Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

No matter how many tons of ordnance they lay on, starvation and dehydration will still be the biggest killers. The blockade is the mortal threat, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Israel got a poo poo ton of aid immediately after founding; besides buying pretty much anything available on the Post WW2 arms market, they were given Western tanks and heavy weapons. By the 70s, IIRC, it became more like what we have today. It became more heavy in the 1980s as Reagan, funded by Evangelists, pushed for further aid.

This is all from memory, and if anything reads wrong, please correct me.

Not correcting, so much as amplifying-- Israel was very much an Anglo-French arms client until the threatened oil embargo during the 1967 war, at which point they pivoted much more to the US.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Are the types of anti-ship missiles being used in the Red Sea known currently? Id assume C-801s etc but Id think that size thing would damage a ship more than whats been reported.

Take your pick, there's a whole palette to choose from:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think Houthis doin' stuff is related enough it should go in this thread:

Several undersea communications cables in the Red Sea have been cut, affecting 25% of data traffic flowing between Asia and Europe, a telecoms company and a US official say.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

psydude posted:

US military and diplomatic support for Israel is largely due to US domestic politics and has very little to do with their value as a military or diplomatic partner in the region.

I'm convinced it's mostly inertia. Starting out as a Western-aligned island in a sea of Soviet arms clients, and now it's because generations of US policy makers grew up with the association as a given. The crazy Evangelical connection came well after the US had already committed.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'd like to imagine a world in which US forces would try to intercept the strikes going in both directions, but I know it's not the one we're living in now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's the thought that counts, I guess?
https://news.usni.org/2024/04/17/navy-transport-with-equipment-personnel-for-gaza-pier-back-home-after-engine-fire

quote:

A Navy ship on its way to Gaza with parts for the temporary pier returned home after experiencing a fire, the Navy said Wednesday.

USNS 2nd Lt. John P. Bobo (T-AK-3008) experienced a fire in its engine room on Thursday, April 11, while it was on its way to the Eastern Mediterranean Sea with equipment and personnel for the humanitarian efforts planned via a temporary pier in Gaza, a Navy spokesperson said in a statement to USNI News.

The crew extinguished the fire, and no injuries were reported. The ship returned to Jacksonville, Fla., on Wednesday for an assessment. The fire is under investigation, according to the statement.