionals on twitter are, and sticking to whom those repost gives you a measure of reliability.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...dd-f0ff7b550000

quote:

As of now, there are two known events where Israeli civilians were apparently killed due to Israeli fire. The first was during the hostage situation at Kibbutz Be’eri, where 12 hostages were being held by 40 Hamas terrorists. In the heavy crossfire between Israeli forces and the kidnappers, 10 hostages died. According to the testimony of the two Israeli survivors, at least some of them died as a result of Israeli fire. The second is the incident in which a helicopter may have fired on Israelis who were fleeing the Nova trance festival in Re’im.