Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cugel the Clever posted:

This is the bizarre part for me, coming from a dumb software background with an ops-heavy culture: if your monitoring systems suddenly stop emitting data such that you no longer have visibility into the integrity of the system, you have high-severity alarms in place to alert on-call humans who should quickly be able sound a maximum-severity alarm that activates everyone.

It sounds like their monitoring systems got destroyed, telemetry stopped emitting, and the right alarming mechanisms either weren't in place or were ignored by a human operator.

like many software systems, if you don't expect something to fail, and it doesn't, you don't prioritize systems to monitor when it goes offline. i'll hazard a guess that most of these systems worked consistently when they weren't being bombed by drones

software, in a somewhat paradoxical way, is robust because it fails all the goddamn time, and the only way to make it reliable is to monitor the gently caress out of it and have automatic failure mitigation systems or at least active human attendants

some combination of that and very much expecting your border control measures to successfully prevent people from successfully importing small widely-available consumer products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

orange juche posted:

But something something rapture Armageddon.

Seriously, the US' Israel policy is significantly driven by evangelical wing nuts who believe that the nation of Israel is essential for Jesus to come back and rapture all the right people and leave the sinners on a ruined earth

isnt a significant part of our current stance biden's doing? congress of course controls aid funding but it's not like the executive is condemning anything or vetoing aid (on the contrary, biden is asking for it--though maybe as a cynical ploy to coax the anti-ukraine aid segment of the gop into an "ugh, fine, if we also send money to israel also" vote). he's certainly not doing it to bring on the rapture

i figured that angle was more along the lines of the usual strange bedfellows US middle east policy, where we're happy to support basically anyone that doesn't like iran and are currently way more interested in making the israelis and saudis bond over mutual dislike of iran, because having our various good and close friends who hate our mutual enemy in the region also be good friends with each other pays security dividends that we actually value, unlike human rights which we value when convenient

like sure, the executive will put out some token "we recommend maybe not doing this" rhetoric (apparently over rank and file USDOS protest that we should actually strongly recommend not doing this because long term popular sentiment matters and we're falling on the wrong side of that) but as long the israeli and saudi governments can bond over not liking iran nbd, israel can have little a warcrimes genocide as a treat

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

psydude posted:

Also keep in mind that Israel has a conscript military. So a lot of their forces heading into Gaza have zero practical experience with MOUT and have probably only really spent a grand total of a couple of weeks preparing for some of the most complex fighting terrain imaginable. Even for their reserves that have experience, 3-4 weeks is not enough time to shake off the rust and build unit cohesion/TTPs necessary to operate smoothly in that kind of environment. Layer in a healthy amount of hubris, and it's not a recipe for success.

zero motivation was a documentary and you can't tell me otherwise

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Yeah.

The walls/outbuildings are Osama’s Abbottabad compound.

dont miss the chillin saddam

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I’m not an expert on local practices, but why would one think that they’re not circumcised already?

yeah was trying to reconcile this with one of my pieces of muslim literature starting with the author reminiscing about how fun his big circumcision day party was, at least until he found out what exactly the occasion was by surprise

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

apropos of nothing, is there some sort of realpolitik reason for Biden to support Israel? it doesnt seem like they'd have much to offer the US strategically. do we want to keep them on goodish terms to outsource spying on the iranians to them? or is it more that he expects AIPAC to do collective punishment of the democrats if a democrat president raises their ire. idk if AIPAC's bullshit would reasonably be a threat to the presidential campaign

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

BUUNNI posted:

Do you have any evidence that the Zionist government provides any useful “mid east intel” or sells us information about our peer competitors? What does that even mean, are you suggesting Israel is spying on China for us and it thus behooves us to arm them and ignore their crimes against humanity?

israel has a vested interest in gathering regional intelligence for its own national security and an atypical role in the region, along with demonstrable expertise in electronic surveillance. idk about china, but i don't think it's way out in left field to expect that they can provide useful supplemental intelligence on states the US definitely cares about, such as the saudis and iran

US foreign policy is generally happy to ignore human rights abuses when convenient (see, again, the saudis). IMO israel's only a weird case there because theirs attract outsize attention among the US populace for whatever assorted reasons (compared to say, azerbaijan's recent actions in nagorno-karabakh, despite a historically fairly vocal armenian diaspora community in the US). at some point i would expect policymakers to say "yknow, that supplemental intelligence aint that worth it, aint like we dont have our own :nsa: all up in the saudis' poo poo", but im apparently wrong there. maybe biden just appreciates bibi's shrewd political acumen that much that he just gotta hand it to em

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Is there an advertising campaign out there saying that a consequential volume of people are just flat out denying Hamas exists or something? Is this some kind of talking point flaring through certain media spheres, "Omg the radical left that makes up 48% of your countrymen denies Hamas' involvement" or similar?

to a degree, yes. with recent viral Oakland city council snafu as an example, i don't think it's at all difficult to say that the JCRC intentionally chose a small non-representative sample of the most radical and vitriolic commenters against the amendment to also condemn Hamas' actions, with the goal of portraying them as representative. representing an opposing side of an issue as a uniform, extremely radical bloc is a time-honored tactic to sway anyone on the fence and to solidify the fears of those already on your side

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Don’t worry I’m sure they’ll find someone worse when she croaks

<looks at the current prominent SF democrat field>

yeah, gently caress that noise

rep Breed or Jenkins in a safe for life seat would suck rear end. idk about Wiener or Haney, my vague impression of them from across the bay has been "idk, somewhat ineffectual"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

TheBuilder posted:

Technically he could have seen the photos before

:nsa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

i submit that we rename the US to Amerika Birleşik Devletleri