Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah my guess is there's no way to a non-genocidal end to the conflict without the US and the other major powers buying into some version of BDS.

E: VVV oh I'm well aware, I just fail to see an alternative

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

if I moved my career to Texas like some of my coworkers, I would be required to sign a loyalty pledge to Israel

What the actual gently caress. How/why would you be required to do this?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PookBear posted:

he's talking about how the only possible result to a fair election is the entire palestinian diaspora showing up, voting in hamas, and killing all the jews.

A particularly ridiculous suggestion since it's not like all the leadership of the former IDF are going to poof out of existence if a One State Solution is implemented.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So the things the IDF definitely 100% found, promise we didn't put it here for the purpose of this film, is three bags with combat gear and a laptop? Quite the HQ they've raided there.

I was mighty confused as to what all the metal was doing in the MRI room as well, though in fairness to them it does not look like that MRI machine has been used lately.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Undoubtedly. I just don't know why you'd bother to put out such a half assed propaganda piece like it was some damning indictment of Hamas.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Aljazeera now reporting that the IDF decided to take a bulldozer to a Yasser Arafat memorial monument in the West Bank. Just really leaning into the collective punishment.

E: link
https://www.aljazeera.com/program/newsfeed/2023/11/15/yasser-arafat-memorial-destroyed-by-israeli-forces

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

I think that's a pretty narrow view on the realpolitik side of it.

While not exactly friendly, Israel still offers a counterbalance to Syrian government forces, and generally does not harbor the geopolitical opponents of US and EU. It also has provided plenty of testing for weapon systems in combat against its neighbors, and can be trusted to an extent to not sell that poo poo forward. That's just to name a few.

Israel has historically been an extremely useful go-between as well; if you (or the CIA) want to pass arms support to a third party (Iran, Mujahedeen, probably others) but don't want that meddling Congress to find out, the Mossad will happily skim some cash off the top and make the exchange for you!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

jaete posted:

What kind of binding resolution are you thinking about here? Something related to land Israel is occupying? What would Israel feel forced to do in that case do you think?

(I know nothing of the various issues, am curious)

Presumably any sort of action to enforce UNSC Resolution 242

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it's my understanding that the political class in Israel at its founding were primarily emigrating Europeans, who retained networks and connections to the political classes in Britain and France. The Arab states largely lacked these connections.

Arming Israel also came with the absolutely massive appeal of countering an Egypt who threatened Britain and France's access to the Suez Canal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Three letter agent, glow so bright!

Also, the .ch domain is for Switzerland, which I didn't know until I just now looked it up. Odd choice.

It's the Latin name for the Swiss Confederation, Confoederatio helvetica. They use it a lot on official, I assume it's a mix of romanticism and it being a compromise language (ie. none of the national languages)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Stringent posted:

What's the legality of Israel dropping bombs in the middle of Damascus?

Obvious act of war, but the realities of international politics are that that doesn't matter because what's Syria going to do about it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

My guess would be coming in over Iraq and Syria, the latter being a general mess nobody seems to care about anymore and without a single government to protest, and the former seems to be similarly perceived as fair game for sovereignty violations for some reason.

Violating Turkey's airspace seems like a massively inflammatory and generally poor idea, the Turkish Armed Forces are plenty competent, no reason to pick that fight if you don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Gonna go against the grain and suggest that Israel is not engaged in genocide. Israel does not have the goal of exterminating the Palestinian people. They'd be fine if that happens, but that is not the goal. They want them somewhere else. Jordan, Egypt, dead, doesn't matter to them but dead isn't the explicit goal.

That is genocide my man. It is also extremely literally the attitude Nazi Germany held towards Jews. Lots of crackpot schemes to export them to Madagascar or something, and then when that didn't pan out, death camps.